|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a "portrait of efficiency?"
2. Bernie earned a Top Tiger award for selling what?
3. Beaufort friends warn Pat Conroy against befriending who?
4. Who tries to prevent the students from leaving Yamacraw Island for Halloween?
5. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
2. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
3. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
4. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
6. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
7. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
8. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
9. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
10. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)