|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bet Helen that Helen would not get involved with Adam?
2. How much will Helen win in the bet regarding not hooking up with Adam?
3. What does Claire realize about herself if she were to live with James again?
4. What is James' tone of voice when Claire calls to tell him she will return to him?
5. Under what conditions does James promise not to be unfaithful again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
2. What will guide Claire's ultimate choice in a man?
3. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
4. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
5. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
6. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
7. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
8. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
9. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
10. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Keyes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)