|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was noted as being an "Anglophobe"?
(a) John Adams.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) James Madison.
2. What group did the Indians hate the most in 1783?
(a) British Canada.
(b) The United States.
(c) The French.
(d) Spanish Louisiana.
3. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
(a) Three warships.
(b) Five warships.
(c) Fifteen warships.
(d) Ten warships.
4. What was Washington's defense against melancholy?
(a) Coffee with friends.
(c) Sitting at his desk.
5. How many miles did Washington keep travel after leaving Philadelphia?
(a) 1,500 miles.
(b) 1,887 miles.
(c) 1,777 miles.
(d) 2,000 miles.
6. How did Washington feel about the "spirit of the party" politics?
(a) Washington took a neutral stance when discussing political parties.
(b) Washington did not make any comments regarding parties.
(c) Washington disagreed with parties.
(d) Washington believed parties were good to represent all people.
7. What did Washington think would happen to the government if democratic societies continue to thrive?
(a) The government would get stronger.
(b) The government would remain the same.
(c) The government would be destroyed.
(d) The government would get weaker.
8. How did the people feel that Washington was living?
(a) About the same as many people.
(b) A little below most of the people.
(c) Better than most of the people.
(d) Too extravagantly.
9. Which state boycotted the convention?
(a) Rhode Island.
(b) South Carolina.
10. Who sat in the reserved seat to the right of Martha Washington at her tea parties?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abigail Adams.
(c) The wife of John Jay.
(d) The mayor of Philadelphia's wife.
11. Which two people denounced the Neutrality Proclamation in writing?
(a) Jefferson and Hamilton.
(b) Monroe and Hamilton.
(c) Madison and Monroe.
(d) Jefferson and Madison.
12. What state did the Whiskey rebellion take place?
(d) New York.
13. Who was responsible for representing Washington's government in Paris?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) James Madison.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
14. From which country did Washington obtain a mule as a gift?
15. What was Washington's main reason for seeking retirement?
(a) Fear of being killed.
(b) Loss of mental power.
(c) Fear of anarchy.
(d) Low public opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the convention scrap after five days of meeting?
2. Which area of the U.S. did Washington tour in April of 1791?
3. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
4. Which city was named the permanent capital in 1790?
5. Who did Washington choose to begin planning the "Federal city"?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)