|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
(a) Rosie speaks Polish.
(b) Rosie speaks Spanish.
(c) Rosie speaks Russian.
(d) Rosie speaks Latin.
2. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
(c) Uncle Al.
3. Who breaks up the fight?
(c) A couple of workmen.
4. Why is elderly Jacob frightened?
(a) He cannot remember his wife's name.
(b) He calls Rosemary Rosie but cannot remember doing it.
(c) He forgets where he is.
(d) He has chest pains and is afraid it means a heart attack is coming on.
5. What does Jacob do that causes Marlena to leave him alone in an alley?
(a) Jacob kisses Marlena.
(b) Jacob tells Marlena she should not drink.
(c) Jacob makes fun of Marlena's torn stockings.
(d) Jacob tells Marlena she should divorce August.
6. Where does Jacob wake the next morning?
(a) In his own room.
(b) In the big top.
(c) In the big cat car.
(d) Inside a clown trunk, wearing clown makeup.
7. What does Uncle Al want Jacob to do?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force August to leave the circus.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob to get August and Marlena back together.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force Marlena to leave the circus.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob to leave the circus.
8. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the second?
(a) Rosemary refuses to give him anymore cream with his breakfast.
(b) Rosemary refuses to take him to the circus.
(c) Rosemary is leaving her job to move closer to her mother-in-law.
(d) Rosemary refuses to allow him to use his walker.
9. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
(a) Uncle Al.
10. Why is the train raided in Poughkepsie?
(a) To recover stolen money and property.
(b) To rid it of illegal alcohol.
(c) To search for illegal aliens.
(d) To rid it of illegal drugs.
11. Who does Jacob attempt to kill?
(b) Uncle Al.
12. What is redlighted?
(a) When a person is fired from the circus.
(b) When a person is injured in the big top.
(c) When a person is caught with illegal liquor.
(d) When a person is thrown from a train against his will.
13. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
(a) She said she was leaving him.
(b) She admitted to having an affair with Jacob.
(c) She hit him first.
(d) She called him a nasty name.
14. What does Rosie do when she sees the exit to the menagerie tent from the big top?
(a) Rosie stops, refusing to move in any direction.
(b) Rosie runs the opposite direction.
(c) Rosie tramples a clown.
(d) Rosie runs to the menagerie tent.
15. How does August react when he finds Jacob and Marlena in his tent?
(a) August thinks he has walked in on a lover's tryst.
(b) August is angry Marlena has wasted good wine on Jacob.
(c) August is excited about the nice dinner.
(d) August is already drunk and ready to drink more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose safety is Jacob concerned about?
2. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
3. What does Jacob discover when he returns to his room?
4. Who does Jacob and Walter decide to approach about caring for Camel?
5. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)