|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James want to know when he calls Claire from London?
2. Who is Adam's former girlfriend?
3. For what reason would Claire consider reconciliation with James?
4. What does Claire's mother tell the person in #147?
5. Why does Claire tell James she is not coming back to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
2. What does Claire learn about James from her friend, Judy?
3. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
4. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
5. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
6. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
7. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
8. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
9. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
10. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Keyes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 3
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)