|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Marya returns to school and meets her new roommate, what does she weigh?
2. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
3. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
4. To Marya, there is no ___________ , only success or failure.
5. How is Marya handling a job and school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
2. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
3. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
4. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
5. What body systems do not work right as a result of Marya's disorders?
6. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
7. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
8. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
9. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
10. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 2
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)