|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jon return to the lab on the night of his accident?
2. Who buys the New Frontiersman from Bernard?
3. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
4. How does Jon account for his reappearance?
5. What important thing does President Nixon ask Jon to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can any plot significance be attached to this section of the novel?
2. How does Laurie react to her mother's story?
3. In which state was Hollis Mason born?
4. What is the problem with Jon and time?
5. Do you think that Hooded Justice was right not to testify to the House UnAmerican Activities Commission?
6. What happens when Rorschach gets into Blake's apartment?
7. What is the basis for the statement "God exists and he's American"?
8. What happened to Dollar Bill?
9. What is the result of Rorschach's visit to Moloch?
10. What is significant about "The Watchmaker"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of minor characters in Watchmen. Who are they and what do they show us about other characters? Do they advance the story? Are they necessary? Can you imagine the novel without these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the character Dan Dreiberg in Watchmen. What sort of person is he? Comment on his relationships. How crucial is he to the story? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)