|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks the end of Ernest Atkinson's political career?
(a) He runs as a candidate for the Liberal Party.
(b) He opposes the unionization of dock workers.
(c) He offends the mayor of Gildsey.
(d) He sneezes in parliament during a speech by King George V.
2. What is the great mystery about the eel that nobody has been able to explain?
(a) What family of species the eel really belongs to.
(b) How long eels have existed.
(c) How eels can live both in salt water and fresh water.
(d) Where and how eels mate.
3. Which of the boys' bodies does Mary appear to be most interested in?
(a) Freddie Parr.
(b) Terry Coe.
(c) Dick Crick.
(d) Tom Crick.
4. What did the inquest decide was the cause of Freddie Parr's death?
(a) Freddie had been hit on the head with a bottle.
(b) Freddie was drunk, fell in the water, and could not swim.
(c) Freddie had committed suicide.
(d) Freddie had been robbed and drowned by thugs.
5. What is the name of the student Tom Crick butts heads with the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "explaining's a way of avoiding the facts while you pretend to get near to them?"
2. What medical condition is Tom afraid that Mary might have?
3. How does Tom eventually arrange to marry Mary, even though her father Harold Metcalf hates him?
4. What does Ernest Atkinson, Tom's grandfather, do that marks the beginning of a long list of scandalous behavior?
5. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)