|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaced Hamilton as Secretary of Treasury?
2. What group did the Indians hate the most in 1783?
3. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
4. Who wrote Washington begging him to stay in office?
5. What time was dinner usually served at Mount Vernon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
2. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
3. How did Washington's mother, Mary Bell Washington, feel about her son's duty to his country?
4. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
5. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
6. Why were the Republicans upset over the Jay Mission?
7. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
8. Why was Jefferson concerned about President Washington's trip to the southern states?
9. What was "Washington's Legacy" described in Chapter 23 "Goodbye to War"?
10. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Washington stayed at Mount Vernon various activities kept Washington busy.
Part 1) Discuss Washington's activities while at Mount Vernon.
Part 2) What renovations were being done to the house?
Part 3) Describe the property and the amenities offered at Mount Vernon.
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson and Hamilton didn't have the same ideas on a lot of issues. Washington was often caught in the middle, as both men were trusted advisers. Discuss the issues that kept Jefferson and Hamilton from unification.
Essay Topic 3
Washington died relatively quickly after becoming ill. Washington was caught in a storm while making his rounds at Mount Vernon. Describe the final days of the Presidents life. Describe the process by which the doctors attempted to save Washington.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)