|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire's mother feel about Claire's attraction to Adam?
2. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
3. Who is Helen?
4. How does Claire purchase the items for dinner?
5. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
2. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
3. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
4. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
5. How does Claire meet Adam?
6. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
7. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
8. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
9. What is The Great Terror?
10. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)