|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a ballet class, what does four-year-old Mayra feel about her own body?
2. When Marya is ________ she becomes pregnant?
3. Many girls in the Interlochen community supported Marya's ______.
4. Why is bulimia more realistic than anorexia?
5. What does Marya think will happen to Jane before she gets to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
2. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
3. When was the interlude to the book written?
4. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
5. Why is Marya writing this novel?
6. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
7. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
8. To add to her sex and eating addictions, what else happens to Marya?
9. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
10. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
Essay Topic 2
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
Essay Topic 3
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)