|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good habit intensifies during this bad period for Claire?
2. How does Adam behave with Claire?
3. What does Claire's mother think that Helen needs in her life now?
4. When does Claire's mother think Adam would be available?
5. Whose clothes and makeup does Claire use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
2. What is The Great Terror?
3. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
4. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
5. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
6. What does Adam's invitation to his flat foreshadow for Claire?
7. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
8. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
9. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
10. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)