|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young man that Helen brings home for dinner?
2. What does Claire ask the doctor about herself?
(a) If she has high cholesterol.
(b) When she can have sex again.
(c) Why she is having heart palpitations.
(d) If she can have some sleeping pills.
3. Why does Claire go to Helen's room after supper?
(a) She wants to talk about their parents.
(b) She wants to listen to her stereo.
(c) She is hoping Helen will say something about Adam.
(d) She wants to borrow a sweater.
4. Who does Claire avoid talking to?
5. How does Claire feel about Adam at this point?
(a) She likes him.
(b) She doesn't feel anything for him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is crazy about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Adam?
2. What gesture does Claire extend as a sign that she wants to apologize to her family?
3. What is the one thing Claire would not change about the life she had with James?
4. Why does Claire not call James on the day he is to return to the office?
5. Why will Claire not sell her share of their flat to James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire find out about Adam's intentions toward Helen?
2. How does Claire show her feelings of loss as symbolized by her missing luggage at the airport?
3. How does Claire meet Adam?
4. Describe Claire's feelings of humiliation and jealousy.
5. Why does Claire keep putting off calling James?
6. What date is important to the protagonist of the story and why is it important?
7. What is especially gratifying to Claire about the dinner she shops for and prepares for her family?
8. How does the author show that Adam is on Claire's mind all the time now?
9. How does Claire arrange it so that she runs into Adam?
10. What news does James deliver to Claire in her hospital room?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)