* Pat Conroy asks Dr. Piedmont for permission to teach on Yamacraw Island.
* Dr. Piedmont is thrilled Pat Conroy has volunteered and gives him the assignment.
* The history of Yamacraw Island is revealed.
* Yamacraw Island is underprivileged, has no resources, and is literally disconnected from society.
* Pat Conroy remembers and regrets his racist behavior as a teen.
* Pat remembers his high school friendships and their discussions about Vietnam, society, and life.
* When touring the concentration camps in Germany, Pat Conroy realizes the price of racism.
* Pat Conroy becomes a teacher at a primarily white school.
* Dr. Martin Luther King is murdered and the black students are devastated and angry.
* Pat Conroy makes the decision to do something to fight against racism.
* After trying to start a black history class, Pat Conroy is dismissed as a basketball coach due to accused favoritism of the blacks.
* Pat Conroy begins...
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)