|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Black Eagle and his family trying to find before the ghostkeeping in Chapter 13?
(a) Somewhere else to live.
(b) A singer for the ceremony.
(c) Replacement horses.
(d) Gloku's money.
2. Why are Waterlily and her cousin allowed to participate in cutting down the Sacred Tree?
(a) They are the best behaved children in attendance.
(b) They are both beloved children.
(c) They begged and pleaded.
(d) A bribe by Rainbow.
3. What happens to Sacred Horse at the start of Chapter 16?
(a) He is severely beaten.
(b) He is made chief.
(c) He dies from the disease killing the tribe.
(d) He is killed by an attacker's arrow.
4. Why is the young boy going to be part of the dance in Chapter 11?
(a) He has prayed for his dying father.
(b) His father is chief of the tribe.
(c) His mother begged the chief to let him do it.
(d) He can out dance everyone in the tribe.
5. What does the family decide to have instead of a burial when Gloku dies?
(a) A cremation.
(b) A party to celebrate.
(c) A ghostkeeping.
(d) A feast in which all tribes are fed.
6. What type of horses does Black Eagle have at the start of Chapter 13?
(a) American horses.
(b) Chestnut mares.
(c) Shetland ponies.
(d) Winged horses.
7. What disease does Sacred Horse and his immediate family have at the start of Chapter 16?
(b) The Bubonic plague.
8. What does Waterlily vow to do regarding sneaking away in Chapter 11?
(a) To never sneak away again.
(b) To do it again as soon as possible.
(c) To never tell anyone about it.
(d) To take Little Chief with her next time.
9. How does Sacred Horse treat Waterlily?
(a) With patience and kindness.
(b) He will not speak to her.
(c) Like an idiot.
10. What does the Buffalo ceremony mark in Waterlily's life?
(a) Her first buffalo kill.
(b) Her decision to leave the camp circle.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) The change from childhood to adolescence.
11. What does the Dakota term Kola refer to?
(a) A holy man.
(b) A shadow hunter.
(c) Someone who is more than a friend but not a blood relative.
(d) A great soft dink they have invented.
12. Why are the men supposed to dance around the tree for several days in Chapter 11?
(a) It is entertaining for the rest of the tribe.
(b) It is a contest of stamina.
(c) So their prayers are answered.
(d) To show themselves to the women of the tribe.
13. What do the two women want from Black Eagle and his family in exchange for the two horses in Chapter 13?
(a) Two cows.
(b) A new tipi.
(c) Waterlily to marry their son.
(d) Black Eagle's servitude.
14. What does the young man in the Sun Dance do when Waterlily offers him something while he is dancing in Chapter 11?
(a) Leaves the dance with her immediately.
(b) Knocks it out of her hand.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Laughs at her.
15. What kills Waterlily at the end of Chapter 17?
(b) Little Chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Waterlily's cousin that is mentioned in Chapter 12?
2. What do the women of the camp sneak and offer the men during the dance in Chapter 11?
3. What does Sacred Horse's friend suggest he do about the problems with Waterlily in Chapter 15?
4. What is the camp circle left with for the rest of the winter in Chapter 16?
5. What happens to the two horses before the ghostkeeping?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)