|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
2. How high is the basketball basket on Yamacraw Island?
3. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
4. What do the boys wear to graduation?
5. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)