|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Congress request regarding supplies for the Continental Army?
(a) The supplies could only be purchased from France.
(b) States pay Congress for supplies.
(c) States supply their own regiments.
(d) The supplies could only be purchased from Italy.
2. What state did Cornwallis "rage through like an invincible lion"?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) New York.
(d) South Carolina.
3. Where did Washington believe the war would be won?
(a) On the battlefield.
(b) In Philadelphia.
(c) In the minds of the people.
(d) In Boston.
4. What art did George Washington learn as a teenager?
5. Who did Washington marry?
(a) Martha Dandridge Custis.
(b) Betsy Ross.
(c) Mary Dandridge Custis.
(d) Sally Fairfax.
6. How many years did Washington want military tours of duty to be?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
7. Who was Charles Lee?
(a) A British immigrant and military genius.
(b) An attorney.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A British military officer.
8. Washington believed he was cheated out of a victory at the Battle of Monmouth by which person?
(a) Thomas Conway.
(b) General Lee.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) General Howe.
9. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
(a) Great Britain.
10. Who did Washington receive fatherly advice from?
11. To whom did Washington sell his extra produce?
(a) The British.
(b) Oliver Evans.
(c) Merchants in Philadelphia.
(d) Merchants in Alexandria.
12. What method of death was ordered for spies?
(a) Spies were shot.
(b) Spies were hung.
(c) Spies were dragged.
(d) Spies were drowned.
13. Who was in charge of the British forces in Germantown?
(a) General Greene.
(b) General Howe.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) Thomas Conway.
14. Where did d'Estaing spend the winter of 1779?
(b) South America.
(c) The Indies.
15. When Washington returned to New York City, what did the British do?
(a) The British launched a suprise attack.
(b) The British surrendered.
(c) The British retreated.
(d) The British openly attacked the Continental Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who betrayed Washington's friendship at a retreat in New Jersey?
2. Who planned on hiring German or Russian soldiers to supplement British troops in Massachusetts?
3. What was the name of the movement to take Washington out of power?
4. How did Washington's wife react to Washington's new role as head of the Continental Army?
5. After the British raiders attacked the legislature, where did Thomas Jefferson flee?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)