|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the person in #64?
2. Who is the young man that Helen brings home for dinner?
3. Who is Margaret?
4. Why is Claire going into town the next day?
5. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Great Terror?
2. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
3. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
4. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
5. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
6. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
7. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
8. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
9. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
10. How does Claire meet Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)