|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the correct statement?
2. Who was the first-ever real-life costumed hero?
3. One thing the article says about Tales of the Black Freighter is . . .
4. In what year did Hollis read about costumed heroes?
5. What was the boy Rorschach's experience after being placed in care?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
2. What is the main focus of this section?
3. What is the problem with Jon and time?
4. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
5. What prompts Laurie to walk out on Jon and go to Dan's place?
6. Even with Dr Manhattan as a vital asset, the United States is still vulnerable. Why is that?
7. Account for the trouble at the TV studios during Dr Manhattan's interview.
8. Who is Dr Manhattan?
9. In which state was Hollis Mason born?
10. What was the outcome for the other costumed heroes after their appearances before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
Essay Topic 3
The graphic novel Watchmen contains features of post-modernism in its structure. Identify postmodern features and discuss two specific examples in some detail. Do you personally enjoy this technique? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)