|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Washington receive a draft of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) July 4, 1776.
(b) July 4, 1775.
(c) July 6, 1776.
(d) July 6, 1775.
2. Where did d'Estaing spend the winter of 1779?
(a) South America.
(c) The Indies.
3. What city were the Hessian soldiers encamped in 1777?
(c) Washington, D.C.
4. What did the American colonists throw overboard into the Boston Harbor?
5. How many years did Washington want military tours of duty to be?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
6. In what city was the main British base in New Jersey?
7. What river did Washington's horse fall into after the bridge gave way?
(a) Hudson River.
(b) East River.
(c) Potomac River.
(d) Housatonic River.
8. Where did Washington buy his best clothes?
(a) A local store near Mount Vernon.
(b) Countries abroad.
(c) A local store in Virginia.
(d) Washington, D.C.
9. Who planned on hiring German or Russian soldiers to supplement British troops in Massachusetts?
(a) King George IV.
(b) Major General John Sullivan.
(c) King George III.
(d) George Washington.
10. Where did Washington believe the war would be won?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In the minds of the people.
(c) On the battlefield.
(d) In Philadelphia.
11. Who was Joseph Reed?
(a) A British immigrant and military genius.
(b) A British military officer.
(c) An attorney.
(d) A merchant.
12. While the British were not attacking the United States, what was the enemy?
(a) The French.
(d) The Hessians.
13. What name was given to Washington's most effective spies?
(a) Guerilla fighters
(c) Tory girls.
14. Which person surprised the British at Stony Point?
(a) Lord Cornwallis.
(b) Thomas Conway.
(c) General Anthony Wayne.
(d) General Washington.
15. How many men made up the British army that occupied Germantown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Washington get his reading material?
2. What was Washington's estate known as?
3. What state was George Washington born?
4. What year did the First Continental Congress meet?
5. What did Washington warn his troops about as he settled them into their winter quarters?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)