|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claire feel knowing that most people probably knew about James' affair?
2. What does Claire learn are Adam's intentions with Helen?
3. What do Claire and Adam eat with their coffee?
4. What is the purpose of Claire's trip into town?
5. What does James say when Claire finally calls him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
2. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
3. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
4. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
5. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
6. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
7. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
8. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
9. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
10. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)