|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is coming to visit Jacob that day?
(a) One of his children.
(b) One of his great-grandchildren.
(c) One of his grandchildren.
2. Who finds bath water for Jacob?
3. What does this guest claim to have done as a young person?
(a) Cared for the performers in a circus.
(b) Worked with Fred Astaire.
(c) Carried water for elephants in the circus.
(d) Meet Valentino.
4. Why does Jacob go to Marlena and August's car in Chapter 7?
(a) Jacob wants to give August and Marlena an update on the sick horse.
(b) Jacob wants to apologize to August.
(c) Jacob is to have dinner with Marlena and August.
(d) Jacob wants to see Marlena again.
5. What does Jacob retrieve from the camel and zebra cars?
(a) The barrels of meat.
(b) The barrels of alcohol.
(c) The barrels of sweet grain.
(d) The barrels of valuables.
6. Why does Jacob return to school?
(a) He has nowhere else to go.
(b) He wants to make amends for his poor actions of the past.
(c) He wants to make his parents proud.
(d) He wants to be with his friends.
7. What happens when Marlena and August dance at dinner?
(a) August passes out from too much alcohol.
(b) Marlena becomes ill.
(c) August has some sort of fit.
(d) Marlena passes out from too much alcohol.
8. How many children does Jacob have?
9. Where does Jacob end up sitting to eat his dinner?
(a) At his regular table.
(b) At a new table.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the game room.
10. What is the only thing Jacob is able to take from his parents' home?
(a) His mother's wedding ring.
(b) His father's gold watch.
(c) His mother's cookbook.
(d) His father's car.
11. What makes Jacob ill in Chapter 7?
(a) The sweet grain smells too sweet.
(b) The heat irritates his hangover.
(c) The meat has spoiled.
(d) The smell of alcohol is overwhealming after a night of drinking.
12. Who is August, the man Marlena is speaking to in the prologue?
(a) Marlena's cousin
(b) Jacob's brother
(c) Marlena's husband
(d) Jacob's cousin
13. Why is class interrupted?
(a) There is a problem with the final exam.
(b) A student let a mouse go in class.
(c) One of the students made a rude remark.
(d) There is a message for Jacob.
14. What has changed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
(a) The plot. Chapter 2 introduces a new conflict.
(b) The setting. Chapter 2 takes place in Jacob's past.
(c) The characters. Chapter 2 contains a new main character.
(d) The tone. Chapter 2 begins after a new tragedy in Jacob's life.
15. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
(a) Once or twice a month.
(b) Every day.
(c) Once or twice a week.
(d) Once or twice a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes elderly Jacob in Chapter 5?
2. What does Camel tell Jacob he will have to learn to get along?
3. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
4. What is Jacob doing just before the stampede begins?
5. How does Jacob react to the nurse's response to his complaint?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)