|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gesture does Claire extend as a sign that she wants to apologize to her family?
2. Where does Adam kiss Claire on the face?
3. What does Claire's mother feel about Claire's attraction to Adam?
4. What good habit intensifies during this bad period for Claire?
5. Whose clothes and makeup does Claire use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
3. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
4. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
5. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
6. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
7. What is The Great Terror?
8. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
9. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
10. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)