|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Marya when she begins to enter puberty?
2. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
3. While in this location, who watches Marya?
4. What happens during Marya's pregnancy?
5. Marya goes to the doctor complaining of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marya looks at her file, what does she see?
2. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
3. What does Marya feel at the age of five and why?
4. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
5. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
6. When was the interlude to the book written?
7. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
8. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
9. How does the novel begin?
10. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
Essay Topic 3
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)