|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
(a) Lenny Burn Stine.
(b) Young Len.
(c) Lenny Side Burns.
(d) Old Shy-Koski.
2. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
(c) Pep rally.
(d) Essay writing.
3. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
(a) No motivation or materials.
(b) Teachers do not get along.
(c) All of these.
(d) All black students.
4. Why does Mrs. Brown make Pat Conroy principal of the school?
(a) He wants to be principal.
(b) He is white.
(c) He has the training.
(d) She has a crush on him.
5. What does Pat Conroy like to do after school?
6. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
7. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
(a) Excited greetings.
(b) Lukewarm attention.
(d) They are ignored.
8. Where does Pat Conroy sleep his first night in Yamacraw?
(a) In a bed.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In a hammock.
(d) Under the stars.
9. At the end of September, where does Pat Conroy move?
(a) The Buckner house.
(b) The Mainland.
(c) Ida's house.
(d) The school house.
10. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
(a) Runs from it.
(b) Hides it.
(c) Smashes it.
(d) Sings into it.
11. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
(a) He is "fat."
(b) He is "uneducated."
(c) He is a "conceited man."
(d) He is a "fine lookin' man."
12. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
(a) His laptop.
(b) An automatic movie projector.
(c) A VCR.
(d) Television DVR recordings.
13. Pat Conroy doubts Yamacraw knows of what?
(a) The Constitution.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(c) The information highway.
(d) Gun control.
14. Who shot Saul's dog?
(b) Pat Conroy.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
15. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He likes Lou.
(b) He is frightened of them.
(c) He is secretly racist.
(d) He needs their help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy feels what, showing his music loving students to whites?
2. In Chapter One, Pat Conroy had not yet heard back from what organization?
3. What does Pat Conroy watch for when boating?
4. Which student is sensitive about being short?
5. What pet name does Mrs. Brown give kids in her class?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)