|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qin Ming offer as an entrance gift to the bandits?
2. Where does Yang Xiong have the sedan bearers take Clever Cloud and Ying'er?
3. How many demons are locked in the Suppression of Demons Hall?
4. What does the Mystic Queen give Song Jiang?
5. Where does Ho Qing say he has the robbers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Song Jiang.
2. Why does Song Jiang not want to be part of a group of bandits?
3. What do the stewards under Yang Zhi's command decide to tell Governor Liang about the theft of the gifts?
4. How does Golden Lotus kill Wu Song?
5. How do Yang Zhi and Lu Da take over Precious Pearl Monastery?
6. What does Lu Da tell the waiter at the Pan family tavern to do?
7. How does Coroner Ho know that Wu the Elder has been poisoned?
8. Why does Song Jiang kill Poxi?
9. How does Wu Song become a constable in Qinche?
10. How does Sun the Witch suggest that Wu Song dress so that he will not be arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the conclusion of the novel, who were the ultimate winners? Although the bandits were able to save their country from a formidable foe (the Liaos) they never got the military or governmental honors and prestige they wanted. Write an essay in which you attempt to determine who were the winners of this conflict. Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of loyalty and brotherhood as they are presented in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the devices that Song used to get men to join the bandit forces. Find three examples of unusual devices that Song uses to get certain men into the stronghold. What is your opinion of his devices? Do you think it is acceptable to trick people, sometimes causing them to become criminals, in order to get them into the group?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)