|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He likes Lou.
(b) He needs their help.
(c) He is secretly racist.
(d) He is frightened of them.
2. What type of program do Jim and Joe set up after school?
3. Pat Conroy threatens to do what to anyone who doesn't want to hear the national news?
(a) Give them an A+.
(b) Flunk them out.
(c) Applaud them.
(d) Break their arm.
4. Who confronted Pat Conroy on the day Martin Luther was buried?
(a) Lureen Wallace.
(b) Lily Smalls.
(c) The administration.
(d) His wife.
5. In Chapter One, what is the situation at Yamacraw school?
(a) All black students.
(b) Teachers do not get along.
(c) All of these.
(d) No motivation or materials.
6. Who suggested Pat Conroy change the direction of his teaching career?
(a) Mike Jones.
(b) Jason Keener.
(c) Bernie Schein.
(d) George Garbade.
7. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
(a) James Brown.
8. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
(a) The church refused black people.
(b) Zeke was tired of getting up early.
(c) They stopped believing in God.
(d) Ida couldn't sing in the choir.
9. What does Top Cat do with the tape recorder?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Sings into it.
(c) Smashes it.
(d) Runs from it.
10. The students thought the word Conroy was what?
11. Who gets injured during the Halloween festivities?
(a) Top Cat.
(b) Cindy Lou.
(c) Pat Conroy.
12. Pat Conroy feels what, showing his music loving students to whites?
(a) "Sadistic greed."
(c) "Satanic pleasure."
(d) "Melancholy disbelief."
13. Who is the first classical artist Pat Conroy plays for his class?
14. To Pat Conroy, what makes the Skimberry's interesting people?
(a) Their scientific abilities.
(b) Their lack of pretense.
(c) Their long hair.
(d) Their support of the war.
15. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about sending the kids to Beaufort for Halloween?
(a) They do not celebrate Halloween.
(b) They might experience racism.
(c) They get motion sick on the water.
(d) They do not have costumes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Saul's dog?
2. What type of tubing does the island use in bootlegging?
3. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
4. Bernie earned a Top Tiger award for selling what?
5. What could interfere with Lou's mail delivery on the island?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)