|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the Washington D.C. trip, who announces she is pregnant?
2. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
3. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
4. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
5. Who is the tallest basketball player at the Yamacraw school?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
Essay Topic 2
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)