|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been Joe's source of power so far in the novel?
(c) Physical force.
(d) Janie's love.
2. Why does Joe buy the mule?
(a) He needs the mule to work his land.
(b) He wants to impress the other men.
(c) He overhears Janie saying that the mule needs rest.
(d) He wants Janie to take care of the mule.
3. What does Janie keep waiting for after her marriage?
(a) To move to another city.
(b) To get a new dress.
(c) To have a baby.
(d) To fall in love with her husband.
4. Where does Janie get married?
(a) In Nanny's parlor.
(b) In Miami.
(c) At the Baptist church.
(d) In the Washburns' back yard.
5. For how long does Janie wear black to signify her mourning over Joe?
(a) Six months.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Janie's best friend?
2. What do the men compare beating a woman to?
3. Why does Joe not allow Janie to participate in the social scene around the store?
4. How old do the neighbors think Janie is when she returns home in Chapter 1?
5. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)