|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking thing does Claire tell James?
2. What does James ask Claire when he calls?
3. Why does Claire tell James she is not coming back to him?
4. Why do Claire's mother and sisters fuss over her?
5. How does Claire react to James' declaration regarding their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
2. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
3. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
4. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
5. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
6. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
7. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
8. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
9. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
10. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)