|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claire decide that she will move?
2. Who interrupts Claire and Adam as they are talking?
3. What is Anna's job?
4. What is Claire's husband's name?
5. Who takes care of the errands to get things for Claire's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire meet Adam?
2. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
3. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
4. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
5. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
6. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
7. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
8. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
9. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
10. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Claire's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)