|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
2. Why does Marya want to stay where she is?
3. To feel better, what does Marya decide to do?
4. What does this person think about Marya's actions towards food?
5. After Marya returns to school and meets her new roommate, what does she weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
2. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
3. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
4. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
5. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
6. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
7. What are Marya's main reasons for not committing suicide or giving up on living?
8. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
9. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
10. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Marya searches for people who will love her, care for her, and understand her. How is her bulimia, anorexia, and sex addiction a call for her? Does she receive the help she needs too late?
Essay Topic 2
When Marya moves back into her parents' house while taking class at a university what happens to her? Why do her old habits return? What should her parents have done to promote her continued success and rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 3
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)