|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Claire's parents always hide in the house?
2. How does Claire feel about James at this point?
3. Who is Denise?
4. Who is the young man that Helen brings home for dinner?
5. Who is Judy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
2. What makes Claire cry after her meeting with James?
3. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
4. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
5. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
6. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
7. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
8. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
9. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
10. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)