|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a ballet class, what does four-year-old Mayra feel about her own body?
2. Why does Marya become extremely angry with a doctor?
3. To Marya, what goes hand and hand with being rich or wealthy?
4. To Marya, what does life seem to be?
5. Who does Marya often compare herself to in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya use besides bulimia to fill a void in her life?
2. When was the interlude to the book written?
3. What action gets the story moving quickly?
4. Why is a school for the arts an easy place to hide an eating disorder?
5. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
6. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
7. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
8. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
9. What observations does Marya have concerning wealth and money?
10. When Marya looks at her file, what does she see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do friends and family blind themselves to Marya's issues? Describe 5 instances in which they have expressed their ignorance. escribe 2 instances where people actually noticed Marya's issues.
Essay Topic 2
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)