|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Claire's mother give her regarding her marriage?
(a) Give yourself some time.
(b) Forgive but never forget.
(c) Forgiveness is paramount.
(d) James will always cheat.
2. Under what conditions does James promise not to be unfaithful again?
(a) If Claire won't get pregnant again.
(b) If Claire gets a better job.
(c) If Claire has more sex with him.
(d) If Claire changes her behavior.
3. Who tells Adam that Claire is going back to James?
(c) Claire's mother.
4. How does James react when Kate won't stop crying as he holds her?
(a) He holds her closer.
(b) He puts her in her bed.
(c) He recoils uncomfortably.
(d) He sings in her ear.
5. What does Helen do when she seed Claire and Adam about to kiss?
(a) She slaps Adam.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She shrieks.
(d) She laughs.
6. What does Claire do that upsets James when he comes over to her parents' home?
(a) Talks about the legalities of splitting up.
(b) Chain smokes.
(c) Drinks too much.
(d) Falls asleep while he's talking.
7. How does Claire fall asleep that night?
(a) Crying herself to sleep.
(b) She doesn't sleep at all.
(c) By getting drunk.
(d) Holding Kate.
8. Where will Claire and Kate live after the divorce?
9. Who bet Helen that Helen would not get involved with Adam?
(a) Rita Shannon.
(b) Marie Sanderson.
(c) Melissa Saint.
(d) Bridget Malloy.
10. According to James, why did he leave Claire in the first place?
(a) Her cooking.
(b) Her overspending.
(c) Her selfishness.
(d) Her infidelity.
11. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) Preparing for her date with Adam.
(b) Bathing Kate.
(c) Doing laundry.
(d) Watching television.
12. What does Claire wonder about her relationship with James if she were to go back to him?
(a) If they would have more children.
(b) If he would cheat again.
(c) If she could lean on him.
(d) If he would be tender with her.
13. What is Claire's tone with James when he phones?
14. What news does Helen tell Claire that jolts Claire?
(a) Adam has proposed to Helen.
(b) Adam has been killed in a car accident.
(c) Adam has reunited with an old girlfriend.
(d) Adam is in love with Claire.
15. What news do Claire's parents have for her when she returns home?
(a) Kate is sick.
(b) James' lawyer called.
(c) James is in Dublin.
(d) Claire's grandmother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire tell James to go back to his hotel?
2. What does James' business partner tell Claire about James' emotional state while Claire was gone?
3. What is Claire's mood when she realizes her marriage to James is over?
4. What is Adam's relationship with his former girlfriend?
5. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)