|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls wear to graduation?
2. What title does Pat Conroy give himself after trouble starts with Mrs. Brown?
3. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
4. What do the boys wear to graduation?
5. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
3. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
4. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
5. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
6. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
7. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
8. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
9. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
10. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)