|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mrs. Brown angry during the collage making in Chapter 7?
(a) The kids were great artists.
(b) The kids used a naked photo.
(c) The kids ate glue.
(d) There was a mouse in the magazines.
2. What does Pat Conroy try to prepare his students for in the real world?
(a) Leaving the island.
(c) Raising a family.
(d) Viral infections.
3. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks Dr. Piedmont and Bennington are too affected by what?
4. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
(a) Starts to walk out.
(b) Accuses the administration of racism.
(c) Resigns his position.
(d) Turns Mrs. Brown in for abuse.
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
(a) All of these.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
6. Pat Conroy feels he is fighting against what at the school?
(b) The moths.
(c) The weather.
7. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
(a) Turning gray.
(c) Too long.
(d) Unflattering to his image.
8. Why does Lincoln hog-tie his dog?
(a) To shave him.
(b) To remove ticks.
(c) To tease him.
(d) To wash him.
9. In what city does Saul go to the bathroom on a public street?
(c) Myrtle Beach.
10. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her humor.
(c) Her fearlessness.
(d) Her love for children.
11. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
(a) Bribing Mrs. Brown.
(b) Swearing at the students.
(c) Not using the text book.
(d) Being late to class.
12. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
13. Jasper is confused by what, at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Lines on the road.
(b) The shape of his head.
(c) Why people like vegetables.
(d) Paying for a bus.
14. Why did Uncle Charlie cut his cat's head off?
(a) It was going blind.
(b) It ate a mouse.
(c) It ate a liver.
(d) It bit him.
15. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) Barbara makes him.
(b) For his students.
(c) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(d) To get back at the administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks what held him back from helping Yamacraw kids?
2. The islanders fear what, if Pat Conroy no longer teaches on the island?
3. What news does Howard Sedgwick give Pat Conroy in Chapter 11?
4. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
5. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)