|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Halloween, Mrs. Brown shames the class over what?
2. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
3. Who is the deputy superintendent?
4. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
5. Pat Conroy threatens to do what to anyone who doesn't want to hear the national news?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
2. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
3. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
4. Describe Yamacraw Island.
5. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
6. Why does Mrs. Brown object to singing into the tape recorder in the classroom?
7. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
8. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
9. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
10. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)