|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marya chicken out and not take advantage of her opportunity to get better?
(a) She drinks massive amounts or water and hides laxatives.
(b) She takes advantage of her new opportunity to grow.
(c) She hides behind the friends she makes.
(d) She refuses to leave her room.
2. What does Marya like about her body?
(a) She can feel the bones showing again.
(b) It feels stong.
(c) She can completely control it.
(d) She can use it to make her husband do whatever she wants.
3. To feel better, what does Marya decide to do?
(a) Go completely anorexic.
(b) Binge and purge.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Eat less.
4. When Marya visits home, what makes her parents realize she is not getting better?
(a) They hear her throwing up in the bathroom.
(b) She is too thin.
(c) She is caught in a lie.
(d) The pipes burst from all of her purging.
5. After Marya returns to school and meets her new roommate, what does she weigh?
(a) 45 pounds.
(b) 50 pounds.
(c) 67 pounds.
(d) 72 pounds.
6. Whose instructions are not being followed?
(a) Her doctor's orders.
(b) Marya's own.
(c) Her mother's suggestions.
(d) Kathi, the nurse from Methodist.
7. What does Marya tell her brother about her body?
(a) She is very weak.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is confident.
8. What makes getting Marya's teeth extracted difficult?
(a) Her eating disorders.
(b) Her feelings toward all doctors.
(c) Her ambivalent feelings of being touched.
(d) Her fear of the dentist.
9. What does Marya realize makes her strong?
(a) Determination to take control of the eating disorder.
(b) The feelings of power other people give her.
(d) Playing with men's emotions.
10. When Marya's brother Paul hugs her goodbye, what does he realize?
(a) Marya is having tremors.
(b) How fragile Marya seems to be.
(c) How skinny Marya has gotten.
(d) Marya is numb to feelings.
11. What does her husband do?
(a) Cares for her.
(b) Makes her believe in his love for her.
(c) Creates a safe place for Mayra to be.
(d) He refuses to mention the weight loss.
12. Marya decides to abort her own baby by _____________.
(a) Refusing to eat for days.
(b) Throwing herself down the stairs.
(c) Taking a prescription drug.
(d) Going to an abortion clinic.
13. What does Marya want from her family?
(a) For them to say she looks skinnier.
(b) For them to care for her.
(c) For them to respect her.
(d) For them to love her.
14. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
(a) Writing her story.
(b) Hurting those she loves.
(c) Talking to others about her pain.
(d) Feeling sorry for herself.
15. To Marya, there is no ___________ , only success or failure.
(a) Middle ground.
(b) Even ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time her parents leave Marya alone, what happens?
2. By Christmas, what does she weigh?
3. What does Marya begin to lose her control over?
4. Why does Marya begin to cry after she has aborted the baby?
5. Whom does Marya meet at school?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)