|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
2. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
3. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
4. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
5. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
Essay Topic 1
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)