|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Rainbow's sisters preparing for Blue Bird's upcoming new baby at the start of Chapter 7?
2. Why was Blue Bird's grandmother not pleased with Blue Bird's intention to marry Star Elk?
3. What does Blue Bird do immediately after giving birth?
4. What two characteristics define the Dakota tribe?
5. Why does Star Elk treat Blue Bird badly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Waterlily's hunka celebrations and the preparations that are made for it.
2. Describe Blue Bird's marriage to Star Elk.
3. Who is Little Chief, and how does Blue Bird treat him?
4. What does Blue Bird do when her child becomes sick in Chapter 3?
5. When Blue Bird's mother-in-law hears of the child's birth, what does she do, and what does she think in regards to her son?
6. In Chapter 1, what does Blue Bird name her child, and why?
7. How does Waterlily feel when Little Chief kills his first buffalo, and why is it important?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Gloku dream, and how does her dream come true?
9. What story does Woyaka tell Black Eagle's family?
10. What does Little Chief do as he grows older in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "Waterlily" as historical and cultural fiction. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical historical and/or cultural novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as historical and cultural fiction? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as historical and/or cultural fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Star Elk and Rainbow. How are their relationships with Blue Bird similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
How does the third person point-of-view enhance or inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)