|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
2. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
4. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
5. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
5. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
6. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
7. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
8. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
9. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
10. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)