|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
2. What does Uncle Al tell Jacob about the possibility of a job with the circus?
3. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
4. Who does Camel attempt to speak to on Jacob's behalf?
5. What is the menagerie tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
2. How many children does Jacob have?
3. What treat does Rosemary sneak onto Jacob's breakfast tray?
4. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
5. Who is Jacob's roommate? What is the source of tension between these two?
6. What animal does Jacob notice missing from the circus' group of exotic animals?
7. What attacks Jacob later that night?
8. What is the emergency that causes the band to play Stars and Stripes Forever?
9. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
10. What ruins Jacob's one joy in the center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage and infidelity. August believes Marlena is unfaithful. How does this belief change the way August treats his wife? Why? Who does August believe Marlena is having an affair with? Is she? What defines infidelity? Under your definition Jacob and Marlena having an affair? Explain your answer using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What causes the stampede at the end of the novel? Is the stampede begun intentionally? How does Uncle Al die? Did this happen because of the stampede? Why is no one ever punished for Uncle Al's death? How are the stampede and the deaths of Uncle Al and August an example of circus life? Are these good examples? Would these deaths have occurred in another job or situation? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marlena. Who is Marlena? Why is Marlena with the circus? Why did Marlena marry August? Does Marlena love August? Why or why not? How does Marlena feel about Jacob? How does she show this? Why does Marlena choose Jacob over August? What does Marlena hope to get from Jacob?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)