|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the menagerie tent?
(a) The tent where the supplies are stored.
(b) The tent where the managers have their offices.
(c) The tent where the performers wait to go on.
(d) The tent where the animals are housed.
2. Where is Jacob taken after it is decided he will remain with the circus to examine a sick animal?
(a) To a car split between horses and a small room once used for goats.
(b) To a prison cell.
(c) To Uncle Al's private car.
(d) To the clown car.
3. What is Jacob studying at school?
(c) Veterinary Medicine.
4. What draws Jacob to the window?
(a) A group of residents gathered at the window.
(b) A tapping sound on the window.
(c) The sight of something large and red.
(d) A nurse calls him over.
5. What does Jacob promise to do for Marlena in Chapter 7?
(a) Put her horse out of its misery.
(b) Help her leave August.
(c) Protect her from Uncle Al and August.
(d) To love her always.
6. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
7. What is Jacob's one pleasure at the assisted-living center?
(a) The time to read his favorite books.
(b) The nurses who dote on him.
(c) The attention of the female residents.
(d) The good food.
8. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
(a) To tell her the truth about his feelings for her.
(b) To help her leave August.
(c) To tell her the truth about her horse.
(d) To protect her from August and Uncle Al.
9. What does Uncle Al order be done with Jacob?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob given a job with the clowns.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob thrown from the train.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob placed in the animal car.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob handed over to the police.
10. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
(a) Feeding the big cats.
(b) Cleaning up in the cookhouse.
(c) Directing customers to the sideshows.
(d) Security at a cooch show.
11. Why does Jacob help the barker?
(a) Its the right thing to do.
(b) It ingratiates him with the workers.
(c) It gets him a better job.
(d) It ingratiates him with the circus owner.
12. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
(a) A prime location for a performance.
(b) A city that is selling new train cars.
(c) A bankrupt circus whose belongings are being auctioned by the city.
(d) A city that is selling zoo animals.
13. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
(a) Barrels of sweet grain for the horses.
(b) Barrels of valuables taken from Uncle Al.
(c) Barrels of illegal alcohol.
(d) Barrels of raw meat.
14. What impresses Jacob about a woman he sees in the menagerie tent in Chapter 3?
(a) She is extremely beautiful
(b) She is extremely hairy
(c) She is extremely fat
(d) She is extremely disfigured.
15. What makes Jacob angry after this person wakes him?
(a) Jacob is awakened rudely.
(b) The nurse checks his pulse and blood pressure without asking his permission.
(c) The new resident being in his room--Jacob does not like him.
(d) Jacob is disappointed to be back in reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob object to his seating at dinner in Chapter 5?
2. Who is kind to Jacob despite his foul mood at dinner?
3. Who is Jacob, the character introduced in the prologue?
4. What does August provide for himself, Marlena, and Jacob before dinner?
5. Who comes to Jacob's defense during his conversation with Uncle Al?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)