|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the password for Veidt's computer system?
2. What is Laurie's reaction to Jon's information about himself?
3. What is making Max Shea happy as he boards the boat?
4. What is the significance of the information given in this section?
5. According to the article, what do scientists often fail to appreciate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
2. Explain the inclusion of extracts from Sally Jupiter's scrapbook at this point in the novel.
3. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
4. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
5. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
6. Describe what is going on in the prison.
7. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
8. What is the connection between "Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas" and the events in this chapter?
9. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
10. In what ways do Rorschach and Dan/Night Owl act resourcefully in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on characterization. What is meant by "flat" and "rounded" characters? Is the difference important? Discuss the characterization in Watchmen. Focus on two characters in particular.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)