|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books were donated to the Yamacraw community center?
2. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
3. How did the Halloween trip help Pat Conroy's standing on the island?
4. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
5. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
2. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
3. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
4. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
7. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
8. Physically describe Bennington.
9. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
10. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the final chapters of "The Water is Wide," examine the racism of those running the educational system in South Carolina.
Essay Topic 3
Create an argument for or against the following statement, citing examples from the text: Pat Conroy fails to set an example against racism on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)