|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, Marya feels as though she is scared of____________.
2. When Marya is six, what does she do with her life plan?
3. Does Marya think that eating disorders occur often in this country?
4. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
5. Whom does Marya ask to tell her if she has gained weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
2. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
3. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
4. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
5. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
6. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
7. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
8. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
9. What will Marya always worry about?
10. What gives Marya the ability to carry on with her life and fight everyday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
Essay Topic 3
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)