|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Claire and Adam as they are talking?
(a) Three girls.
(b) The waitress.
(d) A cell call from James.
2. What does Claire find amazing about the night she meets Adam?
(a) She loves to flirt.
(b) She can feel like a girl again.
(c) She had been missing male attention.
(d) She doesn't think about James.
3. Why does Claire not call James on the day he is to return to the office?
(a) She wants to make a surprise visit instead.
(b) She is not in the mood for a confrontation.
(c) She lets her lawyer make all the calls.
(d) She forgets because she is preoccupied with Adam.
4. How old is Denise?
5. How does Claire pay for her purchases in town?
(b) Gift cards.
(c) James' credit card.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Claire's mother apprehensive about the meal Claire prepares?
2. What does Claire's mother think that Claire needs in her life right now?
3. Who does Claire avoid talking to?
4. What does the family like best about Claire's meal?
5. Who is Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire's mother think about Claire's attraction to Adam?
2. How does Claire feel about her newborn daughter?
3. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
4. Why does Claire turn to alcohol during this time in her life?
5. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
6. What does Adam's invitation to his flat foreshadow for Claire?
7. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
8. Describe Claire's behavior as she settles into her parents' home.
9. How does the author show Claire's fragile state of mind regarding her marriage?
10. Why is Claire hesitant to call James?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)