|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pat Conroy visits Mrs. Brown at home, she surprises him by doing what?
(a) Pointing a gun at him.
(b) Cooking him dinner.
(c) Kissing him.
(d) Crying with joy.
2. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
(a) Thank him for his service.
(b) Fund his housing on the island.
(c) Give scholarships to the children.
(d) Let him keep his job.
3. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
(a) An island family.
(b) Ted Stone.
(c) His family.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
4. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy realizes who wants acceptance from whites?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Pat Conroy.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
5. The islanders fear what, if Pat Conroy no longer teaches on the island?
(a) "The island will go down."
(b) "The boys will get violent."
(c) "He will turn to drinking."
(d) "The girls will have broken hearts."
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
2. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
3. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
4. In college, Pat Conroy was accused of having what kind of a nose?
5. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
2. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
3. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
4. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
5. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
6. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
7. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
8. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
9. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
10. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)