Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
2. Claire sends Helen out to buy _______________.
3. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
4. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
5. What date is Claire talking about as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
2. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
6. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
7. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
8. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
9. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
10. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters that either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)