|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
(a) It is polluting the waters.
(b) The county is paying for it.
(c) It won't get him very far.
(d) It is dangerous.
2. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) St. Patrick's Day.
(c) May Day.
3. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
(a) A gun.
(b) A scarf she made him.
(c) The name she called him.
(d) A beer.
4. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(a) 5 p.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
5. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
(a) His family.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) An island family.
(d) Ted Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy realizes who wants acceptance from whites?
2. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
3. Pat Conroy feels he is fighting against what at the school?
4. Jasper is confused by what, at the end of Chapter 10?
5. The islanders fear what, if Pat Conroy no longer teaches on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
3. What method of teaching does Pat Conroy claim to use to appease Mrs. Brown?
4. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
5. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
6. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
7. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
8. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
9. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
10. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)