|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Washington's estate known as?
(a) Mount Washington.
(b) Washington Estates.
(c) Washington Acres.
(d) Mount Vernon.
2. What did Washington invent after determining the amount of grains in a bushel of timothy?
(a) A plow.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A buggy.
(d) A sander.
3. What did Washington understand about the American people regarding British control?
(a) The American people could not remain under this control.
(b) The American people should have supported Spain.
(c) The American people were content.
(d) The American people were good partners with the British.
4. How old was George Washington when his father died?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 11 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 2 years old.
5. When Washington returned to New York City, what did the British do?
(a) The British surrendered.
(b) The British launched a suprise attack.
(c) The British retreated.
(d) The British openly attacked the Continental Army.
6. What city did George Washington and Count de Rochambeau meet in on September 20, 1780?
(c) New York.
7. Where did d'Estaing spend the winter of 1779?
(a) The Indies.
(b) South America.
8. Why was Washington chosen for his first military experience?
(a) His surveying and wilderness skills.
(b) His local prominence.
(c) His leadership skills.
(d) His negotiating skills.
9. Who was installed as the British officer in charge of American forces in 1754?
(a) General Edward Braddock.
(b) Lord Loundoun.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) King George III.
10. In 1755, which general enlisted Washington to navigate a path in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Edward Braddock.
(b) Anthony Wayne.
(c) Horatio Gates.
(d) Robert Lee.
11. What state did Cornwallis "rage through like an invincible lion"?
(a) North Carolina.
(c) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
12. What happened to the greatest combat general when attacking Quebec?
(a) He retreated.
(b) He was left behind.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He was wounded.
13. What did Congress request regarding supplies for the Continental Army?
(a) The supplies could only be purchased from France.
(b) States supply their own regiments.
(c) The supplies could only be purchased from Italy.
(d) States pay Congress for supplies.
14. In December of 1776, Washington's troops crossed which body of water?
(a) The Potomac River.
(b) Boston Harbor.
(c) The Delaware River.
(d) Chesapeake Bay.
15. How many times was George Washington's father married?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 1 time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Washington's wife react to Washington's new role as head of the Continental Army?
2. On September 15th, what key area did the British gain control?
3. What was the name of the movement to take Washington out of power?
4. Who died on the day Washington began his vacation in 1781?
5. In what city was the main British base in New Jersey?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)