|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a "poetess of profanity?"
(c) Miss Glover.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
2. What saying hung in the classroom on Pat Conroy's visit?
(a) Just do it.
(b) Education is the key to success.
(c) Learn and all will follow.
(d) Dream it and do it.
3. What type of insect tortures Pat Conroy on Yamacraw?
4. Why is Pat Conroy concerned about sending the kids to Beaufort for Halloween?
(a) They do not celebrate Halloween.
(b) They get motion sick on the water.
(c) They might experience racism.
(d) They do not have costumes.
5. Pat Conroy hangs a poster of which classical artist on the classroom wall?
(a) James Brown.
6. Which popular singer do the students in Yamacraw love?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) Ray Charles.
(c) James Brown.
(d) Elvis Presley.
7. Who is the deputy superintendent?
(a) Dr. Piedmont.
(b) George Garbade.
(c) Bernie Schien.
(d) Ezra Bennington.
8. Who is the island witch doctor?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Mr. Bennington.
(c) Miss Glover.
(d) Lou Stone.
9. What ends Pat Conroy's desire to swim at Yamacraw?
10. Cindy Lou protests what about Halloween?
(a) Dressing up in "ghost clothes."
(b) Eating "free candy."
(c) Dressing up as "a witch."
(d) All the "poisoned apples."
11. In Chapter 5, where are the two island newcomers from?
(b) South Carolina.
(c) North Carolina.
12. What book is Cindy Lou's favorite?
(a) Tommy the Telephone.
(b) Gone with the Wind.
(c) Goodnight Moon.
(d) The Little Engine that Could.
13. Who in South Carolina sent the kids letters after their Halloween trip?
(c) All of these.
(d) Host families.
14. Who had a "white school" built on the island?
(a) The blacks.
(b) Pat Conroy.
(c) The whites.
(d) Lou and Ted.
15. Pat Conroy lost his job coaching basketball over what suspicion?
(a) Dislike for "the coloreds."
(b) Favor for "the coloreds."
(c) Poor coaching ability.
(d) He couldn't shoot a basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of equipment does Pat Conroy use to show the class movies?
2. Pat Conroy doubts Yamacraw knows of what?
3. Pat Conroy is required to get permission to leave school during recess from who?
4. Who shot Saul's dog?
5. Why does the superintendent think Pat Conroy came to him?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)