|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dan's flight ship called?
2. Who was the author of the inter-office memo?
3. What is the significance of the information given in this section?
4. What will the new brand of perfume be called?
5. In the context of Watchmen, what is a masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do Rorschach and Dan/Night Owl act resourcefully in this chapter?
2. What concrete facts do we learn from this section of the novel?
3. Describe what is going on in the prison.
4. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
5. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
6. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
7. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
8. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
9. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
10. How is the importance for Dan of his past costumed hero days conveyed to the reader/responder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The graphic novel Watchmen contains features of post-modernism in its structure. Identify postmodern features and discuss two specific examples in some detail. Do you personally enjoy this technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character Dan Dreiberg in Watchmen. What sort of person is he? Comment on his relationships. How crucial is he to the story? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)