|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown make Pat Conroy principal of the school?
2. What game does Pat Conroy let students play in class?
3. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
4. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
5. Who is the first classical artist Pat Conroy plays for his class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
2. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
4. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
7. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
8. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
9. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
10. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
Essay Topic 3
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)