|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much meat does Lu Da tell Zheng he wants to buy?
2. What does Yang Zhi do when he learns the gifts are gone?
3. What reason does Poxi give for being angry at Song?
4. What food makes Song Jiang sick?
5. To what monastery is Lu Da traveling in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song Jiang believe that the Liangshan Marsh bandits will accept them into their group?
2. What happens to Wu Song at Zhang's home?
3. How does Coroner Ho know that Wu the Elder has been poisoned?
4. How does Yang kill Niu Er?
5. How does Sun the Witch suggest that Wu Song dress so that he will not be arrested?
6. What does Wu Song's principal "Don't pass one without having three" mean?
7. What happens to Wang Jin when he doesn't go to pay his respects to Gao Qui?
8. How does Lu Da finally get food when he is at the Waguan Monastery?
9. Describe Lu Da's staff.
10. Describe Li Kui.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roots of the conflict between the bandits and the Chinese government. Can you pinpoint any one cause of the conflict? How does immorality and perverseness figure into the reasons why the conflict continues to escalate until all of the bandits are either dead or no longer interested in serving in government?
Essay Topic 2
Prepare a character sketch for Song Jiang. Include a physical description, description of his moral values in addition to his role in the action of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the conclusion of the novel, who were the ultimate winners? Although the bandits were able to save their country from a formidable foe (the Liaos) they never got the military or governmental honors and prestige they wanted. Write an essay in which you attempt to determine who were the winners of this conflict. Explain your answer.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)