|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
2. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
(a) Religion in school.
(b) Hypocritical administration.
(d) Global warming.
3. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
(b) All of these.
(c) Talk to the board.
(d) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
4. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
(a) She sings an opera.
(b) A performance of literature.
(c) A recitation of the Bible.
(d) A dance routine.
5. Who is Pat Conroy's only friend in the administration?
(a) Mr. Miller.
(b) Mr. Bennington.
(c) Mr. Randel.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
2. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
3. Yamacraw visitor Dick is from what city?
4. In Chapter 8, the administration fights with Pat Conroy about what?
5. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
2. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
3. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
4. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
5. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
6. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
7. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
9. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
10. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)