|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jacob studying at school?
(c) Veterinary Medicine.
2. What does Jacob's doctor believe has caused his recent outburst?
(a) The doctor believes Jacob is depressed over his wife's death.
(b) The doctor believes Jacob is suffering demensia.
(c) The doctor believes Jacob is developing schizophrenia.
(d) The doctor believes Jacob is just a miserly old man.
3. Which relatives does Jacob normally know?
(a) His siblings.
(b) His grandchildren.
(c) His children.
(d) His great-grandchildren.
4. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
(a) His mushy food.
(b) A pain in his chest.
(c) The music playing in the background.
(d) The noise at the other tables.
5. Can Jacob heal the horse he examines?
(a) No, Jacob does not have the necessary equipment to heal the horse.
(b) Yes, but it will take a special surgery to do it.
(c) No, Jacob knows the injury cannot be healed.
(d) Yes, but the horse will need to be left behind when the circus moves on.
6. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
(a) To tell her the truth about her horse.
(b) To help her leave August.
(c) To tell her the truth about his feelings for her.
(d) To protect her from August and Uncle Al.
7. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
(a) He is unhappy with the barker's comments about his wife.
(b) He is unhappy with what he sees in the show.
(c) He is unhappy with the price of the shows.
(d) He is unhappy with the noise the barker makes.
8. What is Jacob told as he runs toward the big top?
(a) Jacob is told August is looking for him
(b) Jacob is told the police are raiding the train
(c) Jacob is told the animals are stampeding
(d) Jacob is told Marlena has been injured
9. Why is Jacob removed from the dining room?
(a) He argues with the new resident.
(b) He is finished eating.
(c) He is rude to the nurses.
(d) He becomes ill.
10. What is the menagerie tent?
(a) The tent where the animals are housed.
(b) The tent where the supplies are stored.
(c) The tent where the performers wait to go on.
(d) The tent where the managers have their offices.
11. Who joins Jacob and his friends at dinner?
(a) A new resident, a retired actress from Hollywood.
(b) A new resident, a retired lawyer.
(c) A new doctor.
(d) A new nurse.
12. What does the new resident say that upsets Jacob?
(a) That he got free popcorn and souvenirs for his days carrying water for elephants.
(b) That he got an upgrade on his circus ticket because of his days carrying water for elephants.
(c) That he got to perform at the circus because of his days carrying water for elephants.
(d) That he got a free ticket because of his days carrying water for elephants.
13. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
(a) His children.
(b) The nurse he has a crush on.
(c) His girlfriend whom he left in the dining room with the new resident
(d) His wife of sixty years.
14. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
(a) Directing customers to the sideshows.
(b) Feeding the big cats.
(c) Cleaning up in the cookhouse.
(d) Security at a cooch show.
15. What does Jacob risk by helping Marlena with her horse?
(a) His veterinarian career.
(b) His safety.
(c) His life.
(d) His job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jacob find Marlena?
2. Who is Jacob, the character introduced in the prologue?
3. Why does elderly Jacob become annoyed when Rosemary wakes him?
4. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
5. Why is Jacob in the assisted-living center?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)