|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Washington feel when it came to foreign issues?
(a) He sided with the French.
(b) He paid another country to get involved for us.
(c) He thought it was important to stay neutral.
(d) He sided with Britain.
2. Who did Washington choose to begin planning the "Federal city"?
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Pierre Charles L'Enfant.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
3. Who replaced Hamilton as Secretary of Treasury?
(a) Oliver Wolcott Jr.
(b) Timothy Pickering.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Edmund Randolph.
4. Who did Washington appoint to the position of Attorney General?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Edmund Randolph.
(c) Henry Knox.
(d) John Jay.
5. Why did Washington have surgery in 1789?
(a) A broken bone.
(c) A war injury.
(d) A tumor.
6. Which division of American society contained rocky fields with no agricultural aristocracy?
(a) The Frontier.
(b) Middle colonies.
(c) New England.
(d) The South.
7. What was Washington glad that John Adams didn't want from the presidential mansion?
(c) Fine wines.
8. Who did Washington appoint as Secretary of War?
(a) John Jay.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) James Madison.
9. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
(a) Fear of anarchy.
(b) Loss of mental power.
(c) Fear of being killed.
(d) Low public opinion.
10. What imaginary line was the border for very little capital investment?
(a) East-West line.
(b) North-South line.
(c) No Compromise line.
(d) Mason-Dixon line.
11. After Washington left New York in 1783, where did he go?
12. Who replaced Henry Knox as Secretary of War?
(a) Edmund Randolph.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Timothy Pickering.
(d) Oliver Wolcott Jr.
13. What did the Treaty of Alliance commit the U.S. to protect?
(b) French settlements in South America.
(c) All French ships.
(d) The French West Indies.
14. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
(a) Three warships.
(b) Ten warships.
(c) Fifteen warships.
(d) Five warships.
15. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
(c) Sitting at his desk.
(d) Coffee with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country was nearing a revolution that might cause some foreign affairs issues?
2. Who distrusted Washington and was suspicious of Philadelphia society?
3. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
4. What did Washington think would happen to the government if democratic societies continue to thrive?
5. What disease plagued Philadelphia in August 1793?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)