|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
2. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
3. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
4. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
5. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
2. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
3. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
4. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
5. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
6. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
7. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
8. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
9. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
10. Who is Annie Tyler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)