|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the train raided in Poughkepsie?
(a) To rid it of illegal alcohol.
(b) To search for illegal aliens.
(c) To rid it of illegal drugs.
(d) To recover stolen money and property.
2. Who performs with Rosie?
3. What is August suspicious of?
(a) That Rosie is not intelligent enough to learn a performance.
(b) Job cuts by Uncle Al.
(c) Jacob and Marlena.
(d) Stealing by one of his employees.
4. Where does young Jacob take Marlena the morning after their fights with August?
(a) To a motel.
(b) To Uncle Al.
(c) To the police.
(d) To her mother's house.
5. What has caused this illness?
(a) Tainted jake.
(b) An infection from a prior injury.
(c) A virus spreading through the city.
(d) Spoiled food.
6. Who becomes drunk at the party in Chapter 10?
(d) Uncle Al.
7. What is redlighted?
(a) When a person is thrown from a train against his will.
(b) When a person is caught with illegal liquor.
(c) When a person is fired from the circus.
(d) When a person is injured in the big top.
8. What does a nurse refuse to bring elderly Jacob in Chapter 13?
(b) His walker.
(c) A drink.
(d) His medications.
9. Where does August invite Jacob to go that night?
(a) To a seminar on animal care.
(b) To a nightclub.
(c) To a church service.
(d) To a new restaurant.
10. What compromise does August come up with for Rosie?
(a) Rosie is to dance to another type of song.
(b) Rosie is to perform with another performer.
(c) Rosie is to be put on display in the menagerie tent.
(d) Rosie rides in the parade on a hippo wagon.
11. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the first?
(a) His great-granddaughter does not want to go to the circus.
(b) His grandson decides he does not have time to visit.
(c) His son forgets it is his day to visit.
(d) His wife is unable to visit.
12. Who does Jacob see beating a stampeding Rosie?
(c) Uncle Al.
13. What is Kinko's real name?
14. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
(a) She is going back to August.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is filing for divorce.
(d) She is leaving the circus.
15. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
(a) Rosie speaks Russian.
(b) Rosie speaks Spanish.
(c) Rosie speaks Polish.
(d) Rosie speaks Latin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does August offer Jacob for his help with Rosie?
2. Which animal is the most popular that day in the menagerie tent?
3. Who does Jacob see kill August?
4. Who has a fist fight?
5. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)