Essay Topic 1
Create a personality portrait of Pat Conroy.
1) What does he look like physically?
2) What is his history?
2) What does he plan to accomplish at Yamacraw?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationships between whites and blacks during the time period of "The Water is Wide."
1) What time period is it and what is happening politically in the United States?
2) How do whites feel about blacks?
3) How do blacks feel about whites?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the island of Yamacraw.
1) What does it look like physically?
2) What is the mentality of those who live there?
3) What does it offer, and what does it lack?
Essay Topic 4
Create a detailed portrait of the educational opportunities offered to the blacks on Yamacraw island.
1) What is the state of education?
2) What public resources are available, and are they ironic?
3) How can the residents of Yamacraw put into practice the education they receive?
Essay Topic 5
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)