Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
2. Claire sends Helen out to buy _______________.
3. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
4. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
5. What date is Claire talking about as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
8. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
9. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
10. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the 1990s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)