Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hollis do at age 23?
2. Hollis became which costumed hero?
3. What was the focus of the riots Dan helped to suppress?
4. What was Jon's father's trade?
5. How was Edward Morgan Blake murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
2. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
3. What was unusual about the case of Night Owl?
4. What problems are being dealt with by President Richard Nixon
5. Is there anything ironic about the interview between Dr Long and Rorschach?
6. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
7. In what ways is Dr Manhattan an asset to the United States?
8. What was the purpose of Captain Metropolis' meeting?
9. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
10. What was the cause of the murder/suicide investigated by Detectives Fine and Bourquin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic. In what ways is this connected to the main story? Do you think it is a useful device? Are we able to empathize at all with its main character in the way that we do with, say, Dan or Rorschach? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the world of Watchmen. How different is it from the real American society of today? Compare the ways in which it is different from America today and comment on any features that are similar. Focus on events, moral/ethical values, the international scene. What, if anything, do you think is being conveyed to the reader/responder by the composers of Watchmen Comment on story and art?
Essay Topic 3
Is this a novel that elicits in the reader feelings of empathy for the characters? In other words, do we actually care what happens to them? Choose a character you feel arouses empathy in the reader/responder. Show how Moore creates that empathy. To what extent is the artwork a contributing factor?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)