|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Marya when she begins to enter puberty?
2. When Marya turns seven, where does her father plan to take her?
3. What is very rampant and obvious at Interlochen?
4. In Marya's opinion, what does the American Dream prompt women to do?
5. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
2. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
3. What action gets the story moving quickly?
4. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
5. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
6. What does Marya explain about anorexics and how their minds work?
7. Why is a school for the arts an easy place to hide an eating disorder?
8. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
9. When was the interlude to the book written?
10. What does Marya feel at the age of five and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
Essay Topic 2
Marya notices that the women in her family have a terrible problem with food. Choose three of Marya's family members and discuss their feelings about food. How are they similar or different to Marya's food issues?
Essay Topic 3
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)