|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Growing up, how does Mayra feel in her body?
(a) She feels good about herself until someone puts her down.
(b) She does not feel like one with herself.
(c) She feels insecure.
(d) She thinks its wonderful.
2. Marya goes to the doctor complaining of ________________.
(a) Headaches and backaches.
(b) Intense sweating.
(c) Her anxiety.
(d) Her social life.
3. After moving to Minnesota, what does Marya often use to calm her nerves?
(a) She takes her mother's medication.
(b) She gets massages.
(c) Spends time with her grandmother.
(d) She tries to pray to calm herslef.
4. Who persuades her to tell her parents about the disease?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) A good friend.
(c) Her therapist.
(d) A school counselor.
5. Since many patients are bulimic, what must the doctors keep an eye on?
(a) Patients eating too much.
(b) Patients gaining weight too quickly.
(c) Patients throwing up in the bathroom.
(d) Patients taking laxatives.
6. To live up to the rumors around her, what does Marya begin to do?
(a) Act like a snob.
(b) Try to do better in schoolk.
(c) Talk back to teachers.
(d) Sleep with skanky boys.
7. To calm herself when she is alone at home after school, what does Marya do at first?
(b) Plays video games.
(c) Calls her BFF.
(d) Talks to her dolls.
8. Anorexics believe that they can live ______.
(a) Without their bodies.
(b) Without the consent of others.
(c) In their bodies.
(d) With full control.
9. At the age of 4, what does Marya claim to be?
10. Why does Marya become extremely angry with a doctor?
(a) He is not listening to Jane.
(b) He is acting nonchalant.
(c) He fails to realize the threat Jane is under.
(d) He reprimands Jane for her behavior.
11. What happens during Marya's pregnancy?
(a) Her father beats her causing her to loose the baby.
(b) Her body aborts her baby.
(c) She becomes very sick.
(d) She holds the baby until she is 6 months.
12. To keep up appearances of normalcy, what do Marya's parents do?
(a) Control Marya with all their rules.
(b) Stretch the boundaries of their idea of normal.
(c) Send Marya to boarding school.
(d) Let Marya run the show.
13. In a ballet class, what does four-year-old Mayra feel about her own body?
(a) She fits in with them.
(b) It is different than the other little girls.
(c) It is awesome.
(d) She is not as coordinated.
14. What happens when Jane and Marya meet?
(a) Marya becomes scared.
(b) Marya becomes happier.
(c) Marya thinks that Jane is having a stroke.
(d) Marya believes Jane is having a heart attack.
15. To this day, what does Marya say she misses about bulimia?
(a) The ability to rid her body of food.
(b) The ritual of the bulimia.
(c) The feelings of passion that it arises.
(d) The way it connects her to her body.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first Interlude of the book written?
2. How old is Marya when she becomes a fully developed woman?
3. When Marya turns seven, where does her father plan to take her?
4. In Marya's opinion, what does the American Dream prompt women to do?
5. Since her blood pressure might drop suddenly, Marya could have ___________.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)