|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marya's parents come home from their first trip, what do they find?
(a) Marya is very thin.
(b) The house is a complete mess.
(c) The toilet is clogged with vomit.
(d) The man Marya had sex with.
2. Why does Marya want to stay where she is?
(a) It provides her with a sense of security.
(b) She likes her bedroom there.
(c) She is afraid that she will be scorned elsewhere.
(d) She likes the friends she has made.
3. When she is given anesthesia for the dental extraction, what happens?
(a) She stops breathing.
(b) Her heart murmurs.
(c) She has dreams about her past.
(d) Her heart stops.
4. In the Afterword, Marya is having difficulty with ___________.
(a) Feeling sorry for herself.
(b) Writing her story.
(c) Talking to others about her pain.
(d) Hurting those she loves.
5. Why does Marya begin to cry after she has aborted the baby?
(a) She realizes that her problems are still not solved.
(b) She thinks she looks fat.
(c) She is afraid of her parents finding out.
(d) She realizes what she has done.
6. How will Marya change her life soon?
(a) She will fall deeper into herself.
(b) She will willingly go back into treatment.
(c) She will be forced to go to another facility.
(d) She will not be able to change.
7. When Marya practices anorexia, how does she feel?
(a) The happiest she has ever felt.
(c) Like she is completely in control of her life.
(d) Like she is losing control.
8. What lie does Mayra create to leave?
(a) She needs to be with her parents to survive.
(b) She says she was sexually abused as a child.
(c) She promises not to abuse herself anymore.
(d) She says that someone in the treatment center has been abusing her.
9. To Marya, there is no ___________ , only success or failure.
(a) Middle ground.
(d) Even ground.
10. Why is the act of feeling bones exciting for Marya?
(a) She can feel her anorexic body returning.
(b) It means she is dying, which she wants.
(c) She is able to control herself and her weight.
(d) She is on her way to recovery.
11. The antibiotic that the doctor gives Marya _______________.
(a) Makes her throw up.
(b) Makes her head hurt.
(c) Makes her not eat.
(d) Makes her want to eat more.
12. What does Marya tell her brother about her body?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is very weak.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is confident.
13. What keeps Marya eating?
(a) Her husband's will.
(b) Her dark passenger.
(c) The doctors from the hospital.
(d) She realizes what it is like to be a healthy human being.
14. How does Marya chicken out and not take advantage of her opportunity to get better?
(a) She drinks massive amounts or water and hides laxatives.
(b) She hides behind the friends she makes.
(c) She takes advantage of her new opportunity to grow.
(d) She refuses to leave her room.
15. What does Marya realize that her eating disorders have done to her body?
(a) Caused her to become stronger.
(b) Made her unattractive.
(c) Made her look the best she has ever looked.
(d) Made her more attractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. While she was writing the book, what else changed in her body?
2. What is the main part of this Interlude?
3. What does Mayra do at home while she is alone?
4. By Christmas, what does she weigh?
5. What does Marya tell her family about her recovery?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)