|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
2. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
3. Who suggests bringing the students to Beaufort to celebrate Halloween?
4. Where did the children compete for prizes during Halloween?
5. What prevents the group from returning to Yamacraw Island after Halloween?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
2. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
3. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
4. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
5. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
6. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
7. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
8. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
9. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
10. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)