|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
(a) A city that is selling new train cars.
(b) A prime location for a performance.
(c) A bankrupt circus whose belongings are being auctioned by the city.
(d) A city that is selling zoo animals.
2. What person in Jacob's life has recently died?
(a) His child.
(b) His wife.
(c) His doctor.
(d) His long time friend.
3. Why does August become annoyed with Marlena over lunch in Chapter 9?
(a) Marlena refuses to make changes to her performances that August has recommended.
(b) Marlena ignores August's attempts at reconciliation.
(c) Marlena flirts openly with Jacob.
(d) Marlena feeds one of the displaced workers.
4. Who owns the sick horse Jacob is to examine in Chapter 6?
(a) Marlena, August's wife and the beautiful woman Jacob saw the day before.
(b) August, the animal manager.
(c) Camel and Kinko the Clown.
(d) Uncle Al and the circus.
5. Why is class interrupted?
(a) One of the students made a rude remark.
(b) There is a problem with the final exam.
(c) A student let a mouse go in class.
(d) There is a message for Jacob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob take a train home?
2. Who is Marlena, the woman Jacob is looking for in the prologue?
3. How many children does Jacob have?
4. Who is to be Jacob's roommate in his new sleeping quarters?
5. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camel promise Jacob?
2. Who comes to Jacob's defense? Why?
3. What does Jacob see outside the center's window?
4. What is Jacob's one joy in the center?
5. What job does Jacob take on the first morning when the train stops?
6. Who is Jacob's roommate? What is the source of tension between these two?
7. What is the significance of Stars and Stripes Forever in the circus?
8. How does Jacob get a job working security for the cooch show that night?
9. Why does Jacob not wish to sit at his regular table at mealtime?
10. Why does Jacob lose his appetite?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)