|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marya often compare herself to in the book?
(a) The Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Alice from Alice in Wonderland.
(c) The Hare from Alice in Wonderland.
(d) The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland.
2. What happens during Marya's pregnancy?
(a) Her body aborts her baby.
(b) She becomes very sick.
(c) Her father beats her causing her to loose the baby.
(d) She holds the baby until she is 6 months.
3. As a girl, how did Marya react to the way she was treating her body?
(a) She became depressed.
(b) She showed no sorrow.
(c) She became isolated from others.
(d) She hated herself for treating her body poorly.
4. How old is Marya when she becomes a fully developed woman?
5. During 1989, Marya is accepted at ________.
(b) An early program for a university.
(c) The Arts Academy of Michigan.
(d) An arts camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persuades her to tell her parents about the disease?
2. To Mayra, what does sex do for her?
3. What does Mayra's mother admit?
4. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
5. How did Mayra's parents try to reward her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
2. What action gets the story moving quickly?
3. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
4. To add to her sex and eating addictions, what else happens to Marya?
5. Why is Marya writing this novel?
6. How else does the treatment center cause Marya anxiety?
7. As a child, what does Marya want besides a perfect body?
8. What is a big reason that Marya likes to have an eating disorder?
9. What also leads Mayra do develop a strange relationship to food?
10. What causes Marya to be obsessed by sex?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)