|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom thinks that people who focus on ideals like the Declaration of the Rights of Man instead of the details of the French Revolution forget what important fact?
(a) That no man is an island and no idea exists outside of time.
(b) That the revolutionaries were hypocrites.
(c) The importance of the birthday of Louis XVI.
(d) That the revolution included barricades, bloodshed, and the guillotine.
2. What mesmerized King Canute as he was rowed past Ely?
(a) The sound of the sea breeze as it rushed through the reeds.
(b) The singing of the swans in the fens.
(c) The beauty of the girls washing laundry near the riverbank.
(d) The chanting of the monks at the Ely monastery.
3. What is the object that Dick Crick treats like it is a real person?
(a) His father's radio.
(b) His motorbike.
(c) His dead mother's sewing machine.
(d) His barge engine.
4. What does Tom compare migrating geese to in the winter of 1943?
(b) Bomber formations.
(c) Sword tips pointing south.
(d) Nazi parades.
5. Tom compares Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to what at the eve of the French Revolution?
(a) Two scared rabbits trapped in a hole.
(b) The French people's father and wicked step-mother.
(c) Adam and Eve on the day the serpent came.
(d) Him and Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
2. On what days does Tom stay at home at night because Dick spends the evenings out with Mary?
3. What to Tom and Mary ask Martha to help them with?
4. What does Tom tell Dick about Mary's baby?
5. Which two fictional characters does Tom compare himself and Mary to as they walk the Fenland tracks to Martha Clay's cottage?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)