|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marya often compare herself to in the book?
2. When Marya turns seven, where does her father plan to take her?
3. Anorexics believe that they can live ______.
4. What does Marya welcome about her stay at the hospital?
5. Where else does Marya go to for her disorders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations does Marya have concerning wealth and money?
2. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
3. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
4. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
5. What does Marya explain about anorexics and how their minds work?
6. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
7. When Marya looks at her file, what does she see?
8. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
9. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
10. When was the interlude to the book written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)