|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
2. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
3. What book reminds Pat Conroy of his animal infestation in Chapter 8?
4. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
5. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
2. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
3. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
4. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
5. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
6. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
7. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
8. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
9. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
10. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)