|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the article, what do scientists often fail to appreciate?
2. What is the paper's attitude to costumed heroes?
3. What is Laurie doing when Detective Fine arrives?
4. What is specially significant about these documents?
5. What can we assume about "The Veidt Method"?
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you believe is most important in the novel? Justify your choice by referring closely to the text. What are this character's beliefs and attitudes and in what ways does he (or she) affect the story? Do you like the character and do you agree with the choices this person makes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)