|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jacob go when he hears the music change?
2. What punishment does August give Jacob?
3. Where does Jacob find Marlena?
4. What makes Jacob upset with Uncle Al in Chapter 9?
5. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Jacob and Marlena escape the club?
2. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
3. What does Jacob use to pay the doctor?
4. What is the significance of Stars and Stripes Forever in the circus?
5. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
6. What is rumored to be wrong with the elephant?
7. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
8. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
9. Why did Marlena marry August?
10. How does August react to Marlena's surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Rosie? Why is Rosie important to the plot? Why does it take so long for people to figure out that Rosie speaks Polish? Why does Rosie speak Polish? How does learning this change the way Rosie is treated? How does August treat Rosie? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)