|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
2. Whose safety is Jacob concerned about?
3. What does August want Jacob to tell him?
4. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
5. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August after Rosie's first successful show?
2. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
3. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
4. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
5. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
6. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
7. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
8. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
9. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
10. What is stolen several days in a row?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)