|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies during Gloku's ghostkeeping ceremony?
(a) Red Leaf.
(b) The whole tribe.
(c) No one.
2. What has happened to Little Chief while Waterlily has been away?
(a) He has fallen ill.
(b) He has been killed.
(c) He has gotten married.
(d) He has become Big Chief.
3. What did Gloku teach Waterlily to be?
(a) A respectable Dakota woman.
(b) A shape shifter.
(c) An excellent cook.
(d) A proficient seamstress.
4. What kills Waterlily at the end of Chapter 17?
(d) Little Chief.
5. What can anyone question during the event Waterlily's cousin holds?
(a) The girls' honor.
(b) Their faith in God.
(c) Their importance to the tribe.
(d) The validity of the engagement.
6. What type of horses does Black Eagle have at the start of Chapter 13?
(a) Chestnut mares.
(b) American horses.
(c) Shetland ponies.
(d) Winged horses.
7. Why are Waterlily and her cousin allowed to participate in cutting down the Sacred Tree?
(a) They begged and pleaded.
(b) They are both beloved children.
(c) A bribe by Rainbow.
(d) They are the best behaved children in attendance.
8. What disease does Sacred Horse and his immediate family have at the start of Chapter 16?
(a) The Bubonic plague.
9. How do the elders feel about Rainbow's decision to go visit his best friend?
(a) They could careless.
(b) They do not fault him for it.
(c) They are irate about it.
(d) They beg him not to go.
10. What does the young boy promise in sacrifice to the spirit during the dance?
(a) The life of his sister.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) His soul.
(d) One hundred pieces of flesh.
11. What follows the singing in the celebration in Chapter 11?
(a) Fasting and weeping.
(b) Nothing- that is the end of the celebration.
(c) Hunting and feasting.
(d) More singing.
12. In Chapter 17, why can't Waterlily tell Lowanla the truth about their first meeting?
(a) She does not remember it at all.
(b) Sacred Horse's family would disapprove.
(c) It would hurt him to learn the truth.
(d) She should not have been so bold as to bring him water during the Sun Dance.
13. Why does Waterlily show no emotion when meeting her future husband in Chapter 17?
(a) She cannot stand the man.
(b) She plans to run away as soon as possible.
(c) She is still grieving for Sacred Horse.
(d) She believes he is a spy.
14. What does the young man in the Sun Dance do when Waterlily offers him something while he is dancing in Chapter 11?
(a) Knocks it out of her hand.
(b) Laughs at her.
(c) Leaves the dance with her immediately.
(d) Ignores her.
15. What teaching keeps Waterlily from revealing the truth to Lowanla in Chapter 17?
(a) How to lie effectively.
(b) Dakota women and their honor.
(c) Never say an unkind word.
(d) What he does not know will not hurt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the two horses before the ghostkeeping?
2. Why is the young boy going to be part of the dance in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Sacred Horse's cousin say will marry Waterlily in Chapter 17?
4. How do Sacred Horse and Waterlily walk home after the storytelling in Chapter 15?
5. What happens while Waterlily goes after Little Bear who is collecting water in Chapter 16?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)