|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeke is concerned about the what in Yamacraw?
(d) Lack of the arts.
2. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
(a) Lack of vaccines.
(b) A factory's pollutants.
(c) A desire for education.
3. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
(c) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
4. How many people left Yamacraw in the migration?
5. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
(a) Their scientific abilities.
(b) Their long hair.
(c) Their lack of pretense.
(d) Their support of the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
2. What animal bites Pat Conroy in Chapter 5?
3. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
4. What type of large snake does the island house?
5. What kind of animal does Sam hurt in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Physically describe Bennington.
2. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
3. Describe Yamacraw Island.
4. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
5. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
6. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
7. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
8. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
9. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
10. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)