|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the lowest weight that Mayra got down to?
2. When Marya tries to dream big, what do her parents tell her?
3. Why does Marya become extremely angry with a doctor?
4. Who does Marya often compare herself to in the book?
5. When she became pregnant, what didn't Marya know about?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
2. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
3. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
4. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
5. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
6. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
7. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
8. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
9. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
10. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the interludes, Marya is able to reflect back on her old life and old ways. Are the interludes effective?
If so, why or why not? What is the tone of the reflection? Is it different than the rest of the autobiographies?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with the question as to whether Marya will survive her recovery. Describe the end of the book. Do you think that Marya's conclusion was effective? Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)