|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has Adam come home to help Helen?
2. Where does Claire think James really is when he does not take her call?
3. What does Adam say to Claire that unnerves her?
4. Why is Claire going into town the next day?
5. What bad habit intensifies during this bad period for Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
2. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
3. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
4. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
5. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
6. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
7. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
8. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
9. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
10. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
Keyes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters that either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)