|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire find amazing about the night she meets Adam?
2. How old is Adam?
3. Who interrupts Claire and Adam as they are talking?
4. What good habit intensifies during this bad period for Claire?
5. Why is Claire's mother apprehensive about the meal Claire prepares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
2. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
3. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
4. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
5. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
6. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
7. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
8. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
9. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
10. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)