|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
(a) No motivation or materials.
(b) Teachers do not get along.
(c) All of these.
(d) All black students.
2. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
(d) James Brown.
3. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
4. Who suggests bringing the students to Beaufort to celebrate Halloween?
(a) Pat Conroy.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
5. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
(a) Old Shy-Koski.
(b) Young Len.
(c) Lenny Burn Stine.
(d) Lenny Side Burns.
6. What type of tubing does the island use in bootlegging?
7. What is Ted Stone's attitude when first meeting Pat Conroy?
(a) Aloof and distant.
(d) Warm and friendly.
8. Pat Conroy is required to get permission to leave school during recess from who?
(a) The superintendent.
(b) The president.
(c) His wife.
(d) The mayor.
9. Who confronted Pat Conroy on the day Martin Luther was buried?
(a) The administration.
(b) His wife.
(c) Lureen Wallace.
(d) Lily Smalls.
10. What type of large snake does the island house?
(b) Boa constrictor.
(d) Diamondback rattlesnake.
11. Where does Bernie Schein get shipped to?
12. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
(a) Sings into it.
(b) Smashes it.
(c) Runs from it.
(d) Hides it.
13. What saying hung in the classroom on Pat Conroy's visit?
(a) Dream it and do it.
(b) Education is the key to success.
(c) Learn and all will follow.
(d) Just do it.
14. What could interfere with Lou's mail delivery on the island?
(a) A broken mail truck.
(b) Her bad back.
(c) Weather and her mood.
(d) Dogs not tied up.
15. What modern convenience does Yamacraw lack?
(a) Telephone service.
(d) Running water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Saul's dog?
2. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
3. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
4. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
5. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)