|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
2. What is the smartest thing that someone can do for someone else recovering from an eating disorder?
3. What causes Marya to crash her father's car on the way home?
4. Why does Marya want to stay where she is?
5. Whom does Marya move in with when she turns eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
2. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
3. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
4. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
5. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
6. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
7. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
8. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
9. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
10. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Marya searches for people who will love her, care for her, and understand her. How is her bulimia, anorexia, and sex addiction a call for her? Does she receive the help she needs too late?
Essay Topic 3
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)