|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization does Claire arrive at in Chapter 12?
2. Where does Adam invite Claire?
3. What is the one thing Claire would not change about the life she had with James?
4. Who does Claire run into while out with the person in #62?
5. Why does Claire decide to leave the coffee shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
3. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
4. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
5. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
6. How does Claire meet Adam?
7. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
8. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
9. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
10. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)