|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mayra feel while at this place?
2. What does Marya do when she looks in the mirror?
3. Where does Marya find herself in 1991?
4. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
5. Who picks Marya up off the highway?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
2. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
3. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
4. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
5. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
6. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
7. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
8. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
9. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
10. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the anorexics and bulimics working against each other while they are in rehab? How does this help or hinder their therapeutic process at Lowe House?
Essay Topic 3
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)