|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
2. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
3. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
4. In college, Pat Conroy was accused of having what kind of a nose?
5. Who is Pat Conroy's only friend in the administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
2. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
3. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
4. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
5. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
6. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
7. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
8. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
9. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
10. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)