|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To live up to the rumors around her, what does Marya begin to do?
2. What does Mayra still struggle with?
3. During her ninth grade year, Marya's bulimia and drug use combine to cause what?
4. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
5. To Marya, what does life seem to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
2. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
3. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
4. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
5. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
6. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
7. What will Marya always worry about?
8. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
9. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
10. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
Essay Topic 2
Marya notices that the women in her family have a terrible problem with food. Choose three of Marya's family members and discuss their feelings about food. How are they similar or different to Marya's food issues?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)