|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion overtakes Janie in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
3. Why does Janie leave the Everglades?
4. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
5. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
2. Who is Annie Tyler?
3. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
4. How is the hurricane a metaphor for Janie's life?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
7. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
8. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
9. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
10. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the novel and Janie's story could be viewed as an inspiration to women.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)