|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Jacob come to live at the assisted-living center?
2. Who is Jacob, the character introduced in the prologue?
3. What does Jacob see for the first time during the cooch show?
4. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
5. What does Rosemary help Jacob do next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
2. What does Jacob witness when he goes in search of Marlena?
3. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
4. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
5. What purchase has Uncle Al made from the bankrupted circus that causes him a great deal of excitement?
6. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
7. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
8. For how long has Jacob kept this secret?
9. Why does Jacob not wish to sit at his regular table at mealtime?
10. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss independence as a theme of the novel. What is independence? How does Jacob feel his independence has been taken from him? Is Jacob right in thinking this? Should a man Jacob's age have more independence or less? Why? Should Jacob be allowed to care for himself and make his own choices? If not, who should have this responsibility? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)