|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Uncle Al?
(a) The accountant for the circus.
(b) The manager of the performers
(c) The manager of the animals
(d) The owner of the circus
2. Who comes to Jacob's defense during his conversation with Uncle Al?
3. Who is Marlena talking to when Jacob finds her?
4. What is Jacob told as he runs toward the big top?
(a) Jacob is told the police are raiding the train
(b) Jacob is told August is looking for him
(c) Jacob is told Marlena has been injured
(d) Jacob is told the animals are stampeding
5. What school does Jacob attend?
(a) Notre Dame University.
(b) Duke University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Cornell University.
6. What does Jacob see for the first time during the cooch show?
(a) A naked midget.
(b) A naked man.
(c) A nursing mother.
(d) A naked woman.
7. Why does young Jacob meet with August in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Jacom meets with August to thank him for his kindness the night before.
(b) Jacob meets with August to discuss his new job duties.
(c) Jacob meets with August to get his meal tickets.
(d) Jacob meets with August in order to check on the sick horse.
8. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
(a) Rosemary adds a bowl of cream to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(b) Rosemary adds grits to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(c) Rosemary adds pancakes to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(d) Rosemary adds an apple to Jacob's breakfast tray.
9. Who is coming to visit Jacob that day?
(a) One of his grandchildren.
(c) One of his children.
(d) One of his great-grandchildren.
10. What is the menagerie tent?
(a) The tent where the animals are housed.
(b) The tent where the performers wait to go on.
(c) The tent where the managers have their offices.
(d) The tent where the supplies are stored.
11. What does Jacob do to irritate August when they stop that night?
(a) Jacob insults Uncle Al.
(b) Jacob overrides an order August gave the men.
(c) Jacob refuses to check on Marlena's sick horse.
(d) Jacob insults Marlena.
12. What does Jacob do to help Kinko?
(a) Jacob offers to do some of Kinko's work around the circus.
(b) Jacob offers to help care for a sick friend of Kinko's.
(c) Jacob offers to move to a new room.
(d) Jacob offers a solution to an illness Kinko's dog is suffering.
13. What is a cooch show in the circus?
(a) A show where a woman sings into a conch shell.
(b) A show where animals do tricks.
(c) A show where a woman does tricks on horseback.
(d) A show where women strip for customers.
14. Why does Jacob dislike this guest?
(a) He dislikes braggarts.
(b) He knows he is lying and he is jealous of the attention he is getting.
(c) He remembers this person from his own youth.
(d) The guest is disrespectful to Jacob.
15. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
2. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
3. What does Uncle Al tell Jacob about the possibility of a job with the circus?
4. Where is Jacob taken after it is decided he will remain with the circus to examine a sick animal?
5. Where does Jacob end up sitting to eat his dinner?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)