|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the British raiders attacked the legislature, where did Thomas Jefferson flee?
2. When did Washington receive a draft of the Declaration of Independence?
3. After returning to Mount Vernon, what did Flexner state Washington invested his time in?
4. What state was George Washington born?
5. How many years did Washington want military tours of duty to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process Dr. Craik used in trying to help Washington.
2. How did Washington visualize the economy?
3. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
4. How did George Washington fortify the area of Dorchester Neck?
5. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
6. How did the public react to the ratification of the Jay Treaty?
7. What was unique about George Washington versus other officers regarding combat?
8. Describe what the Provision Order permitted.
9. How did Washington react to various pamphlets that circulated after his retirement?
10. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
Essay Topic 1
Washington's cabinet was made up of quality men, whom Washington truly respected. For the cabinet members, discuss their relationship with Washington. Also, discuss one significant issue they helped advise Washington on.
1) Thomas Jefferson
2) John Jay
3) Henry Knox
4) Alexander Hamilton
Essay Topic 2
After serving nine years in the military, Washington struggled adjusting to civilian life.
Part 1) Describe Washington's adjustment to civilian life.
Part 2) What changes took place at Mount Vernon?
Part 3) What roles did Washington fill simultaneously at Mount Vernon? Why were they important?
Essay Topic 3
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)