|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Wu Song gone on his journey?
2. How many bowls of wine does Shi En estimate Wu Song will drink before reaching Happy Grove if he follows his "Don't pass one without having three" principal?
3. Which of these is not a place that Song Jiang considers a safe escape from his pursuers?
4. What happens to Li Kui's mother?
5. What does Stumpy Tiger want?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Liangshan Marsh was first started as a stronghold, what was its purpose?
2. Describe Lu Da's staff.
3. What does the old man tell the infant Ren Zong that makes him stop crying?
4. Why is Song Jiang arrested at the lantern festival?
5. What does Lu Da tell the waiter at the Pan family tavern to do?
6. How does Coroner Ho know that Wu the Elder has been poisoned?
7. What happens to Wu Song at Zhang's home?
8. Why has Lord Chai lost some of his fondness for Wu Song?
9. What does Song Jiang write on the wall at the Xunyang Pavilion?
10. How does Yang kill Niu Er?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of the novel. Is the ending satisfactory? What has happened to all of the bandit chieftains? What about the ones who plotted against them?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the roles of women as they are presented in this novel. Are women presented in a good light? Are they presented as generally bad people? Are there any heroines in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roots of the conflict between the bandits and the Chinese government. Can you pinpoint any one cause of the conflict? How does immorality and perverseness figure into the reasons why the conflict continues to escalate until all of the bandits are either dead or no longer interested in serving in government?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)