|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which student is sensitive about being short?
(b) Cindy Lou.
(d) Top Cat.
2. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
(a) South Carolina.
(c) North Carolina.
3. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He likes Lou.
(b) He needs their help.
(c) He is frightened of them.
(d) He is secretly racist.
4. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
(a) They stopped believing in God.
(b) Zeke was tired of getting up early.
(c) Ida couldn't sing in the choir.
(d) The church refused black people.
5. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
(a) Mr. Stephens.
(c) Your highness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bernie Schein get shipped to?
2. What game does Pat Conroy let students play in class?
3. Why does the superintendent think Pat Conroy came to him?
4. The Halloween trip gives the kids what impression of South Carolina?
5. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
2. Describe Yamacraw Island.
3. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
4. What things go wrong on the Halloween trip to South Carolina?
5. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
6. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
7. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
8. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
9. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
10. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)