|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dan's flight ship called?
2. With what is Rorchach charged?
3. What motivated the Nazi punks to attack and kill Hollis Mason?
4. Who compiled the scrapbook?
5. Who created the drawing of a man and a woman merging into one while having sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree that the new world order would be a more truthful one?
2. What is important about the Veidt Method?
3. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
4. Comment on the structure of this chapter.
5. Describe what is going on in the prison.
6. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
7. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
8. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)