|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a "portrait of efficiency?"
2. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
3. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
4. What type of animal does Pat Conroy give his students?
5. Who shot Saul's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
3. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
4. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
5. Describe Yamacraw Island.
6. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
7. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
8. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
9. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
10. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)