|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Byron's friend in Chapter 1?
2. How does Momma figure out what Byron is doing in the locked bathroom?
(a) The toilet keeps flushing.
(b) The house is too quiet.
(c) She can smell smoke.
(d) She sees the bathroom locked.
3. How does Momma say to pay for the food at the store in Chapter 6?
(a) Sign for it.
(b) Use their allowance.
(c) Write a check.
(d) Take the nickel jar.
4. What does Momma say to Dad when he gets home after Byron changed his hair?
(a) "Our son is ashamed of us."
(b) "We have one less son."
(c) "There is a surprise waiting."
(d) "The delinquent did something stupid."
5. What is Byron's nickname?
6. Why is the store owner confused when the two children ask to sign the welfare list in Chapter 6?
(a) The Hicks are not on welfare.
(b) There is no list.
(c) He does not allow people to sign for items.
(d) He does not recognize them.
7. Where does Momma send Byron after Momma sees his hair?
(a) His room.
(b) Dad's office.
(c) The hair salon.
8. How does Kenny feel when he sees the person who stole his gloves getting punished?
9. Why is Kenny so grateful when Southern boys start coming to school?
(a) They can tell him about the south.
(b) They can be new friends.
(c) They are nice and wealthy.
(d) They take the attention off Kenny.
10. What does Byron throw at the bird on the phone wire?
(a) Bottle caps.
11. What is the nickname for Dad's car?
(a) Red Ruby.
(b) Black Brick.
(c) Green Gasser.
(d) Brown Bomber.
12. Why does Dad want to go to his sister's house at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her heat works.
(b) She is very lonely.
(c) She makes delicious food.
(d) Her cooler works.
13. What grade is Kenny in?
14. What does Kenny pretend Byron is after he sees what he did to his hair in Chapter 7?
(a) A hair stylist.
(b) A crazy person.
(c) A deathrow inmate.
(d) A Mexican celebrity.
15. Why is the method Momma suggests for buying food in Chapter 6 so embarrassing at first?
(a) They were saving their allowance for something else.
(b) They hate counting out all the money.
(c) They worry the owner will not believe them.
(d) They think it means they are on welfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7?
2. What is the name of the school Kenny attends?
3. Why is Dad fixing up the car?
4. In Chapter 3, what is the name of the oldest new boy?
5. What does Dad pretend to be while presenting the biggest addition to the car?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)