|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of his half-brother, which position did Washington take?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Adjunct General of Delaware.
(d) Adjunct General of Virginia.
2. Which city's merchants established a paper money system that would not depreciate?
(b) Mount Vernon.
3. Where was the British blockade located that forced the Continental Army into a harsh winter without supplies?
(a) Chesapeake Bay.
(b) Delaware River.
(c) Potomac River.
(d) Boston Harbor.
4. Why was Washington chosen for his first military experience?
(a) His local prominence.
(b) His surveying and wilderness skills.
(c) His leadership skills.
(d) His negotiating skills.
5. Who was the greatest combat general in the war according to Washington?
(a) General Howe.
(b) Thomas Conway.
(c) General John Sullivan.
(d) Benedict Arnold.
6. What did Washington pull from his pocket to wear that only Washington's closest friends knew he had?
(b) Bow tie.
7. What did the American colonists throw overboard into the Boston Harbor?
8. What did Congress request regarding supplies for the Continental Army?
(a) States pay Congress for supplies.
(b) States supply their own regiments.
(c) The supplies could only be purchased from France.
(d) The supplies could only be purchased from Italy.
9. How many well-fed and well-armed men did Washington have at West Point?
(a) 400 men.
(b) 200 men.
(c) 1,000 men.
(d) 600 men.
10. Which person surprised the British at Stony Point?
(a) Thomas Conway.
(b) General Washington.
(c) Lord Cornwallis.
(d) General Anthony Wayne.
11. Who was Joseph Reed?
(a) A British military officer.
(b) An attorney.
(c) A British immigrant and military genius.
(d) A merchant.
12. What was the name of the movement to take Washington out of power?
(a) Greene's Gambles.
(b) Conway Controversy.
(c) Down with Washington.
(d) Conway Cabal.
13. Who was Thomas Mifflin?
(a) An attorney.
(b) A British military officer.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A British immigrant and military genius.
14. While the British were not attacking the United States, what was the enemy?
(c) The Hessians.
(d) The French.
15. What document, written by Thomas Paine, renewed patriotic enthusiasm?
(a) Common Sense.
(b) Declaration of Independence.
(d) U.S. Constitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Charles Lee?
2. What did Washington live in fear of daily?
3. In what city was the main British base in New Jersey?
4. Who covered his face in fear that Washington had been killed?
5. What happened to the greatest combat general when attacking Quebec?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)