|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who performs with Rosie?
2. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
3. What injury had Jacob suffered?
4. Why did Marlena marry August?
5. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
2. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
3. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
4. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
5. Why is the train raided in Poughkeepsie?
6. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
7. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
8. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
9. What happens when Rosie is forced to participate in the Grand Spec before she is prepared?
10. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Rosie? Why is Rosie important to the plot? Why does it take so long for people to figure out that Rosie speaks Polish? Why does Rosie speak Polish? How does learning this change the way Rosie is treated? How does August treat Rosie? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss independence as a theme of the novel. What is independence? How does Jacob feel his independence has been taken from him? Is Jacob right in thinking this? Should a man Jacob's age have more independence or less? Why? Should Jacob be allowed to care for himself and make his own choices? If not, who should have this responsibility? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)