|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the person in #64?
2. Where does Claire think James really is when he does not take her call?
(a) At lunch.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The Caribbean.
(d) Playing tennis.
3. Why does James not take Claire's call when she phones at his office?
(a) He is out to lunch.
(b) He is away for a week.
(c) He is gone for the day.
(d) He is in a meeting.
4. What does Adam say to Claire that unnerves her?
(a) That it is no wonder that her husband dumped her.
(b) That her dress is too tight.
(c) Their child would have blue eyes.
(d) That she has a great body.
5. With what has Adam come home to help Helen?
(b) A family problem.
(c) Her laptop.
(d) An essay.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Denise?
2. What does James say when Claire finally calls him?
3. How does Claire feel about meeting Adam?
4. How old is Claire Webster as the novel begins?
5. After whom does Claire name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
2. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
3. How does Claire begin to come out of The Great Terror period in her life?
4. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
5. What is The Great Terror?
6. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
7. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
8. What is an important theme in the first section of the book?
9. How does the author show that Claire is conflicted about whether or not she should spend time with Adam?
10. What is the significance of the novel's title, WATERMELON?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)