|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spirit saved Song Jiang?
2. Who does the emperor send with the third amnesty decree?
3. Who was responsible for killing Chao Gai?
4. Where does Lu Junyi decide to go to try to avoid his bad fortune?
5. Which Ruan brother is piloting the boat that carries the Imperial wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Song Jiang decide to do in order to celebrate the completion of the 108 chieftains?
2. How is the plan that Tong Guan, Cai Jing, Gao Qui and Yang Jian devise to do away with the Liangshan Marsh bandits thwarted?
3. How is Chen Zhu killed?
4. How does Tang Long suggest that the bandits lure Xu Ning to their stronghold so he can teach them to fight with barbed lances?
5. What happens during the mass service at Liangshan Marsh?
6. Why is Lei Heng singled out when he goes to listen to Bai Xiuying sing?
7. Under what stipulations is Li Kui allowed to go with Wu Yong to persuade Lu Junyi to join the bandits?
8. What does Song Jiang do to memorialize Song Wan?
9. Why do the officials decide to go ahead with the yearly lantern festival?
10. What formation do the government armies decide they will use when they try to attack Song Jiang's forces the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Chao Gai decides to act upon the Red-Haired Demon's suggestion that they steal the birthday gifts intended for Cai the Premier he does so with the rationalization that these gifts were purchased with stolen money so it is not a crime to steal them back. Do you believe this rationalization is solid? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of loyalty and brotherhood as they are presented in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roots of the conflict between the bandits and the Chinese government. Can you pinpoint any one cause of the conflict? How does immorality and perverseness figure into the reasons why the conflict continues to escalate until all of the bandits are either dead or no longer interested in serving in government?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)