|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finishing her story, Janie tells Pheoby "Ah done been tuh de _________." (Fill in the blank)
2. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
3. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
4. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
5. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
2. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
3. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
4. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
5. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
6. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
7. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
8. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
9. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
10. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the horizon as a symbol in the novel. What is it a symbol of? Does its symbolism change at all? If so, how? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)