|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gloku's dream tell her that she feels very uneasy about?
(a) The camp circle has been infiltrated by spies.
(b) There will not be enough food for the winter.
(c) Rainbow is cheating on his new wife, Blue Bird.
(d) In four nights she will be in danger and will be invisible.
2. What do Dakotas believe they are in relation to all things?
(a) They are inconsequential.
(b) They are here to conquer all things.
(c) They are part of all things.
(d) They are afraid of them.
3. What did Star Elk question about Blue Bird twice publicly?
(a) Her family heritage.
(b) Her motives for marriage.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her honor.
4. What happens to Blue Bird's grandmother while she is gathering wood in the summer?
(a) She is bitten by a spider.
(b) She is killed when a tree falls on her.
(c) She is kidnapped by a warring tribe.
(d) She finds an amulet buried in the ground.
5. What happens to Blue Bir'ds newborn baby when Waterlily leaves his side in Chapter 7?
(a) He awakes crying and hungry.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He begins to speak in tongues.
(d) A snake crawls into the tipi and coils around the baby.
6. What does Little Chief want to do that he is refused because he is too young in Chapter 9?
(a) Smoke the peace pipe.
(b) Hear the ghost stories being told.
(c) Speak his mind.
(d) Join the war party.
7. How many brothers were on the hunting trip with Blue Bird when she was a child?
(d) None; she is an only child.
8. What doesn't seem to help Waterlily's illness at all in Chapter 3?
(a) Small sips of cool water given to her by her mother.
(b) Any of the medicines the women of the tribe suggest her mother tried.
(c) Several people singing to her.
(d) The medicines given to her mother by a shaman.
9. What is Waterlily learning to be proud of in Chapter 8?
(a) Her sheer wisdom.
(b) Her power and might.
(c) Her hunting prowess.
(d) Her family and their accomplishments.
10. What does Rainbow ask his parents to borrow in Chapter 4?
(a) A sturdy fishing line.
(b) Their hunting tipi.
(c) Wood for a fire.
(d) Several hundred dollars.
11. Where does Blue Bird spend the night after Waterlily is born?
(a) In her husband's bed.
(b) With her cousin.
(c) In the midst of the growing water lilies.
(d) In a hammock by the river.
12. What does Rainbow hear while sitting around the campfire on the hunting trip in Chapter 9?
(a) A ghost whispering.
(b) The war cries of another tribe.
(c) A bird calling.
(d) An approaching storm.
13. In the Dakota tribe, who customarily helps parents raise their children?
(a) The council of tribal elders.
(b) No one; the mother must do it on her own.
(c) The grandmother and aunts of the child.
(d) The God of the water.
14. Why does Star Elk leave the camp permanently in Chapter 3?
(a) He finds a better camp to live in.
(b) He is ashamed of his own behavior towards Blue Bird.
(c) He is killed by a buffalo.
(d) The chief orders him to leave immediately.
15. Who do Gloku and her husband believe would be a good husband for Blue Bird?
(a) Gloku's cousin.
(b) Little Chief.
(d) No one; they believe she should stay single.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Blue Bird's grandmother worried Star Elk would do to Blue Bird?
2. What job is given to Little Chief in Chapter 9?
3. What does Gloku take every opportunity to do to Blue Bird in Chapter 6?
4. Where does Gloku decide to take the children to learn to pray?
5. What happens after Blue Bird and her grandmother wander alone for a few days in Chapter 2?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)