|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was appointed to succeed Jefferson as Secretary of State?
2. What disease plagued the area around Mount Vernon in 1793?
3. What injury did Washington receive when thrown from his horse going to Mount Vernon?
4. Who was seen as Washington's only rival in leadership at the convention?
5. The delegates argued not only during debates, but also argued over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
2. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
3. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
4. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
5. How did the public react to the ratification of the Jay Treaty?
6. What was Washington's cabinets reaction to rescinding the Provision Order?
7. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
8. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
9. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
10. How did Randolph react after returning to the President's room after reading the letter stating that Randolph was a traitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The French Revolution became a major conflict in Europe. Washington feared backlash in the United States from the pro-French sentiment.
Part 1) Describe Washington's fear of an uprising due to the French sentiment.
Part 2) Why did Washington feel it was necessary to stay out of the French Revolution?
Part 3) What precedence did Washington set regarding foreign policy?
Essay Topic 2
Most successful people have a support system to support and encourage them in the good and bad times. George Washington had people in his life that encouraged, supported, and taught him. For each person listed below, discuss their relationship with Washington and how they were mentors to Washington as he progressed through life.
1) Mary Ball Washington
3) Christopher Gist
4) Sally Fairfax
Essay Topic 3
After serving nine years in the military, Washington struggled adjusting to civilian life.
Part 1) Describe Washington's adjustment to civilian life.
Part 2) What changes took place at Mount Vernon?
Part 3) What roles did Washington fill simultaneously at Mount Vernon? Why were they important?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)