|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
2. How many people left Yamacraw in the migration?
3. What kind of animal does Sam hurt in Chapter 5?
4. What saying hung in the classroom on Pat Conroy's visit?
5. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
2. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
3. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
4. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
5. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
6. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
7. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
8. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
9. Why does Mrs. Brown object to singing into the tape recorder in the classroom?
10. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create an argument for or against the intelligence of the children on Yamacraw Island, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text: Mrs. Brown abuses her power at the school on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)