|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lincoln hog-tie his dog?
(a) To remove ticks.
(b) To tease him.
(c) To wash him.
(d) To shave him.
2. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks what held him back from helping Yamacraw kids?
(a) His financial situation.
(b) His ego.
(d) His lack of interest.
3. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
(d) Ping pong.
4. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
(a) Her fearlessness.
(b) Her love for children.
(c) Her humor.
(d) Her intelligence.
5. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
6. Immediately following his dismissal, Pat Conroy believes Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are what?
(a) "Understandable figures."
(b) "Evil incarnate."
(c) "Pompous and stupid."
(d) "Sympathetic to the kids."
7. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
(a) Essay writing.
(b) Calling parents.
(c) Corporal punishment.
(d) Shouting at students.
8. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
(a) The White House.
(b) The zoo.
(c) A museum.
(d) The park.
9. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
(b) Dr. Piedmont and Bennington.
(c) The kids on Yamacraw Island.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
10. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
11. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
(a) Religion in school.
(b) Hypocritical administration.
(d) Global warming.
12. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
(a) They think she's funny.
(b) They respect her.
(c) They love her.
(d) They hate her.
13. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
(a) A gun.
(b) The name she called him.
(c) A beer.
(d) A scarf she made him.
14. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
(a) His family.
(b) An island family.
(c) Ted Stone.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
15. What do the boys wear to graduation?
(a) Blue jeans.
(c) Black suits.
(d) Dark blue suits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy raise money for by working at the Desegregation Center?
2. What do the girls wear to graduation?
3. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
4. Who is the first parent to give permission for the Washington D.C. trip?
5. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)