|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pat Conroy write The Water is Wide?
(a) To get back at the administration.
(b) To understand his time on Yamacraw Island.
(c) For his students.
(d) Barbara makes him.
2. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
3. What derogatory name was Dr. Piedmont called as a kid?
(a) Bow legs.
(b) Lint head.
(c) Rash face.
(d) Rat tail.
4. Pat Conroy believes he must learn to accept what, because it's everywhere?
(a) "Dirty politics."
5. Jasper is confused by what, at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Paying for a bus.
(b) The shape of his head.
(c) Why people like vegetables.
(d) Lines on the road.
6. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
(b) Turning gray.
(c) Unflattering to his image.
(d) Too long.
7. Prior to the Washington D.C. trip, who announces she is pregnant?
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Cindy Lou.
8. Why does Dr. Piedmont object to Pat Conroy's use of gas for the boat?
(a) It is polluting the waters.
(b) The county is paying for it.
(c) It won't get him very far.
(d) It is dangerous.
9. How high is the basketball basket on Yamacraw Island?
(a) 8 feet.
(b) 5 feet.
(c) 10 feet.
(d) 3 feet.
10. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
(a) Starts to walk out.
(b) Turns Mrs. Brown in for abuse.
(c) Resigns his position.
(d) Accuses the administration of racism.
11. In Chapter 12, Pat Conroy thinks what held him back from helping Yamacraw kids?
(a) His lack of interest.
(b) His ego.
(c) His financial situation.
12. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
(a) Parent intervention.
(b) Editorial columns.
(c) Angry letters.
(d) Angry phone calls.
13. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
(a) Essay writing.
(b) Shouting at students.
(c) Calling parents.
(d) Corporal punishment.
14. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(c) 5 p.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
15. Who is Pat Conroy's only friend in the administration?
(a) Mr. Randel.
(b) Mr. Miller.
(c) Dr. Piedmont.
(d) Mr. Bennington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy suggest the kids do when Mrs. Brown talks?
2. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
3. Who is the tallest basketball player at the Yamacraw school?
4. What basketball team does Pat Conroy take the boys to see?
5. How old is the letter from Judy Hanst?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)