|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song does Jacob hear being played as the stampede begins?
(a) Stars and Stripes Forever
(b) God Bless America
(c) America the Beautiful
(d) God Bless the Queen
2. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
3. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
(a) They are moving on sooner than expected.
(b) They are going bankrupt.
(c) They are adding a new act.
(d) They are going to be making cutbacks.
4. What makes Jacob angry after this person wakes him?
(a) Jacob is awakened rudely.
(b) The new resident being in his room--Jacob does not like him.
(c) Jacob is disappointed to be back in reality.
(d) The nurse checks his pulse and blood pressure without asking his permission.
5. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
(a) His father's car.
(b) His father's gold watch.
(c) His mother's wedding ring.
(d) His mother's cookbook.
6. Who owns the sick horse Jacob is to examine in Chapter 6?
(a) Uncle Al and the circus.
(b) August, the animal manager.
(c) Camel and Kinko the Clown.
(d) Marlena, August's wife and the beautiful woman Jacob saw the day before.
7. What is jake?
(a) Jamaican ginger extract
(c) Rice gin
(d) Distilled whiskey
8. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
(a) Directing customers to the sideshows.
(b) Security at a cooch show.
(c) Feeding the big cats.
(d) Cleaning up in the cookhouse.
9. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
(a) To tell her the truth about her horse.
(b) To help her leave August.
(c) To tell her the truth about his feelings for her.
(d) To protect her from August and Uncle Al.
10. Which relatives does Jacob normally know?
(a) His siblings.
(b) His grandchildren.
(c) His children.
(d) His great-grandchildren.
11. What is Jacob told as he runs toward the big top?
(a) Jacob is told Marlena has been injured
(b) Jacob is told the animals are stampeding
(c) Jacob is told the police are raiding the train
(d) Jacob is told August is looking for him
12. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
(a) He is unhappy with the barker's comments about his wife.
(b) He is unhappy with the noise the barker makes.
(c) He is unhappy with the price of the shows.
(d) He is unhappy with what he sees in the show.
13. Who wakes elderly Jacob in Chapter 5?
(a) His wife.
(b) His son.
(c) Rosemary, the nurse.
(d) The new resident.
14. Why does Camel drink jake?
(a) It is cheap.
(b) It is tasty.
(c) It was a gift.
(d) It is Prohibition and it is the only alcohol he can find.
15. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
(a) Rosemary adds pancakes to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(b) Rosemary adds an apple to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(c) Rosemary adds a bowl of cream to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(d) Rosemary adds grits to Jacob's breakfast tray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob see outside the window?
2. Where is Jacob at the beginning of his circus memories?
3. Which relatives does Jacob have trouble remembering?
4. What impression makes Uncle Al think Jacob is not serious about a job with the circus? Who does Uncle Al think Jacob is?
5. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)