|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
(a) Miss Glover.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
2. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
(a) Mrs. Black.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. White.
(d) Mrs. Jacobsen.
3. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
(a) Essay writing.
(b) Pep rally.
4. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Ray Charles.
(d) James Brown.
5. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
(a) All of these.
(b) No motivation or materials.
(c) All black students.
(d) Teachers do not get along.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
2. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
3. Who had a "white school" built on the island?
4. What kind of animal does Sam hurt in Chapter 5?
5. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bennington say about his personal relationship with colored people?
2. What type of things have the students at Yamacraw school not been taught?
3. Why is the library in Yamacraw school ironic?
4. According to Piedmont, how has Jesus changed him?
5. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
6. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
7. Describe Yamacraw Island.
8. Why did Pat Conroy enjoy swearing as a teen?
9. What types of books have church groups provided for the public library in Yamacraw?
10. Why are the children of Yamacraw interested in the movie about the Salem Witch Trials?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)