|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tea Cake tell Janie to treat Mrs. Turner?
2. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
3. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
4. When do the townspeople take notice of Janie's spending so much time with Tea Cake?
5. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
2. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
3. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
4. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
5. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
6. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
7. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
8. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
9. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
10. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
Essay Topic 3
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)