|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Laurie's reaction to Jon's information about himself?
(a) She doesn't believe it and thinks he's pretentious.
(b) She can't fully comprehend it.
(c) She understands and empathises with him.
(d) She thinks he will overcome his problems with her help.
2. Who created the drawing of a man and a woman merging into one while having sex?
(a) Dr Malcolm Long.
(b) Detective Fine.
(c) Diego Garcia.
(d) The child Walter Kovacs.
3. Where can "The Veidt Method" often be seen advertised?
(a) On the back cover of Tales of the Black Freighter.
(b) In America Today.
(c) On the back page of The New Frontiersman.
(d) On page 3 of the National Enquirer.
4. On the night of the rescue, what other people are dressed in costume?
(a) Fake costumed heroes.
(b) Actors performing Shakespeare in Central Park.
(c) Nazi punks -- as Hitler.
(d) Children dressed for Halloween.
5. According to the article, what do scientists often fail to appreciate?
(a) The mysterious ways their salaries are paid.
(b) The mystery and beauty of life.
(c) The mysteries of time and space.
(d) The mystery and beauty of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbing news is broadcast on TV?
2. What can we assume about "The Veidt Method"?
3. What is the paper's attitude to costumed heroes?
4. Who was the author of the document presented here?
5. What function does this section perform in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the Veidt Method?
2. How is this issue's rant connected to the plot of the novel?
3. Why is Detective Fine now convinced that Dan is a costumed hero?
4. Comment on the discontinuing of Nostalgia and its replacement with Millennium perfume.
5. How is the importance for Dan of his past costumed hero days conveyed to the reader/responder?
6. Comment on the importance of this section to the novel as a whole.
7. What new material is provided in this section?
8. What is Veidt's plan and what do you think are its chances of success?
9. Comment on the importance of this chapter for the novel as a whole.
10. What is the political stance of the New Frontiersman?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)