|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
2. Who hangs the shocking pictures on the board in Chapter 7?
3. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
4. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
5. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)