|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
2. Who was seen as Washington's only rival in leadership at the convention?
3. On what day in 1783 did Washington arrive in Mount Vernon?
4. What did Washington see the national capital as?
5. How long was the published pamphlet that angrily attacked George Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
2. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
3. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
4. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
5. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
6. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
7. What was Washington's cabinets reaction to rescinding the Provision Order?
8. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
9. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
10. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington was in major need for a victory. Winter was setting in and it was the night before Christmas.
Part 1) Describe the events that transpired as Washington crossed the Delaware River.
Part 2) What were Washington's reasons to attack on Christmas Day?
Part 3) How did the enemy react to the Christmas Day attack? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Washington displayed strong leadership throughout his life. During Washington's childhood, through his military career, and even into Washington's presidency, he displayed leadership characteristics. Select three leadership characteristics Washington possessed and address the following:
Part 1) How did Washington develop each leadership characteristic?
Part 2) Provide an example in which Washington uses the characteristic.
Part 3) Did the development of these leadership characteristics help Washington as President?
Essay Topic 3
Washington struggled to recruit and support an adequate army.
Part 1) Explain the reasons Washington struggled to build an army.
Part 2) What environmental factors deterred men to join?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)