|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James' business partner, what was it about Claire that threatened James?
(a) Her connections.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her vitality.
2. What news does Helen tell Claire that jolts Claire?
(a) Adam has proposed to Helen.
(b) Adam has been killed in a car accident.
(c) Adam is in love with Claire.
(d) Adam has reunited with an old girlfriend.
3. How does Claire fall asleep that night?
(a) Holding Kate.
(b) She doesn't sleep at all.
(c) Crying herself to sleep.
(d) By getting drunk.
4. What is the name of Adam's daughter?
5. Where do Claire and James agree to meet?
(a) Claire's parents' house.
(b) A cafe.
(c) The park.
(d) A pub.
6. What does James say that Claire always demanded in their marriage?
(a) Expensive furnishings.
(b) Her own checking account.
(c) New clothes.
(d) Constant attention.
7. What does James ask Claire when he calls?
(a) If he can see her.
(b) If she will talk to Denise.
(c) If he can see the baby.
(d) If she'll sign the divorce papers.
8. What is James' tone of voice when Claire calls to tell him she will return to him?
9. What is James' state of mind when he leaves Claire's parents' house?
10. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) Doing laundry.
(b) Watching television.
(c) Preparing for her date with Adam.
(d) Bathing Kate.
11. What does Claire find herself doing after James tells her some of her faults?
(a) Second guesses herself.
(b) Agrees to change.
(c) Tells him to leave her alone.
(d) Says she can't change.
12. What time does Claire return to her parents house after being with Adam?
(a) 11 p.m.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) 5 a.m.
13. Why does Claire dress up Kate this morning?
(a) So James will love her.
(b) To go out to dinner.
(c) To have her picture taken.
(d) To get her portrait painted.
14. Who does Claire ask to babysit Kate?
(c) Her mother.
15. What does Anna give to Claire before her meeting with James?
(a) A crystal.
(b) A rabbit's foot.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A medallion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
2. What does Helen wish regarding Claire and Adam's relationship?
3. Why do Claire's mother and sisters fuss over her?
4. Under what conditions does James promise not to be unfaithful again?
5. What does Claire do that upsets James when he comes over to her parents' home?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)