|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. Graves.
2. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
(b) Hypocritical administration.
(c) Religion in school.
(d) Global warming.
3. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
4. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
(a) Dr. Piedmont and Bennington.
(b) The kids on Yamacraw Island.
(c) Dr. Piedmont.
5. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to the board.
(b) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
(c) All of these.
(d) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy challenges the troublemakers in class to what sport?
2. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
3. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
4. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Brown affected by the power of being principal?
2. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
3. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
4. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
5. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
6. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
8. What does Pat Conroy hope for the children of Yamacraw Island?
9. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)