|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Star Elk question about Blue Bird twice publicly?
2. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
3. Now that Little Chief is getting older, who is he spending most of his time with?
4. How does Rainbow see Waterlily after he marries Blue Bird?
5. What does Rainbow give away in Waterlily's name to celebrate during the ceremony in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Blue Bird find it hard to adjust to returning to her own camp circle?
2. How does Star Elk act when Blue Bird decides to stay with her cousin for a few days after her child is born?
3. What happens to Waterlily when she is left to care for her blind grandfather at the age of six?
4. How does Waterlily feel when Little Chief kills his first buffalo, and why is it important?
5. How is Little Chief honored when a dead Indian is found in the bushes during a hunting expedition?
6. How does Gloku and the rest of the camp circle feel about Rainbow's marriage to Blue Bird?
7. Describe Blue Bird's marriage to Star Elk.
8. How does Little Chief join the war party, and how does he help?
9. Why does Gloku visit Blue Bird, and what does Blue Bird learn about Gloku's family in Chapter 4?
10. According to Chapter 2, how did Blue Bird come to live in this camp circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in "Waterlily"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
Essay Topic 2
How is marriage portrayed in this novel? Compare and contrast the marriages described in "Waterlily".
Essay Topic 3
What does the relationship between the Native Americans and their surroundings suggest?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)