|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does anorexia represent to the girls in the clinic and the outside world?
2. How did Mayra's parents use Mayra?
3. Who persuades her to tell her parents about the disease?
4. What does Marya begin to crave?
5. Anorexics believe that they can live ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
2. Why is Marya writing this novel?
3. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
4. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
5. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
6. What action gets the story moving quickly?
7. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
8. When was the interlude to the book written?
9. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
10. What does Marya feel at the age of five and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
Essay Topic 2
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)