|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
(a) A gun.
(b) A beer.
(c) The name she called him.
(d) A scarf she made him.
2. What makes Mrs. Brown angry during the collage making in Chapter 7?
(a) There was a mouse in the magazines.
(b) The kids ate glue.
(c) The kids were great artists.
(d) The kids used a naked photo.
3. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
(a) "Humanity and goodness."
(b) "Tolerant and forgiving."
(c) "Racist and angry."
(d) "Hatred and nationalism."
4. Who close to Pat Conroy yells at Dr. Piedmont at a board meeting?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
5. What does Pat Conroy try to prepare his students for in the real world?
(a) Viral infections.
(b) Raising a family.
(d) Leaving the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
2. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
3. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
4. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
2. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
3. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
4. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
6. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
7. Why were some people in Washington D.C. surprised by the children of Yamacraw Island?
8. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
9. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
10. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)