Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of 4, what does Marya claim to be?
2. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
3. After moving to Minnesota, what does Marya often use to calm her nerves?
4. To this day, what does Marya say she misses about bulimia?
5. What does Marya think will happen to Jane before she gets to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
2. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
3. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
4. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
5. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
6. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
7. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
8. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
9. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
10. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
Essay Topic 3
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)