|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Claire give her newborn daughter?
2. What gesture does Claire extend as a sign that she wants to apologize to her family?
3. Where does Claire agree to meet Adam one day?
4. Who is Margaret?
5. What is the purpose of Claire's trip into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
2. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
3. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
4. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
5. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
6. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
7. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
8. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
9. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
10. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Adam. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Adam?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)