|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Adam that Claire is going back to James?
2. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
3. What does James want to know when he calls Claire from London?
4. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. What advice does Claire's mother give her regarding her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
2. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
3. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
4. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
5. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
6. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
7. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
8. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
9. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
10. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 3
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)