|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Marya realized about life over the years?
(a) Being beautiful will make things better.
(b) Being thinner, prettier, or different will not make life different.
(c) She is unable to sustain life by herself.
(d) Being thin leads to happiness.
2. What does Marya realize that her eating disorders have done to her body?
(a) Made her look the best she has ever looked.
(b) Caused her to become stronger.
(c) Made her unattractive.
(d) Made her more attractive.
3. Whose instructions are not being followed?
(a) Her doctor's orders.
(b) Kathi, the nurse from Methodist.
(c) Marya's own.
(d) Her mother's suggestions.
4. What happens to her body during this time?
(a) She loses 15 pounds.
(b) She has night sweats.
(c) She loses her memory.
(d) She gains 15 pounds.
5. What are some of Marya's rituals?
(a) Washing her hands constantly and straightening her space.
(b) Working too much and forgetting to eat.
(c) Waiting until her parents have left to eat.
(d) Only eating when she has performed certain tasks.
6. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
(a) The toilet is clogged with vomit.
(b) The house is a complete mess.
(c) Marya is very thin.
(d) The man Marya had sex with.
7. What does Marya say that she hates?
(a) She hates to eat.
(b) Eating correctly.
(d) She hates her husband for judging her.
8. By Christmas, what does she weigh?
(a) 75 pounds.
(b) 80 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 40 pounds.
9. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
10. What does this person think about Marya's actions towards food?
(a) Should stop right away.
(d) Easy to change.
11. Why does Marya want to stay where she is?
(a) She likes her bedroom there.
(b) She likes the friends she has made.
(c) It provides her with a sense of security.
(d) She is afraid that she will be scorned elsewhere.
12. What does Marya want from her family?
(a) For them to respect her.
(b) For them to say she looks skinnier.
(c) For them to love her.
(d) For them to care for her.
13. What happens the second weekend that Marya is left alone?
(a) She brings her boyfriend from California to see her.
(b) She eats everything in the house.
(c) She brings a friend to stay with her.
(d) She brings a stranger home and has sex with him all weekend.
14. Where does Marya decide to go to school?
(a) Rice University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Washington University in St. Louis.
(d) American University in Washington D.C.
15. What does she deal with on a daily basis?
(a) Her parents' regrets.
(b) Her mistakes.
(c) The consequences of her suicide.
(d) The loose ends of her eating disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marya begin to cry after she has aborted the baby?
2. Why does Marya stop eating in the cafeteria?
3. After she cuts all of her hair off, what does Marya realize?
4. If Marya does not eat, what will happen?
5. When she is given anesthesia for the dental extraction, what happens?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)