|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Brown angry during the collage making in Chapter 7?
2. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
3. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
4. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
5. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
2. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
3. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
4. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
5. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
6. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
7. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
8. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
9. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
10. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)