|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Washington choose to begin planning the "Federal city"?
2. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
3. What were Washington's feelings on attending the Constitutional Convention?
4. What time was dinner usually served at Mount Vernon?
5. Who was Monroe's house guest who was also known as a "radical" American citizen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Randolph react after returning to the President's room after reading the letter stating that Randolph was a traitor?
2. What was "Washington's Legacy" described in Chapter 23 "Goodbye to War"?
3. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
4. Why was Jefferson concerned about President Washington's trip to the southern states?
5. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
6. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
7. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
8. What was Washington's cabinets reaction to rescinding the Provision Order?
9. How did the public react to the ratification of the Jay Treaty?
10. As Washington left for the Constitution Convention in 1788, several hazards remained. Describe the hazards.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery was an issue Washington dealt with his entire life. Washington's father owned slaves and by the end of his life, Washington owned a great number of slaves. Washington planned to set his slaves free.
Part 1) Explain Washington's feelings on slavery.
Part 2) How did Washington feel slaves should be treated? How was Washington's feelings different from most others in the country?
Part 3) Discuss the viewpoint of permanent marriage for slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Washington and the colonists began feeling that the British taxes and acts became oppressive. They felt that the rights they had were taken away.
Part 1) Discuss the events that made the Washington and the colonists feel oppressed.
Part 2) Explain how the colonists reacted to the specific acts and taxes passed by the British Parliament.
Part 3) Discuss Washington's reaction to the way the colonists responded to the tea tax in Boston.
Essay Topic 3
The French Revolution became a major conflict in Europe. Washington feared backlash in the United States from the pro-French sentiment.
Part 1) Describe Washington's fear of an uprising due to the French sentiment.
Part 2) Why did Washington feel it was necessary to stay out of the French Revolution?
Part 3) What precedence did Washington set regarding foreign policy?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)