|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who prepares the meal that Adam and Claire eat?
(a) Claire's mother.
(d) A personal chef.
2. Which one of Helen's friends was also interested in Adam?
3. What does Claire learn from her meeting with James in London?
(a) He has a new job.
(b) He never really loved Claire.
(c) He will never take responsibility for his affair.
(d) He is still seeing Denise.
4. What arrives in the mail at Claire's parents' home?
(a) An inheritance check for Claire.
(b) The deed to Claire and James' flat.
(c) Divorce papers for Claire and James.
(d) Christening papers for Kate.
5. What does James say he will do to get Claire back?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Lose weight.
(c) Buy her a diamond ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire tell James to go back to his hotel?
2. What news does James deliver to Claire via a phone call?
3. What does James tell Claire about their relationship?
4. What does James want to know when he calls Claire from London?
5. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
2. How does Claire's fluctuating self esteem have her second-guessing herself as a person?
3. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
4. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
5. What does Adam share about his ex-girlfriend and daughter?
6. How does Claire bewilder James in their meeting at her parents' home?
7. What does Claire think about as she anticipates James' upcoming telephone call?
8. What does Claire learn about James' true feelings for her from James' business partner, George?
9. How does James undermine Claire's decision to return to him?
10. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)