|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
2. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
3. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
4. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
5. What book reminds Pat Conroy of his animal infestation in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
2. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
3. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
5. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
6. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
7. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
8. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
9. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
10. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)