|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is very rampant and obvious at Interlochen?
2. What happens when Jane and Marya meet?
3. What does Marya welcome about her stay at the hospital?
4. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
5. When Marya turns seven, where does her father plan to take her?
Short Essay Questions
1. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
2. What makes Marya proud?
3. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
4. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
5. Why do Marya's bad habits with food quickly come back?
6. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
7. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
8. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
9. What does Marya use besides bulimia to fill a void in her life?
10. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
Essay Topic 1
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
Essay Topic 2
Marya considers bulimics to be very passionate and filled with desires. They, in her opinion, are also weak and always give in. Do you agree or disagree with her statement? Does it makes sense to you?
Essay Topic 3
1) Collectively, do men have a positive or negative influence on Marya's life?
2) How does Marya use men negatively?
3) What male has had the most positive effect on Marya's life?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)