|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Marya change her life soon?
2. After she cuts all of her hair off, what does Marya realize?
3. Whom does Marya move in with when she turns eighteen?
4. What book informs Marya's decision to become anorexic?
5. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
2. What body systems do not work right as a result of Marya's disorders?
3. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
4. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
5. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
6. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
7. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
8. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
9. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
10. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the anorexics and bulimics working against each other while they are in rehab? How does this help or hinder their therapeutic process at Lowe House?
Essay Topic 3
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)