|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Arizona, Dr Manhattan retrieves something of value to him. What is this?
2. Of what does the Black Freighter protagonist build his raft?
3. What did Hollis do at age 23?
4. What degree does Jon gain at university?
5. Where does this chapter take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Rorschach's visit to Moloch?
2. Even with Dr Manhattan as a vital asset, the United States is still vulnerable. Why is that?
3. What is the basis for the statement "God exists and he's American"?
4. What prompts Laurie to walk out on Jon and go to Dan's place?
5. In which state was Hollis Mason born?
6. What happens when Rorschach gets into Blake's apartment?
7. Why was the Keene Act passed?
8. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
9. How does Chapter 1 conclude?
10. What made Hollis decode to become a costumed hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Masks, masquerades, things not being as they seem--all this is characteristic of the graphic novel Watchmen. Is there any advantage to engaging in the elaborate deceptions depicted here? What do their costumes achieve for the heroes? For the society in which they live?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of irony in the graphic novel. It will be important in your discussion to comment upon the death of Rorschach. How does irony work to enhance meaning in the novel? Give at least three examples and refer closely to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)