|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city was named the permanent capital in 1790?
(d) Washington, D.C.
2. Who replaced Hamilton as Secretary of Treasury?
(a) Oliver Wolcott Jr.
(b) Timothy Pickering.
(c) Edmund Randolph.
(d) John Adams.
3. Which country did Washington believe the pamphlet "Common Sense" was influenced?
4. Which country was nearing a revolution that might cause some foreign affairs issues?
(a) British Canada.
5. What disease plagued Philadelphia in August 1793?
(a) Yellow fever.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) Bubonic plague.
6. Who worked out a code with Jefferson to communicate secretly with the leaders of the opposition?
(a) James Madison.
(b) John Adams.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
7. Who did Washington appoint to the position of Attorney General?
(a) Henry Knox.
(b) Edmund Randolph.
(c) James Madison.
(d) John Jay.
8. When did word of a European country's revolution reach the U.S.?
(a) June 1792.
(b) December 1776.
(c) June 1776.
(d) December 1792.
9. What state did the Whiskey rebellion take place?
(a) New York.
10. After finding out his new estate manager was ill, Washington traveled to Mount Vernon for how many days?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 14 days.
11. How did Washington feel when it came to foreign issues?
(a) He sided with Britain.
(b) He thought it was important to stay neutral.
(c) He sided with the French.
(d) He paid another country to get involved for us.
12. Which area of the U.S. did Washington tour in April of 1791?
(a) New England.
(b) The frontier.
(c) Middle colonies.
(d) The South.
13. What city was near the "fall line" of navigable rivers?
(d) New York City.
14. Who did Washington choose to begin planning the "Federal city"?
(a) Pierre Charles L'Enfant.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
15. How many French warships appeared in the New York Harbor in 1793?
(a) Five warships.
(b) Ten warships.
(c) Three warships.
(d) Fifteen warships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What British governmental decree permitted the removal of goods from neutral bottoms?
2. Who distrusted Washington and was suspicious of Philadelphia society?
3. How many pounds of sterling did Washington loose during the war?
4. Who was appointed to succeed Jefferson as Secretary of State?
5. Who replaced Henry Knox as Secretary of War?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)