|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
2. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
3. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
4. What do the boys wear to graduation?
5. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
2. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
3. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
4. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
5. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
6. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
7. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
8. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
9. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)