|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does aftermath mean?
2. What does Marya tell her family about her recovery?
3. What happens the second weekend that Marya is left alone?
4. In the Afterword, what is wrong with Marya's body?
5. To hide her purging, what does Marya do?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
2. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
3. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
4. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
5. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
6. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
7. What will Marya always worry about?
8. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
9. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
10. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
Essay Topic 2
From reading the novel, Marya has given the reader several symptoms of bulimia and anorexia. List out 5 examples of actions or behaviors that anorexics and bulimics typically display.
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)