|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob do while in this tent?
2. What does Rosie do when she sees the exit to the menagerie tent from the big top?
3. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
4. How does Uncle Al use this death to increase ticket sales?
5. Who does Jacob attempt to kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
2. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
3. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
4. Why did Marlena marry August?
5. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
6. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
7. What happens when Rosie is forced to participate in the Grand Spec before she is prepared?
8. Why is the train raided in Poughkeepsie?
9. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
10. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jacob's education. What is Jacob studying in school? Why does Jacob not finish his degree? How close is Jacob to being finished? Why does Jacob choose not to finish? How does Jacob's education help him get a job with the circus?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss independence as a theme of the novel. What is independence? How does Jacob feel his independence has been taken from him? Is Jacob right in thinking this? Should a man Jacob's age have more independence or less? Why? Should Jacob be allowed to care for himself and make his own choices? If not, who should have this responsibility? Why?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)