|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
2. In the spring, what luxury is given to the school house?
3. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
4. Yamacraw visitor Dick is from what city?
5. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
2. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
3. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
4. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
5. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
6. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
7. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
9. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
10. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)