|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does aftermath mean?
2. Whom does Marya live with while in California?
3. What makes getting Marya's teeth extracted difficult?
4. When Marya visits home, what makes her parents realize she is not getting better?
5. Who picks Marya up off the highway?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Marya, what were eating disorders an excuse for?
2. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
3. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
4. In Interlude-November 5, 1996, what does Marya describe?
5. What gives Marya the ability to carry on with her life and fight everyday?
6. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
7. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
8. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
9. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
10. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
Essay Topic 2
Marya explains that anorexics have more control than bulimics. Anorexics are capable of completely neglecting their body. They also think they can exist without their bodies. What does this reasoning mean? How can someone live without their body?
Essay Topic 3
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)