|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dakotas take people into their family, what do they become?
(a) Outcasts from the rest of the Dakota families.
(b) The family's slave.
(c) Marked targets for other tribes.
(d) Part of that family for life.
2. What will Waterlily do at any festival in the future to let people know how her father felt about her?
(a) Paint her face red.
(b) Sing the song he wrote her.
(c) Give a speech.
(d) Be in charge of the festivities.
3. What would a Dakota couple do in place of a traditional wedding ceremony?
(a) They would perform a wedding dance.
(b) The couple would go on a wedding trip, then return and set up a tipi together.
(c) The couple would cut each other's hair off.
(d) The couple would hunt a buffalo together.
4. What doesn't seem to help Waterlily's illness at all in Chapter 3?
(a) Any of the medicines the women of the tribe suggest her mother tried.
(b) Several people singing to her.
(c) Small sips of cool water given to her by her mother.
(d) The medicines given to her mother by a shaman.
5. What is Rainbow going to do to Waterlily because he is so glad she is alive?
(a) Teach her how to hunt buffalo.
(b) Make her a hunka, or beloved child.
(c) Write a song for her.
(d) Give her every desire she has.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Star Elk spend his time doing instead of hunting for food?
2. What does Blue Bird's grandmother spend her days doing once they return to their family's camp circle?
3. What causes Blue Bird to worry Waterlily is going to die in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Star Elk leave the camp permanently in Chapter 3?
5. What does Little Chief come to Blue Bird's tipi to do in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Star Elk act when Blue Bird decides to stay with her cousin for a few days after her child is born?
2. Why does Blue Bird find it hard to adjust to returning to her own camp circle?
3. According to Chapter 2, how did Blue Bird come to live in this camp circle?
4. Due to his anger at Blue Bird and the way the rest of the camp circle is treating him, what does Star Elk do?
5. How does Little Chief join the war party, and how does he help?
6. What story does Woyaka tell Black Eagle's family?
7. When Blue Bird's mother-in-law hears of the child's birth, what does she do, and what does she think in regards to her son?
8. How is Little Chief honored when a dead Indian is found in the bushes during a hunting expedition?
9. In Chapter 1, what does Blue Bird name her child, and why?
10. Who is Little Chief, and how does Blue Bird treat him?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)