|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Washington believed he was cheated out of a victory at the Battle of Monmouth by which person?
(a) Lord Cornwallis.
(b) Thomas Conway.
(c) General Howe.
(d) General Lee.
2. Who objected to Washington's participation in military activities?
(a) George Fairfax.
(b) Sally Fairfax.
(c) Mary Ball Washington.
(d) Lord Fairfax.
3. What year did the First Continental Congress meet?
4. While the British were not attacking the United States, what was the enemy?
(b) The French.
(c) The Hessians.
5. What state was George Washington born?
6. Who did Washington send as an envoy to France?
(a) Colonel John Laurens.
(b) Benedict Arnold.
(c) General Greene.
(d) John Andre.
7. What did the American colonists throw overboard into the Boston Harbor?
8. What state did Cornwallis "rage through like an invincible lion"?
(a) New York.
(b) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
9. How many men made up the British army that occupied Germantown?
10. When did Washington receive a draft of the Declaration of Independence?
(a) July 6, 1775.
(b) July 4, 1776.
(c) July 6, 1776.
(d) July 4, 1775.
11. In 1755, which general enlisted Washington to navigate a path in the Ohio Valley?
(a) Anthony Wayne.
(b) Edward Braddock.
(c) Robert Lee.
(d) Horatio Gates.
12. What art did George Washington learn as a teenager?
13. After the British raiders attacked the legislature, where did Thomas Jefferson flee?
(a) The mountains.
(b) His cabin.
(c) The river.
(d) The nearest horse.
14. Who was Charles Lee?
(a) A British military officer.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A British immigrant and military genius.
(d) An attorney.
15. What did Washington warn his troops about as he settled them into their winter quarters?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A British attack.
(d) An eclipse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in charge of the British forces in Germantown?
2. Where was the British blockade located that forced the Continental Army into a harsh winter without supplies?
3. In May of 1778, which country recognized the independence of the United States?
4. Which two countries began battling in the United States in 1755?
5. Who covered his face in fear that Washington had been killed?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)