|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the sailor in The Black Freighter comic finally makes it home?
2. What is specially significant about these documents?
3. Laurie's medical scans reveal . . .
4. What does Laurie find interesting at Dan's home?
5. How does the report comment on Rorschach's notebook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
2. What is unusual about Sally's response to interviewer questions about her rape by The Comedian?
3. How is the importance for Dan of his past costumed hero days conveyed to the reader/responder?
4. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
5. What concrete facts do we learn from this section of the novel?
6. What new material is provided in this section?
7. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
8. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
9. Would you agree that the new world order would be a more truthful one?
10. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this a novel that elicits in the reader feelings of empathy for the characters? In other words, do we actually care what happens to them? Choose a character you feel arouses empathy in the reader/responder. Show how Moore creates that empathy. To what extent is the artwork a contributing factor?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you believe is most important in the novel? Justify your choice by referring closely to the text. What are this character's beliefs and attitudes and in what ways does he (or she) affect the story? Do you like the character and do you agree with the choices this person makes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the place of color symbolism in the novel. What is color symbolism? Why is it significant? What can it tell us? What does it tell us in Watchmen? Be as thorough as possible in your answer.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)