|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
(a) Her car broke down.
(b) She was having sex with Adam.
(c) She got lost coming back from Belfast.
(d) She and Laura were at a pub.
2. How does James try to intimidate Claire into staying?
(a) He tells her no one else can love her like he can.
(b) He tells her no one will want a single woman with a child.
(c) He says she is a watermelon.
(d) He says she will not make it without him.
3. Why do Claire and Adam go to his bedroom?
(a) To watch TV.
(b) To study.
(c) To listen to music.
(d) To make love.
4. What does Claire realize about herself if she were to live with James again?
(a) She must have her own checking account.
(b) She must be more sexually assertive.
(c) She cannot be so carefree.
(d) She needs to have a job outside the home.
5. Why does James call Claire later that day?
(a) To tell her the divorce is finalized.
(b) To ask her to meet him for supper.
(c) To ask for custody of Kate.
(d) To ask for a reconciliation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adam feel when he learns that Claire is going back to James?
2. How does Claire feel about her new life?
3. What news do Claire's parents have for her when she returns home?
4. How does Adam react when Claire tells him she is going back to James?
5. Who tells Adam that Claire is going back to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire want to talk to Adam before she returns to London?
2. Why can Laura not give Claire any advice before Claire's call with James?
3. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
4. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
5. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
6. What do Claire's mother and sister do to help bolster her confidence prior to her call with James?
7. What is Claire's overall demeanor when James arrives at her parents' home?
8. What does James reveal to Claire about why he really left her?
9. Describe the scenario when Claire confronts James and ends their marriage.
10. How does James try to make Claire jealous?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)