|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day was this paper published?
2. Who interviews Adrian Veidt?
3. Ih what form are these documents?
4. What is Rorschach's response to the charges?
5. Who tries to sell something to Bernhard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
2. What is important about the Veidt Method?
3. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
4. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
5. What new material is provided in this section?
6. What concrete facts do we learn from this section of the novel?
7. Comment on the structure of this chapter.
8. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
9. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
10. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in the novel. Give special attention to the symbols you find most powerful. Write in detail on at least three symbols, for example, Nostalgia perfume, the smiley button.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on characterization. What is meant by "flat" and "rounded" characters? Is the difference important? Discuss the characterization in Watchmen. Focus on two characters in particular.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)