|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Claire?
2. Why does Claire go to Helen's room after supper?
(a) She wants to talk about their parents.
(b) She wants to listen to her stereo.
(c) She is hoping Helen will say something about Adam.
(d) She wants to borrow a sweater.
3. Who takes care of the errands to get things for Claire's baby?
(d) Claire's mother.
4. What does Claire ask the doctor about herself?
(a) If she can have some sleeping pills.
(b) When she can have sex again.
(c) If she has high cholesterol.
(d) Why she is having heart palpitations.
5. When does Claire's mother think Adam would be available?
(a) After he graduates.
(b) In about 10 years.
(c) When he gets a better job.
(d) After Helen tosses him aside.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claire pay for her purchases in town?
2. What is Anna's job?
3. Who is Denise?
4. What does Claire want to do to James and Denise?
5. With whom does Claire talk about her life until the wee hours of the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Claire meet her husband, James?
2. What irritates Claire when she and Adam meet for coffee?
3. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
4. Explain how Adam outrageously flirts with Claire.
5. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
6. Who is Laura and how does Claire know her?
7. What realities does Claire realize that she must face now?
8. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
9. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
10. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)