|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
2. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
3. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
4. What does Janie wear to Tea Cake's funeral?
5. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
2. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
3. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
4. How does Tea Cake die?
5. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
6. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
7. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
8. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
9. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
10. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare current events to those that take place in Their Eyes Were Watching God, discussing the differences in social reactions to things like racism and classism.
Essay Topic 2
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)