|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
(a) Smashes it.
(b) Sings into it.
(c) Hides it.
(d) Runs from it.
2. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
3. The Halloween trip gives the kids what impression of South Carolina?
(a) Ghosts and goblins run free.
(b) Everyone loves black children.
(c) You can knock on any door and get candy.
(d) Mrs. Brown is a witch.
4. Who is the king of Yamacraw Island?
(a) Ted Stone.
(b) Jake Cross.
(c) Belle Blair.
(d) Sam Thomas.
5. What could interfere with Lou's mail delivery on the island?
(a) A broken mail truck.
(b) Her bad back.
(c) Dogs not tied up.
(d) Weather and her mood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the island witch doctor?
2. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
3. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
4. What first assignment does Pat Conroy give the class?
5. Who in South Carolina sent the kids letters after their Halloween trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
2. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
3. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
4. In Chapter 2, what does Mrs. Brown warn Pat Conroy now that he's "overseas?"
5. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
6. What does Bennington warn Pat Conroy of on his first expedition to the island?
7. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
8. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
9. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about the treatment of animals on the island?
10. How do the people on the island react to the two students from Cowell College?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)