|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objected to Washington's participation in military activities?
2. Where did Washington believe the war would be won?
3. What state did Cornwallis "rage through like an invincible lion"?
4. When Washington was named head of the Continental Army, how did he feel?
5. What art did George Washington learn as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did General John Forbes dislike George Washington?
2. In Chapter 16 "The Road Turns Upward," why did Washington re-think attacking the British after being completely prepared?
3. Who was General Nathanael Green?
4. What were Washington's feelings on the Boston Tea Party?
5. What was Washington's favorite military strategy?
6. What was the British response after the Battle of Monmouth?
7. What was unique about George Washington versus other officers regarding combat?
8. How did George Washington feel about slavery?
9. How did Benedict Arnold attempt to impress his love, Peggy Shipman?
10. Describe the British encampment in Germantown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington not only battled the enemy, but in some cases, battled Congress for supplies and funding.
Part 1) Describe how funding was supposed to be collected from the states.
Part 2) Why did this method of funding fail?
Part 3) As the war progressed, discuss Jefferson and Hamilton's suggestion for funding Washington's army.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Washington's life, Washington experienced people who were critical of the way Washington operated. From Washington's time in the military to his presidency, Washington faced critics. Near the end of Washington's Presidency, Washington became the target of personal attacks.
Part 1) How did Washington react to the personal attacks and critics?
Part 2) Describe Washington's relationship with Governor Shirley and Brigadier General Forbes.
Part 3) As Washington's presidency came to an end, what was the public opinion of Washington? How did this effect Washington's feelings about himself?
Essay Topic 3
Washington struggled to recruit and support an adequate army.
Part 1) Explain the reasons Washington struggled to build an army.
Part 2) What environmental factors deterred men to join?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)