|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is specially significant about these documents?
2. What happens when the sailor in The Black Freighter comic finally makes it home?
3. How is Jon's giant mechanism powered?
4. Identify the interviewer's attitude to Veidt.
5. What disturbing news is broadcast on TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
2. Explain the inclusion of extracts from Sally Jupiter's scrapbook at this point in the novel.
3. Explain what is happening in the wider world as Laurie and Dan begin their relationship.
4. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
5. In what ways do Rorschach and Dan/Night Owl act resourcefully in this chapter?
6. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
7. Comment on the discontinuing of Nostalgia and its replacement with Millennium perfume.
8. What new material is provided in this section?
9. Would you agree that the new world order would be a more truthful one?
10. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the place of color symbolism in the novel. What is color symbolism? Why is it significant? What can it tell us? What does it tell us in Watchmen? Be as thorough as possible in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"Watchmen deals with a corrupt world." In what ways is this world corrupt? Is it more, or less, corrupt at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of minor characters in the novel. Choose two minor characters and evaluate his or her role in the novel. What is the characters' influence/affect on other characters? On the working out of the story? On the reader--i.e., you?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)