|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
(a) She claims to have visited the spirit world.
(b) She lights a fire.
(c) Magic tricks.
(d) She flies.
2. What does Pat Conroy suggest the kids do when Mrs. Brown talks?
(a) Ignore her.
(b) Nod and smile.
(c) Agree with her.
(d) Applaud her.
3. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) He likes the risk.
(b) He loves the cold weather.
(c) To prove it can be done.
(d) To show off.
4. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
(a) Bribing Mrs. Brown.
(b) Being late to class.
(c) Swearing at the students.
(d) Not using the text book.
5. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy sees what version of the South rising?
(a) "Humanity and goodness."
(b) "Tolerant and forgiving."
(c) "Racist and angry."
(d) "Hatred and nationalism."
6. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
7. How long after Pat Conroy stops teaching does he write The Water is Wide?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(d) Twenty years.
8. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
(b) May Day.
(c) Valentine's Day.
(d) St. Patrick's Day.
9. Pat Conroy feels he is fighting against what at the school?
(b) The weather.
(c) The moths.
10. What basketball team does Pat Conroy take the boys to see?
(a) The Globetrotters.
(b) The Lakers.
(c) The Bulls.
(d) The Pistons.
11. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(b) To get back at the administration.
(c) Barbara makes him.
(d) For his students.
12. The islanders fear what, if Pat Conroy no longer teaches on the island?
(a) "The island will go down."
(b) "He will turn to drinking."
(c) "The boys will get violent."
(d) "The girls will have broken hearts."
13. In college, Pat Conroy was accused of having what kind of a nose?
(a) Goblin nose.
(b) Pig nose.
(c) Hog nose.
(d) Witch nose.
14. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to the board.
(b) All of these.
(c) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
(d) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
15. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
(a) They think she's funny.
(b) They love her.
(c) They hate her.
(d) They respect her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the letter from Judy Hanst?
2. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
3. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
4. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
5. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)