|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marya begin to cry after she has aborted the baby?
2. When Marya goes to the hospital weighing 82 pounds, the doctor suggests that she try to gain weight. What does this show?
3. After she cuts all of her hair off, what does Marya realize?
4. In the Afterword, what is wrong with Marya's body?
5. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
2. What gives Marya the ability to carry on with her life and fight everyday?
3. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
4. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
5. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
6. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
7. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
8. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
9. Why does Marya decide to visit Kathi?
10. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)