|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason was Silhouette expelled from the group?
2. For how long has Richard Nixon been President?
3. What step did Hollis take in 1952?
4. Who wrote the text for Tales of the Black Freighter?
5. Why does Jon return to the lab on the night of his accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
2. Do you think that Hooded Justice was right not to testify to the House UnAmerican Activities Commission?
3. In Jon's story, what is the significance of Janey Slater?
4. How does Chapter 1 conclude?
5. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
6. What made Hollis decode to become a costumed hero?
7. What is Laurence Shexnayder's interest in Sally?
8. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
9. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
10. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Masks, masquerades, things not being as they seem--all this is characteristic of the graphic novel Watchmen. Is there any advantage to engaging in the elaborate deceptions depicted here? What do their costumes achieve for the heroes? For the society in which they live?
Essay Topic 3
Using events in the novel, write an obituary for Rorscarch. Model your style on the obits section of, say, The New York Times.
Be sure to use the correct level of language. Cover his early life, his exploits and his beliefs.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)