|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adam's girlfriend letting him have their daughter for a year?
2. What arrives in the mail at Claire's parents' home?
3. What is James' tone of voice when Claire calls to tell him she will return to him?
4. What does Helen do when she seed Claire and Adam about to kiss?
5. What is Adam's relationship with his former girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
2. What will guide Claire's ultimate choice in a man?
3. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
4. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
5. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
6. What news does James reveal to Claire at the restaurant?
7. Why can Laura not give Claire any advice before Claire's call with James?
8. What does James declare to Claire when he returns to her parents' home?
9. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
10. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)