|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
(a) Ten warships.
(b) Three warships.
(c) Five warships.
(d) Fifteen warships.
2. Who reported to the British government that the U.S. would agree to a "watered down" neutrality?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) John Jay.
(c) George Hammond.
(d) General Howe.
3. What did the British say they would do once the peace treaty was signed?
(a) Attack New York.
(b) Evacuate New York.
(c) Leave Philadelphia.
(d) Attack Trenton.
4. Which state boycotted the convention?
(b) Rhode Island.
(d) South Carolina.
5. On what day in 1783 did Washington arrive in Mount Vernon?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) His birthday.
(d) New Years Day.
6. Who was appointed Minister to Holland?
(a) Thomas Pinckney.
(b) William Short.
(c) Gouverneur Morris
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
7. Whose resignation did Washington receive on July 31, 1793?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Jay.
8. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
(a) Coffee with friends.
(b) Sitting at his desk.
9. Why did Washington have surgery in 1789?
(a) A tumor.
(b) A war injury.
(d) A broken bone.
10. What was Washington's favorite "charity"?
(b) Health care.
11. What injury did Washington receive when thrown from his horse going to Mount Vernon?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A head injury.
(c) A "wrench" in his back.
(d) A broken hand.
12. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
13. What were Washington's feelings on attending the Constitutional Convention?
(a) He dreaded attending.
(b) He was excited to attend.
(c) He felt obligated to attend.
(d) He was anxious to attend.
14. Washington was elected by the electoral college on February 4, 1789. On what day did Washington receive formal notification of his election?
(a) March 14, 1789.
(b) May 14, 1789.
(c) February 14, 1789.
(d) April 14, 1789.
15. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
(a) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was appointed to succeed Jefferson as Secretary of State?
2. After Washington left New York in 1783, where did he go?
3. Where did Edmund Charles Genet's warship land?
4. Who did Washington appoint to the position of Attorney General?
5. The delegates argued not only during debates, but also argued over what?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)