|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
(a) St. Patrick's Day.
(c) May Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
2. Zeke jokes Pat Conroy should be careful of what, in the cold?
(a) Freezing off his right arm.
(b) Getting sunburned.
(c) Catching smallpox.
(d) The polar bears.
3. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
(a) "Tolerant and forgiving."
(b) "Racist and angry."
(c) "Hatred and nationalism."
(d) "Humanity and goodness."
4. In the spring, what luxury is given to the school house?
(a) Running water.
(b) Flower planting.
(d) Air conditioning.
5. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
(b) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
(c) All of these.
(d) Talk to the board.
Short Answer Questions
1. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
2. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
3. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
4. What does Pat Conroy raise money for by working at the Desegregation Center?
5. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
2. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
3. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
5. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
6. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
7. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
8. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
9. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)