|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters One through Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Blue Bird name her daughter Waterlily?
(a) She was commanded to by the chief.
(b) She was born near water-lilies and her mother thinks she is as beautiful as the water-lilies.
(c) She could not think of a better name.
(d) It was her grandmother's name.
2. What does Blue Bird's mother-in-law think Blue Bird's cousin can help her do?
(a) Find a name for the newborn baby.
(b) Escape into the wilderness.
(c) Care for the newborn baby.
(d) Get over Star Elk.
3. What does Blue Bird do immediately after giving birth?
(a) Wraps the baby up and changes clothes.
(b) Drown the baby in the river.
(c) Runs to find Star Elk.
(d) Say a prayer of thankfulness.
4. What does Blue Bird believe is the significance of the unseen voice she hears after praying for her daughter in Chapter 3?
(a) She believes it a sign to run from the camp immediately.
(b) Her prayers will be answered.
(c) She has developed a high fever and is hallucinating.
(d) Her husband is eavesdropping on her.
5. What does this book, "Waterlily", tell the reader about the Dakota women?
(a) The war they waged against Dakota men.
(b) Their rise to government positions.
(c) Their lives and customs.
(d) The effect of the telephone on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Star Elk refuse to do in Chapter 3 out of anger towards Blue Bird?
2. What causes Blue Bird to worry Waterlily is going to die in Chapter 3?
3. What do the people know about Blue Bird despite what is being said about her?
4. What was Blue Bird's grandmother worried Star Elk would do to Blue Bird?
5. Why does the camp say they are making fun of Star Elk in Chapter 3?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)