|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
2. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
3. Pat Conroy challenges the troublemakers in class to what sport?
4. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
5. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
2. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
3. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
4. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
5. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
6. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
7. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
8. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
9. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
10. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
Essay Topic 3
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)