|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
2. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
3. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
4. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
5. Zeke jokes Pat Conroy should be careful of what, in the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
2. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
3. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
4. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
5. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
6. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
7. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
8. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
9. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
10. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)