|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hollis do at age 23?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. What was the focus of the riots Dan helped to suppress?
4. What was Jon's father's trade?
5. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
2. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
3. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
4. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
5. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
6. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
7. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
8. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What was the cause of the murder/suicide investigated by Detectives Fine and Bourquin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in the novel. Give special attention to the symbols you find most powerful. Write in detail on at least three symbols, for example, Nostalgia perfume, the smiley button.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the place of color symbolism in the novel. What is color symbolism? Why is it significant? What can it tell us? What does it tell us in Watchmen? Be as thorough as possible in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
"Watchmen deals with a corrupt world." In what ways is this world corrupt? Is it more, or less, corrupt at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)