|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who realized that " Washington's magic was still so great that Congress would not vote to discharge him"?
2. Who covered his face in fear that Washington had been killed?
3. What did Washington enjoy reading?
4. Who objected to Washington's participation in military activities?
5. When Washington was six, his family moved to which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George Washington fortify the area of Dorchester Neck?
2. Why did George Washington dislike Thomas Conway?
3. Describe what George Washington was by birth and training according to Flexner.
4. What was Washington's favorite military strategy?
5. Washington began constructing a village outside of Philadelphia. Describe the huts and the living conditions of the soldiers.
6. What was bothering Washington as 1775 was coming to an end?
7. Describe Cornwallis and Greene's military moves in 1781.
8. What were Washington's feelings on the Boston Tea Party?
9. Describe Fort Le Boeuf.
10. Why did General John Forbes dislike George Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
Essay Topic 2
Washington's cabinet was made up of quality men, whom Washington truly respected. For the cabinet members, discuss their relationship with Washington. Also, discuss one significant issue they helped advise Washington on.
1) Thomas Jefferson
2) John Jay
3) Henry Knox
4) Alexander Hamilton
Essay Topic 3
Slavery was an issue Washington dealt with his entire life. Washington's father owned slaves and by the end of his life, Washington owned a great number of slaves. Washington planned to set his slaves free.
Part 1) Explain Washington's feelings on slavery.
Part 2) How did Washington feel slaves should be treated? How was Washington's feelings different from most others in the country?
Part 3) Discuss the viewpoint of permanent marriage for slaves.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)