Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible to commute to the island?
2. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
3. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
4. Who protests the showing of films to students?
5. Where does Pat Conroy request to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
2. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
4. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
7. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
8. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
9. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)