|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
2. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
3. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
4. In Chapter 8, Zeke and Pat Conroy hit what on the river?
5. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
2. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
4. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
5. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
6. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
7. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
8. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
9. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
10. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)