|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
2. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
3. Who was appointed to succeed Jefferson as Secretary of State?
4. Who wrote Washington begging him to stay in office?
5. Who became the new Attorney General after the death of William Bradford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
2. Describe the role of Gouverneur Morris in 1791.
3. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
4. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
5. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
6. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
7. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
8. How did Washington's mother, Mary Bell Washington, feel about her son's duty to his country?
9. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
10. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington was in major need for a victory. Winter was setting in and it was the night before Christmas.
Part 1) Describe the events that transpired as Washington crossed the Delaware River.
Part 2) What were Washington's reasons to attack on Christmas Day?
Part 3) How did the enemy react to the Christmas Day attack? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The French Revolution became a major conflict in Europe. Washington feared backlash in the United States from the pro-French sentiment.
Part 1) Describe Washington's fear of an uprising due to the French sentiment.
Part 2) Why did Washington feel it was necessary to stay out of the French Revolution?
Part 3) What precedence did Washington set regarding foreign policy?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson and Hamilton didn't have the same ideas on a lot of issues. Washington was often caught in the middle, as both men were trusted advisers. Discuss the issues that kept Jefferson and Hamilton from unification.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)