|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
2. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
3. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
4. How does Tea Cake die?
5. Why does Tea Cake want to stay on the muck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
2. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
3. How does Tea Cake die?
4. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
5. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
6. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
9. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
10. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)