|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Claire say she wanted to see James?
2. What news does Helen tell Claire that jolts Claire?
3. Who is James' business partner?
4. What does James want to know when he calls Claire from London?
5. Why does Claire cry after James leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
2. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
5. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
8. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
9. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
10. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Claire. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Claire?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)