|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
2. What holds the attention of many of the assisted-living center's residents in Chapter 5?
3. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
4. Which relatives does Jacob normally know?
5. Who does Camel attempt to speak to on Jacob's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jacob's roommate? What is the source of tension between these two?
2. Who does Jacob meet the next morning on the circus train?
3. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
4. What is a cooch show?
5. What news does Jacob receive in the days before his final exams?
6. Where does Jacob go after walking out on his final exams?
7. What is Jacob's one joy in the center?
8. Why does Jacob not wish to sit at his regular table at mealtime?
9. Why is Marlena angry with August the following day?
10. What animal does Jacob notice missing from the circus' group of exotic animals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Uncle Al. Why does Uncle Al want an elephant? How does an elephant elevate the status of the circus? Why does Uncle Al refuse to pay his workers? Why do the workers not leave? Why does Uncle Al want Marlena and August to stay together? Why does Uncle Al force Jacob to promise to bring Marlena and August back together? What does Uncle Al threaten to do if Jacob does not help bring Marlena and August back together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)