|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jacob ill in Chapter 7?
2. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
3. Who is Uncle Al?
4. What has changed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
5. What is the menagerie tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camel promise Jacob?
2. What news does Jacob receive in the days before his final exams?
3. What is Jacob studying in school? What are his plans after he gets his degree?
4. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
5. How does August react to Marlena's injuries?
6. Why does August not have time to secure food for the animals?
7. What treat does Rosemary sneak onto Jacob's breakfast tray?
8. What is Jacob's one joy in the center?
9. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
10. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Prohibition. What is Prohibition? Why was it enacted? How does it affect the common man? How does pPohibition play a role in this novel? Who is directly affected by Prohibition? Who is indirectly affected? Why do you think the author chose to set her novel during prohibition? How would the novel be different if the author had set the story in a different era? Whose life would have been different? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jacob's family. How does the death of Jacob's parents influence his decision to join the circus as a young man? How does the fact that his son forgot it was his day to visit influence Jacob into joining the circus the second time? What does Jacob's choice say about his state of mind? What do these choices say about Jacob's feelings toward his family, both as a young man and an old man?
Essay Topic 3
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)