|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(a) 5 p.m.
(c) 7 a.m.
2. Who is the first parent to give permission for the Washington D.C. trip?
(a) Carolina's father.
(b) Prophet's mother.
(c) Cindy Lou's mother.
(d) Top Cat's father.
3. What does Pat Conroy try to prepare his students for in the real world?
(a) Leaving the island.
(b) Viral infections.
(c) Raising a family.
4. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
(a) Records the presentation.
(c) Writes notes.
(d) Cuts his hair.
5. What news does Howard Sedgwick give Pat Conroy in Chapter 11?
(a) He is fired.
(b) His wife is pregnant.
(c) He gets a raise.
(d) The oysters are edible.
6. When Pat Conroy visits Mrs. Brown at home, she surprises him by doing what?
(a) Pointing a gun at him.
(b) Crying with joy.
(c) Kissing him.
(d) Cooking him dinner.
7. In Chapter 7, Mrs. Brown beats Prophet for doing what?
(b) Stealing lunch money.
(c) Hanging from the urinal.
(d) Spitting at the girls.
8. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
9. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
(a) Calling parents.
(b) Corporal punishment.
(c) Shouting at students.
(d) Essay writing.
10. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
11. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
(b) Global warming.
(c) Religion in school.
(d) Hypocritical administration.
12. What makes Mrs. Brown angry during the collage making in Chapter 7?
(a) There was a mouse in the magazines.
(b) The kids were great artists.
(c) The kids ate glue.
(d) The kids used a naked photo.
13. In the spring, what luxury is given to the school house?
(b) Flower planting.
(c) Air conditioning.
(d) Running water.
14. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
(c) Pat Conroy's mother.
(d) The judge.
15. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) Barbara makes him.
(b) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(c) To get back at the administration.
(d) For his students.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeke jokes Pat Conroy should be careful of what, in the cold?
2. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
3. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
4. In college, Pat Conroy was accused of having what kind of a nose?
5. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)