|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of large snake does the island house?
2. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
3. What object talks for Mrs. Graves when she gets mad?
4. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
5. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Physically describe Bennington.
3. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
4. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
5. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
6. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
7. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
8. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
9. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
10. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)