|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom compare migrating geese to in the winter of 1943?
(a) Bomber formations.
(b) Sword tips pointing south.
(d) Nazi parades.
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
(b) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
(c) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(d) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
3. What does Tom compare the sound of Dick's motorcycle to the evening Mary has broken up with Tom?
(a) A bomber airplane.
(b) Machine gun fire.
(c) The thudding of his own heart.
(d) The growling of an angry beast.
4. Tom Crick compares the end of a person's life to...
(a) A jungle of tangled memories.
(b) A second childhood.
(c) Drowning in a sea of regrets.
(d) A creeping darkness.
5. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(b) Where and how eels mate.
(c) How long eels have existed.
(d) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the image Tom uses to describe his idea of progress?
2. What does Tom compare his father to as every day he sees him trudge back and forth along the canal?
3. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
4. What tells Tom that he and Mary must finish their argument quickly because the park is about to close?
5. What is Dick's reaction to the revelation about his birth?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)