|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire run into while out with the person in #62?
2. How does Claire feel about Adam at this point?
3. What is Anna's job?
4. What does Claire's husband tell her on the day she gives birth to their daughter?
5. What gesture does Claire extend as a sign that she wants to apologize to her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
2. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
3. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
4. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
5. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
6. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
7. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
8. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
9. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
10. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Keyes choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Claire's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Loss is an important theme in WATERMELON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)