|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bet Helen that Helen would not get involved with Adam?
2. What is James' state of mind when he leaves Claire's parents' house?
3. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
4. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
5. Why does Claire dress up Kate this morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
2. Why can Laura not give Claire any advice before Claire's call with James?
3. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
4. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
5. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
6. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
7. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
8. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
9. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
10. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Claire's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)