|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many acres does Janie's new home sit on?
(a) 10 acres.
(b) 100 acres.
(c) 60 acres.
(d) 1 acre.
2. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
(a) A ham sandwich.
(b) Mulatto rice.
(c) Turkey and dressing.
(d) Vegetable stew.
3. What does Joe do to hurt Janie in Chapter 8?
(a) Refuses food from her.
(b) Tells the doctor not to tell her anything.
(c) Sells all of her clothes .
(d) Moves another woman into the house.
4. What song is played at Joe's funeral?
(a) "When the Saints Go Marching In."
(b) "Safe in the Arms of Jesus."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "All by Myself."
5. The first line of the novel is "Ships at a distance have every man's _________ on board." (Fill in the blank)
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janie's response to Joe's anger in the store after he chastises her?
2. What does Janie do in Eatonville?
3. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
4. What does Hurston say that Janie's grandmother pinched and tied around Janie's neck "tight enough to choke her"?
5. What does Joe say someone like Janie is "made to do"?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)