|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
2. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
3. Who hangs the shocking pictures on the board in Chapter 7?
4. What do the boys wear to graduation?
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
2. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
3. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
4. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
6. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
7. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
8. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
9. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
10. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)