|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
2. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
3. What is the menagerie tent?
4. What draws Jacob to the window?
5. Where is Jacob at the beginning of his circus memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
2. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
3. For how long has Jacob kept this secret?
4. What attacks Jacob later that night?
5. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
6. Who is Jacob's roommate? What is the source of tension between these two?
7. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
8. What is the significance of Stars and Stripes Forever in the circus?
9. What is a cooch show?
10. What is Jacob studying in school? What are his plans after he gets his degree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marlena. Who is Marlena? Why is Marlena with the circus? Why did Marlena marry August? Does Marlena love August? Why or why not? How does Marlena feel about Jacob? How does she show this? Why does Marlena choose Jacob over August? What does Marlena hope to get from Jacob?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jacob's family. How does the death of Jacob's parents influence his decision to join the circus as a young man? How does the fact that his son forgot it was his day to visit influence Jacob into joining the circus the second time? What does Jacob's choice say about his state of mind? What do these choices say about Jacob's feelings toward his family, both as a young man and an old man?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)