|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marya's parents see her?
2. As a result of her eating disorder, what would often happen to Marya?
3. What does Marya welcome about her stay at the hospital?
4. Who does Marya often compare herself to in the book?
5. While doing research for this book, Marya spoke to _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
2. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
3. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
4. What action gets the story moving quickly?
5. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
6. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
7. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
8. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
9. When Marya looks at her file, what does she see?
10. What is very different about life in the clinic and how it might make a person feel like they have no privacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disconnection with the mind and body is a theme that continually occurs throughout the novel. Give three examples of where and when Marya feels disconnected. Be sure to explain the circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Marya constantly thinks her body is disgusting and awful. In reality, what Marya puts her body through causes it to become sickly, disfigured, and unattractive.
1) When does Marya finally realize the extent of the damages to her body?
2) To her psyche?
3) To all those around her?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Marya searches for people who will love her, care for her, and understand her. How is her bulimia, anorexia, and sex addiction a call for her? Does she receive the help she needs too late?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)