|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Claire give her mother for being out so late?
(a) Her car broke down.
(b) She got lost coming back from Belfast.
(c) She and Laura were at a pub.
(d) She was having sex with Adam.
2. What news do Claire's parents have for her when she returns home?
(a) Kate is sick.
(b) Claire's grandmother died.
(c) James is in Dublin.
(d) James' lawyer called.
3. How does James try to intimidate Claire into staying?
(a) He tells her no one else can love her like he can.
(b) He says she will not make it without him.
(c) He tells her no one will want a single woman with a child.
(d) He says she is a watermelon.
4. How does Claire feel about her new life?
(a) She embraces it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She resents it.
(d) She is terrified of it.
5. What does James' business partner tell Claire about James' emotional state while Claire was gone?
(a) He was destroyed.
(b) He was content.
(c) He was ecstatic.
(d) He was carefree.
6. Where will Adam and his daughter be living?
7. What does James say he will do to get Claire back?
(a) Buy her a diamond ring.
(c) Lose weight.
(d) Cut his hair.
8. Why does Claire tell James she is not coming back to him?
(a) She is in love with someone else.
(b) She likes the single life.
(c) She doesn't think he would be a good father.
(d) She doesn't love him anymore.
9. What does Claire do that upsets James when he comes over to her parents' home?
(a) Talks about the legalities of splitting up.
(b) Drinks too much.
(c) Chain smokes.
(d) Falls asleep while he's talking.
10. How does Claire fall asleep that night?
(a) Crying herself to sleep.
(b) She doesn't sleep at all.
(c) Holding Kate.
(d) By getting drunk.
11. Why does Claire tell James to go back to his hotel?
(a) To pick up his things and come back.
(b) To leave her alone.
(c) To have documents faxed.
(d) To get her clothes.
12. What does Helen wish regarding Claire and Adam's relationship?
(a) That the relationship won't last.
(b) That they get married right away.
(c) That they be happy together.
(d) That they get what they deserve.
13. What does James ask Claire when he calls?
(a) If he can see the baby.
(b) If he can see her.
(c) If she will talk to Denise.
(d) If she'll sign the divorce papers.
14. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) Doing laundry.
(b) Bathing Kate.
(c) Preparing for her date with Adam.
(d) Watching television.
15. What does Claire wish for regarding James?
(a) That he would divorce her quickly.
(b) That he would want her and Kate back.
(c) That he would give her a credit card.
(d) That he would drop dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire cry after James leaves?
2. According to James, why did he leave Claire in the first place?
3. What news does James give Claire?
4. What does Claire think would be the best for Kate?
5. What does Claire feel that James is now?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)