|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of death was ordered for spies?
2. Who was Thomas Mifflin?
3. Who was installed as the British officer in charge of American forces in 1754?
4. How far did Washington's troops have to march to reach the Hessian soldiers' encampment?
5. How many well-fed and well-armed men did Washington have at West Point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what George Washington was by birth and training according to Flexner.
2. Who was General Nathanael Green?
3. Describe the British troop movement in the days of that led to the arrival of the Declaration of Independence in New York.
4. What were Washington's feelings on the Boston Tea Party?
5. Explain Washington's crossing of the Delaware River in 1777.
6. Describe the British encampment in Germantown.
7. What was the source of Washington's excitement in July of 1778?
8. How did Benedict Arnold attempt to impress his love, Peggy Shipman?
9. Describe George Washington's childhood home.
10. In Chapter 16 "The Road Turns Upward," why did Washington re-think attacking the British after being completely prepared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Washington's army was aided by the French on more than one occasion. Flexner hinted to some disagreement and ill feelings between Washington and some of the French officers. For each of the people listed, discuss their relationship with Washington. What were their feelings towards one another? How did their relationship affect the outcome of working together?
1) Colonel Duportail
2) Thomas Conway
Essay Topic 2
Washington struggled to recruit and support an adequate army.
Part 1) Explain the reasons Washington struggled to build an army.
Part 2) What environmental factors deterred men to join?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson and Hamilton didn't have the same ideas on a lot of issues. Washington was often caught in the middle, as both men were trusted advisers. Discuss the issues that kept Jefferson and Hamilton from unification.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)