|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
2. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
3. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
4. How many books were donated to the Yamacraw community center?
5. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
2. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
4. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
5. Describe Yamacraw Island.
6. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
7. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
8. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
9. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
10. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)