|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy realizes who wants acceptance from whites?
(a) Pat Conroy.
(b) Dr. Piedmont.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
2. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
(a) Mr. Bennington.
(b) Mr. Randel.
(c) Dr. Piedmont.
(d) Mr. Miller.
3. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(b) 5 p.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
4. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
(a) It is polluting the waters.
(b) It won't get him very far.
(c) The county is paying for it.
(d) It is dangerous.
5. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(b) For his students.
(c) Barbara makes him.
(d) To get back at the administration.
6. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
(a) Ping pong.
7. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
(a) Dr. Piedmont.
(b) All of these.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
8. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
9. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
(a) Dr. Piedmont and Bennington.
(b) The kids on Yamacraw Island.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
10. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Pat Conroy.
11. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) He likes the risk.
(b) He loves the cold weather.
(c) To show off.
(d) To prove it can be done.
12. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
(b) Pat Conroy's mother.
(c) The judge.
13. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
(a) "People stinkin' in this school."
(b) "Girls wearin' too much perfume."
(c) "Boys not wearing deoderant."
(d) "The cost of toothpaste."
14. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
15. What do the girls wear to graduation?
(a) "Red dresses."
(b) "Education brown."
(c) "Traditional white."
(d) "Green robes."
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Pat Conroy stops teaching does he write The Water is Wide?
2. Why did Uncle Charlie cut his cat's head off?
3. In Chapter 8, Zeke and Pat Conroy hit what on the river?
4. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
5. What does Pat Conroy try to prepare his students for in the real world?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)