|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire wonder about her relationship with James if she were to go back to him?
2. How does Adam react when Claire tells him she is going back to James?
3. Who is Adam's former girlfriend?
4. Who prepares the meal that Adam and Claire eat?
5. What does Claire ask James if he brought with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
2. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
3. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
4. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
5. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
6. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
7. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
8. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
9. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
10. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters that either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)