|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who realized that " Washington's magic was still so great that Congress would not vote to discharge him"?
2. What did the American colonists throw overboard into the Boston Harbor?
3. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
4. Which person surprised the British at Stony Point?
5. What did Washington live in fear of daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George Washington fortify the area of Dorchester Neck?
2. What was unique about George Washington versus other officers regarding combat?
3. Describe Horatio Gates appearance.
4. Explain Washington's crossing of the Delaware River in 1777.
5. How did George Washington feel about slavery?
6. How did Martha Washington support her husband?
7. What were Washington's feelings on the Boston Tea Party?
8. What was Washington's favorite military strategy?
9. Who was General Nathanael Green?
10. What was the British response after the Battle of Monmouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Washington's life, Washington experienced people who were critical of the way Washington operated. From Washington's time in the military to his presidency, Washington faced critics. Near the end of Washington's Presidency, Washington became the target of personal attacks.
Part 1) How did Washington react to the personal attacks and critics?
Part 2) Describe Washington's relationship with Governor Shirley and Brigadier General Forbes.
Part 3) As Washington's presidency came to an end, what was the public opinion of Washington? How did this effect Washington's feelings about himself?
Essay Topic 2
Washington was in major need for a victory. Winter was setting in and it was the night before Christmas.
Part 1) Describe the events that transpired as Washington crossed the Delaware River.
Part 2) What were Washington's reasons to attack on Christmas Day?
Part 3) How did the enemy react to the Christmas Day attack? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Washington's cabinet was made up of quality men, whom Washington truly respected. For the cabinet members, discuss their relationship with Washington. Also, discuss one significant issue they helped advise Washington on.
1) Thomas Jefferson
2) John Jay
3) Henry Knox
4) Alexander Hamilton
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)