|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
2. What injury did Washington receive when thrown from his horse going to Mount Vernon?
3. Who proposed the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
4. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
5. What did Washington think would happen to the government if democratic societies continue to thrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
2. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
3. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
4. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
5. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
6. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
7. Why was Jefferson concerned about President Washington's trip to the southern states?
8. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
9. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
10. How did Washington visualize the economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery was an issue Washington dealt with his entire life. Washington's father owned slaves and by the end of his life, Washington owned a great number of slaves. Washington planned to set his slaves free.
Part 1) Explain Washington's feelings on slavery.
Part 2) How did Washington feel slaves should be treated? How was Washington's feelings different from most others in the country?
Part 3) Discuss the viewpoint of permanent marriage for slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Washington retired several times from public service. After leaving the Presidency, Washington felt that would be the last time he retired. After the fallout over the agents XYZ, John Adams called Washington out of retirement. It is suggested by Flexner on several occasions that Adams was jealous of Washington.
Part 1) Analyze Washington and Adams relationship. Did they get along? What did they have in common? How did they treat one another?
Part 2) Explain reasons for Adams being jealous of Washington and how it affects their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
The social life of a Washington is comparable to the social life of a president today. Compare the social life of Washington with the social life of the current president.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)