|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
2. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
3. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
4. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
5. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
2. Who is Annie Tyler?
3. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
4. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
5. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
6. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
7. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
8. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
9. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
10. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
Essay Topic 2
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)