|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeke is concerned about the what in Yamacraw?
2. Who tries to prevent the students from leaving Yamacraw Island for Halloween?
3. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
4. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
5. Who suggested Pat Conroy change the direction of his teaching career?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
2. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
3. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
4. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
5. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
6. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
7. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
8. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
9. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
10. Physically describe Bennington.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Pat Conroy's teaching method on the island of Yamacraw.
1) In what way is he non-traditional?
2) What type of education does he offer?
3) How do the students respond to his teaching?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Halloween trip to South Carolina is a wonderful experience for the children of Yamacraw, Pat Conroy and his friends create a false reality of race relations for the children on their visit. Based on this, write a brief essay taking a stand that the Halloween experience is either good or bad for the children, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)