|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire ask for advice prior to her meeting with James?
2. What does Helen wish regarding Claire and Adam's relationship?
3. Where do Claire and James agree to meet?
4. How does James react when Kate won't stop crying as he holds her?
5. How does Claire feel about going back to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
2. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
3. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
4. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
5. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
6. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
7. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
8. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
9. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
10. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 3
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)