Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible to commute to the island?
2. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
3. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
4. Who protests the showing of films to students?
5. Where does Pat Conroy request to teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
2. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
4. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
7. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
8. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
9. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)