|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Saul go to the bathroom on a public street?
2. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
3. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
4. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
5. What happens to the mother of Oscar, Fred, and Prophet in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
5. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
6. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
7. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
8. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
9. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
10. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief essay analyzing the way some whites are willing to be taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide", simply to prove they are against racism.
1) Who are some of the whites taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide?"
2) Why do they allow this happen?
3) How does their behavior effect the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)