|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the deputy superintendent?
(a) George Garbade.
(b) Dr. Piedmont.
(c) Ezra Bennington.
(d) Bernie Schien.
2. What food item from Yamacraw is famous?
3. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
(b) "Live and let live."
(c) "Life was good but it was hard".
(d) "Work hard and play hard."
4. What type of animal does Pat Conroy give his students?
5. What saying hung in the classroom on Pat Conroy's visit?
(a) Dream it and do it.
(b) Learn and all will follow.
(c) Education is the key to success.
(d) Just do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
2. What kind of animal does Sam hurt in Chapter 5?
3. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
4. Who protests the showing of films to students?
5. Pat Conroy threatens to do what to anyone who doesn't want to hear the national news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
2. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
3. What social action did Pat Conroy take after Martin Luther King was shot?
4. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
5. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
6. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
7. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
8. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
9. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
10. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)