|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
2. Who is the king of Yamacraw Island?
3. Who shot Saul's dog?
4. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
5. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Physically describe Bennington.
2. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
3. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
4. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
5. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
6. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
8. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
9. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
10. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)