|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown make Pat Conroy principal of the school?
2. Who in South Carolina sent the kids letters after their Halloween trip?
3. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
4. What saying hung in the classroom on Pat Conroy's visit?
5. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Physically describe Bennington.
2. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
3. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
4. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
5. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
6. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
8. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
9. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
10. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)