|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Claire and Kate live after the divorce?
2. What does Claire do that upsets James when he comes over to her parents' home?
3. Why would Claire say she wanted to see James?
4. Why does the person in #110 not give Claire any advice?
5. What does James ask Claire when he calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
2. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
3. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
4. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
5. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
6. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
7. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
8. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
9. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
10. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Claire. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Claire?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)