|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hollis get to New York?
2. Who intervened to save Sally from rape?
3. What opinion does the Professor have of Dr Manhattan's super-powers?
4. Dan learned that The Comedian had been distressed about something. What was that?
5. In Arizona, Dr Manhattan retrieves something of value to him. What is this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the outcome for the other costumed heroes after their appearances before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee?
2. Can any plot significance be attached to this section of the novel?
3. What happens when Rorschach gets into Blake's apartment?
4. What is Laurence Shexnayder's interest in Sally?
5. What is the topic of conversation between the two detectives as they leave the scene of the murder?
6. Do you think that Hooded Justice was right not to testify to the House UnAmerican Activities Commission?
7. Why is it that Dr Manhattan is unavailable to help his country in the crisis it is facing?
8. To what extent was America victorious in the Vietnam War?
9. In what way is this extract from Hollis' autobiography important in the novel?
10. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Is this a novel that elicits in the reader feelings of empathy for the characters? In other words, do we actually care what happens to them? Choose a character you feel arouses empathy in the reader/responder. Show how Moore creates that empathy. To what extent is the artwork a contributing factor?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the place of color symbolism in the novel. What is color symbolism? Why is it significant? What can it tell us? What does it tell us in Watchmen? Be as thorough as possible in your answer.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)