|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique style of teaching does Pat Conroy use to share information with his class?
(a) Essay writing.
(b) Pep rally.
2. What modern convenience does Yamacraw lack?
(b) Running water.
(c) Telephone service.
3. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
(a) Lukewarm attention.
(b) Excited greetings.
(d) They are ignored.
4. What first assignment does Pat Conroy give the class?
(a) Draw him.
(b) Spell their names.
(c) Draw their family.
(d) Sing the alphabet.
5. Bernie earned a Top Tiger award for selling what?
(c) Sewing machines.
6. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
7. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He is secretly racist.
(b) He likes Lou.
(c) He needs their help.
(d) He is frightened of them.
8. Beaufort friends warn Pat Conroy against befriending who?
(a) Zeke Skimberry.
(b) Frank and Mary.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Lou and Ted.
9. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Runs from it.
(c) Sings into it.
(d) Smashes it.
10. Who suggested Pat Conroy change the direction of his teaching career?
(a) Bernie Schein.
(b) George Garbade.
(c) Jason Keener.
(d) Mike Jones.
11. Who in South Carolina sent the kids letters after their Halloween trip?
(a) Host families.
(b) All of these.
12. What is Pat Conroy's philosophy at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) "Work hard and play hard."
(b) "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
(c) "Live and let live."
(d) "Life was good but it was hard".
13. What color is home protection in voodoo?
14. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
(b) A factory's pollutants.
(c) A desire for education.
(d) Lack of vaccines.
15. Why are Jim and Joe banned from teaching on Yamacraw Island?
(a) They lack credentials.
(b) Joe cannot read.
(c) Pat Conroy doesn't like them.
(d) Jim swears too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pat Conroy feels what, showing his music loving students to whites?
2. Who is the first classical artist Pat Conroy plays for his class?
3. Who is the deputy superintendent?
4. Who is described as a "portrait of efficiency?"
5. Who is the king of Yamacraw Island?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)