|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire avoid talking to?
2. Where does Claire agree to meet Adam one day?
3. How does Adam behave with Claire?
4. What good habit intensifies during this bad period for Claire?
5. How old is Claire Webster as the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
2. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
3. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
4. How does Claire meet Adam?
5. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
6. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
7. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
8. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
9. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
10. How does Claire shock her mother in Chapter 23?
Essay Topic 1
Does Keyes end the story on a note of hope for Claire or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with her flawed relationship with James? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Claire and Laura enter into relationships with men who are younger than they are. What was the initial attraction for both couples? What are some of the benefits they experience in their relationships? What are some of the drawbacks? Why are these types of relationships more acceptable today than they were 20 or 30 years ago? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)