|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
2. Prior to the Washington D.C. trip, who announces she is pregnant?
3. How many straps does Mrs. Brown carry with her?
4. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
5. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
2. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
3. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
4. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
5. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
6. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
7. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
8. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
9. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
10. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)