|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do these pages describe?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. Who damaged Dan's lock?
4. Who intervened to save Sally from rape?
5. How did the United States come to win the Vietnam War in 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dr Manhattan?
2. What is the main focus of this section?
3. Even with Dr Manhattan as a vital asset, the United States is still vulnerable. Why is that?
4. What is the topic of conversation between the two detectives as they leave the scene of the murder?
5. What was the situation for costumed heroes after the 1950s?
6. How does Laurie react to her mother's story?
7. What is Laurence Shexnayder's interest in Sally?
8. Account for the trouble at the TV studios during Dr Manhattan's interview.
9. What was the outcome for the other costumed heroes after their appearances before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee?
10. What happened to Dollar Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the morality of Jon (Dr Manhattan) and Walter (Rorschach). You will need to describe each character's morality, providing evidence from the text. You will then need to evaluate each and comment on the way each character's moral outlook has influenced their behavior as well as the outcome for the world.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of minor characters in the novel. Choose two minor characters and evaluate his or her role in the novel. What is the characters' influence/affect on other characters? On the working out of the story? On the reader--i.e., you?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of women in Watchmen. Who are the female characters in the novel? What is their relationship with the male characters? What is their relationship in the events of the novel? Are their roles crucial? How might a feminist critic respond to this novel?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)