|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire talk to on the phone before leaving the house?
2. What does James say that Claire always demanded in their marriage?
3. How does Claire feel about going back to James?
4. According to James, why did he leave Claire in the first place?
5. Why is the person in #110 upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
2. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
3. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
4. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
5. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
6. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
7. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
8. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
9. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
10. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Keyes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)