|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marya is six, what does she do with her life plan?
2. After leaving Lowe house and moving in with her parents, what happens to Marya?
3. What has Marya realized about life over the years?
4. What does Marya say that she hates?
5. What happens the second weekend that Marya is left alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
2. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
3. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
4. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
5. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
6. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
7. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
8. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
9. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
10. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya explains that anorexics have more control than bulimics. Anorexics are capable of completely neglecting their body. They also think they can exist without their bodies. What does this reasoning mean? How can someone live without their body?
Essay Topic 2
Marya thinks that her body is a costume that she can constantly change. If it does not make her happy, she can switch it out and be happier.
1) How many different faces does Marya have growing up?
2) Find 3 instances of how Marya hides herself with these masks.
3) Does this make it difficult for those around her to get to know her?
Essay Topic 3
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)