|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dish does Claire prepare for the family dinner?
2. What is Claire's husband's name?
3. What do Claire and Adam eat with their coffee?
4. Why is Claire going into town the next day?
5. In addition to Claire, who else is attracted to Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
2. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
3. What is The Great Terror?
4. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
5. How does Claire meet Adam?
6. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
7. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
8. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
9. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
10. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Claire. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Claire?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)