|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease plagued the area around Mount Vernon in 1793?
(c) Yellow fever.
2. What did Jefferson study while in Europe?
3. On what day in 1783 did Washington arrive in Mount Vernon?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) New Years Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) His birthday.
4. What was in the worst shape in Mount Vernon?
(a) The streets.
(b) Washington's house.
(c) The church.
(d) Washington's farms.
5. Where did Edmund Charles Genet's warship land?
(a) Trenton, NJ.
(b) Charleston, SC.
(c) Richmond, VA.
(d) Philadelphia, PA.
6. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 14 days.
(d) 3 days.
7. Who worked out a code with Jefferson to communicate secretly with the leaders of the opposition?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) James Monroe.
(c) James Madison.
(d) John Adams.
8. When did word of a European country's revolution reach the U.S.?
(a) June 1792.
(b) June 1776.
(c) December 1776.
(d) December 1792.
9. Which two states chartered the Potomac Canal Company?
(a) Maryland and Virginia.
(b) Delaware and Maryland.
(c) Delaware and Pennsylvania.
(d) Virginia and Pennsylvania.
10. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
(a) Low public opinion.
(b) Loss of mental power.
(c) Fear of anarchy.
(d) Fear of being killed.
11. What did Washington do with his fork during the tea party?
(a) He played with the fork.
(b) He dropped the fork on the floor.
(c) He through the fork at someone.
(d) He ate with the fork.
12. Which state was 15 times more populous than Delaware?
(a) New York.
(c) North Carolina.
13. What did the Treaty of Alliance commit the U.S. to protect?
(a) The French West Indies.
(b) All French ships.
(d) French settlements in South America.
14. What was the name of the group founded by supporters of Genet?
(a) Delaware Republican Society.
(b) Pennsylvanians for Genet Society.
(c) Pennsylvania Democratic Society.
(d) The French Democratic Society.
15. What group did the Indians hate the most in 1783?
(a) Spanish Louisiana.
(b) The French.
(c) British Canada.
(d) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Monroe's house guest who was also known as a "radical" American citizen?
2. How did Washington feel about the "spirit of the party" politics?
3. Who was surprised that Washington ratified the Jay Treaty?
4. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
5. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)