|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tea Cake as he and Janie are trying to get out of the water?
2. Who sends Pheoby to have a talk with Janie about Tea Cake?
3. What color does Janie start wearing in Chapter 12?
4. What does Tea Cake do when he returns to the store that melts Janie's decided coldness toward him?
5. How much of the two hundred dollars is left when Tea Cake returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
2. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
3. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
4. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
5. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
6. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
7. How does Tea Cake die?
8. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
9. What do the workers in the Everglades do for fun?
10. Who is Annie Tyler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 2
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
Essay Topic 3
Is Janie's story an analogy of the repression of African Americans or women? Support your answer with references to and examples from the book.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)