|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
(c) Great Britain.
2. To whom did Washington sell his extra produce?
(a) Oliver Evans.
(b) Merchants in Philadelphia.
(c) The British.
(d) Merchants in Alexandria.
3. What river did Washington's horse fall into after the bridge gave way?
(a) Potomac River.
(b) East River.
(c) Housatonic River.
(d) Hudson River.
4. What city were the Hessian soldiers encamped in 1777?
(a) Washington, D.C.
5. Which body of water did the British ships carry troops?
(a) Lake Ontario.
(b) Lake Erie.
(c) Lake Champlain.
(d) Hudson Bay.
6. Who did Washington leave in charge at the battle at New York City?
(a) Major General John Sullivan.
(b) Brigadier General Thomas Conway.
(c) General Howe.
(d) Thomas Mifflin.
7. What did the American colonists throw overboard into the Boston Harbor?
8. Which person surprised the British at Stony Point?
(a) General Anthony Wayne.
(b) Thomas Conway.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) General Washington.
9. What method of death was ordered for spies?
(a) Spies were shot.
(b) Spies were drowned.
(c) Spies were hung.
(d) Spies were dragged.
10. Who planned on hiring German or Russian soldiers to supplement British troops in Massachusetts?
(a) George Washington.
(b) King George III.
(c) King George IV.
(d) Major General John Sullivan.
11. How old was George Washington when his father died?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 2 years old.
(d) 11 years old.
12. Who covered his face in fear that Washington had been killed?
(a) General Howe.
(b) Lord Cornwallis.
(c) Colonel Richard Fitzgerald.
(d) General Greene.
13. What did Washington invent after determining the amount of grains in a bushel of timothy?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A plow.
(c) A buggy.
(d) A sander.
14. What cash crop did Washington rely on for the most profit?
(d) Sugar cane.
15. When did Washington receive a draft of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) July 6, 1776.
(b) July 4, 1775.
(c) July 4, 1776.
(d) July 6, 1775.
Short Answer Questions
1. What document, written by Thomas Paine, renewed patriotic enthusiasm?
2. Where did Washington believe the war would be won?
3. How far did Washington's troops have to march to reach the Hessian soldiers' encampment?
4. What happened to Washington when he rode towards the enemy?
5. Washington's secret attack strategy was similar to which group?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)