|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
(a) She sings an opera.
(b) A dance routine.
(c) A performance of literature.
(d) A recitation of the Bible.
2. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
(a) Ping pong.
3. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) For Mrs. Brown to like him.
(b) To make more money.
(c) To get off the island.
(d) To fix all his students.
4. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
(a) "People stinkin' in this school."
(b) "The cost of toothpaste."
(c) "Girls wearin' too much perfume."
(d) "Boys not wearing deoderant."
5. What does Ted Stone accuse Steve McQueen of being?
(a) A womanizer.
(b) Too wealthy.
(c) A Nazi.
6. What does Pat Conroy try to prepare his students for in the real world?
(b) Raising a family.
(c) Viral infections.
(d) Leaving the island.
7. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks what held him back from helping Yamacraw kids?
(a) His financial situation.
(b) His lack of interest.
(c) His ego.
8. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
(a) Magic tricks.
(b) She flies.
(c) She lights a fire.
(d) She claims to have visited the spirit world.
9. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
10. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
(a) All of them.
11. When Pat Conroy visits Mrs. Brown at home, she surprises him by doing what?
(a) Cooking him dinner.
(b) Kissing him.
(c) Crying with joy.
(d) Pointing a gun at him.
12. How do the students feel about Mrs. Brown?
(a) They respect her.
(b) They hate her.
(c) They love her.
(d) They think she's funny.
13. Who is against taking the students to Washington D.C.?
(b) Pat Conroy.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
14. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(c) St. Patrick's Day.
(d) May Day.
15. What do the girls wear to graduation?
(a) "Red dresses."
(b) "Education brown."
(c) "Green robes."
(d) "Traditional white."
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Zeke and Pat Conroy hit what on the river?
2. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
3. In Chapter 12, who does Pat Conroy label "predictably mediocre?"
4. What do the boys wear to graduation?
5. Who is Pat Conroy's only friend in the administration?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)