|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cash crop did Washington rely on for the most profit?
(b) Sugar cane.
2. What did Washington warn his troops about as he settled them into their winter quarters?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) A British attack.
(c) A hurricane.
3. What did Washington enjoy reading?
(a) Horse and buggy manuals.
(b) Fiction novels.
(c) Agricultural manuals.
(d) Non-fiction novels.
4. What happened to the greatest combat general when attacking Quebec?
(a) He was wounded.
(b) He was killed.
(c) He was left behind.
(d) He retreated.
5. Who was in charge of the British forces in Germantown?
(a) Lord Cornwallis.
(b) General Howe.
(c) Thomas Conway.
(d) General Greene.
6. What city did George Washington and Count de Rochambeau meet in on September 20, 1780?
(c) New York.
7. Who died on the day Washington began his vacation in 1781?
(a) John Parke Custis.
(b) Daniel Parke Custis.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Martha Washington.
8. In 1755, which general enlisted Washington to navigate a path in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Anthony Wayne.
(b) Robert Lee.
(c) Horatio Gates.
(d) Edward Braddock.
9. What document, written by Thomas Paine, renewed patriotic enthusiasm?
(b) U.S. Constitution.
(c) Common Sense.
(d) Declaration of Independence.
10. After returning to Mount Vernon, what did Flexner state Washington invested his time in?
(a) He farmed.
(b) He bred horses and hound dogs.
(c) He bred cows and horses.
(d) He bred rabbits.
11. What city were the Hessian soldiers encamped in 1777?
(c) Washington, D.C.
12. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
(c) Great Britain.
13. What city did Washington travel to to attempt getting more recruits and better fortification of the northern army near Canada?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
14. What state was George Washington born?
15. After the Battle of Monmouth, which state did the British retreat behind their fortifications?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person surprised the British at Stony Point?
2. Which city's merchants established a paper money system that would not depreciate?
3. How many men made up the British army that occupied Germantown?
4. Washington believed he was cheated out of a victory at the Battle of Monmouth by which person?
5. How did Washington's wife react to Washington's new role as head of the Continental Army?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)