|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
2. What does Nunkie do to get Tea Cake's attention?
3. What is Tea Cake's job?
4. How does Pheoby feel after Janie is done talking in Chapter 20?
5. How is Nunkie's appearance described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
2. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
3. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
4. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
7. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
8. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
9. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
10. How does Tea Cake die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 2
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)