|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was dinner usually served at Mount Vernon?
2. Which country was nearing a revolution that might cause some foreign affairs issues?
3. What was Washington glad that John Adams didn't want from the presidential mansion?
4. How did Washington feel about Mount Vernon after serving eight years as President?
5. How many miles did Washington keep travel after leaving Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
2. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
3. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
4. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
5. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
6. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
7. As Washington left for the Constitution Convention in 1788, several hazards remained. Describe the hazards.
8. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
9. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
10. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Washington's life, Washington experienced people who were critical of the way Washington operated. From Washington's time in the military to his presidency, Washington faced critics. Near the end of Washington's Presidency, Washington became the target of personal attacks.
Part 1) How did Washington react to the personal attacks and critics?
Part 2) Describe Washington's relationship with Governor Shirley and Brigadier General Forbes.
Part 3) As Washington's presidency came to an end, what was the public opinion of Washington? How did this effect Washington's feelings about himself?
Essay Topic 2
Most successful people have a support system to support and encourage them in the good and bad times. George Washington had people in his life that encouraged, supported, and taught him. For each person listed below, discuss their relationship with Washington and how they were mentors to Washington as he progressed through life.
1) Mary Ball Washington
3) Christopher Gist
4) Sally Fairfax
Essay Topic 3
Washington was in major need for a victory. Winter was setting in and it was the night before Christmas.
Part 1) Describe the events that transpired as Washington crossed the Delaware River.
Part 2) What were Washington's reasons to attack on Christmas Day?
Part 3) How did the enemy react to the Christmas Day attack? Why?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)