|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does young Jacob take Marlena the morning after their fights with August?
2. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
3. Why do Jacob and Marlena decide not to run away?
4. What is redlighted?
5. Who takes Jacob to their tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
2. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
3. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
4. Why did Marlena marry August?
5. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
6. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
7. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
8. What is stolen several days in a row?
9. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
10. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August after Rosie's first successful show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Uncle Al. Why does Uncle Al want an elephant? How does an elephant elevate the status of the circus? Why does Uncle Al refuse to pay his workers? Why do the workers not leave? Why does Uncle Al want Marlena and August to stay together? Why does Uncle Al force Jacob to promise to bring Marlena and August back together? What does Uncle Al threaten to do if Jacob does not help bring Marlena and August back together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss August. Who is August? What kind of person is August? What does August do to cause Jacob to fear him? What does Jacob learn about August that helps him understand August's odd behavior? What does August do to Rosie? How does Rosie respond?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)