|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters One through Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "Hao" mean in the Dakota language?
(a) Child of God.
(b) It is the word for approval and consent.
(c) It means life and spirit.
(d) It is the word for rain.
2. What causes Blue Bird to worry Waterlily is going to die in Chapter 3?
(a) Her weakening condition.
(b) Her husband is trying to kill both of them.
(c) A sign from God.
(d) The words spoken to her by her grandmother.
3. Who comes to take Blue Bird and her grandmother back to their people?
(a) Blue Bird's cousin, Black Eagle.
(b) The chief of her tribe.
(c) Her estranged husband, Star Elk.
(d) The spirit of her father.
4. Where does Blue Bird spend the night after Waterlily is born?
(a) In the midst of the growing water lilies.
(b) With her cousin.
(c) In a hammock by the river.
(d) In her husband's bed.
5. What was Blue Bird's grandmother worried Star Elk would do to Blue Bird?
(a) Disgrace her by not honoring his commitment to her.
(b) Physically abuse her.
(c) Take her away never to return.
(d) Kill her while on their honeymoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Blue Bird's grandmother not pleased with Blue Bird's intention to marry Star Elk?
2. Why does Star Elk leave the camp permanently in Chapter 3?
3. What happened to Blue Bird at the age of fourteen while picking beans with her grandmother?
4. What are Dakota women taught is important from early childhood?
5. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)