|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is her current weight?
2. To calm herself when she is alone at home after school, what does Marya do at first?
3. What tone is the Interlude written in?
4. What does Marya think will happen to Jane before she gets to the hospital?
5. Where else does Marya go to for her disorders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
2. How does the novel begin?
3. What observations does Marya have concerning wealth and money?
4. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
5. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
6. What action gets the story moving quickly?
7. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
8. What does Marya use besides bulimia to fill a void in her life?
9. Why is Marya writing this novel?
10. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
Essay Topic 2
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)