|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Al tell Jacob about the possibility of a job with the circus?
(a) Jacob has a job, but he will not be paid for a trial period of several weeks.
(b) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave, they cannot afford another worker.
(c) Uncle Al tells Jacob to leave the train, he is not a good enough vet to justify the expense of keeping him on.
(d) Uncle Al gives Jacob a job, but it is dependent on his ability to save the horse.
2. What is a cooch show in the circus?
(a) A show where women strip for customers.
(b) A show where animals do tricks.
(c) A show where a woman sings into a conch shell.
(d) A show where a woman does tricks on horseback.
3. What new animal does Uncle Al buy?
(a) A llama.
(b) A lion.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A giraffe.
4. Who is Jacob, the character introduced in the prologue?
(a) A cook.
(b) A circus workman.
(c) A circus performer.
(d) A doctor.
5. What does Jacob miss about being older?
(a) His health.
(b) His young appearance.
(c) His independence.
(d) His freedom.
6. Where does Jacob go when he hears the music change?
(a) Jacob runs toward town
(b) Jacob rushes to the big top
(c) Jacob runs away from the big top
(d) Jacob rushes to the train
7. How many children does Jacob have?
8. What does August have the men store with the camels and zebras?
(a) Barrels of illegal alcohol.
(b) Barrels of sweet grain for the horses.
(c) Barrels of raw meat.
(d) Barrels of valuables taken from Uncle Al.
9. Why has Jacob come to live at the assisted-living center?
(a) Jacob did not want to live with any of his children.
(b) His family felt he could not live alone anymore and none of them could take him in.
(c) Jacob did not want to live alone anymore.
(d) Jacob lost his house in a foreclosure and had no where else to go.
10. Why does Jacob dislike this guest?
(a) He dislikes braggarts.
(b) The guest is disrespectful to Jacob.
(c) He remembers this person from his own youth.
(d) He knows he is lying and he is jealous of the attention he is getting.
11. What surprise does Rosemary add to Jacob's breakfast tray?
(a) Rosemary adds grits to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(b) Rosemary adds pancakes to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(c) Rosemary adds an apple to Jacob's breakfast tray.
(d) Rosemary adds a bowl of cream to Jacob's breakfast tray.
12. What does Jacob think about as he watches?
(a) If the new dancer could be any worse.
(b) If the circus acts are as good as Marlena's act was.
(c) If the new movie is worth watching.
(d) If the new game is as boring as it looks.
13. Why is Jacob removed from the dining room?
(a) He is finished eating.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) He argues with the new resident.
(d) He is rude to the nurses.
14. Why does Camel drink jake?
(a) It was a gift.
(b) It is cheap.
(c) It is tasty.
(d) It is Prohibition and it is the only alcohol he can find.
15. Who does the bath water found for Jacob belong to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Jacob not change his clothes the next morning?
2. What person in Jacob's life has recently died?
3. What does Jacob see someone do to August at the end of the prologue?
4. What impresses Jacob about a woman he sees in the menagerie tent in Chapter 3?
5. What holds Jacob's attention in class in Chapter 2?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)