|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
2. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
4. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
5. Who is the deputy superintendent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
2. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
3. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
4. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
5. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
6. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
7. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
8. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
9. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
10. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief essay analyzing the way some whites are willing to be taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide", simply to prove they are against racism.
1) Who are some of the whites taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide?"
2) Why do they allow this happen?
3) How does their behavior effect the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)