|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hollis do at age 23?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. What was the focus of the riots Dan helped to suppress?
4. What was Jon's father's trade?
5. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
2. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
3. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
4. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
5. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
6. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
7. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
8. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What was the cause of the murder/suicide investigated by Detectives Fine and Bourquin?
Essay Topic 1
Review Rorschach's role in the novel. What does he represent? Is his death inevitable? What does his death represent?
Essay Topic 2
Is this a novel that elicits in the reader feelings of empathy for the characters? In other words, do we actually care what happens to them? Choose a character you feel arouses empathy in the reader/responder. Show how Moore creates that empathy. To what extent is the artwork a contributing factor?
Essay Topic 3
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)