|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Zeke and Pat Conroy hit what on the river?
(a) A sandbar.
(b) A stranded ship.
(c) The coast guard.
2. Yamacraw visitor Dick is from what city?
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
3. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) For his students.
(b) Barbara makes him.
(c) To get back at the administration.
(d) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
4. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
5. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
(a) "Milking the rat."
(b) "Flying the scout."
(c) "Choking the cat."
(d) "Shooting the crow."
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
2. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
3. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
4. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
5. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people on Yamacraw Island drink?
2. How does Mrs. Brown feel about the blacks on Yamacraw Island?
3. Why is Mrs. Brown's reaction to Prophet hanging from the water tank in the bathroom shocking?
4. Why does Pat Conroy allow teachers from the mainland into his classroom?
5. What type of relationship does Mrs. Brown have with her students?
6. Why does Mrs. Brown carry a gun?
7. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
8. Why does Pat Conroy decide to commute to the island?
9. What does Pat Conroy talk about in front of the school board in Chapter 11?
10. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)