|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Tea Cake contract?
2. What does Tea Cake do when Janie cannot swim anymore?
3. When does Janie want to marry Tea Cake?
4. How do the other men feel about Tea Cake's beating Janie?
5. What does Janie take with her when she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
2. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
3. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
4. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. How does Tea Cake die?
7. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
8. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
9. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
10. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 2
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)