|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blue Bird's response to Rainbow's marriage proposal?
(a) She agrees to marry him.
(b) She laughs in Rainbow's face.
(c) She begins to weep and wail.
(d) She runs to tell all of her friends.
2. What does Little Chief accomplish when Waterlily is twelve years old?
(a) He swims across the river.
(b) He annoys her to death.
(c) He writes his own song.
(d) He kills his first buffalo.
3. What does Star Elk spend his time doing instead of hunting for food?
(a) Looking for a new wife.
(b) Being jealous of the attention Blue Bird receives from other men.
(c) He sleeps soundly.
(d) Begging from people in the camp.
4. While thankful for the help of her sister-in-laws, what is Blue Bird careful to avoid doing?
(a) Taking advantage of their kindness.
(b) Speaking her true feelings about them.
(c) Letting them know her plans to run away.
(d) Talking to Rainbow about the baby.
5. What does Gloku take every opportunity to do to Blue Bird in Chapter 6?
(a) Tell her she is no good.
(b) Make fun of the way she speaks.
(c) Introduce her to the new people at the camp.
(d) Criticize the way she raises her daughter.
6. Who taught Waterlily to take pride in Little Chief's accomplishments?
(a) Blue Bird.
(b) No one.
7. What happened to Blue Bird at the age of fourteen while picking beans with her grandmother?
(a) Her family was attacked and killed.
(b) She had a vision of her future daughter.
(c) She found a magic coin.
(d) She saw a shooting star.
8. What name does Rainbow give Blue Bird's new baby?
(a) Stallion Breath.
(b) Water Horse.
9. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
(a) The war they waged against Dakota men.
(b) Their rise to government positions.
(c) Their lives and customs.
(d) The effect of the telephone on them.
10. What two characteristics define the Dakota tribe?
(a) They are nomadic and wild.
(b) They are lazy and shiftless.
(c) They are cold and ruthless.
(d) They are devoted and loyal.
11. What does Blue Bird's mother-in-law think Blue Bird's cousin can help her do?
(a) Get over Star Elk.
(b) Find a name for the newborn baby.
(c) Care for the newborn baby.
(d) Escape into the wilderness.
12. Why does Blue Bird name her daughter Waterlily?
(a) She could not think of a better name.
(b) She was commanded to by the chief.
(c) She was born near water-lilies and her mother thinks she is as beautiful as the water-lilies.
(d) It was her grandmother's name.
13. What does Blue Bird gather to make an altar to pray for her daughter in Chapter 3?
(a) The only things left of her father's.
(b) Several buckets of water blessed by the chief.
(c) A bushel of corn husks.
(d) Sticks and leaves.
14. What is all Blue Bird is good for, according to Star Elk?
(b) Her wonderful singing voice.
(c) Her beautiful sowing.
(d) To fetch water or fuel.
15. What would a Dakota couple do in place of a traditional wedding ceremony?
(a) The couple would cut each other's hair off.
(b) The couple would go on a wedding trip, then return and set up a tipi together.
(c) The couple would hunt a buffalo together.
(d) They would perform a wedding dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloku do with the children's rocks in Chapter 5?
2. What does Blue Bird's grandmother spend her days doing once they return to their family's camp circle?
3. What does Blue Bird realize about marrying Rainbow?
4. What will Waterlily do at any festival in the future to let people know how her father felt about her?
5. What does Blue Bird take her children out to do as Waterlily gets older?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)