|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does finding her social parents do for Waterlily?
(a) Ease her homesickness.
(b) Free her from a loveless marriage.
(c) Put more of a burden on her.
(d) Make her insane.
2. Why does Waterlily show no emotion when meeting her future husband in Chapter 17?
(a) She plans to run away as soon as possible.
(b) She believes he is a spy.
(c) She cannot stand the man.
(d) She is still grieving for Sacred Horse.
3. What does the family decide to have instead of a burial when Gloku dies?
(a) A cremation.
(b) A ghostkeeping.
(c) A party to celebrate.
(d) A feast in which all tribes are fed.
4. How does Waterlily respond to Lowanla's question about who she is in Chapter 17?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She refuses to tell him the truth.
(c) She says she has no idea what she is talking about.
(d) She leaves him.
5. What makes Waterlily feel guilty about the way her marriage to Sacred Horse started?
(a) She never cooked well for him.
(b) She cheated on him.
(c) She was so shy at first.
(d) She never loved him.
6. Who has Ohiya taken a vow of fellowship with?
(a) Star Elk.
(b) Sacred Horse.
(d) Red Leaf.
7. What teaching keeps Waterlily from revealing the truth to Lowanla in Chapter 17?
(a) Dakota women and their honor.
(b) How to lie effectively.
(c) Never say an unkind word.
(d) What he does not know will not hurt him.
8. Who does Lowanla ask Waterlily if she was in Chapter 17?
(a) The girl he saw riding across the plains.
(b) The girl at the Sun Dance.
(c) The girl in all the rumors he had heard.
(d) The ghost of his mother.
9. Who dies during Gloku's ghostkeeping ceremony?
(b) The whole tribe.
(c) No one.
(d) Red Leaf.
10. How does Rainbow's best friend refer to Gloku?
(a) Aunt Gloku.
(b) As mother.
(c) Her grace.
(d) He refuses to speak to her.
11. What does Sacred Horse's friend suggest he do about the problems with Waterlily in Chapter 15?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Divorce her.
(c) Teach her his language.
(d) Move back among her people.
12. What does Waterlily's cousin have because a boy claims she agreed to marry him?
(a) A great feast.
(b) A Virgin's Fire.
(c) A very angry family.
(d) An engagement party.
13. Why are Waterlily and her cousin allowed to participate in cutting down the Sacred Tree?
(a) They are both beloved children.
(b) A bribe by Rainbow.
(c) They are the best behaved children in attendance.
(d) They begged and pleaded.
14. Why has Good Hunter destroyed most of the camp circle in Chapter 16?
(a) As a sacrifice.
(b) He has turned traitor.
(c) He has gone mad.
(d) To try and get rid of the smallpox.
15. Who comes to tell stories while Waterlily is at Red Leaf's family's tipi in Chapter 15?
(a) Gloku's spirit.
(b) Star Elk.
(c) Black Eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Waterlily do as soon as the ghostkeeping is over in Chapter 13?
2. How do Waterlily and Little Bear find Little Bear's mother, Echo, in Chapter 16?
3. What celebration is going on when Rainbow and family arrive at the far off camp circle in Chapter 10?
4. What happens at the same time Waterlily's grandfather dies?
5. What is given in the name of the dead to end the ghostkeeping?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)