|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Halloween trip gives the kids what impression of South Carolina?
2. What type of tubing does the island use in bootlegging?
3. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
4. At the end of September, where does Pat Conroy move?
5. What type of large snake does the island house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
2. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
3. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
4. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
5. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
6. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
7. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
8. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
9. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
10. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)