|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Uncle Al failed to buy for his new workers?
2. What does Uncle Al want Rosie to do during the show?
3. What does Jacob do that causes Marlena to leave him alone in an alley?
4. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
5. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
2. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
3. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
4. What is stolen several days in a row?
5. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August after Rosie's first successful show?
6. Why is the train raided in Poughkeepsie?
7. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
8. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
9. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
10. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jacob's family. How does the death of Jacob's parents influence his decision to join the circus as a young man? How does the fact that his son forgot it was his day to visit influence Jacob into joining the circus the second time? What does Jacob's choice say about his state of mind? What do these choices say about Jacob's feelings toward his family, both as a young man and an old man?
Essay Topic 2
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)