|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jacob react to the nurse's response to his complaint?
(a) Jacob knocks his plate onto the floor.
(b) Jacob picks a fight with the new resident.
(c) Jacob insists on going to his room.
(d) Jacob argues with the nurse.
2. Why does August become annoyed with Marlena over lunch in Chapter 9?
(a) Marlena flirts openly with Jacob.
(b) Marlena refuses to make changes to her performances that August has recommended.
(c) Marlena ignores August's attempts at reconciliation.
(d) Marlena feeds one of the displaced workers.
3. What does August provide for himself, Marlena, and Jacob before dinner?
(a) Expensive gifts.
(b) Formal attire.
(c) Expensive whiskey.
(d) Rare chocolates.
4. What animal is Jacob to examine the following morning?
(a) A horse.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A llama.
(d) A giraffe.
5. What draws Jacob to the window?
(a) A nurse calls him over.
(b) The sight of something large and red.
(c) A tapping sound on the window.
(d) A group of residents gathered at the window.
6. Who is Uncle Al?
(a) The accountant for the circus.
(b) The manager of the performers
(c) The manager of the animals
(d) The owner of the circus
7. What school does Jacob attend?
(a) Notre Dame University.
(b) Duke University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Cornell University.
8. Why does Jacob go to Marlena and August's car in Chapter 7?
(a) Jacob wants to see Marlena again.
(b) Jacob wants to apologize to August.
(c) Jacob is to have dinner with Marlena and August.
(d) Jacob wants to give August and Marlena an update on the sick horse.
9. Who comes to Jacob's defense during his conversation with Uncle Al?
10. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
(a) August must train a new animal quickly.
(b) August is going to lose half his staff.
(c) August does not have time to procure food for the animals.
(d) August is forced to give up some of his animals.
11. What does Jacob see for the first time during the cooch show?
(a) A naked midget.
(b) A nursing mother.
(c) A naked man.
(d) A naked woman.
12. What does Uncle Al tell Jacob about the possibility of a job with the circus?
(a) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave the train, he is not a good enough vet to justify the expense of keeping him on.
(b) Jacob has a job, but he will not be paid for a trial period of several weeks.
(c) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave, they cannot afford another worker.
(d) Uncle Al gives Jacob a job, but it is dependent on his ability to save the horse.
13. Why does Jacob help the barker?
(a) It gets him a better job.
(b) Its the right thing to do.
(c) It ingratiates him with the circus owner.
(d) It ingratiates him with the workers.
14. Who joins Jacob and his friends at dinner?
(a) A new doctor.
(b) A new nurse.
(c) A new resident, a retired lawyer.
(d) A new resident, a retired actress from Hollywood.
15. What does Jacob's doctor believe has caused his recent outburst?
(a) The doctor believes Jacob is just a miserly old man.
(b) The doctor believes Jacob is developing schizophrenia.
(c) The doctor believes Jacob is suffering demensia.
(d) The doctor believes Jacob is depressed over his wife's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jacob told as he runs toward the big top?
2. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
3. What has changed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
4. What does this guest claim to have done as a young person?
5. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)