|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Miss Glover.
2. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
(a) Ida couldn't sing in the choir.
(b) They stopped believing in God.
(c) The church refused black people.
(d) Zeke was tired of getting up early.
3. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
(a) All the "poisoned apples."
(b) Eating "free candy."
(c) Dressing up in "ghost clothes."
(d) Dressing up as "a witch."
4. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
(a) He is "fat."
(b) He is "uneducated."
(c) He is a "fine lookin' man."
(d) He is a "conceited man."
5. What object talks for Mrs. Graves when she gets mad?
(a) "The Fist."
(b) "The Hammer."
(c) "The Hand."
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is home protection in voodoo?
2. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
3. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
4. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
5. Bernie earned a Top Tiger award for selling what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Piedmont treat Pat Conroy in his second year at Yamacraw Island and why?
2. Why does Pat Conroy want to get along with Mrs. Brown?
3. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
4. How does Pat Conroy pay for the trip to Washington D.C. and why?
5. What is Pat Conroy struggling with at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. In Chapter 8, why does the administration refuse to let Pat Conroy speak at the school board meeting?
7. Why is the administration concerned about Pat Conroy's gas bill for the boat?
8. What does Pat Conroy realize at the end of Chapter 8?
9. Why is Mrs. Brown against the kids taking a trip to Washington D.C.?
10. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)