|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marya practices anorexia, how does she feel?
2. How will Marya change her life soon?
3. What is the main part of this Interlude?
4. Why does Marya stop eating in the cafeteria?
5. What does Marya tell her brother about her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Marya always worry about?
2. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
3. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
4. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
5. What body systems do not work right as a result of Marya's disorders?
6. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
7. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
8. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
9. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
10. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
Essay Topic 3
Marya notices that the women in her family have a terrible problem with food. Choose three of Marya's family members and discuss their feelings about food. How are they similar or different to Marya's food issues?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)