|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While doing research for this book, Marya spoke to _____________.
2. Growing up, how does Mayra feel in her body?
3. Instead of going to school, how does Marya spend her time?
4. How did Mayra's parents try to reward her?
5. In a ballet class, what does four-year-old Mayra feel about her own body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
2. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
3. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
4. When was the interlude to the book written?
5. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
6. What does Marya use besides bulimia to fill a void in her life?
7. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
8. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
9. How does the novel begin?
10. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
Essay Topic 2
When Marya moves back into her parents' house while taking class at a university what happens to her? Why do her old habits return? What should her parents have done to promote her continued success and rehabilitation?
Essay Topic 3
Marya notices that the women in her family have a terrible problem with food. Choose three of Marya's family members and discuss their feelings about food. How are they similar or different to Marya's food issues?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)