|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because she is alive, Marya feels like she needs to_________.
2. Whose instructions are not being followed?
3. Currently, what gives her a reason to not give up?
4. When Marya visits home, what makes her parents realize she is not getting better?
5. What does she deal with on a daily basis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
2. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
3. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
4. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
5. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
6. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
7. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
8. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
9. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
10. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
Essay Topic 3
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)