|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Jim and Joe banned from teaching on Yamacraw Island?
(a) They lack credentials.
(b) Jim swears too much.
(c) Joe cannot read.
(d) Pat Conroy doesn't like them.
2. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
3. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
(a) He is "uneducated."
(b) He is a "fine lookin' man."
(c) He is "fat."
(d) He is a "conceited man."
4. Pat Conroy doubts Yamacraw knows of what?
(a) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) The Constitution.
(c) Gun control.
(d) The information highway.
5. Who protests the showing of films to students?
(a) Ethel Lee.
(b) Jimmy Sue.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Cindy Lou.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a "white school" built on the island?
2. What age group did Pat Conroy first teach?
3. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
4. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
5. What animal bites Pat Conroy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
2. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
3. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
4. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
5. Describe Yamacraw Island.
6. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
7. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
8. What revelation helps Pat Conroy realize the Stones are frighteningly racist?
9. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
10. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)