|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the tallest basketball player at the Yamacraw school?
(a) Top Cat.
2. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) He loves the cold weather.
(b) To show off.
(c) He likes the risk.
(d) To prove it can be done.
3. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
(a) A beer.
(b) The name she called him.
(c) A gun.
(d) A scarf she made him.
4. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
(a) "Racist and angry."
(b) "Tolerant and forgiving."
(c) "Hatred and nationalism."
(d) "Humanity and goodness."
5. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
(a) Lint head.
(b) Rash face.
(c) Bow legs.
(d) Rat tail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
2. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
3. What do the boys wear to graduation?
4. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
5. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown always mention she is part Cherokee Indian?
2. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
3. Why does Pat Conroy lose his job permanently?
4. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
5. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
6. Why are the scenes where the parents object to the children going to Washington D.C. familiar?
7. Why is domestic violence common on the island?
8. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
9. Why does Pat Conroy get fired at the beginning of Chapter 11?
10. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)