|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Italian character sang as part of his lesson to the kids?
2. Barbara invites the girls to her house for what holiday?
(a) May Day.
(b) Valentine's Day.
(d) St. Patrick's Day.
3. In Chapter 8, the administration fights with Pat Conroy about what?
(a) His request for better supplies.
(b) The gasoline bill for the commuter boat.
(c) The test scores of the students.
(d) Assigning Mrs. Brown as principal.
4. Prior to the Washington D.C. trip, who announces she is pregnant?
(a) Cindy Lou.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
5. How long after Pat Conroy stops teaching does he write The Water is Wide?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) One year.
(d) Two years.
6. What does Carol Ann offer the students?
(a) She sings an opera.
(b) A recitation of the Bible.
(c) A performance of literature.
(d) A dance routine.
7. When Pat Conroy visits Mrs. Brown at home, she surprises him by doing what?
(a) Cooking him dinner.
(b) Pointing a gun at him.
(c) Crying with joy.
(d) Kissing him.
8. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
(a) Editorial columns.
(b) Angry letters.
(c) Parent intervention.
(d) Angry phone calls.
9. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
(a) Her humor.
(b) Her fearlessness.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her love for children.
10. What does Pat Conroy raise money for by working at the Desegregation Center?
(a) Coats and gloves.
(b) A school trip to Atlanta.
(c) Food for the islanders.
(d) A new library.
11. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
(c) How to ride a bike.
(d) How to swim.
12. What happens in January that hasn't happened on Yamacraw Island since 1952?
(a) The river floods the town.
(b) The fish start migrating.
(c) The oysters are edible.
(d) A bad cold spell.
13. In Chapter 11, what does the board meeting agree to do for Pat Conroy?
(a) Thank him for his service.
(b) Give scholarships to the children.
(c) Fund his housing on the island.
(d) Let him keep his job.
14. Who has the best rifle collection on the island?
(b) Pat Conroy.
(c) Top Cat's father.
(d) Ted Stone.
15. What does Pat Conroy do to try and keep his job?
(a) Talk to Dr. Piedmont.
(b) Talk to the board.
(c) Gets a petition signed by the islanders.
(d) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the island mothers plan to attend the board meeting to save Pat Conroy?
2. What title does Pat Conroy give himself after trouble starts with Mrs. Brown?
3. What does Ted Stone accuse Steve McQueen of being?
4. To get the school board to listen to him, Pat Conroy does what?
5. What do the students give Zeke at graduation?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)