|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
2. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
3. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
4. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
5. Why did Uncle Charlie cut his cat's head off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
3. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
4. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
5. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
6. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
7. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
8. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
9. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
10. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)