|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
2. What is the menagerie tent?
3. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
4. Why is class interrupted?
5. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
2. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
3. Why did Marlena marry August?
4. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
5. What have Jacob's parents left to him?
6. For how long has Jacob kept this secret?
7. Who does Jacob see commit the murder mentioned in the prologue?
8. What is jake? Why does Camel drink it?
9. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
10. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacob not talk about his time with the circus when he is old and living in the assisted-living center? Is Jacob ashamed of his past? What is Jacob attempting to hide? Why does Jacob finally tell his story to a stranger, but a stranger who lives with a circus? What is it about the man's job that makes Jacob trust him? What does this say about the culture of the traveling circus?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacob decide to join the circus as a young man? Why does Jacob again choose to join the circus as an old man? What does Jacob, both young and old, hope to achieve by joining the circus? What does the circus mean to Jacob? Is joining the circus as an old man only about nostalgia? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,833 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)