|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks up the fight?
2. What has Uncle Al failed to buy for his new workers?
3. Who performs with Rosie?
4. What does Jacob use to pay for the doctor?
5. How does learning Rosie's language help August?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
2. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
3. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
4. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
5. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
6. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
7. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
8. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
9. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
10. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August after Rosie's first successful show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage and infidelity. August believes Marlena is unfaithful. How does this belief change the way August treats his wife? Why? Who does August believe Marlena is having an affair with? Is she? What defines infidelity? Under your definition Jacob and Marlena having an affair? Explain your answer using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss setting. What is the setting of this novel? How does the setting of this novel directly affect the actions and behaviors of the characters? What is most significant about the setting in this novel? Why do you think the author chose this setting for her novel? Would the novel's plot work if the setting had been different, such as set in the future or the more immediate past? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss August. Who is August? What kind of person is August? What does August do to cause Jacob to fear him? What does Jacob learn about August that helps him understand August's odd behavior? What does August do to Rosie? How does Rosie respond?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)