|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is caught stealing lemonade?
2. Which animal is the most popular that day in the menagerie tent?
3. Who becomes drunk at the party in Chapter 10?
4. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
5. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
2. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
3. Why did Marlena marry August?
4. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
5. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
6. What is stolen several days in a row?
7. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
8. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
9. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
10. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jacob's education. What is Jacob studying in school? Why does Jacob not finish his degree? How close is Jacob to being finished? Why does Jacob choose not to finish? How does Jacob's education help him get a job with the circus?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Prohibition. What is Prohibition? Why was it enacted? How does it affect the common man? How does pPohibition play a role in this novel? Who is directly affected by Prohibition? Who is indirectly affected? Why do you think the author chose to set her novel during prohibition? How would the novel be different if the author had set the story in a different era? Whose life would have been different? Why?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)