|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
2. Why does Claire go to Helen's room after supper?
3. On what night does Adam want to see Claire?
4. With what has Adam come home to help Helen?
5. How does Claire feel knowing that most people probably knew about James' affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
2. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
3. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
4. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
5. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
6. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
7. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
8. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
9. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
10. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)