|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays, then flees, with Tea Cake and Janie?
2. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
3. What do Janie and Tea Cake do when the picking season ends?
4. What does Janie "pull in and drape over her shoulder" at the end of the novel?
5. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Annie Tyler?
2. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
3. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
4. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
5. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
6. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
7. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
8. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
9. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
10. How does Tea Cake die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how and why Janie is consistently disappointed throughout her life. Which characters disappoint her? What were her initial expectations of these characters, and how do they let her down?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)