|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
(a) Ray Charles.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) James Brown.
(d) Frank Sinatra.
2. Where did Pat Conroy visit Dr. Henry Piedmont?
(a) Charlotte, North Carolina.
(b) Athens, Georgia.
(c) Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
(d) Beaufort, South Carolina.
3. Who is described as a "portrait of efficiency?"
(a) Miss Glover.
(b) Lou Stone.
(c) Andy Pappas.
(d) Ted Stone.
4. What sport goes violently wrong when Pat Conroy tries to teach it?
5. What type of the welcome do the students receive in South Carolina?
(a) Lukewarm attention.
(c) Excited greetings.
(d) They are ignored.
6. Where does Bernie Schein get shipped to?
7. What type of large snake does the island house?
(b) Boa constrictor.
(d) Diamondback rattlesnake.
8. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
9. Why is Pat Conroy nice to Ted and Lou, in spite of their racism?
(a) He is secretly racist.
(b) He is frightened of them.
(c) He likes Lou.
(d) He needs their help.
10. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
(a) The Little Engine that Could.
(b) Tommy the Telephone.
(c) Goodnight Moon.
(d) Gone with the Wind.
11. Why are Jim and Joe banned from teaching on Yamacraw Island?
(a) Pat Conroy doesn't like them.
(b) They lack credentials.
(c) Joe cannot read.
(d) Jim swears too much.
12. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
13. What does Pat Conroy like to do after school?
14. Who is the "first decent teacher" the deputy superintendent hired?
(a) Mrs. White.
(b) Mrs. Jacobsen.
(c) Mrs. Black.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
15. How did the Halloween trip help Pat Conroy's standing on the island?
(a) It lost him friends.
(b) It helped him assimilate.
(c) The women started to love him.
(d) It made him an outcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age group did Pat Conroy first teach?
2. What does Pat Conroy watch for when boating?
3. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
4. Why did Zeke and Ida stop attending the Baptist church?
5. What type of animal does Pat Conroy give his students?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)