|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, who does Song Jiang request be seated at the head of the table?
2. Where does Yang Xiong have the sedan bearers take Clever Cloud and Ying'er?
3. Who is killed during the attack on Zhu Family Village?
4. What job is Lu Da given in the new monastery?
5. Where does Chai Jin send Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wu Song's principal "Don't pass one without having three" mean?
2. What does Song Jiang do for the old man who told him the secret of the circular, confusing paths around the Zhu Family Village?
3. How does Wu Song become a constable in Qinche?
4. What reasons does Wu Song give Song Jiang that the two should not travel together?
5. What does the old man tell the infant Ren Zong that makes him stop crying?
6. What do the stewards under Yang Zhi's command decide to tell Governor Liang about the theft of the gifts?
7. Why does Song Jiang believe that the Liangshan Marsh bandits will accept them into their group?
8. Why is Song Jiang upset with Li Kui after his killing rampage in the Zhu Family Village?
9. Why is Lin Chong sent from the prison to the Army fodder depot?
10. Why has Lord Chai lost some of his fondness for Wu Song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the conclusion of the novel, who were the ultimate winners? Although the bandits were able to save their country from a formidable foe (the Liaos) they never got the military or governmental honors and prestige they wanted. Write an essay in which you attempt to determine who were the winners of this conflict. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the devices that Song used to get men to join the bandit forces. Find three examples of unusual devices that Song uses to get certain men into the stronghold. What is your opinion of his devices? Do you think it is acceptable to trick people, sometimes causing them to become criminals, in order to get them into the group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chao Gai's role in the novel. What did he do before he sought refuge in the stronghold?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)