|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the lover of the person in #110?
2. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
3. Why does Claire cry after James leaves?
4. What does Anna give to Claire before her meeting with James?
5. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
2. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
3. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
4. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
5. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
6. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
7. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
8. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
9. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
10. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)