|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
(a) She is filing for divorce.
(b) She is leaving the circus.
(c) She is going back to August.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. What does Jacob use to pay for the doctor?
(a) His father's pocket watch.
(b) Illegal alcohol.
(c) Kinko's pay.
(d) His pay from the circus.
3. Why is elderly Jacob frightened?
(a) He forgets where he is.
(b) He cannot remember his wife's name.
(c) He has chest pains and is afraid it means a heart attack is coming on.
(d) He calls Rosemary Rosie but cannot remember doing it.
4. Why can Jacob not sit with Kinko at breakfast?
(a) Kinko's table is overcrowded already.
(b) It goes against circus ettiquette.
(c) Uncle Al does not allow the clowns to socialize with other workers.
(d) Jacob is not liked by Kinko's other friends.
5. What does Rosie do when she sees the exit to the menagerie tent from the big top?
(a) Rosie tramples a clown.
(b) Rosie runs the opposite direction.
(c) Rosie runs to the menagerie tent.
(d) Rosie stops, refusing to move in any direction.
6. Why do Jacob and Marlena decide not to run away?
(a) Marlena wants to keep her job.
(b) Jacob wants to get Camel to his son first.
(c) Jacob wants to finish his degree first.
(d) Marlena wants to make amends with August.
7. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
8. What is redlighted?
(a) When a person is thrown from a train against his will.
(b) When a person is caught with illegal liquor.
(c) When a person is injured in the big top.
(d) When a person is fired from the circus.
9. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
(a) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that August is dangerous for Marlena.
(b) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that Marlena is too distracting for August.
(c) Jacob convinces distance will make Marlena and August's relationship better.
(d) Jacob convinces Uncle Al August no longer loves Marlena.
10. Who does Jacob and Walter decide to approach about caring for Camel?
(a) Camel's estranged son.
(b) Camel's daughter.
(c) Camel's cousin.
(d) Camel's ex-wife.
11. What does Uncle Al want Jacob to do?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob to leave the circus.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force August to leave the circus.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob to force Marlena to leave the circus.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob to get August and Marlena back together.
12. Why does Jacob agree to sit at his old table?
(a) Jacob wants to make Rosemary happy.
(b) Jacob wants to fight and he figures the new resident would make a good target.
(c) Jacob wants to make peace with everyone so the doctor will stop insisting he take his new medication.
(d) Jacob wants to be near the ladies.
13. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August?
(a) A gift of a new gold ring.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A new costume.
(d) Dinner with her, Jacob, and Rosie.
14. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the first?
(a) His son forgets it is his day to visit.
(b) His grandson decides he does not have time to visit.
(c) His great-granddaughter does not want to go to the circus.
(d) His wife is unable to visit.
15. Why is the train raided in Poughkepsie?
(a) To search for illegal aliens.
(b) To recover stolen money and property.
(c) To rid it of illegal alcohol.
(d) To rid it of illegal drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlena and Jacob get separated from August?
2. What injury had Jacob suffered?
3. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the second?
4. What does Jacob do that causes Marlena to leave him alone in an alley?
5. Where does Jacob wake the next morning?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)