|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group did the Indians hate the most in 1783?
(a) Spanish Louisiana.
(b) British Canada.
(c) The United States.
(d) The French.
2. Which division of American society contained rocky fields with no agricultural aristocracy?
(a) New England.
(b) Middle colonies.
(c) The South.
(d) The Frontier.
3. What state did the Whiskey rebellion take place?
(d) New York.
4. Washington was elected by the electoral college on February 4, 1789. On what day did Washington receive formal notification of his election?
(a) March 14, 1789.
(b) February 14, 1789.
(c) May 14, 1789.
(d) April 14, 1789.
5. What was Washington's favorite "charity"?
(c) Health care.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country did Washington believe the pamphlet "Common Sense" was influenced?
2. Who was surprised that Washington ratified the Jay Treaty?
3. Who was opposed to the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
4. What did the letter that Pickering gave Washington reveal?
5. Which city was named the permanent capital in 1790?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
2. How did Washington's mother, Mary Bell Washington, feel about her son's duty to his country?
3. How did Washington visualize the economy?
4. Why were the Republicans upset over the Jay Mission?
5. Describe Washington's "taste" in art.
6. How did Randolph react after returning to the President's room after reading the letter stating that Randolph was a traitor?
7. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
8. Describe Edmund Randolph's background and qualifications for Washington's cabinet.
9. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
10. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)