|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tea Cake say that Nunkie did to draw him away from the crowd in the fields?
2. Where do Janie and Tea Cake go in Chapter 14?
3. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
4. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
5. What does Janie leave Eatonville wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
2. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
3. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
4. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
7. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
8. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
9. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
10. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)