|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jacob's new roommate have?
2. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob after his outburst at dinner?
3. Why has Jacob come to live at the assisted-living center?
4. Who interrupts the class?
5. What has changed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
2. What have Jacob's parents left to him?
3. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
4. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
5. Why does Jacob not wish to sit at his regular table at mealtime?
6. Why does Jacob lose his appetite?
7. Who does Jacob meet the next morning on the circus train?
8. What ruins Jacob's one joy in the center?
9. With whom does Jacob have dinner the following night?
10. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss independence as a theme of the novel. What is independence? How does Jacob feel his independence has been taken from him? Is Jacob right in thinking this? Should a man Jacob's age have more independence or less? Why? Should Jacob be allowed to care for himself and make his own choices? If not, who should have this responsibility? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)