|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Marya, there is no ___________ , only success or failure.
(b) Even ground.
(d) Middle ground.
2. What makes getting Marya's teeth extracted difficult?
(a) Her fear of the dentist.
(b) Her feelings toward all doctors.
(c) Her ambivalent feelings of being touched.
(d) Her eating disorders.
3. What does she worry about?
(a) Her body getting fatter.
(b) Getting too thin.
(c) Hurting her family.
(d) Scaring her husband.
4. When Marya goes to the hospital weighing 82 pounds, the doctor suggests that she try to gain weight. What does this show?
(a) He does not care about patients with eating disorders.
(b) He is not a good doctor.
(c) The lack of understanding about eating disorders in the medical field.
(d) He sees Marya's problem as short term.
5. Does Marya think that eating disorders occur often in this country?
(a) Yes, in homes all over America.
(b) No, only in poverty stricken areas.
(c) No, only in a few homes.
(d) No, only in affluent homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Marya does not eat, what will happen?
2. What does Marya want from her family?
3. Whom does Marya ask to tell her if she has gained weight?
4. Currently, what gives her a reason to not give up?
5. What happens the second weekend that Marya is left alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marks the point where Marya's life starts to fall apart again?
2. How does Marya begin leading a double life in this section of the novel?
3. What does Marya almost refuse to take?
4. After arriving at Lowe House, what is Marya warned about by another patient?
5. Why is Marya afraid to fall asleep, and how does not sleeping affect her?
6. When does Marya's brother finally realize how thin Marya is?
7. While going to American University, what happens to Marya's body and mind?
8. What body systems do not work right as a result of Marya's disorders?
9. How does 1991 get off to a good start for Marya?
10. Whom does she now harass to talk to about her weight?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)