|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compromise does August come up with for Rosie?
2. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
3. What does Uncle Al want Jacob to do?
4. What does a nurse refuse to bring elderly Jacob in Chapter 13?
5. Who dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the train raided in Poughkeepsie?
2. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
3. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
4. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August after Rosie's first successful show?
5. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
6. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
7. Why did Marlena marry August?
8. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
9. What is stolen several days in a row?
10. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What causes the stampede at the end of the novel? Is the stampede begun intentionally? How does Uncle Al die? Did this happen because of the stampede? Why is no one ever punished for Uncle Al's death? How are the stampede and the deaths of Uncle Al and August an example of circus life? Are these good examples? Would these deaths have occurred in another job or situation? Explain your answer.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)