|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is payday on the muck?
2. What does Janie let Tea Cake do that none of the other men have been able to do?
3. What happens to the money Janie has hidden in her dress?
4. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
5. What does Tea Cake call the land that he works on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
2. How does Tea Cake die?
3. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
4. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
5. How does Pheoby react to Janie's story at the end of the novel?
6. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
7. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
8. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
9. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
10. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters in the novel presented as foils of one another?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the colloquial dialect used in the novel have on the story and how readers relate to the characters? Discuss both the negative and positive effects that the characters' manner of speaking has the development of key elements of the story (e.g. characterization, setting, plot, themes, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Their Eyes Were Watching God? What does this title reveal about Janie's journey toward self-realization? Is the title a statement about Janie or other characters? Does the title imply a sense of waiting or searching? How?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)