|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jacob convince Uncle Al to allow Marlena to return without returning to August?
(a) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that Marlena is too distracting for August.
(b) Jacob convinces Uncle Al August no longer loves Marlena.
(c) Jacob convinces distance will make Marlena and August's relationship better.
(d) Jacob convinces Uncle Al that August is dangerous for Marlena.
2. Why do Jacob and Marlena decide not to run away?
(a) Jacob wants to get Camel to his son first.
(b) Jacob wants to finish his degree first.
(c) Marlena wants to keep her job.
(d) Marlena wants to make amends with August.
3. What compromise does August come up with for Rosie?
(a) Rosie rides in the parade on a hippo wagon.
(b) Rosie is to be put on display in the menagerie tent.
(c) Rosie is to perform with another performer.
(d) Rosie is to dance to another type of song.
4. What secret does Marlena tell Jacob?
(a) She is filing for divorce.
(b) She is going back to August.
(c) She is leaving the circus.
(d) She is pregnant.
5. Who is having a party in Chapter 10?
(d) Uncle Al.
6. What gift does August offer Jacob for his help with Rosie?
(a) A new watch.
(b) A raise.
(c) A new job.
(d) A gold ring.
7. What surprise does Marlena arrange for August?
(a) Dinner with her, Jacob, and Rosie.
(b) A new costume.
(c) A gift of a new gold ring.
(d) A new horse.
8. Who does Jacob see kill August?
(b) Uncle Al.
9. Elderly Jacob suffers two disappointments in chapter 19. What is the first?
(a) His grandson decides he does not have time to visit.
(b) His son forgets it is his day to visit.
(c) His wife is unable to visit.
(d) His great-granddaughter does not want to go to the circus.
10. What does Jacob do that causes Marlena to leave him alone in an alley?
(a) Jacob kisses Marlena.
(b) Jacob makes fun of Marlena's torn stockings.
(c) Jacob tells Marlena she should divorce August.
(d) Jacob tells Marlena she should not drink.
11. What is redlighted?
(a) When a person is thrown from a train against his will.
(b) When a person is caught with illegal liquor.
(c) When a person is injured in the big top.
(d) When a person is fired from the circus.
12. What is August suspicious of?
(a) Job cuts by Uncle Al.
(b) Stealing by one of his employees.
(c) That Rosie is not intelligent enough to learn a performance.
(d) Jacob and Marlena.
13. Who does Jacob want to see?
(a) Uncle Al.
14. Who breaks up the fight?
(a) A couple of workmen.
15. What does August want Jacob to tell him?
(a) Where Camel is hiding.
(b) What Uncle Al said.
(c) That he will quit the circus.
(d) Where Marlena is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Walter and Jacob hide Camel in the meantime?
2. Why is elderly Jacob frightened?
3. How do Marlena and Jacob get separated from August?
4. Who dies?
5. What does Jacob discover about Rosie?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)