|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to the Washington D.C. trip, who announces she is pregnant?
(c) Cindy Lou.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
2. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
(a) "Pompous and stupid."
(b) "Sympathetic to the kids."
(c) "Evil incarnate."
(d) "Understandable figures."
3. What does Pat Conroy suggest the kids do when Mrs. Brown talks?
(a) Nod and smile.
(b) Agree with her.
(c) Ignore her.
(d) Applaud her.
4. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) He likes the risk.
(b) To show off.
(c) To prove it can be done.
(d) He loves the cold weather.
5. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
(a) He despised them.
(b) He liked them.
(c) He was jealous of them.
(d) He was afraid of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
2. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
3. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
4. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
5. What helps relieve Pat Conroy's anger at his dismissal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
5. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
6. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
7. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
8. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
9. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
10. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)