|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marya chicken out and not take advantage of her opportunity to get better?
2. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
3. What does Marya realize makes her strong?
4. What lie does Mayra create to leave?
5. At the end of the chapter, what is Marya allowed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
2. What gives Marya the ability to carry on with her life and fight everyday?
3. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
4. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
5. When Marya feels like she is having a nervous breakdown, what is really happening?
6. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
7. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
8. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
9. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
10. What will Marya always worry about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the anorexics and bulimics working against each other while they are in rehab? How does this help or hinder their therapeutic process at Lowe House?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)