|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
2. Claire sends Helen out to buy _______________.
3. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
4. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
5. What date is Claire talking about as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
8. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
9. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
10. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
Essay Topic 1
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)