|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Washington see the national capital as?
(a) A place to argue.
(b) A place to physically fight.
(c) A place to protest.
(d) A place to reconcile disagreements.
2. Who was opposed to the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Adams.
3. How many pounds of sterling did Washington loose during the war?
(a) 25,000 pounds.
(b) 10,000 pounds.
(c) 5,000 pounds.
(d) 15,000 pounds.
4. Washington was elected by the electoral college on February 4, 1789. On what day did Washington receive formal notification of his election?
(a) February 14, 1789.
(b) April 14, 1789.
(c) May 14, 1789.
(d) March 14, 1789.
5. Who sat in the reserved seat to the right of Martha Washington at her tea parties?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The wife of John Jay.
(c) Abigail Adams.
(d) The mayor of Philadelphia's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Washington feel about Mount Vernon after serving eight years as President?
2. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
3. Who did Washington hire as a secretary?
4. Who was appointed Minister to Holland?
5. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Alexander Hamilton oppose the idea of "discrimination"?
2. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
3. Describe Washington's visit to Annapolis in December of 1783.
4. What were Washington's concerns about England and France fighting?
5. As Washington left for the Constitution Convention in 1788, several hazards remained. Describe the hazards.
6. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
7. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
8. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
9. Why was Jefferson concerned about President Washington's trip to the southern states?
10. Who was Pierre Charles L'Enfant?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)