|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is elderly Jacob frightened?
(a) He has chest pains and is afraid it means a heart attack is coming on.
(b) He forgets where he is.
(c) He calls Rosemary Rosie but cannot remember doing it.
(d) He cannot remember his wife's name.
2. What does Uncle Al want Rosie to do?
(a) Participate in a parade through town.
(b) Perform an act with Marlena.
(c) Entertain the small children coming to the show.
(d) Dance to an Irish jig.
3. What does Jacob use to pay for the doctor?
(a) His father's pocket watch.
(b) His pay from the circus.
(c) Illegal alcohol.
(d) Kinko's pay.
4. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the second?
(a) Rosemary refuses to allow him to use his walker.
(b) Rosemary refuses to take him to the circus.
(c) Rosemary refuses to give him anymore cream with his breakfast.
(d) Rosemary is leaving her job to move closer to her mother-in-law.
5. What injury had Jacob suffered?
(a) A strained ankle.
(b) A broken wrist.
(c) A black eye.
(d) A concussion.
6. Why do Jacob and Marlena decide not to run away?
(a) Jacob wants to finish his degree first.
(b) Jacob wants to get Camel to his son first.
(c) Marlena wants to keep her job.
(d) Marlena wants to make amends with August.
7. What does Jacob do while in this tent?
(a) Falls asleep in the middle of a meeting.
(b) Argues with circus policy.
(c) Drinks all the jake.
(d) Throws up on Barbara's friend and passes out.
8. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
(a) Uncle Al.
9. Why does August give Marlena a black eye?
(a) She hit him first.
(b) She said she was leaving him.
(c) She admitted to having an affair with Jacob.
(d) She called him a nasty name.
10. What is redlighted?
(a) When a person is thrown from a train against his will.
(b) When a person is injured in the big top.
(c) When a person is fired from the circus.
(d) When a person is caught with illegal liquor.
11. What has caused this illness?
(a) An infection from a prior injury.
(b) Spoiled food.
(c) A virus spreading through the city.
(d) Tainted jake.
12. What does Marlena injure jumping out of Rosie's way?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her wrist.
(d) Her heels.
13. What compromise does August come up with for Rosie?
(a) Rosie is to perform with another performer.
(b) Rosie rides in the parade on a hippo wagon.
(c) Rosie is to be put on display in the menagerie tent.
(d) Rosie is to dance to another type of song.
14. Who has a fist fight?
(a) Jacob and August.
(b) August and Earl.
(c) Jacob and Kinko.
(d) August and Kinko.
15. Where does August invite Jacob to go that night?
(a) To a new restaurant.
(b) To a seminar on animal care.
(c) To a church service.
(d) To a nightclub.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlena and Jacob get separated from August?
2. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
3. Why can Jacob not sit with Kinko at breakfast?
4. Where does young Jacob take Marlena the morning after their fights with August?
5. Who is Jacob told has become ill?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)