|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
(c) Miss Glover.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
2. Zeke is concerned about the what in Yamacraw?
(a) Lack of the arts.
3. Pat Conroy threatens to do what to anyone who doesn't want to hear the national news?
(a) Applaud them.
(b) Flunk them out.
(c) Give them an A+.
(d) Break their arm.
4. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Mrs. Black.
(c) Mrs. White.
(d) Mrs. Jacobsen.
5. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
6. In what usual way does Prophet address Pat Conroy?
(a) Mr. Stephens.
(c) Your highness.
7. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
(b) They are ignored.
(c) Lukewarm attention.
(d) Excited greetings.
8. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
(a) All the "poisoned apples."
(b) Dressing up in "ghost clothes."
(c) Dressing up as "a witch."
(d) Eating "free candy."
9. What type of tubing does the island use in bootlegging?
10. During the time period of The Water is Wide, Brazil produced the most what for the world?
11. Who suggests bringing the students to Beaufort to celebrate Halloween?
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Pat Conroy.
12. Who suggested Pat Conroy change the direction of his teaching career?
(a) Mike Jones.
(b) Jason Keener.
(c) George Garbade.
(d) Bernie Schein.
13. What do the kids call Leonard Bernstein?
(a) Lenny Burn Stine.
(b) Young Len.
(c) Lenny Side Burns.
(d) Old Shy-Koski.
14. What does Pat Conroy watch for when boating?
(a) Natural wildlife.
(b) High tide.
(d) Sandbars and oyster banks.
15. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first classical artist Pat Conroy plays for his class?
2. Why is it impossible to commute to the island?
3. What caused migration away from Yamacraw?
4. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
5. What does Mrs. Graves say about Pat Conroy?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)