|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does Saul go to the bathroom on a public street?
(c) Myrtle Beach.
2. What time of day does Pat Conroy enjoy on the river?
(a) 7 a.m.
(b) 5 p.m.
3. How many straps does Mrs. Brown carry with her?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Pat Conroy confront the school administration?
(a) Editorial columns.
(b) Angry letters.
(c) Parent intervention.
(d) Angry phone calls.
5. What does Mrs. Brown tell the children she's tired of after lecturing about hygiene?
(a) "The cost of toothpaste."
(b) "Girls wearin' too much perfume."
(c) "Boys not wearing deoderant."
(d) "People stinkin' in this school."
6. On the river, what natural element scares Pat Conroy?
7. By the end of Chapter 8, who has Pat Conroy alienated?
(a) Mr. Miller.
(b) Mr. Bennington.
(c) Dr. Piedmont.
(d) Mr. Randel.
8. What sport does Peter teach the kids of Yamacraw Island?
(a) Ping pong.
9. In Chapter 8, Pat Conroy does what at the meeting with Bennington?
(a) Accuses the administration of racism.
(b) Turns Mrs. Brown in for abuse.
(c) Starts to walk out.
(d) Resigns his position.
10. Pat Conroy wishes for what at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) To fix all his students.
(b) For Mrs. Brown to like him.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To get off the island.
11. What type of discipline does Pat Conroy disagree with?
(a) Calling parents.
(b) Shouting at students.
(c) Essay writing.
(d) Corporal punishment.
12. What does Pat Conroy like about Mrs. Brown?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her fearlessness.
(c) Her love for children.
(d) Her humor.
13. The judge rules the school board has "the power to fire any teacher considered" ______?
14. When Pat Conroy is first fired, Dr. Piedmont accuses him of what charge?
(a) Being late to class.
(b) Not using the text book.
(c) Swearing at the students.
(d) Bribing Mrs. Brown.
15. What does Ted Stone accuse Steve McQueen of being?
(a) A Nazi.
(c) Too wealthy.
(d) A womanizer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of physical control does Pat Conroy introduce in class?
2. What basketball team does Pat Conroy take the boys to see?
3. What does Pat Conroy want to teach kids during the summer?
4. What happens to the mother of Oscar, Fred, and Prophet in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 11, Dr. Piedmont complains Pat Conroy's hair is what?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)