|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was opposed to the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
2. What was in the worst shape in Mount Vernon?
3. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
4. Who was Monroe's house guest who was also known as a "radical" American citizen?
5. How many pounds of sterling did Washington loose during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Washington's mother, Mary Bell Washington, feel about her son's duty to his country?
2. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
3. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
4. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
5. Describe Edmund Randolph's background and qualifications for Washington's cabinet.
6. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
7. Describe the role of Gouverneur Morris in 1791.
8. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
9. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
10. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington was always looking for ways to improve as an officer, as well as improve the Continental Army. Describe Washington's vision for the Continental Army. Describe the three areas of servicemen Washington envisioned and their duties.
Essay Topic 2
Most successful people have a support system to support and encourage them in the good and bad times. George Washington had people in his life that encouraged, supported, and taught him. For each person listed below, discuss their relationship with Washington and how they were mentors to Washington as he progressed through life.
1) Mary Ball Washington
3) Christopher Gist
4) Sally Fairfax
Essay Topic 3
Washington becomes the first President of the United States by a unanimous vote of the electoral college.
Part 1) What was the purpose of the electoral college?
Part 2) How did Washington spend his time while waiting for the confirmation of the election results?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)