|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Blue Bird's sister-in-laws' loyalty belong to ultimately?
(a) The chief of the tribe.
(c) Blue Bird.
2. What do Dakotas believe they are in relation to all things?
(a) They are here to conquer all things.
(b) They are part of all things.
(c) They are afraid of them.
(d) They are inconsequential.
3. What is Rainbow going to do to Waterlily because he is so glad she is alive?
(a) Make her a hunka, or beloved child.
(b) Give her every desire she has.
(c) Teach her how to hunt buffalo.
(d) Write a song for her.
4. What happens to Blue Bird's grandmother while she is gathering wood in the summer?
(a) She is bitten by a spider.
(b) She finds an amulet buried in the ground.
(c) She is kidnapped by a warring tribe.
(d) She is killed when a tree falls on her.
5. What happens to Waterlily after Blue Bird prays for her and returns to camp in Chapter 3?
(a) She is kidnapped by Star Elk.
(b) She begins to speak in tongues.
(c) She fades into a coma and dies.
(d) She begins to get better.
6. What state does Gloku find Waterlily in when she returns to her tipi in Chapter 8?
(a) She is extremely hyper.
(b) A hallucinogenic trance.
(c) She has gone insane.
(d) She is lying on the floor of the tipi very still.
7. What does Blue Bird believe is the significance of the unseen voice she hears after praying for her daughter in Chapter 3?
(a) Her husband is eavesdropping on her.
(b) She believes it a sign to run from the camp immediately.
(c) Her prayers will be answered.
(d) She has developed a high fever and is hallucinating.
8. Where does Gloku decide to take the children to learn to pray?
(a) To the chapel at Santa Anna.
(b) The pile of prayers.
(c) The waterfall in the river.
(d) To the shaman of the tribe.
9. What does Blue Bird make for Little Chief in Chapter 4?
(a) A headdress.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A pair of moccasins.
(d) A wonderful meal.
10. What does Blue Bird gather to make an altar to pray for her daughter in Chapter 3?
(a) Sticks and leaves.
(b) Several buckets of water blessed by the chief.
(c) A bushel of corn husks.
(d) The only things left of her father's.
11. What are Rainbow's sisters preparing for Blue Bird's upcoming new baby at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) A name for the baby.
(b) Cradles and clothing for the baby.
(c) A chest filled with toys.
(d) A boat to carry the baby down river.
12. What two characteristics define the Dakota tribe?
(a) They are lazy and shiftless.
(b) They are cold and ruthless.
(c) They are nomadic and wild.
(d) They are devoted and loyal.
13. Why does Star Elk leave the camp permanently in Chapter 3?
(a) He is ashamed of his own behavior towards Blue Bird.
(b) He is killed by a buffalo.
(c) He finds a better camp to live in.
(d) The chief orders him to leave immediately.
14. What is Little Chief given after one of his first training sessions?
(a) A slingshot.
(b) His first horse.
(c) A bow and arrow.
(d) A tipi of his own.
15. What does Rainbow find in the bushes when he investigates in Chapter 9?
(a) A rabid coyote.
(b) Waterlily and Little Chief.
(c) A bag of gold.
(d) A dead Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people know about Blue Bird despite what is being said about her?
2. What does Blue Bird's mother-in-law think Blue Bird's cousin can help her do?
3. What is Waterlily learning to be proud of in Chapter 8?
4. How does Waterlily feel about the man Little Chief is becoming in Chapter 9?
5. Who wants to give Waterlily a horse in Chapter 4?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)