|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Camel attempt to speak to on Jacob's behalf?
(d) Uncle Al
2. What does the barker do to reward Jacob?
(a) Gives him money.
(b) Gives him a promise of a permanant job.
(c) Gives him a security job on the cooch show.
(d) Gives him a promise of future aid.
3. What does Jacob promise to do for Marlena in Chapter 7?
(a) Help her leave August.
(b) Protect her from Uncle Al and August.
(c) Put her horse out of its misery.
(d) To love her always.
4. Why is Jacob in the assisted-living center?
(a) He is old.
(b) He has no family to care for him.
(c) He wants to be near people his own age.
(d) He broke his hip and needs extra help while he recovers.
5. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
(a) August does not have time to procure food for the animals.
(b) August must train a new animal quickly.
(c) August is going to lose half his staff.
(d) August is forced to give up some of his animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob help the barker?
2. Who wakes elderly Jacob in Chapter 5?
3. Why does August become annoyed with Marlena over lunch in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Camel drink jake?
5. Who is Marlena, the woman Jacob is looking for in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes ill, forcing Jacob to examine him?
2. What animal does Jacob notice missing from the circus' group of exotic animals?
3. What happens when Jacob goes into Chicago with August and Marlena?
4. What does Jacob agree to do for Marlena?
5. Why did Marlena marry August?
6. What does Jacob decide to do with the rest of his life at the end of the novel?
7. How many children does Jacob have?
8. What is jake? Why does Camel drink it?
9. What warning does Jacob receive that something might happen during the show that night?
10. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)