|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob lament about his current circumstances?
2. What animal appears to be missing from the circus?
3. Why does elderly Jacob become annoyed when Rosemary wakes him?
4. How many children does Jacob have?
5. Where does Jacob meet up with Marlena the next morning in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jacob receive in the days before his final exams?
2. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
3. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
4. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
5. What is jake? Why does Camel drink it?
6. What does Camel promise Jacob?
7. What is the emergency that causes the band to play Stars and Stripes Forever?
8. Why does Jacob lose his appetite?
9. What does Jacob see outside the center's window?
10. What purchase has Uncle Al made from the bankrupted circus that causes him a great deal of excitement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage and infidelity. August believes Marlena is unfaithful. How does this belief change the way August treats his wife? Why? Who does August believe Marlena is having an affair with? Is she? What defines infidelity? Under your definition Jacob and Marlena having an affair? Explain your answer using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jacob decide to join the circus as a young man? Why does Jacob again choose to join the circus as an old man? What does Jacob, both young and old, hope to achieve by joining the circus? What does the circus mean to Jacob? Is joining the circus as an old man only about nostalgia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)