|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Al reveal about August to Jacob?
2. Which animal is the most popular that day in the menagerie tent?
3. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August?
4. Whose safety is Jacob concerned about?
5. What has Uncle Al failed to buy for his new workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
2. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
3. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
4. What happens when Rosie is forced to participate in the Grand Spec before she is prepared?
5. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
6. Why did Marlena marry August?
7. What is stolen several days in a row?
8. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
9. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
10. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jacob not talk about his time with the circus when he is old and living in the assisted-living center? Is Jacob ashamed of his past? What is Jacob attempting to hide? Why does Jacob finally tell his story to a stranger, but a stranger who lives with a circus? What is it about the man's job that makes Jacob trust him? What does this say about the culture of the traveling circus?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)