|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jon's father throw out the window?
2. What did Hollis do at age 23?
3. Why is this autobiography important?
4. About which group does this extract provide information?
5. Why is it necessary to have a sham funeral for Jon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main focus of this section?
2. How does Laurie react to her mother's story?
3. Can any plot significance be attached to this section of the novel?
4. Why did Hollis take the step of becoming a costumed hero?
5. In what way is this extract from Hollis' autobiography important in the novel?
6. What happened to Dollar Bill?
7. What is the topic of conversation between the two detectives as they leave the scene of the murder?
8. What was the outcome for the other costumed heroes after their appearances before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee?
9. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
10. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the place of color symbolism in the novel. What is color symbolism? Why is it significant? What can it tell us? What does it tell us in Watchmen? Be as thorough as possible in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Review Rorschach's role in the novel. What does he represent? Is his death inevitable? What does his death represent?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)