|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Claire get the urge to call James?
2. Who does Claire avoid talking to?
3. In addition to Claire, who else is attracted to Adam?
4. What does Claire realize has come out of her marriage?
5. What is the profession of the person in #64?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
2. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
3. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
4. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
5. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
6. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
7. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
8. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
9. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
10. What is The Great Terror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)