|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire ask to babysit Kate?
2. How does Adam feel when he learns that Claire is going back to James?
3. What does Claire think would be the best for Kate?
4. What shocking thing does Claire tell James?
5. What news does Helen tell Claire that jolts Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
2. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
3. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
4. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
5. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
6. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
7. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
8. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
9. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
10. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Claire. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Claire?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)