|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Jacob to their tent?
2. What does Uncle Al want Rosie to do during the show?
3. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
4. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
5. Who becomes drunk at the party in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
2. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
3. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
4. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
5. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
6. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
7. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
8. Why did Marlena marry August?
9. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
10. What is stolen several days in a row?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is jake? Why does Camel drink jake rather than good alcohol? How does the setting of the novel affect Camel's decision to drink jake? What is the ultimate result of Camel's decision to drink jake? Is this ailment Camel's fault as the doctor appears to believe? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jacob decide to join the circus as a young man? Why does Jacob again choose to join the circus as an old man? What does Jacob, both young and old, hope to achieve by joining the circus? What does the circus mean to Jacob? Is joining the circus as an old man only about nostalgia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)