|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls wear to graduation?
2. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
3. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
4. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
5. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
4. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
5. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
6. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
7. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
8. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
9. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 3
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)