|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did word of a European country's revolution reach the U.S.?
(a) December 1776.
(b) June 1792.
(c) June 1776.
(d) December 1792.
2. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
3. What city's newspaper did Washington release his farewell address?
(b) New York.
4. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
(c) Coffee with friends.
(d) Sitting at his desk.
5. What city did Washington ask his cabinet to meet?
(c) Mount Vernon.
6. Who replaced Hamilton as Secretary of Treasury?
(a) Timothy Pickering.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Oliver Wolcott Jr.
(d) Edmund Randolph.
7. Who did Washington hire as a secretary?
(a) David Humphreys.
(b) James Rumsey.
(c) Tobias Lear.
(d) John Fitch.
8. What did the letter that Pickering gave Washington reveal?
(a) Bradford was a traitor.
(b) Randolph was a traitor.
(c) Wolcott was a traitor.
(d) Hamilton was a traitor.
9. Who sat in the reserved seat to the right of Martha Washington at her tea parties?
(a) The mayor of Philadelphia's wife.
(b) Abigail Adams.
(c) George Washington.
(d) The wife of John Jay.
10. Who was appointed Minister to Holland?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Thomas Pinckney.
(c) William Short.
(d) Gouverneur Morris
11. Who wrote Washington begging him to stay in office?
(a) Eliza Powel.
(b) Peggy Shipman.
(c) Sally Fairfax.
(d) Martha Washington.
12. Which two people denounced the Neutrality Proclamation in writing?
(a) Jefferson and Madison.
(b) Monroe and Hamilton.
(c) Madison and Monroe.
(d) Jefferson and Hamilton.
13. Why did Washington have surgery in 1789?
(a) A war injury.
(b) A tumor.
(d) A broken bone.
14. How did Washington feel about the "spirit of the party" politics?
(a) Washington took a neutral stance when discussing political parties.
(b) Washington believed parties were good to represent all people.
(c) Washington disagreed with parties.
(d) Washington did not make any comments regarding parties.
15. Which country did Washington believe the pamphlet "Common Sense" was influenced?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease plagued the area around Mount Vernon in 1793?
2. What was Washington glad that John Adams didn't want from the presidential mansion?
3. Who was opposed to the idea of "discrimination" with regard to finances?
4. How many pounds of sterling did Washington loose during the war?
5. Who was noted as being an "Anglophobe"?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)