|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Star Elk summon to be with them when he takes Blue Bird to his family?
(a) The chief of the tribe.
(b) An Indian spirit god.
(c) Several servants.
(d) Blue Bird's grandmother.
2. What does Little Chief come to Blue Bird's tipi to do in Chapter 4?
(a) Threaten Blue Bird.
(b) Play with Waterlily.
(c) Bring Blue Bird food.
(d) Give advice to Blue Bird.
3. In Chapter 8, what is six-year-old Waterlily left to do while her grandmother goes out for the day?
(a) Chop the firewood for the night.
(b) Hunt that night's dinner.
(c) Clean the tipi.
(d) Care for her blind grandfather.
4. How many brothers were on the hunting trip with Blue Bird when she was a child?
(a) None; she is an only child.
5. What does Blue Bird's grandmother spend her days doing once they return to their family's camp circle?
(a) Yelling at Blue Bird.
(b) Talking to the chief.
(c) Sewing clothes for Waterlily.
(d) Going from tipi to tipi to visit old friends.
6. What does Waterlily love to hear her brother talk about in Chapter 9?
(c) Her mother.
(d) His first buffalo kill.
7. What happens to Waterlily after Blue Bird prays for her and returns to camp in Chapter 3?
(a) She is kidnapped by Star Elk.
(b) She begins to get better.
(c) She begins to speak in tongues.
(d) She fades into a coma and dies.
8. What was given to Blue Bird and her grandmother when they join the camp circle in Chapter 2?
(a) A bodyguard to assure their safety.
(b) Several diseases including small pox.
(c) The rules of the camp circle.
(d) Everything they needed to live there, including a tipi.
9. What does Little Chief want to do that he is refused because he is too young in Chapter 9?
(a) Hear the ghost stories being told.
(b) Smoke the peace pipe.
(c) Join the war party.
(d) Speak his mind.
10. What does Little Chief tell Gloku he sees on top of a hill in Box Butte?
(a) He sees a giant on the hill.
(b) He sees an attacking army.
(c) He sees a ghost.
(d) He sees the spirit of his parents.
11. How does Waterlily feel about the man Little Chief is becoming in Chapter 9?
(a) She really does not care.
(b) She is very proud of him.
(c) She is highly disappointed.
(d) She is very jealous of the attention he receives.
12. What does Star Elk spend his time doing instead of hunting for food?
(a) Begging from people in the camp.
(b) Looking for a new wife.
(c) Being jealous of the attention Blue Bird receives from other men.
(d) He sleeps soundly.
13. What was Blue Bird's grandmother worried Star Elk would do to Blue Bird?
(a) Kill her while on their honeymoon.
(b) Take her away never to return.
(c) Disgrace her by not honoring his commitment to her.
(d) Physically abuse her.
14. In the story that Black Eagle's family hears in Chapter 6, what did the buffalo do when the tribe was starving?
(a) Enter the camp and allow enough of them to be killed to avoid the tribe starving.
(b) Die of starvation as well.
(c) Stampede through a hunting party.
(d) Desert the plains and remain out of site until the winter was over.
15. Who comes to take Blue Bird and her grandmother back to their people?
(a) The chief of her tribe.
(b) Her estranged husband, Star Elk.
(c) The spirit of her father.
(d) Blue Bird's cousin, Black Eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Dakotas feel about their siblings' accomplishments?
2. While thankful for the help of her sister-in-laws, what is Blue Bird careful to avoid doing?
3. What do Dakotas believe they are in relation to all things?
4. Who do Gloku and her husband believe would be a good husband for Blue Bird?
5. Who does Little Chief begin training with?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)