|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Marya is dating and making new friends at school, what happens at night?
(a) She won't talk to her parents.
(b) She still throws up.
(c) She cuts herself.
(d) She is still taking drugs and sleeping around.
2. What does Marya realize will happen after she leaves the treatment center?
(a) No one will love her outisde the center.
(b) She will be trapped with her parents.
(c) She will begin smoking to stay thin.
(d) She will have to end her eating disorder.
3. Does Marya think that eating disorders occur often in this country?
(a) No, only in poverty stricken areas.
(b) No, only in affluent homes.
(c) Yes, in homes all over America.
(d) No, only in a few homes.
4. What book informs Marya's decision to become anorexic?
(a) Hungry: A Mother and Daughter and Anorexia.
(b) Ana's Story.
(c) The Best Little Girl in the World.
(d) Dying To Be Thin.
5. As a child, Marya feels as though she is scared of____________.
(a) All clothes, especially shoes.
(b) All clothes, especially socks.
(c) All clothes, especially jeans.
(d) All clothes, especially shirts.
6. What are some of Marya's rituals?
(a) Waiting until her parents have left to eat.
(b) Washing her hands constantly and straightening her space.
(c) Only eating when she has performed certain tasks.
(d) Working too much and forgetting to eat.
7. Whom does Marya live with while in California?
(a) Her cousins.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her step-grandmother.
8. While she was writing the book, what else changed in her body?
(a) Her body healed.
(b) Her hair grew back.
(c) She grew three inches taller.
(d) Her finger nails grew.
9. When Marya has a breakdown, what does this mean?
(a) She will not survive long.
(b) Her body is breaking down her brain matter for energy.
(c) Her mind is overloaded.
(d) Her body has overloaded.
10. When she is given anesthesia for the dental extraction, what happens?
(a) She stops breathing.
(b) She has dreams about her past.
(c) Her heart stops.
(d) Her heart murmurs.
11. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
(a) Writing her story.
(b) Talking to others about her pain.
(c) Hurting those she loves.
(d) Feeling sorry for herself.
12. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
(a) The man Marya had sex with.
(b) The toilet is clogged with vomit.
(c) Marya is very thin.
(d) The house is a complete mess.
13. When Marya goes to the hospital weighing 82 pounds, the doctor suggests that she try to gain weight. What does this show?
(a) He does not care about patients with eating disorders.
(b) The lack of understanding about eating disorders in the medical field.
(c) He sees Marya's problem as short term.
(d) He is not a good doctor.
14. What is the main part of this Interlude?
(a) Marya's memories of trying to fit in with other people.
(b) Marya's memories of meeting her husband.
(c) Marya's memories of recovering from an eating disorder.
(d) Marya's memories of her childhood.
15. What does Marya want from her family?
(a) For them to say she looks skinnier.
(b) For them to care for her.
(c) For them to respect her.
(d) For them to love her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does aftermath mean?
2. Because she is alive, Marya feels like she needs to_________.
3. When Marya visits home, what makes her parents realize she is not getting better?
4. How does Mayra feel while at this place?
5. What does Marya begin to lose her control over?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)