|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
2. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
3. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
4. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
5. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
5. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
6. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
8. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
9. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
10. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)