|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the train raided in Poughkepsie?
(a) To recover stolen money and property.
(b) To rid it of illegal alcohol.
(c) To search for illegal aliens.
(d) To rid it of illegal drugs.
2. Who breaks up the fight?
(a) A couple of workmen.
3. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
4. Where does young Jacob take Marlena the morning after their fights with August?
(a) To the police.
(b) To Uncle Al.
(c) To her mother's house.
(d) To a motel.
5. Who does Jacob and Walter decide to approach about caring for Camel?
(a) Camel's cousin.
(b) Camel's ex-wife.
(c) Camel's estranged son.
(d) Camel's daughter.
6. Who performs with Rosie?
7. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the first?
(a) His great-granddaughter does not want to go to the circus.
(b) His grandson decides he does not have time to visit.
(c) His wife is unable to visit.
(d) His son forgets it is his day to visit.
8. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
(c) Uncle Al.
9. How do Marlena and Jacob get separated from August?
(a) The police raid the nightclub.
(b) They go to different seminar classes.
(c) They get lost on the way to the church.
(d) The restaurant is so crowded, the lose eachother in the crowd.
10. What does August want Jacob to tell him?
(a) That he will quit the circus.
(b) What Uncle Al said.
(c) Where Camel is hiding.
(d) Where Marlena is.
11. Why does Marlena refuse to leave with Jacob immediately?
(a) She wants to take her horses.
(b) She wants to say goodbye to her friends.
(c) She wants to get some money from her stateroom.
(d) She wants to take Rosie too.
12. Why did Marlena marry August?
(a) To escape an abusive boyfriend.
(b) To join the circus.
(c) To escape the mundane life her parents had planned for her.
(d) For love.
13. What injury had Jacob suffered?
(a) A broken wrist.
(b) A concussion.
(c) A strained ankle.
(d) A black eye.
14. Why can Jacob not sit with Kinko at breakfast?
(a) Jacob is not liked by Kinko's other friends.
(b) It goes against circus ettiquette.
(c) Uncle Al does not allow the clowns to socialize with other workers.
(d) Kinko's table is overcrowded already.
15. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
(a) She said she was leaving him.
(b) She hit him first.
(c) She called him a nasty name.
(d) She admitted to having an affair with Jacob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is caught stealing lemonade?
2. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August?
3. Who has a fist fight?
4. Who does Jacob want to see?
5. Why do Jacob and Marlena decide not to run away?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)