|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
(b) North Carolina.
(c) South Carolina.
2. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
(a) Their scientific abilities.
(b) Their long hair.
(c) Their support of the war.
(d) Their lack of pretense.
3. How did the Halloween trip help Pat Conroy's standing on the island?
(a) It made him an outcast.
(b) It lost him friends.
(c) The women started to love him.
(d) It helped him assimilate.
4. Where does Pat Conroy request to teach?
(c) The Bronx.
(d) Yamacraw Island.
5. What game does Pat Conroy let students play in class?
(d) Play and Talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeke is concerned about the what in Yamacraw?
2. What type of large snake does the island house?
3. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
4. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
5. What does Pat Conroy watch for when boating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas anger the whites when he was young?
2. Why are the parents against Pat Conroy's idea to take the children off the island to celebrate Halloween?
3. How does Ted Stone feel about killing men while at war?
4. Although Mrs. Brown bans Joe and Jim from the school due to a lack of credentials, what is her real concern about their presence in the classroom?
5. Explain why the Yamacraw oyster trade fell apart.
6. For what purpose does Pat Conroy attempt to give the students a classical music education?
7. Describe Yamacraw Island.
8. What appeals to Pat Conroy about many of the people he meets in Chapter 4?
9. How does Pat Conroy spend his days after school?
10. What is significant to Pat Conroy about the abandoned home in Chapter 4?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)