Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of 4, what does Marya claim to be?
2. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
3. After moving to Minnesota, what does Marya often use to calm her nerves?
4. To this day, what does Marya say she misses about bulimia?
5. What does Marya think will happen to Jane before she gets to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
2. Why does Marya refer to this section of the book as "Take 1"?
3. What does Marya realize about her desire to lose weight?
4. Slowly, what does Marya begin to think about her skinny looks?
5. What does Marya realize about the girl's folder?
6. What does Marya realize about those around her from her past?
7. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
8. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
9. What does Duane's hug provide for Marya?
10. When a friend finally tells a school counselor about Marya's problem, how does Marya feel?
Mother/daughter relationships are unique to the people that participate in the relationship.
1) Describe Marya and her mother's relationship.
2) How do Marya and her mother effectively or ineffectively communicate with each other?
3) How could they have improved their relationship?
Which of the following characters do you believe most caused Marya's eating disorders?
- Young Cousin
As the novel reaches its climax, Marya's weight plummets. How does the author use this information to build suspense and propel her plot along? What literary techniques does the author employ? Do you think he is successful?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)