|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does James not take Claire's call when she phones at his office?
(a) He is away for a week.
(b) He is in a meeting.
(c) He is out to lunch.
(d) He is gone for the day.
2. Who is Denise?
(a) Claire's college roommate.
(b) Claire's best friend.
(c) James' lover.
(d) James' ex-wife.
3. What is one of the issues that Claire needs to talk to James about?
(a) Couples counseling.
(b) Night classes.
(c) A new car.
(d) Child custody.
4. What do Claire's parents always hide in the house?
5. Why does Claire not call James on the day he is to return to the office?
(a) She lets her lawyer make all the calls.
(b) She is not in the mood for a confrontation.
(c) She forgets because she is preoccupied with Adam.
(d) She wants to make a surprise visit instead.
6. When does Claire get the urge to call James?
(a) During breakfast.
(b) Cocktail hour.
(c) At night.
(d) After lunch.
7. What does Claire ask the doctor about herself?
(a) When she can have sex again.
(b) Why she is having heart palpitations.
(c) If she can have some sleeping pills.
(d) If she has high cholesterol.
8. What is Claire's state of mind as she settles in at her parents' home?
9. How does Claire feel knowing that most people probably knew about James' affair?
10. What is Claire frightened of at the Dublin airport?
(a) Rude ticket agents.
(b) Terrorist attacks.
(c) Not making her connecting flight.
(d) That her bags would be stolen.
11. Who is Margaret?
(a) Claire's hair stylist.
(b) Claire's mother.
(c) Claire's older sister.
(d) Claire's college roommate.
12. What is the prevalent theme in the first section of the novel?
13. What is Claire's husband's name?
14. What does Claire say to Mr. Andrucetti when she sees him?
(a) She wants a divorce.
(b) She wants a beef tenderloin.
(c) The mail is later every day.
15. What does Claire's husband tell her on the day she gives birth to their daughter?
(a) He is leaving her for an older woman.
(b) He thinks their daughter is beautiful.
(c) He loves her with all his heart.
(d) He wants another child as soon as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire's mother think that Helen needs in her life now?
2. What is the profession of the person in #64?
3. What does Claire do when a romantic story comes on television?
4. Claire sends Helen out to buy _______________.
5. Who does Claire run into while out with the person in #62?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)