|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day do the events of this chapter occur?
2. In the context of Watchmen, what is a masquerade?
3. Who interviews Adrian Veidt?
4. What is "The Veidt Method"
5. Identify the interviewer's attitude to Veidt.
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree that the new world order would be a more truthful one?
2. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
3. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
4. Explain the inclusion of extracts from Sally Jupiter's scrapbook at this point in the novel.
5. Comment on the structure of this chapter.
6. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
7. Explain what is happening in the wider world as Laurie and Dan begin their relationship.
8. In what ways do Rorschach and Dan/Night Owl act resourcefully in this chapter?
9. What concrete facts do we learn from this section of the novel?
10. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Review Rorschach's role in the novel. What does he represent? Is his death inevitable? What does his death represent?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)