|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reported to the British government that the U.S. would agree to a "watered down" neutrality?
2. Who was appointed Minister to Holland?
3. What was Washington's favorite "charity"?
4. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
5. How did Washington feel when it came to foreign issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
2. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
3. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
4. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
5. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
6. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
7. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
8. Describe the role of Gouverneur Morris in 1791.
9. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
10. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
Essay Topic 2
When Washington stayed at Mount Vernon various activities kept Washington busy.
Part 1) Discuss Washington's activities while at Mount Vernon.
Part 2) What renovations were being done to the house?
Part 3) Describe the property and the amenities offered at Mount Vernon.
Essay Topic 3
The social life of a Washington is comparable to the social life of a president today. Compare the social life of Washington with the social life of the current president.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)