|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernest Atkinson do with the three remaining steam ships he owns?
(a) He names them after his daughter, Helen I, Helen II, and Helen III.
(b) He donates them to the army to aid in the war effort.
(c) He converts them into pleasure cruise ships.
(d) He sells them to the city of Gildsey for the use of the fire brigade.
2. What does Freddie Parr do to Mary as revenge for setting him up to lose the competition because she knew he couldn't swim?
(a) He holds her under water until she nearly drowns.
(b) He rolls her in wet mud until she is totally covered by it.
(c) He slips a large eel into her knickers.
(d) He steals all her clothes and forces her to walk home naked.
3. What is the term Tom Crick keeps using to refer to Mary's attitude towards the world when she was an adolescent?
4. What is Henry Crick's occupation?
(a) Brewmaster at the Atkinson Brewery.
(b) Lock keeper at the Atkinson Lock.
(c) Barge captain on the River Ouse.
(d) History teacher.
5. What is Ernest Atkinson's reaction to the fire?
(a) He shows no reaction and drives off to his country estate.
(b) He frantically alerts the fire brigade, but they are too drunk to help.
(c) He weeps openly on front of the entire town.
(d) He sings loudly with the other revelers as the brewery collapses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
2. What does Tom dream that he considers telling the headmaster about?
3. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
4. Why does his most outspoken student reject Tom Crick's attempt to teach the class history?
5. What is the name of the ale Ernest Atkinson brews that seems to cause the end of any respect for him in Gildsey because it is too good?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)