|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Marya realized about life over the years?
(a) She is unable to sustain life by herself.
(b) Being beautiful will make things better.
(c) Being thin leads to happiness.
(d) Being thinner, prettier, or different will not make life different.
2. What book informs Marya's decision to become anorexic?
(a) Hungry: A Mother and Daughter and Anorexia.
(b) The Best Little Girl in the World.
(c) Dying To Be Thin.
(d) Ana's Story.
3. What does Marya realize will happen after she leaves the treatment center?
(a) No one will love her outisde the center.
(b) She will begin smoking to stay thin.
(c) She will have to end her eating disorder.
(d) She will be trapped with her parents.
4. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
(a) Writing her story.
(b) Hurting those she loves.
(c) Feeling sorry for herself.
(d) Talking to others about her pain.
5. To Marya, there is no ___________ , only success or failure.
(c) Middle ground.
(d) Even ground.
6. What lie does Mayra create to leave?
(a) She needs to be with her parents to survive.
(b) She says she was sexually abused as a child.
(c) She says that someone in the treatment center has been abusing her.
(d) She promises not to abuse herself anymore.
7. What keeps Marya eating?
(a) She realizes what it is like to be a healthy human being.
(b) Her husband's will.
(c) The doctors from the hospital.
(d) Her dark passenger.
8. What makes getting Marya's teeth extracted difficult?
(a) Her ambivalent feelings of being touched.
(b) Her fear of the dentist.
(c) Her feelings toward all doctors.
(d) Her eating disorders.
9. What does Marya want from her family?
(a) For them to respect her.
(b) For them to love her.
(c) For them to care for her.
(d) For them to say she looks skinnier.
10. Now, why does Marya think her problems started again?
(a) She wanted them to happen again.
(b) Eating causes her to feel sad and guilty.
(c) She was too tired to fight.
(d) Being in her parents' house causes her to regress.
11. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
(a) The toilet is clogged with vomit.
(b) Marya is very thin.
(c) The house is a complete mess.
(d) The man Marya had sex with.
12. When Marya practices anorexia, how does she feel?
(a) Like she is losing control.
(c) Like she is completely in control of her life.
(d) The happiest she has ever felt.
13. Why does Marya stop eating in the cafeteria?
(a) She has no friends there.
(b) People start asking her if she is anorexic.
(c) She does not like the way the food tastes.
(d) She hates the way people stare.
14. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
(a) To trust the patient's judgment.
(b) To monitor the patient's every move.
(c) To treat the patients poorly.
(d) To care about the patients as victims and people.
15. Although Marya is dating and making new friends at school, what happens at night?
(a) She won't talk to her parents.
(b) She cuts herself.
(c) She still throws up.
(d) She is still taking drugs and sleeping around.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of this Interlude?
2. What are some of Marya's rituals?
3. As a child, Marya feels as though she is scared of____________.
4. What does Marya say that she hates?
5. What does she worry about?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)