|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new resident say that upsets Jacob?
2. Why is class interrupted?
3. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
4. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
5. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marlena angry with August the following day?
2. Why does August not have time to secure food for the animals?
3. How many children does Jacob have?
4. For how long has Jacob kept this secret?
5. What treat does Rosemary sneak onto Jacob's breakfast tray?
6. What ruins Jacob's one joy in the center?
7. What does Jacob conclude about Marlena's horse?
8. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
9. What attacks Jacob later that night?
10. What is a cooch show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss August. Who is August? What kind of person is August? What does August do to cause Jacob to fear him? What does Jacob learn about August that helps him understand August's odd behavior? What does August do to Rosie? How does Rosie respond?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacob decide to join the circus as a young man? Why does Jacob again choose to join the circus as an old man? What does Jacob, both young and old, hope to achieve by joining the circus? What does the circus mean to Jacob? Is joining the circus as an old man only about nostalgia? Why or why not?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)