|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men who try to court Janie really want?
(a) Her wisdom.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her store.
(d) Her body.
2. What do the other children tease Janie about?
(a) The hound dogs chasing Janie's father.
(b) Janie's poor family.
(c) The way Janie's grandmother talks.
(d) Janie's good grades in school.
3. How does Hezekiah behave in the store?
(a) He is lazy and will not work.
(b) He is meek and like a servant to Janie.
(c) He pretends to own the store.
(d) He acts like a harmless imitation of Joe.
4. What item of Joe's are the residents of Eatonville envious of?
(a) His silk suit.
(b) His wife.
(c) His gold spittoon.
(d) His feathered hat.
5. What is the name of the family Nanny works for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when the novel begins?
2. What does Hurston compare Janie's funeral veil to?
3. Why do the other black children pick on Janie all the time?
4. What does Janie eat for dinner in Chapter 1?
5. What event in Chapter 2 signals the end of Janie's childhood?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)