|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prevalent theme in the first section of the novel?
2. Whose clothes and makeup does Claire use?
3. To what city is Helen traveling for her college trip?
4. What is the one thing Claire would not change about the life she had with James?
5. Where does Adam kiss Claire on the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
2. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
3. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
4. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
5. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
6. What is The Great Terror?
7. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
8. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
9. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
10. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in WATERMELON. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)