|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the sick horse Jacob is to examine in Chapter 6?
2. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
3. What does the barker do to reward Jacob?
4. What makes Jacob ill in Chapter 7?
5. Who joins Jacob and his friends at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jacob studying in school? What are his plans after he gets his degree?
2. What is the emergency that causes the band to play Stars and Stripes Forever?
3. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
4. What news does Jacob receive in the days before his final exams?
5. What is Jacob's one joy in the center?
6. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
7. What is a cooch show?
8. What is the significance of Stars and Stripes Forever in the circus?
9. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
10. How many children does Jacob have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss young Jacob. Why does Jacob jump the circus train? Did Jacob know it was a circus train? Was Jacob looking for a job with the circus? What is Jacob looking for at the circus? Does he find it? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)