|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is six-year-old Waterlily left to do while her grandmother goes out for the day?
(a) Care for her blind grandfather.
(b) Chop the firewood for the night.
(c) Clean the tipi.
(d) Hunt that night's dinner.
2. How many brothers were on the hunting trip with Blue Bird when she was a child?
(b) None; she is an only child.
3. Who is Little Chief's father?
(a) Black Eagle.
(b) His father is the Big Chief.
(c) His father is Rainbow.
(d) Gloku is unsure who his father is.
4. When Dakotas take people into their family, what do they become?
(a) Outcasts from the rest of the Dakota families.
(b) Marked targets for other tribes.
(c) Part of that family for life.
(d) The family's slave.
5. What does Woyaka believe the buffalo are to the Dakota?
(a) The sign of the devil.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) Their lords and masters.
(d) A pest to be exterminated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't seem to help Waterlily's illness at all in Chapter 3?
2. What does Little Chief come to Blue Bird's tipi to do in Chapter 4?
3. What does Blue Bird believe is the significance of the unseen voice she hears after praying for her daughter in Chapter 3?
4. What would a Dakota couple do in place of a traditional wedding ceremony?
5. What will Waterlily do at any festival in the future to let people know how her father felt about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Blue Bird's grandmother feel when she learned that Blue Bird had agreed to marry Star Elk?
2. According to Chapter 2, how did Blue Bird come to live in this camp circle?
3. How does Blue Bird's grandmother die, and what happens during the burial tradition?
4. What do Rainbow and the other men do in response to finding the dead Indian and why?
5. When Waterlily leaves Ohiya for a moment in Chapter 7, what happens and how is this rectified?
6. How does Waterlily feel when Little Chief kills his first buffalo, and why is it important?
7. When Blue Bird's mother-in-law hears of the child's birth, what does she do, and what does she think in regards to her son?
8. Why does Rainbow decide to make Waterlily a hunka, what does this mean, and how does Waterlily feel about it?
9. Describe the place Rainbow takes Blue Bird for their honeymoon trip.
10. Describe Waterlily's hunka celebrations and the preparations that are made for it.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)