|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before she leaves for winter break, what is Marya eating?
2. Anorexics believe that they can live ______.
3. When she became pregnant, what didn't Marya know about?
4. What does the introduction to the story show?
5. What does Marya welcome about her stay at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
2. Why is Marya writing this novel?
3. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
4. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
5. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
6. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
7. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
8. What does Marya explain about anorexics and how their minds work?
9. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
10. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the anorexics and bulimics working against each other while they are in rehab? How does this help or hinder their therapeutic process at Lowe House?
Essay Topic 2
Marya explains that anorexics have more control than bulimics. Anorexics are capable of completely neglecting their body. They also think they can exist without their bodies. What does this reasoning mean? How can someone live without their body?
Essay Topic 3
Marya thinks that her body is a costume that she can constantly change. If it does not make her happy, she can switch it out and be happier.
1) How many different faces does Marya have growing up?
2) Find 3 instances of how Marya hides herself with these masks.
3) Does this make it difficult for those around her to get to know her?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)