|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shot Saul's dog?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Pat Conroy.
2. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
(b) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
3. The children are transported by what during the Halloween festivities?
(a) A trolley.
(b) A hot-air balloon.
(d) A bus.
4. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) "Work hard and play hard."
(b) "Live and let live."
(c) "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
(d) "Life was good but it was hard".
5. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
(a) Their long hair.
(b) Their support of the war.
(c) Their scientific abilities.
(d) Their lack of pretense.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
2. What does Pat Conroy feel for the Confederate flag?
3. What cataloge is popular at the Yamacraw school?
4. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
5. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
2. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
3. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
4. Describe Yamacraw Island.
5. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
6. What things go right on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
7. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
8. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
9. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
10. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)