|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacob see outside the window?
(a) A circus setting up a block or two away.
(b) A new resident arriving.
(c) A moving van at the house next door.
(d) An advertisment for a new senility drug.
2. What is Jacob studying at school?
(a) Veterinary Medicine.
3. What does Uncle Al tell Jacob about the possibility of a job with the circus?
(a) Uncle Al gives Jacob a job, but it is dependent on his ability to save the horse.
(b) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave the train, he is not a good enough vet to justify the expense of keeping him on.
(c) Jacob has a job, but he will not be paid for a trial period of several weeks.
(d) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave, they cannot afford another worker.
4. What does Uncle Al order be done with Jacob?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob placed in the animal car.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob thrown from the train.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob handed over to the police.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob given a job with the clowns.
5. Where does Jacob find Marlena?
(a) In the menagerie tent
(b) In town
(c) In the big top
(d) On the train
6. Which relatives does Jacob have trouble remembering?
(a) Everyone but his children.
(b) Everyone but his wife.
(c) Everyone but his great-grandchildren.
(d) Everyone but his grandchildren.
7. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob after his outburst at dinner?
(a) An antidepressant pill that Jacob does not want.
(b) Time with a counselor.
(c) A pill to help with memory disorders.
(d) An antipsychotic pill.
8. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
(a) His children.
(b) The nurse he has a crush on.
(c) His wife of sixty years.
(d) His girlfriend whom he left in the dining room with the new resident
9. Where does Jacob meet up with Marlena the next morning in Chapter 7?
(a) The menagerie tent.
(b) The cookhouse.
(c) Her private car.
(d) The horse car.
10. Why does Jacob help the barker?
(a) It ingratiates him with the circus owner.
(b) It ingratiates him with the workers.
(c) Its the right thing to do.
(d) It gets him a better job.
11. How does Rosemary react to Jacob's anger over the blinds?
(a) She calls another nurse to deal with his attitude.
(b) She leaves and re-enters the room as though she has just arrived.
(c) She yells at Jacob for acting so rude.
(d) She calls the doctor to increase his medication.
12. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
(a) Once or twice a year.
(b) Once or twice a week.
(c) Once or twice a month.
(d) Every day.
13. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
(a) He is a kind person who will help anyone.
(b) He wants to make a favorable impression on Uncle Al and August.
(c) He likes her and does not want her to suffer.
(d) He likes being in control of a situation.
14. Can Jacob heal the horse he examines?
(a) Yes, but it will take a special surgery to do it.
(b) No, Jacob does not have the necessary equipment to heal the horse.
(c) Yes, but the horse will need to be left behind when the circus moves on.
(d) No, Jacob knows the injury cannot be healed.
15. How does Jacob react to the nurse's response to his complaint?
(a) Jacob knocks his plate onto the floor.
(b) Jacob insists on going to his room.
(c) Jacob argues with the nurse.
(d) Jacob picks a fight with the new resident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob recommend be done for the horse?
2. Why is Jacob happy that he can remember the nurse's name is Rosemary?
3. Who is Marlena, the woman Jacob is looking for in the prologue?
4. What does the barker do to reward Jacob?
5. Who is Camel, the man Jacob meets on the train?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)