|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason would Claire consider reconciliation with James?
2. How does James try to intimidate Claire into staying?
3. Who calls the house looking for Claire?
4. What does James ask Claire when he calls?
5. What is James' tone of voice when Claire calls to tell him she will return to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
2. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
3. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
4. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
5. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
8. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
9. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
10. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)