|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pat Conroy challenges the troublemakers in class to what sport?
(d) Arm wrestling.
2. Why does Lincoln hog-tie his dog?
(a) To wash him.
(b) To tease him.
(c) To shave him.
(d) To remove ticks.
3. What does Pat Conroy raise money for by working at the Desegregation Center?
(a) A school trip to Atlanta.
(b) Coats and gloves.
(c) Food for the islanders.
(d) A new library.
4. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
(a) Give scholarships to the children.
(b) Let him keep his job.
(c) Fund his housing on the island.
(d) Thank him for his service.
5. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
(a) Accuses the administration of racism.
(b) Turns Mrs. Brown in for abuse.
(c) Resigns his position.
(d) Starts to walk out.
6. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
(a) She claims to have visited the spirit world.
(b) Magic tricks.
(c) She flies.
(d) She lights a fire.
7. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
(a) Bribing Mrs. Brown.
(b) Not using the text book.
(c) Swearing at the students.
(d) Being late to class.
8. In Chapter 10, Dr. Piedmont says his secret to success is what?
9. Jasper is confused by what, at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Why people like vegetables.
(b) Paying for a bus.
(c) Lines on the road.
(d) The shape of his head.
10. Why did Uncle Charlie cut his cat's head off?
(a) It was going blind.
(b) It ate a liver.
(c) It bit him.
(d) It ate a mouse.
11. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
(a) The judge.
(d) Pat Conroy's mother.
12. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
(a) How to ride a bike.
(d) How to swim.
13. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. Graves.
14. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) To prove it can be done.
(b) To show off.
(c) He likes the risk.
(d) He loves the cold weather.
15. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) All of these.
(d) Dr. Piedmont.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
2. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy realizes who wants acceptance from whites?
3. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
4. What book reminds Pat Conroy of his animal infestation in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)