|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To live up to the rumors around her, what does Marya begin to do?
(a) Try to do better in schoolk.
(b) Act like a snob.
(c) Talk back to teachers.
(d) Sleep with skanky boys.
2. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
(a) Send Marya to boarding school.
(b) Let Marya run the show.
(c) Control Marya with all their rules.
(d) Stretch the boundaries of their idea of normal.
3. How old was Mayra when she became bulimic?
4. What happens at therapy with her parents?
(a) Marya places the blame on her mother.
(b) Her parents fight and blame Marya.
(c) Marya realizes her parents are not to blame.
(d) The parents begin to understand Marya's real problem.
5. Where does Marya convince her parents to send her?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Marya wait to tell her mother she started her period?
2. What does Marya begin to crave?
3. What do the anorexics think of the bulimics?
4. Who persuades her to tell her parents about the disease?
5. What does Mayra still struggle with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details and statistics does Marya give in this section of the book?
2. What does Marya feel at the age of five and why?
3. Why is Marya writing this novel?
4. How does the novel begin?
5. As a child, how does Marya act when she is alone?
6. Why is a school for the arts an easy place to hide an eating disorder?
7. To add to her sex and eating addictions, what else happens to Marya?
8. As Marya turns eight, what happens to her body?
9. When Marya is about to leave for her new school, what does she feel?
10. When was the interlude to the book written?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)