|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claire linger in the hopes of running into Adam?
2. Who is Helen?
3. Who is Mr. Andrucetti?
4. What does Claire do when a romantic story comes on television?
5. Who is the young man that Helen brings home for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
2. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
3. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
4. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
5. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
6. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
7. How does Claire meet Adam?
8. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
9. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
10. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)