|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dakotas believe they are in relation to all things?
(a) They are part of all things.
(b) They are inconsequential.
(c) They are afraid of them.
(d) They are here to conquer all things.
2. What doesn't seem to help Waterlily's illness at all in Chapter 3?
(a) Small sips of cool water given to her by her mother.
(b) Any of the medicines the women of the tribe suggest her mother tried.
(c) Several people singing to her.
(d) The medicines given to her mother by a shaman.
3. What does Rainbow find in the bushes when he investigates in Chapter 9?
(a) A rabid coyote.
(b) Waterlily and Little Chief.
(c) A bag of gold.
(d) A dead Indian.
4. What does Little Chief accomplish when Waterlily is twelve years old?
(a) He kills his first buffalo.
(b) He annoys her to death.
(c) He writes his own song.
(d) He swims across the river.
5. What does Woyaka believe the buffalo are to the Dakota?
(a) The sign of the devil.
(b) A pest to be exterminated.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) Their lords and masters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most common traditions of the Dakota as seen in this novel?
2. What does Waterlily love to hear her brother talk about in Chapter 9?
3. Who comes to visit each of the families in the camp circle during the winter?
4. Why does the camp say they are making fun of Star Elk in Chapter 3?
5. How many brothers were on the hunting trip with Blue Bird when she was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gloku takes Waterlily and Little Chief to the pile of prayers at Box Butte?
2. Who is Little Chief, and how does Blue Bird treat him?
3. How is Little Chief honored when a dead Indian is found in the bushes during a hunting expedition?
4. Why does Rainbow decide to make Waterlily a hunka, what does this mean, and how does Waterlily feel about it?
5. Why does Blue Bird find it hard to adjust to returning to her own camp circle?
6. Why does Gloku visit Blue Bird, and what does Blue Bird learn about Gloku's family in Chapter 4?
7. Describe the place Rainbow takes Blue Bird for their honeymoon trip.
8. In Chapter 1, what does Blue Bird name her child, and why?
9. How does Star Elk act when Blue Bird decides to stay with her cousin for a few days after her child is born?
10. How does Waterlily feel when Little Chief kills his first buffalo, and why is it important?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)