Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapters 1 and 2 Abstract
* Pat Conroy asks Dr. Piedmont for permission to teach on Yamacraw Island.
* Dr. Piedmont is thrilled Pat Conroy has volunteered and gives him the assignment.
* The history of Yamacraw Island is revealed.
* Yamacraw Island is underprivileged, has no resources, and is literally disconnected from society.
* Pat Conroy remembers and regrets his racist behavior...
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)