|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marya do when she looks in the mirror?
(a) Checks on how fat she has gotten.
(b) Remembers that she should not eat.
(c) Thinks she looks beautiful.
(d) Wishes she had a boyfriend.
2. Whose instructions are not being followed?
(a) Marya's own.
(b) Her doctor's orders.
(c) Kathi, the nurse from Methodist.
(d) Her mother's suggestions.
3. What is the smartest thing that someone can do for someone else recovering from an eating disorder?
(a) All are correct.
(b) Not allowing them to hide their actions.
(c) Holding firm with them.
(d) Not applauding their weight loss.
4. For Marya, what was the need for the eating disorder?
(a) She could hide behind it.
(b) A way to make her memorable.
(c) Something to do.
(d) A way to avoid the pain and reality of life.
5. Whom does Marya meet at school?
(a) The boy she will later marry.
(b) More boys to sleep with.
(c) Other girls with disorders.
(d) Some new friends.
6. If Marya does not eat, what will happen?
(a) The other girls will be mad at her.
(b) They will force her to eat.
(c) She will get very tired.
(d) She will starve.
7. What does Marya realize makes her strong?
(a) Playing with men's emotions.
(b) Determination to take control of the eating disorder.
(c) The feelings of power other people give her.
8. While she was writing the book, what else changed in her body?
(a) She grew three inches taller.
(b) Her body healed.
(c) Her finger nails grew.
(d) Her hair grew back.
9. Why is this section called aftermath?
(a) Marya wishes she could take back her actions.
(b) Marya is always trying to deal with the consequences of her actions.
(c) Marya hates the consequences of her sickness.
(d) Marya misses her life before her eating disorder.
10. To feel better, what does Marya decide to do?
(a) Binge and purge.
(b) Eat less.
(c) Go completely anorexic.
(d) Kill herself.
11. What does Marya begin to lose her control over?
(c) Ability to walk.
(d) Ability to write.
12. How does Marya chicken out and not take advantage of her opportunity to get better?
(a) She takes advantage of her new opportunity to grow.
(b) She drinks massive amounts or water and hides laxatives.
(c) She hides behind the friends she makes.
(d) She refuses to leave her room.
13. Whom does Marya live with while in California?
(a) Her step-grandmother.
(b) Her cousins.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her uncle.
14. Does Marya think that eating disorders occur often in this country?
(a) No, only in poverty stricken areas.
(b) No, only in affluent homes.
(c) No, only in a few homes.
(d) Yes, in homes all over America.
15. What is the main part of this Interlude?
(a) Marya's memories of recovering from an eating disorder.
(b) Marya's memories of her childhood.
(c) Marya's memories of meeting her husband.
(d) Marya's memories of trying to fit in with other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
2. Why does Marya begin to cry after she has aborted the baby?
3. What does Marya say that she hates?
4. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
5. The first time her parents leave Marya alone, what happens?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)