|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ted Stone accuse Steve McQueen of being?
(b) A Nazi.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) Too wealthy.
2. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It won't get him very far.
(c) It is polluting the waters.
(d) The county is paying for it.
3. When do Pat Conroy and Barbara get married?
4. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) To get back at the administration.
(b) Barbara makes him.
(c) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(d) For his students.
5. How high is the basketball basket on Yamacraw Island?
(a) 8 feet.
(b) 3 feet.
(c) 10 feet.
(d) 5 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
2. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
3. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
4. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
5. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
2. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
5. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
6. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
7. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
8. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
9. What is the reaction of the children to the domestic violence on the island?
10. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)