|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hollis do at age 23?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. What was the focus of the riots Dan helped to suppress?
4. What was Jon's father's trade?
5. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
2. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
3. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
4. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
5. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
6. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
7. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
8. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What was the cause of the murder/suicide investigated by Detectives Fine and Bourquin?
Essay Topic 1
The graphic novel Watchmen contains features of post-modernism in its structure. Identify postmodern features and discuss two specific examples in some detail. Do you personally enjoy this technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of irony in the graphic novel. It will be important in your discussion to comment upon the death of Rorschach. How does irony work to enhance meaning in the novel? Give at least three examples and refer closely to the text.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)