|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dakotas take people into their family, what do they become?
2. What does Blue Bird's mother-in-law think Blue Bird's cousin can help her do?
3. What does the word "Hao" mean in the Dakota language?
4. How does Blue Bird notice Rainbow is different from Star Elk?
5. What state does Gloku find Waterlily in when she returns to her tipi in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Woyaka tell Black Eagle's family?
2. How does the camp circle feel about Star Elk's actions against Blue Bird, and what does Star Elk do as a result?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Blue Bird name her child, and why?
4. What does Blue Bird do when her child becomes sick in Chapter 3?
5. What does Little Chief do as he grows older in Chapter 7?
6. What happens to Waterlily when she is left to care for her blind grandfather at the age of six?
7. In Chapter 7, how does Blue Bird's new family help her prepare for the baby she is expecting? How does Blue Bird feel about this, and why?
8. How did Blue Bird's grandmother feel when she learned that Blue Bird had agreed to marry Star Elk?
9. How does Gloku and the rest of the camp circle feel about Rainbow's marriage to Blue Bird?
10. Describe Blue Bird's marriage to Star Elk.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "Waterlily"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Star Elk had not thrown Blue Bird away?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Waterlily's relationship with the members of her family. What do her actions suggest in regards to her respect for her elders and for Dakota traditions?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)