|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) Barbara makes him.
(b) To get back at the administration.
(c) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(d) For his students.
2. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy realizes who wants acceptance from whites?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Dr. Piedmont.
(c) Pat Conroy.
3. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
(a) She claims to have visited the spirit world.
(b) Magic tricks.
(c) She lights a fire.
(d) She flies.
4. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Pat Conroy.
5. What title does Pat Conroy give himself after trouble starts with Mrs. Brown?
(a) Safety office.
(b) The terminator.
(c) Class officer.
(d) Assistant principal.
6. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
7. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(a) 5 p.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
8. Zeke jokes Pat Conroy should be careful of what, in the cold?
(a) Freezing off his right arm.
(b) Getting sunburned.
(c) The polar bears.
(d) Catching smallpox.
9. Who is Pat Conroy's only friend in the administration?
(a) Dr. Piedmont.
(b) Mr. Randel.
(c) Mr. Miller.
(d) Mr. Bennington.
10. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
11. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) To make more money.
(b) For Mrs. Brown to like him.
(c) To fix all his students.
(d) To get off the island.
12. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
(a) "Hatred and nationalism."
(b) "Racist and angry."
(c) "Tolerant and forgiving."
(d) "Humanity and goodness."
13. How high is the basketball basket on Yamacraw Island?
(a) 10 feet.
(b) 3 feet.
(c) 8 feet.
(d) 5 feet.
14. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
(a) Too long.
(b) Turning gray.
(d) Unflattering to his image.
15. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
2. Pat Conroy challenges the troublemakers in class to what sport?
3. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
4. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)