|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
2. What disease plagued the area around Mount Vernon in 1793?
(b) Yellow fever.
3. Who fought Washington on the idea of establishing a long-term army?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) James Madison.
(d) John Adams.
4. What did the Treaty of Alliance commit the U.S. to protect?
(a) All French ships.
(c) The French West Indies.
(d) French settlements in South America.
5. What British governmental decree permitted the removal of goods from neutral bottoms?
(a) Federalist Order.
(b) Neutrality Order.
(c) Provision Order.
(d) Consolato del Mare.
6. What was Washington's favorite "charity"?
(a) Health care.
7. How did the people feel that Washington was living?
(a) A little below most of the people.
(b) Better than most of the people.
(c) About the same as many people.
(d) Too extravagantly.
8. Who helped prepare Washington's farewell address?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) James Madison.
9. How long was the published pamphlet that angrily attacked George Washington?
(a) 75 pages.
(b) 50 pages.
(c) 103 pages.
(d) 100 pages.
10. What imaginary line was the border for very little capital investment?
(a) North-South line.
(b) East-West line.
(c) Mason-Dixon line.
(d) No Compromise line.
11. How did Washington feel when it came to foreign issues?
(a) He sided with Britain.
(b) He thought it was important to stay neutral.
(c) He paid another country to get involved for us.
(d) He sided with the French.
12. What was in the worst shape in Mount Vernon?
(a) Washington's farms.
(b) The church.
(c) Washington's house.
(d) The streets.
13. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
14. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 5 days.
15. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
(a) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaced Hamilton as Secretary of Treasury?
2. Which two states chartered the Potomac Canal Company?
3. Who did Washington appoint as Secretary of War?
4. Who reported to the British government that the U.S. would agree to a "watered down" neutrality?
5. Who was surprised that Washington ratified the Jay Treaty?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)