Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of 4, what does Marya claim to be?
2. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
3. After moving to Minnesota, what does Marya often use to calm her nerves?
4. To this day, what does Marya say she misses about bulimia?
5. What does Marya think will happen to Jane before she gets to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
2. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
3. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
4. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
5. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
6. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
7. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
8. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
9. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
10. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
Essay Topic 1
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Marya explains that anorexics have more control than bulimics. Anorexics are capable of completely neglecting their body. They also think they can exist without their bodies. What does this reasoning mean? How can someone live without their body?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)