|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to the board.
(b) All of these.
(c) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
(d) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
2. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
(a) He was jealous of them.
(b) He liked them.
(c) He was afraid of them.
(d) He despised them.
3. What do the girls wear to graduation?
(a) "Traditional white."
(b) "Green robes."
(c) "Red dresses."
(d) "Education brown."
4. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
5. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks what held him back from helping Yamacraw kids?
(b) His lack of interest.
(c) His ego.
(d) His financial situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
2. In the spring, what luxury is given to the school house?
3. Who close to Pat Conroy yells at Dr. Piedmont at a board meeting?
4. In what city does Saul go to the bathroom on a public street?
5. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
2. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
3. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
4. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
5. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
6. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
7. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
8. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
9. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
10. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)