|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age group did Pat Conroy first teach?
2. What color is home protection in voodoo?
3. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
4. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
5. In Chapter One, Pat Conroy had not yet heard back from what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
2. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
3. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
4. Describe Yamacraw Island.
5. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
6. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
7. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
8. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
9. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
10. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)