|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Red Leaf?
2. Where is the war party Waterlily is to travel with headed?
3. What does Waterlily spend time doing when she returns to her own camp circle in Chapter 17?
4. What does the young man in the Sun Dance do when Waterlily offers him something while he is dancing in Chapter 11?
5. What is the significance of the two horses Black Eagle has for the ghostkeeping in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the camp circle of Waterlily's new husband and new family in Chapter 14?
2. Why is it important that Rainbow is selected for the Kit Fox Society, and how does Palani react when he learns of this?
3. What does Waterlily learn about the camp circle when Sacred Horse's cousin finds her, Echo, and Little Bear in Chapter 16?
4. How do Waterlily and her cousin help with the second part of the Sun Dance ceremony, and why are they allowed this honor?
5. Why is Waterlily asked to wait on Lowanla, and how does she feel about this?
6. What happens to the two American horses Black Eagle had been saving for Gloku's ghostkeeping, and what opportunity arises to rectify the issue?
7. Why does Lowanla ask if Waterlily was the girl who offered him water at the Sun Dance, and how does Waterlily respond?
8. What happens that causes Blue Bird to talk to Waterlily about the proper ways to be courted by a young man, and why does Blue bird feel this is so important?
9. Describe the interactions between Waterlily and Lowanla in Chapter 17, leading up to their engagement.
10. When Waterlily arrives at her camp circle, who does not greet her, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is marriage portrayed in this novel? Compare and contrast the marriages described in "Waterlily".
Essay Topic 2
Describe Waterlily's relationship with the members of her family. What do her actions suggest in regards to her respect for her elders and for Dakota traditions?
Essay Topic 3
How would the story be different if Star Elk had not thrown Blue Bird away?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)