|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Zeke Skimberry from?
2. Who protests the showing of films to students?
3. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
4. What game does Pat Conroy let students play in class?
5. Who is the deputy superintendent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
2. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
3. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
4. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
5. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
6. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
7. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
8. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
9. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
10. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the hypocrisy of those who claim to be good religious folks in "The Water is Wide."
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pat Conroy's relationship with Zeke Skimberry.
1) Describe Zeke.
2) Analyze Zeke's appeal to Pat Conroy.
3) Analyze what both men gain from their friendship.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)