|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
(b) Cuts his hair.
(c) Records the presentation.
(d) Writes notes.
2. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
(b) Ted Stone.
(c) Top Cat's father.
(d) Pat Conroy.
3. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
4. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
(a) Fund his housing on the island.
(b) Give scholarships to the children.
(c) Let him keep his job.
(d) Thank him for his service.
5. How long after Pat Conroy stops teaching does he write The Water is Wide?
(a) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
2. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
3. What happens in January that hasn't happened on Yamacraw Island since 1952?
4. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
5. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
2. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
3. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
4. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
5. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
6. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
7. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
9. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
10. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)