|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom think is a superstition people believed in "once upon a time"?
(a) That history matters.
(c) The goodness of human kind.
(d) The end of the world.
2. What about Mary strikes Tom when he returns from Germany at the end of World War II to marry her?
(a) How much more beautiful she has become.
(b) How much of her old spark and curiosity she has lost.
(c) How frail and vulnerable she seems.
(d) How tough and independent she has become.
3. At the end of chapter 44, Tom Crick decides that what people really want to know isn't truth. What they really want is...
(a) To know that they're right.
(c) To laugh at someone.
(d) An excuse to hate.
4. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
(a) The French people's father and wicked step-mother.
(b) Him and Mary.
(c) Adam and Eve on the day the serpent came.
(d) Two scared rabbits trapped in a hole.
5. What important phrase does Tom shout to Price just before they part?
(a) Don't forget me!
(b) Don't let them do it!
(c) Don't become like I am!
(d) All I told you was lies!
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
2. On the day that Freddie Parr was found dead in the river, Mary confesses what to Tom?
3. During the festivities for the newly crowned King George V, the New Atkinson Brewery is destroyed. How?
4. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
5. Who dies of the flu?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)