|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city is Helen traveling for her college trip?
2. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
3. What does Claire's husband tell her on the day she gives birth to their daughter?
4. What name does Claire give her newborn daughter?
5. Where does Claire agree to meet Adam one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
2. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
3. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
4. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
5. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
6. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
7. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
8. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
9. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
10. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Claire's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)