|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol returns in Chapter 11 as a feeling that Tea Cake awakens in Janie?
2. What does Janie find under Tea Cake's pillow?
3. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
4. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
5. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 3
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)