|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jacob removed from the dining room?
(a) He is finished eating.
(b) He argues with the new resident.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He is rude to the nurses.
2. Why is Jacob happy that he can remember the nurse's name is Rosemary?
(a) Jacob is just happy to see the same nurse more than once.
(b) Jacob likes the name Rosemary.
(c) Jacob believes remembering her name proves he is not losing his mind.
(d) Jacob has never been able to remember names, so he is happy anytime he can.
3. Who interrupts the class?
(d) The dean of students.
4. What does Jacob think about as he watches?
(a) If the new game is as boring as it looks.
(b) If the new dancer could be any worse.
(c) If the new movie is worth watching.
(d) If the circus acts are as good as Marlena's act was.
5. Why can Jacob not change his clothes the next morning?
(a) The horse needs immediate attention.
(b) Camel needs Jacob's help.
(c) Kinko blocks his access to their room.
(d) Kinko has thrown all of Jacob's clothes away.
6. What holds the attention of many of the assisted-living center's residents in Chapter 5?
(a) A movie in the activity room.
(b) The circus.
(c) A new resident who can dance.
(d) A new game in the activity room.
7. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
(a) Marlena's cousin
(b) Jacob's cousin
(c) Marlena's husband
(d) Jacob's brother
8. Why does young Jacob meet with August in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Jacob meets with August to discuss his new job duties.
(b) Jacob meets with August in order to check on the sick horse.
(c) Jacob meets with August to get his meal tickets.
(d) Jacom meets with August to thank him for his kindness the night before.
9. What does Jacob do to help Kinko?
(a) Jacob offers to do some of Kinko's work around the circus.
(b) Jacob offers to help care for a sick friend of Kinko's.
(c) Jacob offers a solution to an illness Kinko's dog is suffering.
(d) Jacob offers to move to a new room.
10. What does Jacob see outside the window?
(a) A moving van at the house next door.
(b) A new resident arriving.
(c) A circus setting up a block or two away.
(d) An advertisment for a new senility drug.
11. What is Jacob doing just before the stampede begins?
(d) Caring for animals
12. What did Jacob's father do for a living?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a store clerk.
(d) He was a veterinarian.
13. What does Uncle Al order be done with Jacob?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob thrown from the train.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob given a job with the clowns.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob placed in the animal car.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob handed over to the police.
14. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
(a) August must train a new animal quickly.
(b) August does not have time to procure food for the animals.
(c) August is going to lose half his staff.
(d) August is forced to give up some of his animals.
15. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
(a) They are moving on sooner than expected.
(b) They are going bankrupt.
(c) They are going to be making cutbacks.
(d) They are adding a new act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camel tell Jacob he will have to learn to get along?
2. Why does elderly Jacob become annoyed when Rosemary wakes him?
3. What does August provide for himself, Marlena, and Jacob before dinner?
4. What impression makes Uncle Al think Jacob is not serious about a job with the circus? Who does Uncle Al think Jacob is?
5. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)