|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
2. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
3. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
4. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
5. What animal bites Pat Conroy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
2. What social action did Pat Conroy take after Martin Luther King was shot?
3. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
4. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
5. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
6. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
8. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
9. Physically describe Bennington.
10. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 3
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)