|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the entrance to Liangshan Marsh disguised as?
2. Why does Liu Tang meet with Song Jiang?
3. How much meat does Lu Da tell Zheng he wants to buy?
4. What does Sun Li offer as a gift for being allowed to join the Liangshan Marsh bandits?
5. What food makes Song Jiang sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wu Song become a constable in Qinche?
2. Why does Shi En, the prison guard, treat Wu Song so well while he is in jail?
3. What reasons does Wu Song give Song Jiang that the two should not travel together?
4. What do the stewards under Yang Zhi's command decide to tell Governor Liang about the theft of the gifts?
5. Briefly describe Song Jiang.
6. Why does Song Jiang believe that the Liangshan Marsh bandits will accept them into their group?
7. What happens to Wu Song at Zhang's home?
8. What happens to Li Xing at the end of chapter 50?
9. Why has Lord Chai lost some of his fondness for Wu Song?
10. Why is Lin Chong sent from the prison to the Army fodder depot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles of women as they are presented in this novel. Are women presented in a good light? Are they presented as generally bad people? Are there any heroines in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ending of the novel. Is the ending satisfactory? What has happened to all of the bandit chieftains? What about the ones who plotted against them?
Essay Topic 3
In the conclusion of the novel, who were the ultimate winners? Although the bandits were able to save their country from a formidable foe (the Liaos) they never got the military or governmental honors and prestige they wanted. Write an essay in which you attempt to determine who were the winners of this conflict. Explain your answer.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)