|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
2. What does Marya like about her body?
3. Who picks Marya up off the highway?
4. The first time her parents leave Marya alone, what happens?
5. What keeps Marya eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
2. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
3. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
4. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
5. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
6. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
7. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
8. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
9. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
10. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Marya searches for people who will love her, care for her, and understand her. How is her bulimia, anorexia, and sex addiction a call for her? Does she receive the help she needs too late?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)