|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is kind to Jacob despite his foul mood at dinner?
(a) The guest from dinner.
(b) The nurse.
(c) A female resident.
(d) His wife.
2. Why was Jacob's father unable to pay his mortgage?
(a) The mortgage payments were too high.
(b) He could no longer work due to an injury.
(c) His clients were unable to pay him in cash.
(d) He could no longer work due to the depression.
3. What punishment does August give Jacob?
(a) August forces Jacob to leave the train.
(b) August tells Jacob to polish his boots.
(c) August makes Jacob feed the big cats causing him to be bitten by a toothless lion.
(d) August forces Jacob to muck out the animal stalls.
4. What does Rosemary help Jacob do next?
(a) Rosemary helps Jacob take a shower.
(b) Rosemary helps Jacob out of bed.
(c) Rosemary helps Jacob brush his hair.
(d) Rosemary helps Jacob trim his toenails.
5. Who is coming to visit Jacob that day?
(a) One of his great-grandchildren.
(b) One of his grandchildren.
(d) One of his children.
6. Who is Marlena, the woman Jacob is looking for in the prologue?
(a) Jacob's sister
(b) Jacob's cousin
(c) Jacob's friend
(d) Jacob's girlfriend
7. What problem does this announcement cause for August?
(a) August must train a new animal quickly.
(b) August is forced to give up some of his animals.
(c) August does not have time to procure food for the animals.
(d) August is going to lose half his staff.
8. Why does young Jacob meet with August in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Jacob meets with August to get his meal tickets.
(b) Jacom meets with August to thank him for his kindness the night before.
(c) Jacob meets with August in order to check on the sick horse.
(d) Jacob meets with August to discuss his new job duties.
9. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
(a) Barrels of sweet grain for the horses.
(b) Barrels of valuables taken from Uncle Al.
(c) Barrels of raw meat.
(d) Barrels of illegal alcohol.
10. Where does Jacob meet up with Marlena the next morning in Chapter 7?
(a) Her private car.
(b) The horse car.
(c) The cookhouse.
(d) The menagerie tent.
11. What does the doctor prescribe for Jacob after his outburst at dinner?
(a) An antipsychotic pill.
(b) Time with a counselor.
(c) A pill to help with memory disorders.
(d) An antidepressant pill that Jacob does not want.
12. Why does Jacob dislike this guest?
(a) He knows he is lying and he is jealous of the attention he is getting.
(b) He remembers this person from his own youth.
(c) The guest is disrespectful to Jacob.
(d) He dislikes braggarts.
13. What does Uncle Al order be done with Jacob?
(a) Uncle Al wants Jacob placed in the animal car.
(b) Uncle Al wants Jacob given a job with the clowns.
(c) Uncle Al wants Jacob handed over to the police.
(d) Uncle Al wants Jacob thrown from the train.
14. Where does Jacob go when he hears the music change?
(a) Jacob rushes to the big top
(b) Jacob runs away from the big top
(c) Jacob rushes to the train
(d) Jacob runs toward town
15. What does Jacob complain to the nurse about?
(a) The noise at the other tables.
(b) A pain in his chest.
(c) The music playing in the background.
(d) His mushy food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
2. What does Jacob recommend be done for the horse?
3. What draws Jacob to the window?
4. What happens when Marlena and August dance at dinner?
5. What does Uncle Al announce to the circus crew and performers?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)