|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat Conroy watch for when boating?
(a) High tide.
(c) Sandbars and oyster banks.
(d) Natural wildlife.
2. What animal bites Pat Conroy in Chapter 5?
(a) A snake.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rabbit.
3. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
4. Zeke is concerned about the what in Yamacraw?
(d) Lack of the arts.
5. Where did the children compete for prizes during Halloween?
(a) At school carnival booths.
(b) From the local lottery.
(c) At an apple bobbing contest.
(d) The newspaper contest.
6. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
7. Pat Conroy is required to get permission to leave school during recess from who?
(a) His wife.
(b) The president.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The superintendent.
8. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
(a) A VCR.
(b) His laptop.
(c) An automatic movie projector.
(d) Television DVR recordings.
9. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He is secretly racist.
(b) He is frightened of them.
(c) He needs their help.
(d) He likes Lou.
10. Who tries to prevent the students from leaving Yamacraw Island for Halloween?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) All of these.
(c) The children.
(d) The childrens' parents.
11. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
(b) Pep rally.
(c) Essay writing.
12. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
(a) Lenny Burn Stine.
(b) Young Len.
(c) Old Shy-Koski.
(d) Lenny Side Burns.
13. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) "Life was good but it was hard".
(b) "Work hard and play hard."
(c) "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
(d) "Live and let live."
14. What cataloge is popular at the Yamacraw school?
(b) Outdoor Gear.
(c) Hunting and Fishing Guide.
(d) Sears Roebuck.
15. What prevents the group from returning to Yamacraw Island after Halloween?
(a) An injured student.
(b) They arrive in Yamacraw as scheduled.
(c) The weather.
(d) A missing student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Brown make Pat Conroy principal of the school?
2. The children are transported by what during the Halloween festivities?
3. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
4. What food item from Yamacraw is famous?
5. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)