|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
2. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
3. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
4. Where do the workers go to escape the storm?
5. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tea Cake die?
2. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
3. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
4. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
5. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
6. Who is Annie Tyler?
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
9. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
10. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)