|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Claire live?
2. What does Claire realize has come out of her marriage?
3. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
4. Where does Adam invite Claire?
5. How old is Denise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
2. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
3. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
4. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
5. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
6. What is The Great Terror?
7. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
8. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
9. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
10. What does Claire say to Adam at the gym that puts a strain on the outing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Claire's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)