|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To feel better, what does Marya decide to do?
2. What does Marya say that she hates?
3. What does Marya realize that her eating disorders have done to her body?
4. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
5. Whom does Marya meet at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
2. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
3. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
4. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
5. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
6. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
7. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
8. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
9. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
10. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Marya's relationship with her father to her relationship with her mother. How did the two use Marya to get what they wanted?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)