|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claire frightened of at the Dublin airport?
(a) Rude ticket agents.
(b) Terrorist attacks.
(c) That her bags would be stolen.
(d) Not making her connecting flight.
2. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
(a) Wish them well.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Slash their tires.
(d) Trash their apartment.
3. Who takes care of the errands to get things for Claire's baby?
(b) Claire's mother.
4. What realization does Claire arrive at in Chapter 12?
(a) She never loved James.
(b) She wants to go back to school.
(c) She needs to act more responsibly.
(d) She will always love James.
5. How old is Adam?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Claire's trip into town?
2. Which one of Claire's sisters is the free-spirited one?
3. What is the profession of the person in #64?
4. What do Claire and Adam eat with their coffee?
5. Where does Claire agree to meet Adam one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
2. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
3. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is The Great Terror?
6. Why does Claire feel so guilty after spending the evening with Laura and Adam?
7. What is the significance of the novel's title, WATERMELON?
8. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
9. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
10. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)