|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does an emissary come to visit Song Jiang just before the troops attack Hangzhou?
2. How does one of the bandits pass himself off as Marshal Su?
3. To whom does Lu Da hope to be able to go and pay his respects?
4. Where is Lord Chai found?
5. Who caught Chao Gai's killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lei Heng singled out when he goes to listen to Bai Xiuying sing?
2. What does the "fortune teller" tell Lu Junyi about his future?
3. How is Chen Zhu killed?
4. How does Jin Jie's wife advise him to tell Song Jiang of his plans to surrender.
5. What formation do the government armies decide they will use when they try to attack Song Jiang's forces the second time?
6. How does Song Jiang suggest the bandits fight as they are preparing for attack?
7. What does Song Jiang decide to do in order to celebrate the completion of the 108 chieftains?
8. What does Guan Sheng propose he do for the bandits as his entrance gift?
9. Why do the officials decide to go ahead with the yearly lantern festival?
10. How does Yan Qing keep Li Shishi from going too far in her advancements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of Inspector Ho in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roots of the conflict between the bandits and the Chinese government. Can you pinpoint any one cause of the conflict? How does immorality and perverseness figure into the reasons why the conflict continues to escalate until all of the bandits are either dead or no longer interested in serving in government?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ending of the novel. Is the ending satisfactory? What has happened to all of the bandit chieftains? What about the ones who plotted against them?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)