|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire learn from her meeting with James in London?
2. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
3. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. What does Helen wish regarding Claire and Adam's relationship?
5. Who calls the house looking for Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
2. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
3. Why can Laura not give Claire any advice before Claire's call with James?
4. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
5. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
6. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
7. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
8. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
9. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
10. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)