|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacob see for the first time during the cooch show?
(a) A naked midget.
(b) A naked woman.
(c) A naked man.
(d) A nursing mother.
2. What does Jacob see someone do to August at the end of the prologue?
(a) Slap him for a rude comment
(b) Urge him to leave the tent
(c) Push him in front of a stampeding elephant
(d) Hit him on the head with an iron stake
3. Why does August become annoyed with Marlena over lunch in Chapter 9?
(a) Marlena feeds one of the displaced workers.
(b) Marlena ignores August's attempts at reconciliation.
(c) Marlena flirts openly with Jacob.
(d) Marlena refuses to make changes to her performances that August has recommended.
4. Where does Jacob go when he hears the music change?
(a) Jacob rushes to the train
(b) Jacob rushes to the big top
(c) Jacob runs toward town
(d) Jacob runs away from the big top
5. Who is coming to visit Jacob that day?
(a) One of his grandchildren.
(b) One of his great-grandchildren.
(d) One of his children.
6. Who does Camel attempt to speak to on Jacob's behalf?
(c) Uncle Al
7. Who is Marlena talking to when Jacob finds her?
8. How often does each relative come to see Jacob?
(a) Once or twice a month.
(b) Every day.
(c) Once or twice a year.
(d) Once or twice a week.
9. Why does Jacob help Marlena with her horse?
(a) He is a kind person who will help anyone.
(b) He wants to make a favorable impression on Uncle Al and August.
(c) He likes being in control of a situation.
(d) He likes her and does not want her to suffer.
10. Who does Jacob think of when he returns to his room?
(a) The nurse he has a crush on.
(b) His children.
(c) His girlfriend whom he left in the dining room with the new resident
(d) His wife of sixty years.
11. What does Jacob think about as he watches?
(a) If the circus acts are as good as Marlena's act was.
(b) If the new game is as boring as it looks.
(c) If the new dancer could be any worse.
(d) If the new movie is worth watching.
12. What does Jacob retrieve from the camel and zebra cars?
(a) The barrels of alcohol.
(b) The barrels of sweet grain.
(c) The barrels of valuables.
(d) The barrels of meat.
13. What new animal does Uncle Al buy?
(a) A giraffe.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A llama.
(d) A lion.
14. Where does Jacob find Marlena?
(a) In the big top
(b) In town
(c) In the menagerie tent
(d) On the train
15. What did Jacob's father do for a living?
(a) He was a store clerk.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a veterinarian.
(d) He was a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is kind to Jacob despite his foul mood at dinner?
2. What does Jacob miss about being older?
3. What makes Jacob ill in Chapter 7?
4. What does Camel tell Jacob he will have to learn to get along?
5. What school does Jacob attend?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)