|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The delegates argued not only during debates, but also argued over what?
2. Which state was 15 times more populous than Delaware?
3. Why did Washington have surgery in 1789?
4. How did Washington feel about the "spirit of the party" politics?
5. What were Washington's feelings on attending the Constitutional Convention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
2. Why was it difficult to establish a new government according to Washington?
3. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
4. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
5. As Washington left for the Constitution Convention in 1788, several hazards remained. Describe the hazards.
6. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
7. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
8. Describe Washington's concern over the French Revolution.
9. Why were the Republicans upset over the Jay Mission?
10. Why was Jefferson concerned about President Washington's trip to the southern states?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington's cabinet was made up of quality men, whom Washington truly respected. For the cabinet members, discuss their relationship with Washington. Also, discuss one significant issue they helped advise Washington on.
1) Thomas Jefferson
2) John Jay
3) Henry Knox
4) Alexander Hamilton
Essay Topic 2
The social life of a Washington is comparable to the social life of a president today. Compare the social life of Washington with the social life of the current president.
Essay Topic 3
Slavery was an issue Washington dealt with his entire life. Washington's father owned slaves and by the end of his life, Washington owned a great number of slaves. Washington planned to set his slaves free.
Part 1) Explain Washington's feelings on slavery.
Part 2) How did Washington feel slaves should be treated? How was Washington's feelings different from most others in the country?
Part 3) Discuss the viewpoint of permanent marriage for slaves.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)