|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
2. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
3. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
Essay Topic 2
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)