|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
2. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
3. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
4. Pat Conroy feels he is fighting against what at the school?
5. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
2. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
3. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
5. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
6. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
7. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
8. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
9. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)