|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first assignment does Pat Conroy give the class?
2. Who shot Saul's dog?
3. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
4. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
5. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
2. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
3. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
4. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
5. What social action did Pat Conroy take after Martin Luther King was shot?
6. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
7. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
8. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
9. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
10. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 2
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)