|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While doing research for this book, Marya spoke to _____________.
(a) Her mother.
(b) Another patient from Methodist Hospital.
(c) Kathi, the nurse from Methodist Hospital.
(d) The doctor who cared for her at Methodist Hospital.
2. What does Marya reveal to her psychiatrist?
(a) She hates her body.
(b) She is crazy.
(c) She has a lot of unprotected sex.
(d) She is bulimic.
3. What does Marya have to live with everyday?
(a) Her soul.
(b) What she did to her body in the past.
(c) How she will react to her past.
(d) Her mistakes.
4. To Mayra, what does sex do for her?
(a) Allows her to control men.
(b) Is pleasurable for her.
(c) Helps her feel a connection to men.
(d) Makes her feel trapped.
5. To live up to the rumors around her, what does Marya begin to do?
(a) Talk back to teachers.
(b) Try to do better in schoolk.
(c) Act like a snob.
(d) Sleep with skanky boys.
6. What does the introduction to the story show?
(a) Most people have an eating disorder.
(b) Anorexia has serious consequences.
(c) Eating disorders are not real disorders.
(d) Eating disorders are easily managed.
7. To Marya, what does life seem to be?
(a) A mistake for her to continue.
(b) Too difficult to live.
(c) Too long to live.
(d) She wants someone to care for her in life.
8. What does Marya realize about her lies?
(a) How obvious her lies were to her friends and family.
(b) How well she lied.
(c) Lying created many of her problems.
(d) Lies became a lifestyle.
9. As a result of her eating disorder, what would often happen to Marya?
(a) She would often fall.
(b) She would bite her fingernails.
(c) She would cough up blood.
(d) She would hit others.
10. Why does Marya believe that being wealth rather than poverty leads to being thin?
(a) Wealthy people enjoy more fun experiences.
(b) Poor people have poor diets.
(c) Wealthy people can afford gym memberships and trainers.
(d) Poor people are born fat.
11. In a ballet class, what does four-year-old Mayra feel about her own body?
(a) She is not as coordinated.
(b) It is different than the other little girls.
(c) It is awesome.
(d) She fits in with them.
12. What does Marya's visit to Methodist Hospital foreshadow?
(a) She will be checked in again.
(b) She will kill herself.
(c) She will never recover.
(d) Her life will end.
13. What does Marya welcome about her stay at the hospital?
(a) Her new friends.
(b) Her new clothes.
(c) The food she gets to eat.
(d) The routine that she is given.
14. Who persuades her to tell her parents about the disease?
(a) A good friend.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) A school counselor.
(d) Her therapist.
15. What was the lowest weight that Mayra got down to?
(a) 100 pounds.
(b) 80 pounds.
(c) 40 pounds.
(d) 52 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marya become extremely angry with a doctor?
2. What happens when Jane and Marya meet?
3. What is very rampant and obvious at Interlochen?
4. During her ninth grade year, Marya's bulimia and drug use combine to cause what?
5. When she became pregnant, what didn't Marya know about?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)