|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Claire say she wanted to see James?
(a) She wants money.
(b) She wants him to sign the divorce papers.
(c) She still loves him.
(d) She owes it to Kate.
2. What arrives in the mail at Claire's parents' home?
(a) An inheritance check for Claire.
(b) The deed to Claire and James' flat.
(c) Christening papers for Kate.
(d) Divorce papers for Claire and James.
3. How does Claire react to James' declaration regarding their relationship?
(a) She is ecstatic.
(b) She is sullen.
(c) She thinks it is too late for their marriage.
(d) She is torn about how she feels.
4. Why is the person in #110 upset?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) Her young lover has dumped her.
(c) Her apartment was robbed.
(d) Her mother has died.
5. What does Claire's mother tell the person in #147?
(a) Claire is asleep.
(b) Claire is out shopping.
(c) Claire is out with her husband.
(d) Claire is in bed with a migraine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James call Claire later that day?
2. How does Claire feel about going back to James?
3. What time has James promised to call Claire?
4. Who does James essentially blame for his affair with Denise?
5. How does Claire feel about James' tone regarding her return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Claire and Adam's relationship as the novel ends?
2. Why is Adam unhappy about Claire's decision to return to James?
3. What will guide Claire's ultimate choice in a man?
4. Why does Claire not feel happy about going back to James?
5. How does Claire consider Kate's needs as she tries to realign her life?
6. What is the culmination of the evening Claire and Adam spend together at his place?
7. How does Claire respond to James' phone calls when she returns to her parents' home?
8. Where is Claire preparing to go in Chapter 21?
9. Why does Helen break out in laughter when she sees Claire and Adam together?
10. What living arrangements and custody agreement do Claire and James agree to?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)