|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeke jokes Pat Conroy should be careful of what, in the cold?
(a) Catching smallpox.
(b) Freezing off his right arm.
(c) Getting sunburned.
(d) The polar bears.
2. In Chapter 8, Zeke and Pat Conroy hit what on the river?
(a) A stranded ship.
(b) A sandbar.
(d) The coast guard.
3. Why does Lincoln hog-tie his dog?
(a) To remove ticks.
(b) To tease him.
(c) To wash him.
(d) To shave him.
4. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
(a) Mr. Bennington.
(b) Mr. Miller.
(c) Dr. Piedmont.
(d) Mr. Randel.
5. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
(a) Resigns his position.
(b) Starts to walk out.
(c) Turns Mrs. Brown in for abuse.
(d) Accuses the administration of racism.
6. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
7. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
8. When do Pat Conroy and Barbara get married?
9. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
(a) "The Island Warrior."
(b) "The Bible."
(c) A flask.
(d) "The Family Man."
10. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
11. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
(c) Mrs. Graves.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
12. The islanders fear what, if Pat Conroy no longer teaches on the island?
(a) "The girls will have broken hearts."
(b) "He will turn to drinking."
(c) "The boys will get violent."
(d) "The island will go down."
13. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
14. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
15. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) To get back at the administration.
(b) For his students.
(c) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(d) Barbara makes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
2. How many straps does Mrs. Brown carry with her?
3. What happens in January that hasn't happened on Yamacraw Island since 1952?
4. What basketball team does Pat Conroy take the boys to see?
5. How did Pat Conroy feel about the kids on Yamacraw Island?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)