|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Liu Tang meet with Song Jiang?
2. What does the prefect do to encourage Ho Tao to find those who stole the birthday gifts?
3. Which of these names do not belong to one of the three Ruan brothers?
4. What did Shi Qian steal that caused such a row?
5. In Chapter 23, who does Song Jiang request be seated at the head of the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Li Xing at the end of chapter 50?
2. What does Song Jiang decide to do in order to celebrate the completion of the 108 chieftains?
3. Why does Song Jiang not want to be part of a group of bandits?
4. Briefly describe Song Jiang.
5. Why is Lin Chong sent from the prison to the Army fodder depot?
6. What is Lin Chong's punishment for bringing the sword into the inner sanctum?
7. What does Song Jiang do to memorialize Song Wan?
8. How does Sun the Witch suggest that Wu Song dress so that he will not be arrested?
9. What happens to Wang Jin when he doesn't go to pay his respects to Gao Qui?
10. What does Song Jiang write on the wall at the Xunyang Pavilion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ending of the novel. Is the ending satisfactory? What has happened to all of the bandit chieftains? What about the ones who plotted against them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roots of the conflict between the bandits and the Chinese government. Can you pinpoint any one cause of the conflict? How does immorality and perverseness figure into the reasons why the conflict continues to escalate until all of the bandits are either dead or no longer interested in serving in government?
Essay Topic 3
Prepare a character sketch for Song Jiang. Include a physical description, description of his moral values in addition to his role in the action of the novel.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)