|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who objected to Washington's participation in military activities?
(a) Sally Fairfax.
(b) George Fairfax.
(c) Mary Ball Washington.
(d) Lord Fairfax.
2. What cash crop did Washington rely on for the most profit?
(c) Sugar cane.
3. What city did Washington travel to to attempt getting more recruits and better fortification of the northern army near Canada?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
4. When Washington was six, his family moved to which city?
(b) Mount Vernon.
(d) Pope's Creek.
5. Which country's influx of military leaders burdened Washington?
6. What did Washington pull from his pocket to wear that only Washington's closest friends knew he had?
(d) Bow tie.
7. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
(a) Great Britain.
8. After the death of his half-brother, which position did Washington take?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Adjunct General of Virginia.
(d) Adjunct General of Delaware.
9. Where did d'Estaing spend the winter of 1779?
(b) The Indies.
(c) South America.
10. In 1755, which general enlisted Washington to navigate a path in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Anthony Wayne.
(b) Robert Lee.
(c) Edward Braddock.
(d) Horatio Gates.
11. When Washington was named head of the Continental Army, how did he feel?
(c) Ready to fight.
12. What did Washington vow to become when he returned to Virginia?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A planter.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A sea trader.
13. Where did Washington buy his best clothes?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) A local store near Mount Vernon.
(c) Countries abroad.
(d) A local store in Virginia.
14. What document, written by Thomas Paine, renewed patriotic enthusiasm?
(a) Common Sense.
(c) Declaration of Independence.
(d) U.S. Constitution.
15. Washington's secret attack strategy was similar to which group?
(a) The British.
(b) The French.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state was George Washington born?
2. Who did Washington leave in charge at the battle at New York City?
3. After the Battle of Monmouth, which state did the British retreat behind their fortifications?
4. On September 15th, what key area did the British gain control?
5. How did Washington's wife react to Washington's new role as head of the Continental Army?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)