|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the Federalists to put pressure on Washington calm Congress down?
2. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
3. Which area of the U.S. did Washington tour in April of 1791?
4. Who replaced Henry Knox as Secretary of War?
5. Who was opposed to the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
2. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
3. Why were the Republicans upset over the Jay Mission?
4. Describe Edmund Randolph's background and qualifications for Washington's cabinet.
5. What was "Washington's Legacy" described in Chapter 23 "Goodbye to War"?
6. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
7. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
8. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
9. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
10. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
Essay Topic 2
The French Revolution became a major conflict in Europe. Washington feared backlash in the United States from the pro-French sentiment.
Part 1) Describe Washington's fear of an uprising due to the French sentiment.
Part 2) Why did Washington feel it was necessary to stay out of the French Revolution?
Part 3) What precedence did Washington set regarding foreign policy?
Essay Topic 3
Washington was always looking for ways to improve as an officer, as well as improve the Continental Army. Describe Washington's vision for the Continental Army. Describe the three areas of servicemen Washington envisioned and their duties.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)