|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
2. How does learning Rosie's language help August?
3. Who does Jacob attempt to kill?
4. Why does Marlena refuse to leave with Jacob immediately?
5. What does Uncle Al want Rosie to do during the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
2. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
3. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
4. Why is the train raided in Poughkeepsie?
5. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
6. What happens when Rosie is forced to participate in the Grand Spec before she is prepared?
7. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
8. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
9. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
10. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marlena. Who is Marlena? Why is Marlena with the circus? Why did Marlena marry August? Does Marlena love August? Why or why not? How does Marlena feel about Jacob? How does she show this? Why does Marlena choose Jacob over August? What does Marlena hope to get from Jacob?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jacob's family. How does the death of Jacob's parents influence his decision to join the circus as a young man? How does the fact that his son forgot it was his day to visit influence Jacob into joining the circus the second time? What does Jacob's choice say about his state of mind? What do these choices say about Jacob's feelings toward his family, both as a young man and an old man?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)