|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
2. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
4. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
5. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
2. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
3. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
4. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
5. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
7. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
8. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
9. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
10. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)