|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Turner like Janie?
2. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
3. What do the men who work with Tea Cake think of Mr. Turner?
4. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
5. What does Janie hide behind the stove?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
2. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
3. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
4. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
5. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
6. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
7. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
8. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
9. How does Tea Cake die?
10. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel are static? Which characters are dynamic? How do the two different types of characters contribute to the evolution of the story and its central themes?
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Their Eyes Were Watching God captures the importance of oral history and the oral tradition in African American culture. What elements of the story support this?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)