|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is payday on the muck?
2. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
3. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
4. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
5. Who stays, then flees, with Tea Cake and Janie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
2. How does Tea Cake die?
3. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
4. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
5. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
6. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
7. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
8. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
9. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
Essay Topic 2
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 3
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)