|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Waterlily goes after Little Bear who is collecting water in Chapter 16?
(a) She loses her way.
(b) She has a vision of Gloku.
(c) She is bitten by a snake.
(d) The group is attacked.
2. What does Waterlily notice while watching the singers in the celebration in Chapter 10?
(a) Her own rapid heartbeat.
(b) A boy with exceptional singing talent for his age.
(c) Two of the singers are not actually signing.
(d) The tumultuous cloud formations in the sky.
3. What does Sacred Horse begin to see when they start spending time with Red Leaf's family?
(a) He does not love Waterlily.
(b) A way to profit from his marriage.
(c) That Waterlily is in love with Red Leaf.
(d) The real Waterlily.
4. What kills Waterlily at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) Little Chief.
5. Who does Sacred Horse's cousin say will marry Waterlily in Chapter 17?
(a) Good Hunter.
(c) Black Eagle.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gloku teach Waterlily to be?
2. Why is Waterlily not interested in remarrying in Chapter 17?
3. What do the women of the camp sneak and offer the men during the dance in Chapter 11?
4. What are Black Eagle and his family trying to find before the ghostkeeping in Chapter 13?
5. What does the Dakota term Kola refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Waterlily learn about the camp circle when Sacred Horse's cousin finds her, Echo, and Little Bear in Chapter 16?
2. Describe the camp circle of Waterlily's new husband and new family in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Leaping Fawn have a Virgin's Fire, and what happens during the ceremony?
4. Why is Waterlily asked to wait on Lowanla, and how does she feel about this?
5. In Chapter 14, what does Waterlily learn about her grandfather, and how does she feel about this news?
6. How does Waterlily feel after watching Lowanla make his sacrifice and continue to dance, and what happens when she tries to bring him water?
7. In Chapter 13, how does Waterlily feel about her marriage proposal, what does she decide, and why?
8. Why does Lowanla ask if Waterlily was the girl who offered him water at the Sun Dance, and how does Waterlily respond?
9. Why do women sneak water to their husbands and boyfriends during the Sun Dance, and how does Waterlily feel about this?
10. Who is Red Leaf, and why is Waterlily happy to meet his parents in Chapter 15?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)