Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hollis do at age 23?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. What was the focus of the riots Dan helped to suppress?
4. What was Jon's father's trade?
5. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
2. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
3. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
4. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
5. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
6. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
7. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
8. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What was the cause of the murder/suicide investigated by Detectives Fine and Bourquin?
Masks, masquerades, things not being as they seem--all this is characteristic of the graphic novel Watchmen. Is there any advantage to engaging in the elaborate deceptions depicted here? What do their costumes achieve for the heroes? For the society in which they live?
Is this a novel that elicits in the reader feelings of empathy for the characters? In other words, do we actually care what happens to them? Choose a character you feel arouses empathy in the reader/responder. Show how Moore creates that empathy. To what extent is the artwork a contributing factor?
Power, with its corruptive effect, is an important theme in this graphic novel. Write a personal essay called "The misuse of power." You should refer closely to the events of Watchmen to support your point of view. You could compare Watchmen events with some taking place in the modern world (i.e., our real world).
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)