|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
(a) Their rise to government positions.
(b) The effect of the telephone on them.
(c) Their lives and customs.
(d) The war they waged against Dakota men.
2. Why was Blue Bird's grandmother not pleased with Blue Bird's intention to marry Star Elk?
(a) He was already married to another woman.
(b) She thought he was very ugly.
(c) She did not believe in love.
(d) He was known to be lazy and a poor hunter.
3. Who does Little Chief begin training with?
(b) Black Eagle.
(c) Bear Heart.
(d) The Chief.
4. What job is given to Little Chief in Chapter 9?
(a) Cleaning the animals that are killed.
(b) Rowing the canoe.
(c) Watering the horses.
(d) Carrying the bags.
5. What do Dakotas believe they are in relation to all things?
(a) They are here to conquer all things.
(b) They are part of all things.
(c) They are afraid of them.
(d) They are inconsequential.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Blue Bird name her daughter Waterlily?
2. What are Dakota women taught is important from early childhood?
3. How does Rainbow see Waterlily after he marries Blue Bird?
4. What did Star Elk question about Blue Bird twice publicly?
5. What is the name of Blue Bird's third child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Little Chief, and how does Blue Bird treat him?
2. Describe Waterlily's hunka celebrations and the preparations that are made for it.
3. How does Waterlily feel when Little Chief kills his first buffalo, and why is it important?
4. How does Little Chief join the war party, and how does he help?
5. Describe Blue Bird's marriage to Star Elk.
6. What happens to Waterlily when she is left to care for her blind grandfather at the age of six?
7. Why does Rainbow decide to make Waterlily a hunka, what does this mean, and how does Waterlily feel about it?
8. Why does Blue Bird find it hard to adjust to returning to her own camp circle?
9. Due to his anger at Blue Bird and the way the rest of the camp circle is treating him, what does Star Elk do?
10. What happens when Gloku takes Waterlily and Little Chief to the pile of prayers at Box Butte?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)