|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
2. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
3. Yamacraw visitor Dick is from what city?
4. What helps relieve Pat Conroy's anger at his dismissal?
5. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
2. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
4. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
5. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
6. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
7. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
8. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
9. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)