|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cataloge is popular at the Yamacraw school?
2. What first assignment does Pat Conroy give the class?
3. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
4. What type of large snake does the island house?
5. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yamacraw Island.
2. Why does Mrs. Brown object to singing into the tape recorder in the classroom?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
4. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
5. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
6. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
7. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
8. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
9. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
10. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the idea of violence as a part of the culture on Yamacraw Island.
1) Why are the people violent?
2) Who are they violent towards?
3) How does this violence add to their oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pat Conroy's concern that the children of Yamacraw are not treated fairly by their country.
1) What opportunities do the children lack?
2) Who is willing to help them get ahead?
3) Why does their struggle for success seem hopeless?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)