|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the person in #110 not give Claire any advice?
2. What does Claire decide regarding her marriage?
3. What is Adam's relationship with his former girlfriend?
4. What does Claire's mother say is the balm that will save Claire and James' marriage?
5. What time does Claire return to her parents house after being with Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
2. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
3. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
4. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
5. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
6. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
7. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
8. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
9. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
10. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)