|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
2. Who close to Pat Conroy yells at Dr. Piedmont at a board meeting?
3. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
4. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
5. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
2. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
3. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
5. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
6. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
7. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
8. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
9. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
10. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
Essay Topic 3
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)