|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Marya does not eat, what will happen?
(a) She will starve.
(b) They will force her to eat.
(c) She will get very tired.
(d) The other girls will be mad at her.
2. What lie does Mayra create to leave?
(a) She promises not to abuse herself anymore.
(b) She says that someone in the treatment center has been abusing her.
(c) She says she was sexually abused as a child.
(d) She needs to be with her parents to survive.
3. When Marya is six, what does she do with her life plan?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Hides it from her mother.
(c) Saves it in her diary.
(d) Buries it in her backyard.
4. What does she worry about?
(a) Getting too thin.
(b) Her body getting fatter.
(c) Hurting her family.
(d) Scaring her husband.
5. After Marya returns to school and meets her new roommate, what does she weigh?
(a) 45 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 67 pounds.
(d) 72 pounds.
6. By saying this, what becomes all right?
(a) Marya's feelings.
(b) Marya's longing.
(c) Marya's pride in the weight loss.
(d) Marya's quest for love.
7. What does Marya tell her family about her recovery?
(a) She is getting better.
(b) She wants to go back to the center.
(c) She is getting worse.
(d) She hopes to go home.
8. Because of the seriousness of her condition, what must Marya endure?
(a) A straight jacket.
(b) Cruelty of other patients.
(c) Random searches.
(d) Twenty-four hour surveillance.
9. How does Marya chicken out and not take advantage of her opportunity to get better?
(a) She takes advantage of her new opportunity to grow.
(b) She refuses to leave her room.
(c) She drinks massive amounts or water and hides laxatives.
(d) She hides behind the friends she makes.
10. For Marya, what was the need for the eating disorder?
(a) She could hide behind it.
(b) Something to do.
(c) A way to avoid the pain and reality of life.
(d) A way to make her memorable.
11. At Lowe House, what is the approach of the therapists?
(a) To trust the patient's judgment.
(b) To treat the patients poorly.
(c) To monitor the patient's every move.
(d) To care about the patients as victims and people.
12. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
(a) She can feel her anorexic body returning.
(b) It means she is dying, which she wants.
(c) She is on her way to recovery.
(d) She is able to control herself and her weight.
13. Why does Marya want to stay where she is?
(a) She likes her bedroom there.
(b) It provides her with a sense of security.
(c) She likes the friends she has made.
(d) She is afraid that she will be scorned elsewhere.
14. What makes getting Marya's teeth extracted difficult?
(a) Her ambivalent feelings of being touched.
(b) Her fear of the dentist.
(c) Her eating disorders.
(d) Her feelings toward all doctors.
15. What does Marya do when she looks in the mirror?
(a) Thinks she looks beautiful.
(b) Checks on how fat she has gotten.
(c) Remembers that she should not eat.
(d) Wishes she had a boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marya thinks she is a hypocrite while visiting her grandmother because ____________.
2. By Christmas, what does she weigh?
3. Because she is alive, Marya feels like she needs to_________.
4. What keeps Marya eating?
5. Whom does Marya move in with when she turns eighteen?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)