|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
2. What news does James deliver to Claire via a phone call?
3. What is James' state of mind when he leaves Claire's parents' house?
4. What shocking thing does Claire tell James?
5. What does Claire's mother say is the balm that will save Claire and James' marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
2. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
3. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
4. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
5. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
6. What will guide Claire's ultimate choice in a man?
7. Why can Laura not give Claire any advice before Claire's call with James?
8. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
9. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
10. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)