|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the new resident say that upsets Jacob?
(a) That he got an upgrade on his circus ticket because of his days carrying water for elephants.
(b) That he got a free ticket because of his days carrying water for elephants.
(c) That he got to perform at the circus because of his days carrying water for elephants.
(d) That he got free popcorn and souvenirs for his days carrying water for elephants.
2. What holds Jacob's attention in class in Chapter 2?
(a) A fellow student's magazine.
(b) The teacher's lecture.
(c) A beautiful young woman.
(d) The teacher's assignment.
3. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
(a) A coal train.
(b) A circus train.
(c) A passenger train.
(d) A freight train.
4. Who finds bath water for Jacob?
5. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob after his outburst at dinner?
(a) An antidepressant pill that Jacob does not want.
(b) An antipsychotic pill.
(c) A pill to help with memory disorders.
(d) Time with a counselor.
6. What is Jacob studying at school?
(c) Veterinary Medicine.
7. What does Jacob see outside the window?
(a) A moving van at the house next door.
(b) An advertisment for a new senility drug.
(c) A new resident arriving.
(d) A circus setting up a block or two away.
8. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
9. What does Jacob risk by helping Marlena with her horse?
(a) His veterinarian career.
(b) His life.
(c) His job.
(d) His safety.
10. Why does Jacob dislike this guest?
(a) He knows he is lying and he is jealous of the attention he is getting.
(b) He remembers this person from his own youth.
(c) He dislikes braggarts.
(d) The guest is disrespectful to Jacob.
11. Why does Camel drink jake?
(a) It is tasty.
(b) It is Prohibition and it is the only alcohol he can find.
(c) It was a gift.
(d) It is cheap.
12. Which relatives does Jacob have trouble remembering?
(a) Everyone but his grandchildren.
(b) Everyone but his wife.
(c) Everyone but his great-grandchildren.
(d) Everyone but his children.
13. Why does a customer attack the sideshow barker?
(a) He is unhappy with the price of the shows.
(b) He is unhappy with what he sees in the show.
(c) He is unhappy with the barker's comments about his wife.
(d) He is unhappy with the noise the barker makes.
14. Can Jacob heal the horse he examines?
(a) Yes, but it will take a special surgery to do it.
(b) No, Jacob does not have the necessary equipment to heal the horse.
(c) No, Jacob knows the injury cannot be healed.
(d) Yes, but the horse will need to be left behind when the circus moves on.
15. Why can Jacob not change his clothes the next morning?
(a) Camel needs Jacob's help.
(b) Kinko has thrown all of Jacob's clothes away.
(c) The horse needs immediate attention.
(d) Kinko blocks his access to their room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the sick horse Jacob is to examine in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Jacob meet up with Marlena the next morning in Chapter 7?
3. What has Uncle Al pushed the circus to reach?
4. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
5. What impression makes Uncle Al think Jacob is not serious about a job with the circus? Who does Uncle Al think Jacob is?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)