Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible to commute to the island?
2. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
3. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
4. Who protests the showing of films to students?
5. Where does Pat Conroy request to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
2. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
4. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
7. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
8. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
9. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)