|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mayra feel while at this place?
2. What does Marya think of her life in D.C.?
3. What is the smartest thing that someone can do for someone else recovering from an eating disorder?
4. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
5. What does she worry about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
2. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
3. What will Marya always worry about?
4. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
5. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
6. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
7. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
8. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
9. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
10. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 3
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)