|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cataloge is popular at the Yamacraw school?
2. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
3. What is Ted Stone's attitude when first meeting Pat Conroy?
4. What age group did Pat Conroy first teach?
5. What modern convenience does Yamacraw lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
2. Physically describe Bennington.
3. Describe Yamacraw Island.
4. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
5. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
6. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
7. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
8. What social action did Pat Conroy take after Martin Luther King was shot?
9. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
10. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)