|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
2. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
3. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
4. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
5. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
2. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
5. Who is Annie Tyler?
6. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
7. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
8. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
9. How does Tea Cake die?
10. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)