|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ted Stone accuse Steve McQueen of being?
2. In what city does Saul go to the bathroom on a public street?
3. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
4. When do Pat Conroy and Barbara get married?
5. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
2. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
3. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
4. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
5. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
6. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
7. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
9. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)