|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
2. Who does Janie think of as a warning about what Tea Cake might do to her?
3. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
4. When is payday on the muck?
5. How do the townspeople feel about Janie's relationship with Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
2. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
3. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
4. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
5. Who is Annie Tyler?
6. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
7. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
8. How does Tea Cake die?
9. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the horizon as a symbol in the novel. What is it a symbol of? Does its symbolism change at all? If so, how? Use specific examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)