|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news do Claire's parents have for her when she returns home?
2. What does James tell Claire about their relationship?
3. Who tells Adam that Claire is going back to James?
4. What does James say he will do to get Claire back?
5. How does Adam feel when he learns that Claire is going back to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
2. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
3. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
4. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
5. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
6. What will guide Claire's ultimate choice in a man?
7. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
8. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
9. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
10. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters that either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)