|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marya like about her body?
2. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
3. At the end of the chapter, what is Marya allowed to do?
4. When Marya's brother Paul hugs her goodbye, what does he realize?
5. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
Short Essay Questions
1. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
2. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
3. What body systems do not work right as a result of Marya's disorders?
4. What will Marya always worry about?
5. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
6. How does Marya attempt to trick the doctors, her parents, and her friends into thinking she is healthy?
7. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
8. What does Marya wish that her husband would notice?
9. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
10. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Marya's relationship with her father to her relationship with her mother. How did the two use Marya to get what they wanted?
Essay Topic 2
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
Essay Topic 3
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)