|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
2. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
3. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
4. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
5. What does Nunkie do to get Tea Cake's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
2. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
3. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
4. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
8. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
9. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
10. Who is Annie Tyler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the novel reveal about the perceptions of blacks about whites, and vice versa, during the time in which the novel is set? Is there a message underlying the interaction between races? Does there seem to be a struggle on the part of certain characters to change how blacks are viewed in society? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)