|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interviews Adrian Veidt?
2. What significant item does Laurie take with her when she goes with Jon?
3. What does Laurie find interesting at Dan's home?
4. Which description best fits the article on "The Veidt Method"?
5. How is Jon's giant mechanism powered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you agree that the new world order would be a more truthful one?
2. Explain the inclusion of extracts from Sally Jupiter's scrapbook at this point in the novel.
3. What is important about the Veidt Method?
4. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
5. What new material is provided in this section?
6. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
7. What concrete facts do we learn from this section of the novel?
8. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
9. Comment on the discontinuing of Nostalgia and its replacement with Millennium perfume.
10. What is unusual about Sally's response to interviewer questions about her rape by The Comedian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Power, with its corruptive effect, is an important theme in this graphic novel. Write a personal essay called "The misuse of power." You should refer closely to the events of Watchmen to support your point of view. You could compare Watchmen events with some taking place in the modern world (i.e., our real world).
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of irony in the graphic novel. It will be important in your discussion to comment upon the death of Rorschach. How does irony work to enhance meaning in the novel? Give at least three examples and refer closely to the text.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)