Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob lament about his current circumstances?
2. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
3. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
4. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
5. What song does Jacob hear being played as the stampede begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
2. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
3. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
4. What does Jacob conclude about Marlena's horse?
5. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
6. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
7. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
8. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
9. What does Jacob witness when he goes in search of Marlena?
10. Who does Jacob see commit the murder mentioned in the prologue?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Uncle Al. Why does Uncle Al want an elephant? How does an elephant elevate the status of the circus? Why does Uncle Al refuse to pay his workers? Why do the workers not leave? Why does Uncle Al want Marlena and August to stay together? Why does Uncle Al force Jacob to promise to bring Marlena and August back together? What does Uncle Al threaten to do if Jacob does not help bring Marlena and August back together?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)