|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Camel, the man Jacob meets on the train?
2. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
3. Who reluctantly helps Jacob with Marlena's horse?
4. What job does Jacob's new roommate have?
5. What punishment does August give Jacob?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camel promise Jacob?
2. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
3. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
4. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
5. What attacks Jacob later that night?
6. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob?
7. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
8. Why is Marlena angry with August the following day?
9. What is jake? Why does Camel drink it?
10. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss August. Who is August? What kind of person is August? What does August do to cause Jacob to fear him? What does Jacob learn about August that helps him understand August's odd behavior? What does August do to Rosie? How does Rosie respond?
Essay Topic 2
What is redlighted? How is someone redlighted? Why does Uncle Al redlight his workers? Why does Uncle Al not simply fire these people? Is redlighting legal? Could this happen in modern times? Are Camel and Walter redlighted? Why? What does Jacob eventually learn happened to them? Why does Jacob not go back to look for them?
Essay Topic 3
What is jake? Why does Camel drink jake rather than good alcohol? How does the setting of the novel affect Camel's decision to drink jake? What is the ultimate result of Camel's decision to drink jake? Is this ailment Camel's fault as the doctor appears to believe? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)