|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the deputy superintendent?
2. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
3. Who had a "white school" built on the island?
4. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
5. How did the Halloween trip help Pat Conroy's standing on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
2. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
3. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
4. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
5. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
6. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
7. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
8. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
9. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
10. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pat Conroy's relationship with Zeke Skimberry.
1) Describe Zeke.
2) Analyze Zeke's appeal to Pat Conroy.
3) Analyze what both men gain from their friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay analyzing the acceptance of racism on Yamacraw Island.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)