|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested Pat Conroy change the direction of his teaching career?
2. What does Pat Conroy feel for the Confederate flag?
3. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
4. What cataloge is popular at the Yamacraw school?
5. In Chapter One, Pat Conroy had not yet heard back from what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
2. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
3. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
4. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
5. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
6. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
7. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
8. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
9. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Pat Conroy is the teacher in "The Water is Wide," he has a lot to learn from his students. Write an essay analyzing what Pat Conroy is taught during his experience on Yamacraw Island.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: When Pat Conroy tries to keep the peace with Mrs. Brown at the school, he is doing the children a disservice.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)