|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orangutan figure out that someone else is posing as Haikumom online?
(a) The typist does not misspell any words.
(b) The typist does not censor her when she swears.
(c) The typist cannot produce a haiku poem when prompted.
(d) The typist does not use any emoticons.
2. What was the name of Elliot's two-year-old little sister who died as a result of her mother not giving her a spoonful of water every hour when she had influenza?
(a) Mary Jo.
(b) Mary Jane.
(c) Mary Lou.
(d) Mary Margaret.
3. What travel-related location does Odessa's unconscious mind think she finds herself during her drug overdose?
(a) A bus terminal.
(b) An airline terminal.
(c) A cruise ship boarding plank.
(d) A train station.
4. What is Haikumom's job?
5. What do Yazmin and Elliot see when they turn on the lights inside Odessa's house?
(a) A group of people whom they have never seen.
(b) Odessa in a heap on the floor.
(c) An empty living room in disarray.
(d) A single chrysanthemum lying in the doorway.
6. When Orangutan reveals online that Elliot has struggled with pain medication addiction in the past, how many times does she say he had been hospitalized due to drug overdoses?
7. What feature does Elliot say Ginny had used her carpentry skills to build on 47 different occasions?
(a) Swing sets at domestic violence shelters.
(b) Wheelchair ramps.
(c) Skateboard ramps.
(d) Beds at homeless shelters.
8. When Orangutan chats online with ChutesAndLadders from the Sapporo train station, what subject does she tell him she has just researched?
(a) The construction of the Sapporo train station.
(b) The straightening of all rivers in Hokkaido.
(c) The flattening of all hills in Hokkaido.
(d) The construction of the giant hydroelectric dam in Hokkaido.
9. When Odessa does not answer her door, how do Elliot and Yazmin know that she is in her house?
(a) They hear her cell phone ringing when they call her.
(b) They hear her shouting.
(c) They hear her tea kettle whistling.
(d) They see on their phones that she is posting online in the Addiction Support forum.
10. What event does ChutesAndLadders name as the event that once ended a 5-year stretch of sobriety in his life?
(a) Burying his wife.
(b) Losing his job.
(c) Going to see his son.
(d) Going to see his daughter.
11. For how many months does Elliot reveal to Yazmin that his struggle with a severe addiction to pain medication lasted?
12. What action does Orangutan vow to take if she stays sober for three months?
(a) To throw herself a big party.
(b) To find her birth parents.
(c) To buy herself a new car.
(d) To enroll in nursing school.
13. What word does Orangutan use to describe ChutesAndLadders when he finally calls his son?
14. What happens immediately after Yazmin and Odessa look up and see a brilliant light above them?
(a) Elliot lies down.
(b) Odessa slips into Yazmin's arms.
(c) Odessa screams.
(d) Odessa disappears.
15. What does Elliot find on the floor of Odessa's house that causes him to think she has suffered a drug overdose?
(a) A pill bottle.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A Brillo pad.
(d) A needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does ChutesAndLadders give for discouraging Orangutan from visiting her birth parents?
2. What year is the car ChutesAndLadders is trying to sell?
3. What feature of his car does ChutesAndLadders mention last as a way to tempt the prospective buyer who is on the phone?
4. Who ultimately gives the eulogy at Ginny's funeral?
5. How many arrests for civil disobedience did Ginny have on her record during her lifetime?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)