|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
(a) His children.
(b) His wife of sixty years.
(c) The nurse he has a crush on.
(d) His girlfriend whom he left in the dining room with the new resident
2. What impression makes Uncle Al think Jacob is not serious about a job with the circus? Who does Uncle Al think Jacob is?
(a) A kid who has run away from a boring future.
(b) A kid on the run from the police.
(c) A kid who has run away from his parents.
(d) A kid with no where else to go.
3. What does Marlena ask Jacob when they meet in Chapter 7?
(a) To tell her the truth about her horse.
(b) To protect her from August and Uncle Al.
(c) To help her leave August.
(d) To tell her the truth about his feelings for her.
4. What has changed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
(a) The setting. Chapter 2 takes place in Jacob's past.
(b) The plot. Chapter 2 introduces a new conflict.
(c) The characters. Chapter 2 contains a new main character.
(d) The tone. Chapter 2 begins after a new tragedy in Jacob's life.
5. What does August provide for himself, Marlena, and Jacob before dinner?
(a) Expensive whiskey.
(b) Rare chocolates.
(c) Formal attire.
(d) Expensive gifts.
6. Who is Camel, the man Jacob meets on the train?
(a) Camel is one of the animals with the circus.
(b) Camel is the owner of the circus.
(c) Camel is a worker with the circus who promises to help Jacob get a job.
(d) Camel is a cop sent to raid the circus.
7. What makes Jacob upset with Uncle Al in Chapter 9?
(a) Uncle Al ignores the animals of the bankrupt circus because there are none he is interested in buying.
(b) Uncle Al orders August not to feed any of the animals until negotiations are concluded.
(c) Uncle Al leaves the animals to the end of his negotiations so that the heat and weight of their care will drive down their price.
(d) Uncle Al hires a new group of men even though he has not paid the ones he has for weeks.
8. Why is Jacob happy that he can remember the nurse's name is Rosemary?
(a) Jacob believes remembering her name proves he is not losing his mind.
(b) Jacob has never been able to remember names, so he is happy anytime he can.
(c) Jacob likes the name Rosemary.
(d) Jacob is just happy to see the same nurse more than once.
9. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
(a) He is unhappy with what he sees in the show.
(b) He is unhappy with the barker's comments about his wife.
(c) He is unhappy with the price of the shows.
(d) He is unhappy with the noise the barker makes.
10. Who is to be Jacob's roommate in his new sleeping quarters?
11. What job is Jacob given next, after Camel decides his first job with the circus was beneath him?
(a) Cleaning up in the cookhouse.
(b) Feeding the big cats.
(c) Security at a cooch show.
(d) Directing customers to the sideshows.
12. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
(a) A prime location for a performance.
(b) A city that is selling zoo animals.
(c) A city that is selling new train cars.
(d) A bankrupt circus whose belongings are being auctioned by the city.
13. What is Jacob's one pleasure at the assisted-living center?
(a) The good food.
(b) The time to read his favorite books.
(c) The attention of the female residents.
(d) The nurses who dote on him.
14. What animal is Jacob to examine the following morning?
(a) A llama.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A horse.
15. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
(a) They are going to be making cutbacks.
(b) They are moving on sooner than expected.
(c) They are going bankrupt.
(d) They are adding a new act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob think about as he watches?
2. How does Rosemary react to Jacob's anger over the blinds?
3. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
4. Why is Jacob in the assisted-living center?
5. Who interrupts the class?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)