|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Turner take pride in?
2. What does Janie find under Tea Cake's pillow?
3. What does Tea Cake want to protect Janie from?
4. How does Tea Cake tell Janie to treat Mrs. Turner?
5. What does Hezekiah think of Tea Cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tea Cake die?
2. What makes the townspeople so mad about Janie seeing Tea Cake?
3. What are Janie's suspicions about Tea Cake?
4. Why does Tea Cake want Janie to work in the fields with him?
5. What does Janie say about the horizon at the end of her story?
6. Who is Annie Tyler?
7. Compare Tea Cake's funeral to Joe Starks'.
8. What does Janie tell Pheoby about marriage in Chapter 12?
9. Why do the men get angry at Mrs. Turner?
10. What does Tea Cake do when Janie confronts him about Nunkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the different symbols that are used in the book to represent Janie's situation as her story progresses -- the mule, the pear tree, etc.
Essay Topic 2
How did each phase of Janie's life, from childhood through adulthood, shape her into the woman who is telling the story in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What elements are integral parts of how Hurston defines true love in the novel?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)