|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
2. How does Tea Cake intend to win Janie's money back?
3. What does Mr. Turner do when the restaurant is getting torn up?
4. What does Tea Cake ask Janie to do in Chapter 14?
5. What color does Janie start wearing in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
2. How does Mrs. Turner react to Janie's snubbing of her?
3. Describe Janie's reaction when Tea Cake beats her.
4. How does Tea Cake die?
5. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
6. What things does Tea Cake do to show his love for Janie?
7. Why is Janie jealous of Nunkie?
8. How does Mrs. Turner view blacks?
9. What happens to Tea Cake at the card game?
10. Describe the events that take place during the hurricane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novel. What events or passages indicate that something important will happen later in the novel? What themes are presented briefly only to be fully expanded on by future events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the frame story (a story within a story) is used in the novel. How is it an effective storytelling tool? How does it resemble folklore or folktales? In what way can the reader better understand the story through Janie's eyes because the story is told in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Janie's perception of her role as a woman compared to that of her grandmother's.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)