|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire learn are Adam's intentions with Helen?
2. What does Claire's mother think that Claire needs in her life right now?
3. Why does Claire apologize to her family?
4. How does Claire purchase the items for dinner?
5. Where does Adam invite Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
2. What does Adam's invitation to his flat foreshadow for Claire?
3. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
4. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
5. How does Claire meet Adam?
6. What advice does Claire get from Laura about dating a younger man?
7. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
8. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
9. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
10. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of James. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about James?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)