|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to people that have not eaten in a long time or have not eaten properly?
2. How did Mayra's parents use Mayra?
3. Many girls in the Interlochen community supported Marya's ______.
4. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
5. Why does Mayra realize that she does not like to be touched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
2. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
3. How does the novel begin?
4. What becomes a coincidence for Marya when she goes to Interlochen?
5. What does Marya feel at the age of five and why?
6. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
7. What action gets the story moving quickly?
8. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
9. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
10. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do anorexics justify what they are doing to their bodies? How did Marya justify her actions? Jane? Marya's mother?
Essay Topic 3
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)