|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jacob taken after it is decided he will remain with the circus to examine a sick animal?
(a) To a car split between horses and a small room once used for goats.
(b) To the clown car.
(c) To Uncle Al's private car.
(d) To a prison cell.
2. Who is Jacob, the character introduced in the prologue?
(a) A cook.
(b) A circus performer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A circus workman.
3. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
(a) A bankrupt circus whose belongings are being auctioned by the city.
(b) A prime location for a performance.
(c) A city that is selling new train cars.
(d) A city that is selling zoo animals.
4. Why was Jacob's father unable to pay his mortgage?
(a) He could no longer work due to an injury.
(b) The mortgage payments were too high.
(c) He could no longer work due to the depression.
(d) His clients were unable to pay him in cash.
5. Where does Jacob sleep his first night in his new sleeping quarters?
(a) In a sleeping bag borrowed from his roommate.
(b) In a soft bed.
(c) Under a wet and mildewed blanket.
(d) On a hammock.
6. What did Jacob's father do for a living?
(a) He was a store clerk.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a doctor.
(d) He was a veterinarian.
7. What punishment does August give Jacob?
(a) August forces Jacob to muck out the animal stalls.
(b) August forces Jacob to leave the train.
(c) August makes Jacob feed the big cats causing him to be bitten by a toothless lion.
(d) August tells Jacob to polish his boots.
8. Who is coming to visit Jacob that day?
(a) One of his children.
(c) One of his grandchildren.
(d) One of his great-grandchildren.
9. What person in Jacob's life has recently died?
(a) His wife.
(b) His long time friend.
(c) His child.
(d) His doctor.
10. What animal appears to be missing from the circus?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A llama.
(c) A lion.
(d) A yak.
11. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
(a) August must train a new animal quickly.
(b) August is going to lose half his staff.
(c) August does not have time to procure food for the animals.
(d) August is forced to give up some of his animals.
12. Can Jacob heal the horse he examines?
(a) Yes, but it will take a special surgery to do it.
(b) No, Jacob knows the injury cannot be healed.
(c) Yes, but the horse will need to be left behind when the circus moves on.
(d) No, Jacob does not have the necessary equipment to heal the horse.
13. What is a cooch show in the circus?
(a) A show where women strip for customers.
(b) A show where a woman sings into a conch shell.
(c) A show where a woman does tricks on horseback.
(d) A show where animals do tricks.
14. Which relatives does Jacob normally know?
(a) His siblings.
(b) His great-grandchildren.
(c) His children.
(d) His grandchildren.
15. What is Jacob's one pleasure at the assisted-living center?
(a) The attention of the female residents.
(b) The time to read his favorite books.
(c) The good food.
(d) The nurses who dote on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jacob studying at school?
2. What is Jacob told as he runs toward the big top?
3. What holds Jacob's attention in class in Chapter 2?
4. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
5. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)