|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Price tells Tom Crick of his nightmare about:
(a) A black dog outside his window.
(b) A nuclear holocaust.
(c) A wailing woman in a supermarket.
(d) Tom Crick dying on the last day of class.
2. What reason does the headmaster give the students for Tom's retirement from the school?
(a) Because the history department will be cut.
(b) Personal reasons.
(c) Health reasons.
(d) Because Tom is a disgrace to the school.
3. Why does Tom Crick decide to study the history of the Fens?
(a) Because it is the only history that holds any fascination for him.
(b) Because the only scholarship to university he can get is for Fenland history.
(c) To avoid thinking about the history that is in the making as World War II rages.
(d) Because the only history books he can find during the Battle for Britain are local ones.
4. What do Tom and Mary hope will happen as they drive back to the supermarket to return the child?
(a) That they can find the mother and return the child quietly.
(b) That the mother will have simply disappeared.
(c) That the mother will not have noticed that the child has gone.
(d) That the mother will let them keep the child.
5. Who hunted in Greenwich Park, where Tom and Mary sit in the evenings with their dog?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(b) The Duke of Wellington.
(c) Queen Anne.
(d) King Henry VIII.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phrase Tom uses about who should not have to prop up whom?
2. Tom Crick's wife, Mary, has been sent to a mental institution. Why?
3. What is the historical fact that Tom says "history scarcely finds time to mention"?
4. What is it that Tom decides he must find at all cost?
5. What does Tom Crick think the French really celebrate on Bastille Day when they mark the beginning of the French Revolution?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)