|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jacob's one pleasure at the assisted-living center?
2. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
3. Which relatives does Jacob normally know?
4. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
5. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
2. Where is Jacob living in his old age?
3. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
4. What does elderly Jacob spend his day doing?
5. What attacks Jacob later that night?
6. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob?
7. What does Uncle Al think of Jacob when he interviews him?
8. Why does August not have time to secure food for the animals?
9. Why does Jacob become angry with Rosemary, one of his nurses at the assisted-living center?
10. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is jake? Why does Camel drink jake rather than good alcohol? How does the setting of the novel affect Camel's decision to drink jake? What is the ultimate result of Camel's decision to drink jake? Is this ailment Camel's fault as the doctor appears to believe? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of greed. Why is greed a theme in this novel? What characters are influenced by greed? How do the actions of these characters affect the main characters? How would this novel have progressed differently if greed were not a theme? Would the novel change drastically without the greed of certain characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rosie? Why is Rosie important to the plot? Why does it take so long for people to figure out that Rosie speaks Polish? Why does Rosie speak Polish? How does learning this change the way Rosie is treated? How does August treat Rosie? Why?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)