|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob discover when he returns to his room?
2. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
3. What does a nurse refuse to bring elderly Jacob in Chapter 13?
4. What does Uncle Al want Jacob to do?
5. Why does Jacob agree to sit at his old table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
2. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
3. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
4. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
5. What does Uncle Al use to increase ticket sales?
6. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to keep August from Marlena?
7. Why are Camel and Walter thrown from the train?
8. What does Uncle Al want young Jacob to do in the aftermath of Marlena's choice to leave August?
9. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
10. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. What is the setting of this novel? How does the setting of this novel directly affect the actions and behaviors of the characters? What is most significant about the setting in this novel? Why do you think the author chose this setting for her novel? Would the novel's plot work if the setting had been different, such as set in the future or the more immediate past? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jacob not talk about his time with the circus when he is old and living in the assisted-living center? Is Jacob ashamed of his past? What is Jacob attempting to hide? Why does Jacob finally tell his story to a stranger, but a stranger who lives with a circus? What is it about the man's job that makes Jacob trust him? What does this say about the culture of the traveling circus?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rosie? Why is Rosie important to the plot? Why does it take so long for people to figure out that Rosie speaks Polish? Why does Rosie speak Polish? How does learning this change the way Rosie is treated? How does August treat Rosie? Why?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)