|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nunkie do to get Tea Cake's attention?
2. Who does Mrs. Turner want Janie to marry?
3. What does Tea Cake teach Janie how to do in the Everglades?
4. How old is Tea Cake?
5. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
2. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
3. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
4. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
5. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
6. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
7. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
8. How does Tea Cake die?
9. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)