|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the class?
2. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
3. What does Jacob see someone do to August at the end of the prologue?
4. Why is Jacob in the assisted-living center?
5. Who is to be Jacob's roommate in his new sleeping quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. For how long has Jacob kept this secret?
2. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
3. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
4. Why does August not have time to secure food for the animals?
5. What is the emergency that causes the band to play Stars and Stripes Forever?
6. What is jake? Why does Camel drink it?
7. What does Jacob see outside the center's window?
8. What ruins Jacob's one joy in the center?
9. Who does Jacob meet the next morning on the circus train?
10. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacob not talk about his time with the circus when he is old and living in the assisted-living center? Is Jacob ashamed of his past? What is Jacob attempting to hide? Why does Jacob finally tell his story to a stranger, but a stranger who lives with a circus? What is it about the man's job that makes Jacob trust him? What does this say about the culture of the traveling circus?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Prohibition. What is Prohibition? Why was it enacted? How does it affect the common man? How does pPohibition play a role in this novel? Who is directly affected by Prohibition? Who is indirectly affected? Why do you think the author chose to set her novel during prohibition? How would the novel be different if the author had set the story in a different era? Whose life would have been different? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. What is the setting of this novel? How does the setting of this novel directly affect the actions and behaviors of the characters? What is most significant about the setting in this novel? Why do you think the author chose this setting for her novel? Would the novel's plot work if the setting had been different, such as set in the future or the more immediate past? Why or why not?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)