|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before she leaves for winter break, what is Marya eating?
2. How old is Marya when she begins to enter puberty?
3. Where industry did Mayra's parents work in?
4. After moving to Minnesota, what does Marya often use to calm her nerves?
5. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
2. Why does Marya decide to switch from bulimia to anorexia?
3. When was the interlude to the book written?
4. What observations does Marya have concerning wealth and money?
5. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
6. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
7. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
8. What actions affect Marya while growing up?
9. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
10. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From reading the novel, Marya has given the reader several symptoms of bulimia and anorexia. List out 5 examples of actions or behaviors that anorexics and bulimics typically display.
Essay Topic 2
Marya is convinced that she desperately wanted to die or simply stop existing. What stopped her from committing suicide?
What currently keeps her wanting to continue her fight against her eating disorders?
Essay Topic 3
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)