|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city's merchants established a paper money system that would not depreciate?
2. What art did George Washington learn as a teenager?
3. Which command did Washington allow to become semi-autonomous?
4. What state was George Washington born?
5. What was George Washington's most prominent relative's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Alien Act.
2. Why were the Republicans upset over the Jay Mission?
3. How did the writing of "The Federalist" persuade Washington?
4. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
5. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
6. How did Martha Washington support her husband?
7. What did Washington's plan offer black workers?
8. Describe the British encampment in Germantown.
9. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
10. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington becomes the first President of the United States by a unanimous vote of the electoral college.
Part 1) What was the purpose of the electoral college?
Part 2) How did Washington spend his time while waiting for the confirmation of the election results?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery was an issue Washington dealt with his entire life. Washington's father owned slaves and by the end of his life, Washington owned a great number of slaves. Washington planned to set his slaves free.
Part 1) Explain Washington's feelings on slavery.
Part 2) How did Washington feel slaves should be treated? How was Washington's feelings different from most others in the country?
Part 3) Discuss the viewpoint of permanent marriage for slaves.
Essay Topic 3
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
This section contains 1,590 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)