|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which area of the U.S. did Washington tour in April of 1791?
2. What city's newspaper did Washington release his farewell address?
3. Who did Washington hire as a secretary?
4. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
5. Who became the new Attorney General after the death of William Bradford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "Washington's Legacy" described in Chapter 23 "Goodbye to War"?
2. What was Washington's cabinets reaction to rescinding the Provision Order?
3. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
4. How did Washington visualize the economy?
5. How did Washington feel about the leadership role at the convention?
6. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
7. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
8. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
9. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
10. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington displayed strong leadership throughout his life. During Washington's childhood, through his military career, and even into Washington's presidency, he displayed leadership characteristics. Select three leadership characteristics Washington possessed and address the following:
Part 1) How did Washington develop each leadership characteristic?
Part 2) Provide an example in which Washington uses the characteristic.
Part 3) Did the development of these leadership characteristics help Washington as President?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Washington's life, Washington experienced people who were critical of the way Washington operated. From Washington's time in the military to his presidency, Washington faced critics. Near the end of Washington's Presidency, Washington became the target of personal attacks.
Part 1) How did Washington react to the personal attacks and critics?
Part 2) Describe Washington's relationship with Governor Shirley and Brigadier General Forbes.
Part 3) As Washington's presidency came to an end, what was the public opinion of Washington? How did this effect Washington's feelings about himself?
Essay Topic 3
The social life of a Washington is comparable to the social life of a president today. Compare the social life of Washington with the social life of the current president.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)