|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
2. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
3. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about sending the kids to Beaufort for Halloween?
4. Pat Conroy feels what, showing his music loving students to whites?
5. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
2. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
3. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
4. Describe Yamacraw Island.
5. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
6. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
7. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
8. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
9. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
10. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Pat Conroy's relationship with one of the following examples:
1. The school administration.
2. Mrs. Brown.
3. The people of Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)