|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ted Stone's attitude when first meeting Pat Conroy?
2. How did the Halloween trip help Pat Conroy's standing on the island?
3. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
4. The Halloween trip gives the kids what impression of South Carolina?
5. What modern convenience does Yamacraw lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yamacraw Island.
2. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
3. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
4. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
5. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
6. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
7. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
8. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
9. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
10. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)