|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
2. Claire sends Helen out to buy _______________.
3. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
4. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
5. What date is Claire talking about as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
8. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
9. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
10. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
Essay Topic 1
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)