|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jacob go to Marlena and August's car in Chapter 7?
(a) Jacob is to have dinner with Marlena and August.
(b) Jacob wants to give August and Marlena an update on the sick horse.
(c) Jacob wants to apologize to August.
(d) Jacob wants to see Marlena again.
2. What is the first job Jacob is given with the circus?
(a) Putting up the tents.
(b) Mucking out the stalls for the stock horses.
(c) Cleaning the cookhouse.
(d) Feeding the big cats.
3. What does Jacob do to irritate August when they stop that night?
(a) Jacob insults Marlena.
(b) Jacob refuses to check on Marlena's sick horse.
(c) Jacob overrides an order August gave the men.
(d) Jacob insults Uncle Al.
4. Why is class interrupted?
(a) A student let a mouse go in class.
(b) There is a message for Jacob.
(c) One of the students made a rude remark.
(d) There is a problem with the final exam.
5. Where is Jacob at the beginning of his circus memories?
(a) In the cookhouse of a circus.
(b) In the big top watching a circus.
(c) In the menagerie tent of a circus.
(d) In the train belonging to a circus.
6. Why is Jacob in the assisted-living center?
(a) He has no family to care for him.
(b) He wants to be near people his own age.
(c) He broke his hip and needs extra help while he recovers.
(d) He is old.
7. What does Jacob's doctor believe has caused his recent outburst?
(a) The doctor believes Jacob is developing schizophrenia.
(b) The doctor believes Jacob is suffering demensia.
(c) The doctor believes Jacob is just a miserly old man.
(d) The doctor believes Jacob is depressed over his wife's death.
8. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
(a) He likes being in control of a situation.
(b) He likes her and does not want her to suffer.
(c) He is a kind person who will help anyone.
(d) He wants to make a favorable impression on Uncle Al and August.
9. Who owns the sick horse Jacob is to examine in Chapter 6?
(a) August, the animal manager.
(b) Camel and Kinko the Clown.
(c) Uncle Al and the circus.
(d) Marlena, August's wife and the beautiful woman Jacob saw the day before.
10. What is a cooch show in the circus?
(a) A show where a woman does tricks on horseback.
(b) A show where a woman sings into a conch shell.
(c) A show where animals do tricks.
(d) A show where women strip for customers.
11. What kind of train does Jacob jump?
(a) A circus train.
(b) A coal train.
(c) A passenger train.
(d) A freight train.
12. Why was Jacob's father unable to pay his mortgage?
(a) His clients were unable to pay him in cash.
(b) He could no longer work due to the depression.
(c) The mortgage payments were too high.
(d) He could no longer work due to an injury.
13. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
(a) They are moving on sooner than expected.
(b) They are going bankrupt.
(c) They are going to be making cutbacks.
(d) They are adding a new act.
14. What makes Jacob angry after this person wakes him?
(a) Jacob is awakened rudely.
(b) The nurse checks his pulse and blood pressure without asking his permission.
(c) Jacob is disappointed to be back in reality.
(d) The new resident being in his room--Jacob does not like him.
15. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
(a) Rosemary adds grits to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(b) Rosemary adds a bowl of cream to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(c) Rosemary adds pancakes to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(d) Rosemary adds an apple to Jacob's breakfast tray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new resident say that upsets Jacob?
2. What holds the attention of many of the assisted-living center's residents in Chapter 5?
3. Who interrupts the class?
4. What job does Jacob's new roommate have?
5. What does this guest claim to have done as a young person?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)