|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire frightened of at the Dublin airport?
2. Why does James not take Claire's call when she phones at his office?
3. Who is the young man that Helen brings home for dinner?
4. What does the family like best about Claire's meal?
5. What is the purpose of Claire's trip into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
2. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
3. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
4. What is The Great Terror?
5. What does Claire learn about the woman James is involved with and what does Claire decide to do?
6. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
7. What is the significance of the novel's title, WATERMELON?
8. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
9. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
10. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast James and Adam. Both men want influence over Claire but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Claire's life. Will Adam still be such a powerful presence in her life? What kind of child is Kate? What role does James play in Claire and Kate's lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Claire and James. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Claire learn about the reality of her life with James as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)