|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
2. When does Claire get the urge to call James?
3. How old is Adam?
4. What do Claire, Helen and Anna eat while talking in Helen's room?
5. Why does Claire go to Helen's room after supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
2. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
3. Why does Claire shop for clothes in town?
4. How does Claire meet Adam?
5. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
6. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
7. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
8. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
9. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
10. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WATERMELON is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)