|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Washington was elected by the electoral college on February 4, 1789. On what day did Washington receive formal notification of his election?
2. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
3. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
4. Who was responsible for representing Washington's government in Paris?
5. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
2. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
3. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
4. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
5. How did Washington's mother, Mary Bell Washington, feel about her son's duty to his country?
6. How did Washington visualize the economy?
7. As Washington left for the Constitution Convention in 1788, several hazards remained. Describe the hazards.
8. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
9. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
10. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington was always looking for ways to improve as an officer, as well as improve the Continental Army. Describe Washington's vision for the Continental Army. Describe the three areas of servicemen Washington envisioned and their duties.
Essay Topic 2
Washington becomes the first President of the United States by a unanimous vote of the electoral college.
Part 1) What was the purpose of the electoral college?
Part 2) How did Washington spend his time while waiting for the confirmation of the election results?
Essay Topic 3
Washington's vision for the economy is for a mixed economy focusing on agriculture and business.
Part 1) Describe Washington's vision for the economy.
Part 2) How did Hamilton view the economic financial structure?
Part 3) How did Jefferson view the economic financial structure?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)