|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day in 1783 did Washington arrive in Mount Vernon?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) New Years Day.
(d) His birthday.
2. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
(a) Low public opinion.
(b) Fear of being killed.
(c) Loss of mental power.
(d) Fear of anarchy.
3. When did word of a European country's revolution reach the U.S.?
(a) June 1792.
(b) June 1776.
(c) December 1776.
(d) December 1792.
4. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 14 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 5 days.
5. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
(b) Sitting at his desk.
(d) Coffee with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Washington's feelings on attending the Constitutional Convention?
2. Who did Washington appoint as Secretary of War?
3. What did Washington think would happen to the government if democratic societies continue to thrive?
4. Which state was 15 times more populous than Delaware?
5. Which two people denounced the Neutrality Proclamation in writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Washington appoint Monroe as envoy to France in 1796?
2. Name at least four roles Washington filled as a retired general living in Mount Vernon.
3. How did the public react to the ratification of the Jay Treaty?
4. Describe Washington's feelings on the individual versus societies or parties.
5. Describe Hamilton's role in helping Washington write his farewell speech.
6. How did Washington feel about the leadership role at the convention?
7. How did Washington visualize the economy?
8. Why would it have been difficult for Washington to call a special session of Congress?
9. What was the Pennsylvania Democratic Society?
10. Describe William Maclay's feelings on George Washington.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)