|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doctor will not help Marya at Methodist?
2. What does Marya realize about her lies?
3. How old was Mayra when she became bulimic?
4. What does the introduction to the story show?
5. What happens at therapy with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Marya is "recovered," what tendencies still have a hold on her?
2. Why is a school for the arts an easy place to hide an eating disorder?
3. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
4. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
5. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
6. What becomes a coincidence for Marya when she goes to Interlochen?
7. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
8. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
9. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
10. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
Essay Topic 1
Why are the anorexics and bulimics working against each other while they are in rehab? How does this help or hinder their therapeutic process at Lowe House?
Essay Topic 2
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)