|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies?
(d) Lovely Lucinda.
2. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
(a) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that August is dangerous for Marlena.
(b) Jacob convinces distance will make Marlena and August's relationship better.
(c) Jacob convinces Uncle Al August no longer loves Marlena.
(d) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that Marlena is too distracting for August.
3. Who does Jacob attempt to kill?
(d) Uncle Al.
4. Who has a fist fight?
(a) August and Kinko.
(b) Jacob and August.
(c) August and Earl.
(d) Jacob and Kinko.
5. What does Uncle Al want Jacob to do?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob to leave the circus.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob to get August and Marlena back together.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force August to leave the circus.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force Marlena to leave the circus.
6. What does Jacob do while in this tent?
(a) Falls asleep in the middle of a meeting.
(b) Drinks all the jake.
(c) Throws up on Barbara's friend and passes out.
(d) Argues with circus policy.
7. Why did Marlena marry August?
(a) To escape an abusive boyfriend.
(b) To join the circus.
(c) For love.
(d) To escape the mundane life her parents had planned for her.
8. What does Jacob do that causes Marlena to leave him alone in an alley?
(a) Jacob makes fun of Marlena's torn stockings.
(b) Jacob tells Marlena she should not drink.
(c) Jacob kisses Marlena.
(d) Jacob tells Marlena she should divorce August.
9. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
(a) She hit him first.
(b) She said she was leaving him.
(c) She called him a nasty name.
(d) She admitted to having an affair with Jacob.
10. Where does young Jacob take Marlena the morning after their fights with August?
(a) To Uncle Al.
(b) To a motel.
(c) To the police.
(d) To her mother's house.
11. Why can Jacob not sit with Kinko at breakfast?
(a) Kinko's table is overcrowded already.
(b) Uncle Al does not allow the clowns to socialize with other workers.
(c) It goes against circus ettiquette.
(d) Jacob is not liked by Kinko's other friends.
12. Who takes Jacob to their tent?
(c) Uncle Al.
(d) Barbara, the cooch girl.
13. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the second?
(a) Rosemary refuses to take him to the circus.
(b) Rosemary refuses to give him anymore cream with his breakfast.
(c) Rosemary refuses to allow him to use his walker.
(d) Rosemary is leaving her job to move closer to her mother-in-law.
14. What is August suspicious of?
(a) Jacob and Marlena.
(b) That Rosie is not intelligent enough to learn a performance.
(c) Job cuts by Uncle Al.
(d) Stealing by one of his employees.
15. What is Kinko's real name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose safety is Jacob concerned about?
2. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
3. What does Uncle Al reveal about August to Jacob?
4. What does Jacob discover when he returns to his room?
5. What does Jacob use to pay for the doctor?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)