|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Lowe house and moving in with her parents, what happens to Marya?
2. Currently, what gives her a reason to not give up?
3. Whom does Marya ask to tell her if she has gained weight?
4. Marya thinks she is a hypocrite while visiting her grandmother because ____________.
5. After Marya returns to school and meets her new roommate, what does she weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
2. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
3. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
4. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
5. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
6. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
7. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
8. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
9. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
10. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)