|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time has James promised to call Claire?
2. What does Claire realize about herself if she were to live with James again?
3. What does Claire's mother tell the person in #147?
4. Who does Claire talk to on the phone before leaving the house?
5. Why does Claire cry after James leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
2. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
3. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
4. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
5. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
6. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
7. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
8. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
9. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
10. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)