|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Black Freighter comic, what happens when the sailor abandons his raft?
(a) He doesn't sink, but appears to walk on the sea.
(b) He swims to shore.
(c) He doesn't sink, but grabs onto a piece of wood and floats to shore.
(d) He fights off a shark and swims to shore.
2. What information had this interviewer previously provided?
(a) Dr Manhattan's secret life.
(b) President Nixon's plans for war.
(c) A story about Laurie's evil twin.
(d) A list of people supposedly given cancer by Dr Manhattan.
3. What disturbing news is broadcast on TV?
(a) Afghanistan has invaded Russia and Pakistan.
(b) Russia has invaded Afghanistan and is advancing towards Pakistan.
(c) The United States has invaded Afghanistan and Russia.
(d) Pakistan has invaded Afghanistan and Iraq.
4. What motivated the Nazi punks to attack and kill Hollis Mason?
(a) Detective Fine paid them to do it.
(b) They were given a contract by a local gangster.
(c) They were inflamed by anti-costumed hero rhetoric in the press.
(d) They were high on drugs.
5. What do we learn about Hollis Mason's autobiography?
(a) That its publication has been suppressed.
(b) That its publication was expensive for Hollis.
(c) That it has recently been published.
(d) That its publication has been paid for by an anonymous source.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what publication does the article appear?
2. The leading article is written by . . . ?
3. What is Dan's flight ship called?
4. On what day was this paper published?
5. Why were Laurie's parents fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between "Blood from the Shoulder of Pallas" and the events in this chapter?
2. In the context of the novel, what function does this section fulfill?
3. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
4. What is significant about the belongings Laurie takes with her when she goes to Mars with Jon?
5. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
6. Comment on the structure of this chapter.
7. Explain what is happening in the wider world as Laurie and Dan begin their relationship.
8. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
9. According to Dan Dreiberg, what do scientists lack?
10. Describe what is going on in the prison.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)