|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy challenges the troublemakers in class to what sport?
2. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
3. In college, Pat Conroy was accused of having what kind of a nose?
4. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
5. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
2. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
3. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
4. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
5. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
6. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
7. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
8. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
9. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)