|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blue Bird take her children out to do as Waterlily gets older?
2. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
3. What does Blue Bird realize about marrying Rainbow?
4. What does Star Elk spend his time doing instead of hunting for food?
5. What does Rainbow find in the bushes when he investigates in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does Blue Bird's new family help her prepare for the baby she is expecting? How does Blue Bird feel about this, and why?
2. Why does Rainbow decide to make Waterlily a hunka, what does this mean, and how does Waterlily feel about it?
3. What does Blue Bird do when her child becomes sick in Chapter 3?
4. Who is Little Chief, and how does Blue Bird treat him?
5. Describe Waterlily's hunka celebrations and the preparations that are made for it.
6. Describe Blue Bird's marriage to Star Elk.
7. How does the camp circle feel about Star Elk's actions against Blue Bird, and what does Star Elk do as a result?
8. How does Little Chief join the war party, and how does he help?
9. What does Blue Bird learn soon after her child gets better in Chapter 3?
10. What happens when Gloku takes Waterlily and Little Chief to the pile of prayers at Box Butte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Waterlily change throughout the novel? Detail the changes she makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
"Waterlily" was not published until it had been condensed to half of its original size. How might this have affected the novel's plot? Why do you think it was shortened so much?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Star Elk and Rainbow. How are their relationships with Blue Bird similar and different?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)