|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important thing does President Nixon ask Jon to do?
2. Where does this chapter take place?
3. Of what does the Black Freighter protagonist build his raft?
4. Who was the first-ever real-life costumed hero?
5. Who contacted Hollis after his retirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Laurence Shexnayder's interest in Sally?
2. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
3. What is the result of Rorschach's visit to Moloch?
4. What is the problem with Jon and time?
5. What was the outcome for the other costumed heroes after their appearances before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee?
6. What happened to Dollar Bill?
7. What was the situation for costumed heroes after the 1950s?
8. What is significant about "The Watchmaker"?
9. What is the topic of conversation between the two detectives as they leave the scene of the murder?
10. In which state was Hollis Mason born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a thoughtful essay in which you discuss the relative power of the major characters in the novel. Who are the most powerful? In what ways do they exercise their power? In what way or ways would you characterize their power? How do they use power in their personal relationships and in the wider world?
Essay Topic 2
"Watchmen deals with a corrupt world." In what ways is this world corrupt? Is it more, or less, corrupt at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)