|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
(a) Ray Charles.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) James Brown.
(d) Elvis Presley.
2. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
3. The Halloween trip gives the kids what impression of South Carolina?
(a) Mrs. Brown is a witch.
(b) Everyone loves black children.
(c) Ghosts and goblins run free.
(d) You can knock on any door and get candy.
4. Pat Conroy is required to get permission to leave school during recess from who?
(a) His wife.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The superintendent.
(d) The president.
5. Which student is sensitive about being short?
(b) Top Cat.
(d) Cindy Lou.
6. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
(a) All black students.
(b) No motivation or materials.
(c) All of these.
(d) Teachers do not get along.
7. Who suggests bringing the students to Beaufort to celebrate Halloween?
(a) Pat Conroy.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
8. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
(a) Eating "free candy."
(b) Dressing up in "ghost clothes."
(c) Dressing up as "a witch."
(d) All the "poisoned apples."
9. Where does Bernie Schein get shipped to?
10. Where is Zeke Skimberry from?
11. What could interfere with Lou's mail delivery on the island?
(a) Dogs not tied up.
(b) Her bad back.
(c) Weather and her mood.
(d) A broken mail truck.
12. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
13. Who in South Carolina sent the kids letters after their Halloween trip?
(a) All of these.
(d) Host families.
14. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
(a) Mrs. Jacobsen.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. White.
(d) Mrs. Black.
15. Who is described as a "portrait of efficiency?"
(a) Ted Stone.
(b) Lou Stone.
(c) Miss Glover.
(d) Andy Pappas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
2. Pat Conroy feels what, showing his music loving students to whites?
3. What age group did Pat Conroy first teach?
4. What type of large snake does the island house?
5. What is Ted Stone's attitude when first meeting Pat Conroy?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)