Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob lament about his current circumstances?
2. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
3. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
4. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
5. What song does Jacob hear being played as the stampede begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
2. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
3. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
4. What does Jacob conclude about Marlena's horse?
5. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
6. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
7. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
8. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
9. What does Jacob witness when he goes in search of Marlena?
10. Who does Jacob see commit the murder mentioned in the prologue?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacob not talk about his time with the circus when he is old and living in the assisted-living center? Is Jacob ashamed of his past? What is Jacob attempting to hide? Why does Jacob finally tell his story to a stranger, but a stranger who lives with a circus? What is it about the man's job that makes Jacob trust him? What does this say about the culture of the traveling circus?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jacob's education. What is Jacob studying in school? Why does Jacob not finish his degree? How close is Jacob to being finished? Why does Jacob choose not to finish? How does Jacob's education help him get a job with the circus?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacob decide to join the circus as a young man? Why does Jacob again choose to join the circus as an old man? What does Jacob, both young and old, hope to achieve by joining the circus? What does the circus mean to Jacob? Is joining the circus as an old man only about nostalgia? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)