|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dr Long hope to elicit answers from Rorschach?
2. Who damaged Dan's lock?
3. Why did a man slaughter his wife and family?
4. Which newspaper interviews Janey Slater?
5. Why is it necessary to have a sham funeral for Jon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Jon's story, what is the significance of Janey Slater?
2. Why did Hollis take the step of becoming a costumed hero?
3. Account for the trouble at the TV studios during Dr Manhattan's interview.
4. To what extent was America victorious in the Vietnam War?
5. Who is Adrian Veidt?
6. What prompts Laurie to walk out on Jon and go to Dan's place?
7. In what way is this extract from Hollis' autobiography important in the novel?
8. Do you think that Hooded Justice was right not to testify to the House UnAmerican Activities Commission?
9. Why is it that Dr Manhattan is unavailable to help his country in the crisis it is facing?
10. What is the problem with Jon and time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of minor characters in the novel. Choose two minor characters and evaluate his or her role in the novel. What is the characters' influence/affect on other characters? On the working out of the story? On the reader--i.e., you?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on characterization. What is meant by "flat" and "rounded" characters? Is the difference important? Discuss the characterization in Watchmen. Focus on two characters in particular.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)