|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How significant is Hollis in the story?
2. Where does this chapter take place?
3. What type of publication is Under the Hood?
4. Which costumed hero was killed during a bank robbery?
5. What important thing does President Nixon ask Jon to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Adrian Veidt?
2. What is the main focus of this section?
3. How does Laurie react to her mother's story?
4. Account for the trouble at the TV studios during Dr Manhattan's interview.
5. Why did Hollis take the step of becoming a costumed hero?
6. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
7. What is the result of Rorschach's visit to Moloch?
8. What is the basis for the statement "God exists and he's American"?
9. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
10. What prompts Laurie to walk out on Jon and go to Dan's place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
Essay Topic 2
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)