|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(a) 7 a.m.
(d) 5 p.m.
2. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
(b) Ping pong.
3. How old is the letter from Judy Hanst?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
4. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
5. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
(a) "Sympathetic to the kids."
(b) "Understandable figures."
(c) "Pompous and stupid."
(d) "Evil incarnate."
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
2. What happens to the mother of Oscar, Fred, and Prophet in Chapter 9?
3. What helps relieve Pat Conroy's anger at his dismissal?
4. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
5. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
2. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
3. What health risks does Pat Conroy endure while commuting during the winter?
4. How does Pat Conroy's popularity as a teacher affect Mrs. Brown?
5. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
6. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
7. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
8. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
9. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
10. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)