|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire think that Adam really doesn't want to talk to her when she runs into him?
2. What does Claire realize has come out of her marriage?
3. Where does Claire decide that she will move?
4. How does Claire feel about Adam?
5. What missing items is Helen looking for before going on a college trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
2. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
3. What does Adam's invitation to his flat foreshadow for Claire?
4. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
5. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
6. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
7. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
8. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
9. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
10. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)