|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
(b) Excited greetings.
(c) Lukewarm attention.
(d) They are ignored.
2. What modern convenience does Yamacraw lack?
(b) Running water.
(d) Telephone service.
3. How many people left Yamacraw in the migration?
4. Bernie earned a Top Tiger award for selling what?
(b) Sewing machines.
5. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about sending the kids to Beaufort for Halloween?
(a) They get motion sick on the water.
(b) They do not have costumes.
(c) They do not celebrate Halloween.
(d) They might experience racism.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
2. Who had a "white school" built on the island?
3. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
4. How many books were donated to the Yamacraw community center?
5. Why does the superintendent think Pat Conroy came to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
2. Why does Pat Conroy express surprise upon learning that children of Yamacraw never celebrate Halloween?
3. Why did Ted Stone close his restaurant?
4. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
5. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
6. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
7. Physically describe Bennington.
8. How does Pat Conroy convince the parents of Yamacraw to send their children to South Carolina for Halloween?
9. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
10. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)