|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is all Blue Bird is good for, according to Star Elk?
(a) To fetch water or fuel.
(b) Her beautiful sowing.
(c) Her wonderful singing voice.
2. Why does Star Elk treat Blue Bird badly?
(a) He believes she is possessed by a demon.
(b) He is jealous of the way other men look at her.
(c) She treats him horribly.
(d) He is in love with another woman.
3. What will Waterlily do at any festival in the future to let people know how her father felt about her?
(a) Be in charge of the festivities.
(b) Paint her face red.
(c) Sing the song he wrote her.
(d) Give a speech.
4. What did Star Elk question about Blue Bird twice publicly?
(a) Her honor.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her motives for marriage.
(d) Her family heritage.
5. Who does Star Elk summon to be with them when he takes Blue Bird to his family?
(a) The chief of the tribe.
(b) Several servants.
(c) An Indian spirit god.
(d) Blue Bird's grandmother.
6. Who comes to visit each of the families in the camp circle during the winter?
(a) The white buffalo.
(b) Woyaka, a famed storyteller.
(c) Several ghosts.
(d) A United States soldier.
7. What is Waterlily starting to understand as she grows into an adult?
(a) How to cook properly.
(b) The significance of Dakota traditions and her place in them.
(c) The burden she has put on her mother.
(d) Her role as a slave to the men of the tribe.
8. What two characteristics define the Dakota tribe?
(a) They are cold and ruthless.
(b) They are nomadic and wild.
(c) They are devoted and loyal.
(d) They are lazy and shiftless.
9. What does Gloku's dream tell her that she feels very uneasy about?
(a) In four nights she will be in danger and will be invisible.
(b) There will not be enough food for the winter.
(c) The camp circle has been infiltrated by spies.
(d) Rainbow is cheating on his new wife, Blue Bird.
10. How does Blue Bird notice Rainbow is different from Star Elk?
(a) He is much more attractive than Star Elk.
(b) He speaks more eloquently.
(c) His work ethic is much better.
(d) He is more intelligent.
11. What would a Dakota couple do in place of a traditional wedding ceremony?
(a) The couple would cut each other's hair off.
(b) They would perform a wedding dance.
(c) The couple would hunt a buffalo together.
(d) The couple would go on a wedding trip, then return and set up a tipi together.
12. What does Waterlily love to hear her brother talk about in Chapter 9?
(a) Her mother.
(c) His first buffalo kill.
13. What was given to Blue Bird and her grandmother when they join the camp circle in Chapter 2?
(a) The rules of the camp circle.
(b) Several diseases including small pox.
(c) Everything they needed to live there, including a tipi.
(d) A bodyguard to assure their safety.
14. Where is Blue Bird having friends and family call on her in Chapter 4?
(a) At the spot where Waterlily was born.
(b) She is not allowing friends and family call on her.
(c) In her own tipi.
(d) The middle of the camp circle.
15. What does Gloku teach the children while they are in her care?
(a) To behave and respect each other.
(b) How to shoot a bow and arrow.
(c) How to sing.
(d) To speak the English language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dakota women taught is important from early childhood?
2. When Dakotas take people into their family, what do they become?
3. What state does Gloku find Waterlily in when she returns to her tipi in Chapter 8?
4. Who wants to give Waterlily a horse in Chapter 4?
5. What does Little Chief come to Blue Bird's tipi to do in Chapter 4?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)