|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beaufort friends warn Pat Conroy against befriending who?
(a) Frank and Mary.
(b) Zeke Skimberry.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Lou and Ted.
2. Why are Jim and Joe banned from teaching on Yamacraw Island?
(a) Pat Conroy doesn't like them.
(b) Jim swears too much.
(c) Joe cannot read.
(d) They lack credentials.
3. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Miss Glover.
4. In Chapter One, Pat Conroy had not yet heard back from what organization?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Peace Corp.
(d) The FBI.
5. How many people left Yamacraw in the migration?
Short Answer Questions
1. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
2. What is Ted Stone's attitude when first meeting Pat Conroy?
3. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
4. Who is the deputy superintendent?
5. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Physically describe Bennington.
2. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
3. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
4. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
5. Who protests Pat Conroy's dismissal from his job?
6. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
7. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
8. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
9. By Chapter 11, why might the neighbors object to Pat Conroy and Barbara?
10. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)