|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Claire not sell her share of their flat to James?
2. When does Claire's mother think Adam would be available?
3. What does Claire find amazing about the night she meets Adam?
4. With what has Adam come home to help Helen?
5. What do Claire, Helen and Anna eat while talking in Helen's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
2. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
3. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
4. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
5. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
6. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
7. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
8. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
9. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
10. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)