|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the police make many arrests when the workers get drunk in town?
2. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
3. Tea Cake tells Janie she is enough to make a man forget to _________. (Fill in the blank)
4. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
5. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
2. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
3. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
4. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
5. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
6. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
7. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
8. How does Tea Cake die?
9. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
10. Who is Annie Tyler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss violence as a theme in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Is it shown in a positive or acceptable light? Explain how Janie's reaction to the violent situations she experiences reveal something about her character. Would the violence in the novel be acceptable today?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)