|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake beat Janie?
2. How old is Tea Cake?
3. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
4. What does Janie leave Eatonville wearing?
5. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Annie Tyler?
2. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
3. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
4. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
5. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
6. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
7. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
8. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
9. How does Tea Cake die?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second paragraph of the novel reads, "Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly." Discuss the significance of memory throughout the novel and how this theme is present throughout Janie's story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the tone of the novel changes as Janie experiences highs and lows in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)