|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just as Marya uses Bulimia to fill an emotional void, she uses _____ in the same way.
2. To Marya, what does life seem to be?
3. To Mayra, what does sex do for her?
4. Before she leaves for winter break, what is Marya eating?
5. What is her current weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. While at school, what does Marya begin to do to herself?
2. What does the antibiotic do to Marya's system?
3. How does Marya's experience at Lowe House differ from Methodist Hospital?
4. In Interlude-Present Day, what does Marya discuss?
5. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
6. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
7. How does this person not oblige Marya's whims?
8. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
9. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
10. Although Marya is "recovered," what tendencies still have a hold on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya thinks that her body is a costume that she can constantly change. If it does not make her happy, she can switch it out and be happier.
1) How many different faces does Marya have growing up?
2) Find 3 instances of how Marya hides herself with these masks.
3) Does this make it difficult for those around her to get to know her?
Essay Topic 2
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Marya's relationship with her father to her relationship with her mother. How did the two use Marya to get what they wanted?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)