|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
2. What does Pat Conroy feel for the Confederate flag?
3. What could interfere with Lou's mail delivery on the island?
4. Why does Mrs. Brown make Pat Conroy principal of the school?
5. After Halloween, Mrs. Brown shames the class over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown object to singing into the tape recorder in the classroom?
2. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
3. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
4. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
5. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
6. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
7. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
8. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
9. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
10. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief essay analyzing the way some whites are willing to be taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide", simply to prove they are against racism.
1) Who are some of the whites taken advantage of in "The Water is Wide?"
2) Why do they allow this happen?
3) How does their behavior effect the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prejudice the children on Yamacraw Island will have to face beyond just the color of their skin.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)