|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob lament about his current circumstances?
2. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
3. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
4. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
5. What song does Jacob hear being played as the stampede begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jacob has too much to drink?
2. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
3. What does elderly Jacob learn about Rosemary that upsets him?
4. What does Jacob conclude about Marlena's horse?
5. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
6. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
7. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
8. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
9. What does Jacob witness when he goes in search of Marlena?
10. Who does Jacob see commit the murder mentioned in the prologue?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kinko? Why does Kinko dislike Jacob in the beginning? Why is Kinko so distrusting of people? How does Kinko's stature affect his attitude toward the world in general? Toward Jacob in particular? What changes Kinko's opinion of Jacob? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. What is the setting of this novel? How does the setting of this novel directly affect the actions and behaviors of the characters? What is most significant about the setting in this novel? Why do you think the author chose this setting for her novel? Would the novel's plot work if the setting had been different, such as set in the future or the more immediate past? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,811 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)