|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Crick, Tom's father, is obsessed with one question about Freddie's death that he repeats over and over again. What is it?
(a) Could he have saved Freddie?
(b) How did Freddie die?
(c) Why did Freddie have to die?
(d) Who killed Freddie?
2. What convinced Tom Crick that he should study and teach history?
(a) Seeing destroyed German cities after World War II.
(b) Receiving a history book as a secret gift from Mary when he leaves for the war.
(c) A conversation with a German POW who says history has ended in 1945.
(d) Hearing about the murder of six million Jews during the war.
3. How does Tom react to Mary's statement that "everything has changed" with Freddie's death.
(a) He says nothing and watches Mary run off into the night.
(b) He slaps Mary and shouts,
(c) He tears up lumps of grass and angrily throws them around.
(d) He laughs uncontrollably.
4. Tom Crick mentions a similarity his father found between his home and the battlefields of World War I. What is that similarity?
(a) The army served the same ale the Atkinsons brewed in Gildsey.
(b) The mud felt the same and eels swam in the pools.
(c) The men were silent and preferred to keep to themselves.
(d) The pretty girls in the town were disdainful of him.
5. What is the main fish that the Cricks and their neighbors catch for food?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Freddie's death, Mary reacts in a drastic way. What does she do?
2. What disaster befalls Sarah Atkinson when she is 37 years old?
3. Who does Tom Crick think his wife Mary is having a love affair with in her old age?
4. What does Tom Crick tell his students is the question humans must always ask about history?
5. The headmaster of the school where Tom Crick teaches history thinks Tom should retire from his job. Why?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)