|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Marya is dating and making new friends at school, what happens at night?
2. The first time her parents leave Marya alone, what happens?
3. Whom does Marya meet at school?
4. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
5. What does Marya realize will happen after she leaves the treatment center?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
2. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
3. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
4. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
5. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
6. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
7. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
8. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
9. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
10. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 2
Marya notices that the women in her family have a terrible problem with food. Choose three of Marya's family members and discuss their feelings about food. How are they similar or different to Marya's food issues?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)