|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Claire's mother give her regarding her marriage?
2. How does Adam feel when he learns that Claire is going back to James?
3. What does Claire wish for regarding James?
4. Where will Adam and his daughter be living?
5. Why do Claire and Adam go to his bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
2. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
3. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
4. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
5. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
6. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
7. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
8. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
9. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
10. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)