|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does the car have that ChutesAndLadders is trying to sell?
2. Whom does Elliot tell Yazmin to call after she hangs up with the 911 operator?
3. When Elliot poses as Haikumom online and Orangutan asks for a poem, what question does Elliot type instead?
4. What is Fountainhead's real name?
5. What major water feature is present in the city where Orangutan was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Clay/ChutesandLadders's appeal to John/Fountainhead to take some action in relation to caring for Odessa/Haikumom?
2. How does the play's theme of the relationship between past and present play out in Scene Ten when three different events happen onstage simultaneously?
3. What is the significance of Odessa/Haikumom's choice to list John/Fountainhead as her emergency contact?
4. Why does John/Fountainhead lie about how he knows Odessa/Haikumom when meeting Elliot and Yazmin?
5. What do Odessa/Haikumom and John/Fountainhead find that they have in common when they first meet at the diner in person?
6. How does Scene Eleven display characteristics of the plot arc phase of rising action?
7. What simile does Odessa/Haikumom use to describe trying to stay clean when she states that the support forum helps her fill the hours?
8. How does Odessa/Haikumom respond to John/Fountainhead's admission that he had minimized the depth of his addiction in his first post on the forum?
9. How is the importance of human connection highlighted in Scene Thirteen when Clay/ChutesandLadders plans to meet Madeleine/Orangutan in Japan and John/Fountainhead reaches out to the other members of the Addiction Support forum from the hospital?
10. What kinds of qualities does the audience surmise about Ginny's character through hearing Elliot and Yaz deliver her eulogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the existence of two co-protagonists in the characters of Elliot and Yazmin mesh with the play's overall themes and messages? Create a clear and specific claim that states the playwright's purpose in presenting the audience with two protagonists, rather than just one. Use concrete details from the play to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Study the overall structure of the play, examining how the two separate stories are interwoven by the playwright and how the structure of that interweaving changes over the course of the play. What effect does the structure of play ultimately have on its meaning? Be sure to support your analysis of the play's structure using concrete details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's message regarding the nature of technology? Write a strong claim that states the play's message about technology and support your claim with concrete details from the play.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)