|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
(a) Cleaning up in the cookhouse.
(b) Directing customers to the sideshows.
(c) Feeding the big cats.
(d) Security at a cooch show.
2. What new animal does Uncle Al buy?
(a) A lion.
(b) A llama.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A giraffe.
3. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
(a) His father's car.
(b) His mother's cookbook.
(c) His mother's wedding ring.
(d) His father's gold watch.
4. What makes Jacob angry after this person wakes him?
(a) Jacob is awakened rudely.
(b) The new resident being in his room--Jacob does not like him.
(c) Jacob is disappointed to be back in reality.
(d) The nurse checks his pulse and blood pressure without asking his permission.
5. What animal is Jacob to examine the following morning?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A horse.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) A llama.
6. Where does Jacob sleep his first night in his new sleeping quarters?
(a) In a sleeping bag borrowed from his roommate.
(b) In a soft bed.
(c) Under a wet and mildewed blanket.
(d) On a hammock.
7. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
(a) Rosemary adds a bowl of cream to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(b) Rosemary adds grits to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(c) Rosemary adds pancakes to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(d) Rosemary adds an apple to Jacob's breakfast tray.
8. What makes Jacob upset with Uncle Al in Chapter 9?
(a) Uncle Al leaves the animals to the end of his negotiations so that the heat and weight of their care will drive down their price.
(b) Uncle Al hires a new group of men even though he has not paid the ones he has for weeks.
(c) Uncle Al orders August not to feed any of the animals until negotiations are concluded.
(d) Uncle Al ignores the animals of the bankrupt circus because there are none he is interested in buying.
9. Who joins Jacob and his friends at dinner?
(a) A new doctor.
(b) A new resident, a retired actress from Hollywood.
(c) A new resident, a retired lawyer.
(d) A new nurse.
10. What impresses Jacob about a woman he sees in the menagerie tent in Chapter 3?
(a) She is extremely hairy
(b) She is extremely beautiful
(c) She is extremely disfigured.
(d) She is extremely fat
11. What animal appears to be missing from the circus?
(a) A lion.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A yak.
(d) A llama.
12. What does this guest claim to have done as a young person?
(a) Meet Valentino.
(b) Worked with Fred Astaire.
(c) Cared for the performers in a circus.
(d) Carried water for elephants in the circus.
13. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
(a) His girlfriend whom he left in the dining room with the new resident
(b) His children.
(c) The nurse he has a crush on.
(d) His wife of sixty years.
14. What does Camel tell Jacob he will have to learn to get along?
(c) How to fight.
(d) Circus lingo.
15. What does August provide for himself, Marlena, and Jacob before dinner?
(a) Expensive gifts.
(b) Formal attire.
(c) Expensive whiskey.
(d) Rare chocolates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
2. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob after his outburst at dinner?
3. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
4. Who does Camel attempt to speak to on Jacob's behalf?
5. Why is Jacob removed from the dining room?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)