|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dakotas take people into their family, what do they become?
(a) Part of that family for life.
(b) Marked targets for other tribes.
(c) Outcasts from the rest of the Dakota families.
(d) The family's slave.
2. Who does Little Chief begin training with?
(b) Black Eagle.
(c) Bear Heart.
(d) The Chief.
3. What was given to Blue Bird and her grandmother when they join the camp circle in Chapter 2?
(a) The rules of the camp circle.
(b) Everything they needed to live there, including a tipi.
(c) A bodyguard to assure their safety.
(d) Several diseases including small pox.
4. What is Little Chief given after one of his first training sessions?
(a) A slingshot.
(b) His first horse.
(c) A bow and arrow.
(d) A tipi of his own.
5. Why does Blue Bird name her daughter Waterlily?
(a) It was her grandmother's name.
(b) She was commanded to by the chief.
(c) She could not think of a better name.
(d) She was born near water-lilies and her mother thinks she is as beautiful as the water-lilies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Star Elk question about Blue Bird twice publicly?
2. What doesn't seem to help Waterlily's illness at all in Chapter 3?
3. In the Dakota tribe, who customarily helps parents raise their children?
4. What does Blue Bird's grandmother spend her days doing once they return to their family's camp circle?
5. What does Rainbow find in the bushes when he investigates in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rainbow and the other men do in response to finding the dead Indian and why?
2. According to Chapter 2, how did Blue Bird come to live in this camp circle?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Rainbow tell his parents, and how do they feel about this and why?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Gloku dream, and how does her dream come true?
5. How is Little Chief honored when a dead Indian is found in the bushes during a hunting expedition?
6. What does Blue Bird do when her child becomes sick in Chapter 3?
7. In Chapter 1, what does Blue Bird name her child, and why?
8. Describe the place Rainbow takes Blue Bird for their honeymoon trip.
9. How did Blue Bird's grandmother feel when she learned that Blue Bird had agreed to marry Star Elk?
10. In Chapter 7, how does Blue Bird's new family help her prepare for the baby she is expecting? How does Blue Bird feel about this, and why?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)