|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
2. When Marya's brother Paul hugs her goodbye, what does he realize?
3. What does her husband do?
4. For Marya, what was the need for the eating disorder?
5. What does Marya tell her brother about her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
2. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
3. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
4. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
5. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
6. What will Marya always worry about?
7. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
8. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
9. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
10. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 2
From reading the novel, Marya has given the reader several symptoms of bulimia and anorexia. List out 5 examples of actions or behaviors that anorexics and bulimics typically display.
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)