|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carol Ann do to convince the students she is a witch?
(a) She claims to have visited the spirit world.
(b) She flies.
(c) She lights a fire.
(d) Magic tricks.
2. Who does Pat Conroy live with at the end of October?
(a) An island family.
(b) Ted Stone.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) His family.
3. What are the kids most excited about in Washington D.C.?
(a) The zoo.
(b) A museum.
(c) The White House.
(d) The park.
4. Why does Pat Conroy sometimes travel the river in bad weather?
(a) To show off.
(b) He likes the risk.
(c) He loves the cold weather.
(d) To prove it can be done.
5. Who does Pat Conroy appeal to for permission to travel to Washington D.C.?
(a) Dr. Piedmont.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(d) All of these.
6. When does graduation take place on Yamacraw Island?
7. In Chapter 9, who is hit in the back with a chair?
(a) Mrs. Graves.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
8. Pat Conroy feels what issue is changing the South during The Water is Wide?
(b) Hypocritical administration.
(c) Global warming.
(d) Religion in school.
9. After Pat Conroy's river rides, his feet would turn what color?
10. Who asks Dr. Piedmont what discipline is available for Pat Conroy other than dismissal ?
(a) Pat Conroy's mother.
(b) The judge.
11. What title does Pat Conroy give himself after trouble starts with Mrs. Brown?
(a) Safety office.
(b) The terminator.
(c) Assistant principal.
(d) Class officer.
12. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
(a) Her fearlessness.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her love for children.
(d) Her humor.
13. What do the girls wear to graduation?
(a) "Green robes."
(b) "Education brown."
(c) "Red dresses."
(d) "Traditional white."
14. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Barnwell tries to take what back from Pat Conroy?
(a) The name she called him.
(b) A gun.
(c) A scarf she made him.
(d) A beer.
15. What animal moves into Pat Conroy's house in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
2. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
3. Pat Conroy feels he is fighting against what at the school?
4. How long after Pat Conroy stops teaching does he write The Water is Wide?
5. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)