|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the explosion start?
2. What information had this interviewer previously provided?
3. In the Black Freighter comic, what happens when the sailor abandons his raft?
4. What is the password for Veidt's computer system?
5. On what day do the events of this chapter occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new material is provided in this section?
2. Explain what is happening in the wider world as Laurie and Dan begin their relationship.
3. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
4. What is the connection between "Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas" and the events in this chapter?
5. Describe what is going on in the prison.
6. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
7. What is important about the Veidt Method?
8. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
9. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
10. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
Essay Topic 2
"Watchmen deals with a corrupt world." In what ways is this world corrupt? Is it more, or less, corrupt at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Masks, masquerades, things not being as they seem--all this is characteristic of the graphic novel Watchmen. Is there any advantage to engaging in the elaborate deceptions depicted here? What do their costumes achieve for the heroes? For the society in which they live?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)