|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which description best fits the article on "The Veidt Method"?
2. What function does this section perform in the narrative?
3. In the Black Freighter, what happens when the marooned man is on the beach near his town?
4. On what day was this paper published?
5. The leading article is written by . . . ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the Veidt Method?
2. Explain the inclusion of extracts from Sally Jupiter's scrapbook at this point in the novel.
3. What is the connection between "Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas" and the events in this chapter?
4. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
5. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
6. How is the importance for Dan of his past costumed hero days conveyed to the reader/responder?
7. What new material is provided in this section?
8. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
9. In what ways do Rorschach and Dan/Night Owl act resourcefully in this chapter?
10. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you believe is most important in the novel? Justify your choice by referring closely to the text. What are this character's beliefs and attitudes and in what ways does he (or she) affect the story? Do you like the character and do you agree with the choices this person makes?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)