|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
2. After Halloween, Mrs. Brown shames the class over what?
3. What first assignment does Pat Conroy give the class?
4. What does Pat Conroy feel for the Confederate flag?
5. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
2. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
3. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
4. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
5. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
6. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mrs. Brown object to singing into the tape recorder in the classroom?
8. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
9. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
10. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)