|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
2. What does Janie tell Pheoby she wants to get married again for?
3. What does Janie take with her when she leaves?
4. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
5. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)