|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
2. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
3. Why does elderly Jacob become annoyed when Rosemary wakes him?
4. Where does Jacob find Marlena?
5. Why can Jacob not change his clothes the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Jacob have dinner the following night?
2. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
3. Where does Jacob go after walking out on his final exams?
4. Why does Jacob not wish to sit at his regular table at mealtime?
5. What ruins Jacob's one joy in the center?
6. What is Jacob's one joy in the center?
7. What is Jacob studying in school? What are his plans after he gets his degree?
8. What does elderly Jacob spend his day doing?
9. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
10. What does Marlena ask Jacob about her horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss setting. What is the setting of this novel? How does the setting of this novel directly affect the actions and behaviors of the characters? What is most significant about the setting in this novel? Why do you think the author chose this setting for her novel? Would the novel's plot work if the setting had been different, such as set in the future or the more immediate past? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jacob, the elderly man? Why is Jacob living in the assisted-living center? What does Jacob feel the center has taken from him? Why does Jacob resist the help of the nurses? Why does Jacob dislike the new resident, the lawyer who claims to have brought water to elephants as a young man? Why does Jacob not believe this man's claims? How would Jacob know?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death of Jacob's parents. How does this death affect Jacob? What does Jacob's parents leave their son after their deaths? How do the deaths of his parents leave Jacob's future plans irrevocably changed? Why does Jacob react to these deaths by boarding a circus train?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)